Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

Are those runes ever really giving up 9 or so armor slots?

Only your chest mail can get a rune applied, since that's the only piece with the required 3 slots (and any rune effects on the breastplate apply to the entire suit of armor you have equpped). You can fill up the rest of the armor slots with whatever you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Iron Rose posted:

so how the gently caress do you play the skellige deck. because i've only managed to win thanks to cheating in an extra "Mysterious Elf" after some random dude in Toussaint played three of them.

Considering my normal playstyle is a comical storm of spies as Nilfgaard, skellige is not meshing terribly well for me.

also in related gwent news, there's likely gunna be a standalone card game which is hella exciting:

http://nerdleaks.com/videogames/cd-projekt-will-announce-gwent-the-witcher-card-game-278

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

also in related gwent news, there's likely gunna be a standalone card game which is hella exciting:

http://nerdleaks.com/videogames/cd-projekt-will-announce-gwent-the-witcher-card-game-278

They'll have to seriously redo the mechanics for it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Megazver posted:

I can't wait to spring real life gwent on people in the middle of check out like at the grocery store! "Paper or plastic?" "Know what? I could really go for some gwent!"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Megazver posted:

What needs to change? A lot of stuff that breaks the AI wouldn't necessarily work on a player.

There need to be neutral spies and rally needs to be reworked, but those are the only stand out complaints i have.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Azazell0 posted:

I skipped the Runewright stuff pretty much completely after dropping him lots of cash and learning the whole thing was really underwhelming. Did I miss out?
Many of them are pretty lame yeah, but there are some really good effects too. The one that automatically casts a free Quen when combat starts is convenient if nothing else, and I also loved the one that just makes you straight-up immune to arrows and bolts, which saves you a ton of headache when fighting big groups of bandits. I'd also imagine the one that gives you a free second cast of a sign whenever you cast one is potentially crazy powerful with sign-heavy builds, though I didn't try it myself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jimtech posted:

Make sure you go back to your vineyard and check out your bedroom for an added surprise!

Ahahahaha I thought you were talking about Regis' gift, so when I went back there again to pick some stuff in my stash up I got a very pleasant surprise.

chaosapiant posted:

I can't wait to spring real life gwent on people in the middle of check out like at the grocery store! "Paper or plastic?" "Know what? I could really go for some gwent!"

Clerk quietly nods their approval

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 8, 2016

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jerusalem posted:

Ahahahaha I thought you were talking about Regis' gift, so when I went back there again to pick some stuff in my stash up I got a very pleasant surprise.

I've already uninstalled the game, what did I miss?

quote:

Clerk quietly nods their approval

I love the slow and sombre nod they give when you challenge them.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Regarding Gwent, the only people I need to battle are the ones for the quests, right? All the other cards can be bought? I wanna play the game sometimes and collect em all, but don't wanna battle every merchant and smith.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mr E posted:

Regarding Gwent, the only people I need to battle are the ones for the quests, right? All the other cards can be bought? I wanna play the game sometimes and collect em all, but don't wanna battle every merchant and smith.

You do need to battle a bunch of random merchants and smiths, not all of them in the game but a sizable chunk. Beating them the first time gets you a random card, thereafter some junk crafting materials.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mr E posted:

No, you have to battle like 90% of the merchants/smiths to get all the cards.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Just wrapped up BaW. gently caress me this game is so good.

I wound up respeccing into a sign heavy build for the new content. The mutation that makes Aard freeze things is hilarious. I'm going to collect clips of torsos detaching and flying to the moon and play yakety sax over them.

e: now I want to experience the books. Are the audiobooks good?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

I've already uninstalled the game, what did I miss?

If you've ended up with Yennefer as Geralt's main love interest, after the two of you share a touching conversation, once you've left Corvo Bianco and come back you'll find the stuffed unicorn set up in your bedroom :laugh:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jerusalem posted:

If you've ended up with Yennefer as Geralt's main love interest, after the two of you share a touching conversation, once you've left Corvo Bianco and come back you'll find the stuffed unicorn set up in your bedroom :laugh:

I knew about the conversation and I know she mentioned that loving unicorn but she brought it!? "Four legs. Category: Taxidermy." will be funny forever

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

RatHat posted:

No, you have to battle like 90% of the merchants/smiths to get all the cards.

