Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Hearts of Iron 4 just came out. There is a hidden achievement. You have to get Wojtek as a commander through a complicated series of triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Splode posted:

Isn't this a myth? I am pretty sure this doesn't happen.
Mythbusters did it, but their methodology was somewhat flawed what with them using what amounts to a lifeboat and extrapolating the results to the Titanic.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Arquinsiel posted:

Mythbusters did it, but their methodology was somewhat flawed what with them using what amounts to a lifeboat and extrapolating the results to the Titanic.

Yeah I saw that, and I agree their experiment was pretty worthless. The physics of the claim don't make all that much sense though. Are there any reliable accounts of it happening?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It sounds like a solid myth. However, myths aren't necessarily untrue. Under some conditions myths may be realizable - but as far as I'm aware, there isn't any proper research into this topic, and then there's vague claims of it happening and weak theories to explain the supposed phenomenon.

Personally I find it unlikely that a sinking ship could draw anyone down with it, at least if they wore life jackets, unless the ship sunk at submarine crash dive speed. Swimming while panicked is hard. Without buoyancy devices and while wearing their uniforms it's not too hard to imagine most sailors unexpectedly falling into water just naturally drowning to the waves by the time the ship had completely sunk.

We originally evolved to live in trees for a reason, going back to ground level and then even down to the coastline was a fatal error I'm tellin' ya!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I think Saint Celestine had it - it's not being pulled in from suction, it's being caught in the roiled aerated water from the air escaping from the ship that makes it impossible to swim or float.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hogmartin posted:

I think Saint Celestine had it - it's not being pulled in from suction, it's being caught in the roiled aerated water from the air escaping from the ship that makes it impossible to swim or float.

That's what's going on during the first Vamp bossfight in MGS2

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Nenonen posted:

We originally evolved to live in trees for a reason, going back to ground level and then even down to the coastline was a fatal error I'm tellin' ya!

Whoa never realized our thread had its very own baron.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

hogmartin posted:

It's this.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

hogmartin posted:

This has actually been posited as a possible explanation for the mysterious disappearances of ships in the Bermuda Triangle. There's a lot of methane hydrate in the seafloor sediments there, and if some were to break loose the sudden release of methane would cause any ships sailing over it to lose buoyancy and sink in an instant.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

This has actually been posited as a possible explanation for the mysterious disappearances of ships in the Bermuda Triangle. There's a lot of methane hydrate in the seafloor sediments there, and if some were to break loose the sudden release of methane would cause any ships sailing over it to lose buoyancy and sink in an instant.

Hasn't an analysis of ship and airplane disappearances actually found that the Bermuda Triangle is statistically no different from any other random part of the ocean nearby?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Deteriorata posted:

I thought some folks worked the numbers and figured out that the amount of methane required is simply not present in the requisite densities and volumes.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Hasn't an analysis of ship and airplane disappearances actually found that the Bermuda Triangle is statistically no different from any other random part of the ocean nearby?

FAUXTON posted:

I thought some folks worked the numbers and figured out that the amount of methane required is simply not present in the requisite densities and volumes.

Beats me. It's not something I spend a lot of time keeping current on, it's just something I read a while back.

It's a better explanation than Atlanteans in Bolivia capturing them with submarines, anyway.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

Beats me. It's not something I spend a lot of time keeping current on, it's just something I read a while back.

It's a better explanation than Atlanteans in Bolivia capturing them with submarines, anyway.

Out of curiosity, I pulled up the Wikipedia article on the Triangle. It says the reputation of being unusually deadly was created in the 1950s and exaggerations just kept building on a single, sensational report of some disappeared Avenger torpedo bombers (which was likely due to disorientation and running out of fuel in the open ocean). There was also sloppy research, like writing down that a boat was reported missing but forgetting to check if it ever came back.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Avengers did get lost. There is quite a detailed description of what probably happened somewhere in my bookmarks, but essentially the leader got disoriented and everyone did what they were supposed to, and stayed with him until they all ran out of fuel.

A few years later some kind of sci-fi magazine ran a story where they falsified a bunch of radio transmissions where members of Flight 19 said "the ocean looks all wrong" and other such things. The myth just took off from there.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

MrMojok posted:

The Avengers did get lost. There is quite a detailed description of what probably happened somewhere in my bookmarks, but essentially the leader got disoriented and everyone did what they were supposed to, and stayed with him until they all ran out of fuel.

A few years later some kind of sci-fi magazine ran a story where they falsified a bunch of radio transmissions where members of Flight 19 said "the ocean looks all wrong" and other such things. The myth just took off from there.

The story I remember definitely made it sound like the leader (instructor) got disoriented and everybody else stuck with him even though it sounds like some of them definitely knew what was going on and how to get back to land.