Oh, ok. May save that for later.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Finished Blood and Wine last night. Been playing these games since W1 was first released and seeing that look to the camera at the end was right at me. Now there's an emotional void other games just won't fill. Time to start W1 again and go through the trilogy a third time!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm reading the books--just got through the second one--and I'm beginning to think A) Yennefer is a total and complete bitch, and B) Geralt is a loving sucker

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ciaphas posted:

I'm reading the books--just got through the second one--and I'm beginning to think A) Yennefer is a total and complete bitch, and B) Geralt is a loving sucker

Yennefer and Geralt are both hard to love rear end in a top hat people and that's why they are perfect for each other. One of the very few couples in any medium besides real life that seems like a real couple to me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, who would date a hypocritical, grumpy, taciturn complainer with a habit of disappearing for months on end and reappearing hell-bent on some ridiculous quest?

But yeah a lot of this is drawn from noir detective novels so Yennefer has to be mysterious and unavailable. She's the dame.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How exactly does bartering work? Is it possible to get less than the initial reward or is it basically risk-free?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RatHat posted:

How exactly does bartering work? Is it possible to get less than the initial reward or is it basically risk-free?

I don't think you can get less than the initial reward, but I did have an odd experience in the Wine Wars quest - I convinced the first guy to give me 100 crowns more than the initial offer, then the next person said,"I'll beat whatever offer they made!" and then got pissed at me for asking for one crown higher than that and ended up only accepting 10 crowns less!

I only failed the bartering once (with the rear end in a top hat with the villa suffering quakes) and he just snapped,"Forget it, you'll take what I initially offered or nothing!"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I don't think you can get less than the initial reward, but I did have an odd experience in the Wine Wars quest - I convinced the first guy to give me 100 crowns more than the initial offer, then the next person said,"I'll beat whatever offer they made!" and then got pissed at me for asking for one crown higher than that and ended up only accepting 10 crowns less!

That's weird. Who did you do first? I talked to the guy first and the girl did offer me way more than I got from him.

E: Wait it's always that order isn't it? Idk then

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maybe it was because I asked for so much more from the first guy? Normally I'm conservative on that stuff but I figured the guy was desperate and it wouldn't hurt to highball him and see how he reacted.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Oh man, I just climbed Rapunzel's tower. I suppose that's probably what would happen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tirranek posted:

Oh man, I just climbed Rapunzel's tower. I suppose that's probably what would happen.

Yeah that was a hell of a moment. Did you spot Prince Charming on the way up?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Just bought Wild Hunt's expansion pass (probably could have waited until the Steam Sale, but gently caress it) and am currently downloading everything after just beating Witcher 2 on Roche's path. This is the path I'm going to play Witcher 3 from, but I'm planning to go back and try out Iorveth's story since I heard the game is radically different and it's not just dialogue changes.

Side note, according to the achievement description, this was Saskia?? :aaa: Something told me to spare its life, so I hope that the decision has ramifications in Wild Hunt. Granted, on my path, I had considerably limited interactions with them. But still!

Also,

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just bought Wild Hunt's expansion pass (probably could have waited until the Steam Sale, but gently caress it) and am currently downloading everything after just beating Witcher 2 on Roche's path. This is the path I'm going to play Witcher 3 from, but I'm planning to go back and try out Iorveth's story since I heard the game is radically different and it's not just dialogue changes.

Side note, according to the achievement description, this was Saskia?? :aaa: Something told me to spare its life, so I hope that the decision has ramifications in Wild Hunt. Granted, on my path, I had considerably limited interactions with them. But still!

Also,

The only decision that matters from W2 to W3 is whether or not you got the awesome neck tattoo :slick:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Something told me to spare its life, so I hope that the decision has ramifications in Wild Hunt.

I'll save you the trouble of asking about it again later: it doesn't.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, armies trampling over everything as they conquer everything you saw in Witcher 2 kinda nullifies major ramifications from that game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah, armies trampling over everything as they conquer everything you saw in Witcher 2 kinda nullifies major ramifications from that game.

She was a fuckin dragon, though, man.

A dragon!

EDIT: Also, is there any way to keep Triss permanently polymorphed into an action figure?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 9, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

RE: the fantasy book world I accidentally stepped on Thumbelina and lost my poo poo and laughed uncontrollably for about 15 minutes

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

What's the deal with Saskia anyway? Seems kind of loving crazy she's entirely absent, unmentioned, barely referenced in Witcher 3

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

hemophilia posted:

RE: the fantasy book world I accidentally stepped on Thumbelina and lost my poo poo and laughed uncontrollably for about 15 minutes

Oh my God I missed this, only heard them mentioned by The Big Bad Wolf complaining they made a lovely drinking buddy.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

hemophilia posted:

What's the deal with Saskia anyway? Seems kind of loving crazy she's entirely absent, unmentioned, barely referenced in Witcher 3

The Upper Aedirn plotline just got dropped. Saskia and Iorveth are off doing something else.

Realistically, them trying to be the North's little Elf Switzerland analogue would be a bad idea with Nilfgaard rushing their way up the continent. Especially since Kovir is already Switzerland.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God I missed this, only heard them mentioned by The Big Bad Wolf complaining they made a lovely drinking buddy.

There are a few areas in there that don't have any quest markers associated with them. That's one, and I also saved the goose that lays golden eggs from meeting the end it does in the fairytale.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

There are a few areas in there that don't have any quest markers associated with them. That's one, and I also saved the goose that lays golden eggs from meeting the end it does in the fairytale.

Yep I did get that one, the reward was pretty great for it too. I love the notices on their noticeboard, they're so fun.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

wiegieman posted:

The Upper Aedirn plotline just got dropped. Saskia and Iorveth are off doing something else.

Realistically, them trying to be the North's little Elf Switzerland analogue would be a bad idea with Nilfgaard rushing their way up the continent. Especially since Kovir is already Switzerland.

Wait, was there a whole nother region planned? Shame. I palled around with Iorveth in The Witcher 2 and was really let down the only scoiatel in novigrad/velen are a bunch of losers that aren't named Iorveth :(

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Jizz into Darkness posted:

I've been using Euphoria for a while and I get why you think that the buff vanishes when you fast-travel, but it actually just seems to deactivate if you've been out of combat for a while, then re-activate when combat starts again.

Euphoria is bugged and does get disabled after combat. Fortunately there is a mod to fix it.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1587/

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Was waiting for a patch or something but I can't even find someone else having similar issues so might as well ask; has anyone else had problems loading textures ever since the 1.21 patch came out?

I got huge problems with it, mostly buildings (sometimes characters other than Geralt) and of course mostly noticeable in the cities. Get a bunch of low res stuff mostly on facades and roads, sometimes nothing at all so it looks like geometry is all hosed up. At times the exterior of a building might stay low res for a looong time but the interior will be just fine, sometimes meditating even for an hour seems to fix things (otherwise they can take 5+ seconds loading.)

I never had any issues of the sort before 1.21, bought the game last winter sale, and I've been playing a bunch for the last couple weeks so I'm sure everything was a-ok beforehand. Mind you I checked and it happens with or without mods, on Ultra, High and Medium settings; albeit really rarely with the latter.

It really confuses me since I thought Toussaint's streaming tech wasn't implemented in the rest of the world but what do I know. Here's some pics (these were taken with Reshade but as I said, game does the same with or without it).

For the record I'm on Windows 10, Geforce 970, i5 4590. I tried verifying the integrity of the game's cache, did a clean driver install as well and tested the last couple Nvidia drivers but nothing changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah it sucks if you went Iorveth path, but I always went with the idea that the Pontar is doing fine and Saskia and Iorveth are just busy managing it. The game doesn't contradict this and I don't think Nilfgaard would want to gently caress with them just yet, especially when the empire is in such a state where Radovid can kick their asses.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 9, 2016