To be fair though, the ocean does look all wrong. Stupid ocean. All wrong-looking.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I was looking at more of the Vintage LIFE magazine issues, and I found this hilarious, notably the last sentence:

""BRITISH BRIDES posted:

GI wives, anxious to join husbands, demonstrate at the American Embassy

In Great Britain there are now about 40,000 British girls who are wartime brides of US servicemen. Some have not seen their husbands for two or three years and all want to get to America and settle down as soon as possible. But with thousands of high-point soldiers awaiting transatlantic shipping space, British brides have had to wait. Two months after war’s end their patience broke down. In London the brides conducted a demonstration before the American Embassy and held a mass meeting. In Bristol they put on a baby show, hoping to organize public opinion with photographs of gurgling Anglo-Americans. Parliament considered the situation, decided gravely it was a US problem and ran for cover.

Edit: From a caption: Mother of two parades before US Embassy. At a subsequent meeting an Embassy representative said everything possible was being done, left hurriedly by side door.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 8, 2016

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Saint Celestine posted:

Everyone died in horrible ways while crossing the Hindu Kush mountains in winter while being shot at.

Edit: 1 person survived.
Edit: Harry Flashman survived

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tomn posted:

I was looking at more of the Vintage LIFE magazine issues, and I found this hilarious, notably the last sentence:

Well, to be fair it was a US problem. Not much the UK could do about US immigration.

I met one of those women when I lived over in the US, actually; she would have been in her 80s I guess, had lived in the US for most of her life, sounded totally American to me but apparently to my American in-laws of the time she still had a British accent.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nenonen posted:

Afghanistan is the Bizarro-Switzerland. Instead of Afghans leaving their home country to murder everyone, everyone feels compulsed to go there to get murdered.

Now I'm trying to think of which Swiss ethnicity corresponds to which Afghan one. French speakers definitely = Tajiks, but that's an easy one.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it's going to end with a dude in the mountains throwing rocks at your head whichever you pick

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Tomn posted:

Edit: From a caption: Mother of two parades before US Embassy. At a subsequent meeting an Embassy representative said everything possible was being done, left hurriedly by side door.

My favorite strange LIFE find was a 1944 full-page photo of some 20-year-old clerk staring contemplatively at a Japanese soldier's skull that her beau had sent her (autographed) from the beaches of New Guinea. The last sentence of the caption was along the lines of "the armed forces frown very strongly on this sort of thing".

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

feedmegin posted:

Well, to be fair it was a US problem. Not much the UK could do about US immigration.

I met one of those women when I lived over in the US, actually; she would have been in her 80s I guess, had lived in the US for most of her life, sounded totally American to me but apparently to my American in-laws of the time she still had a British accent.

Yeah, I was just amused by how apparently, nobody in charge at all wanted to face the women calling for their husbands and were willing to toss the hot potato as quick as they could or even literally slip out side exits.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Hargrimm posted:

My favorite strange LIFE find was a 1944 full-page photo of some 20-year-old clerk staring contemplatively at a Japanese soldier's skull that her beau had sent her (autographed) from the beaches of New Guinea. The last sentence of the caption was along the lines of "the armed forces frown very strongly on this sort of thing".

Standards? alright sure, gold or money? a little dubious now. Watches? they can be bought again no biggie. Weapons? they are neat trophies and will someday be in a museum.

Human remains? uh...

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

feedmegin posted:

My great aunt was a GI bride, she got married at eighteen and has lived in upstate New York ever since. She's got one of those curious Bill Bryson-esque accents that can't quite make up their mind where they are. Did mean that on my great grandmother's 100th birthday she got a card from the queen AND the president, though.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

"Dear John,

stop sending me morbid crap.

Yours,
Jenny"

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

5 June: When you have four armies attacking all at once, a certain amount of compression is required. In an ideal world, the first day of the Brusilov Offensive, the first day at Verdun, and the first day on the Somme would all get the same amount of detail. C'est la vie. Now then. Remember the one German submarine that succeeded in laying mines before Jutland, and did it nowhere near anywhere the Grand Fleet was ever going to go? Turns out those mines are in the perfect place to catch a ship sailing from Scapa Flow to Archangel on a diplomatic mission. The submarine's missed the fleet, but it has just bagged Lord Kitchener. More fighting at Fort Vaux; the Sunny Subaltern prepares for an aborted bayonet charge; Emilio Lusso is now on the Asiago plateau and is ripping out funny stories too fast to keep up with them; and Bernard Adams nurses a raging crush on one of his young lance-corporals.

6 June: The Brusilov Offensive continues dishing out a massive kicking near Lutsk, but it's a really bad day for people we know and enemy shells. Bernard Adams emerges from a dugout to find yesterday's lance-corporal not just dead, but brutally mutilated; and the Sunny Subaltern is cut down while advancing across open ground and narrowly avoids dying of his wound. Fort Vaux is all but done for, with men literally licking the walls to avoid drinking their own piss; Louis Barthas is back up the line, but in a quiet sector; JRR Tolkien arrives for a brief stay at the Etaples Bull Ring, where he gets to do some research for Lord of the Rings; and E.S. Thompson hears that "Our fleet has smashed the main German fleet".

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 9, 2016

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Goddamn your blog is amazing mate

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

lenoon posted:

Goddamn your blog is amazing mate

It's soooo good.

I love how the story of Jutland has already morphed from the version Connes heard to literally the exact opposite by the time Thompson got word of it.

EDIT: Lance-Corporal Allan :smith:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Poor Adams. We've come to expect Trin's guys to watch their friends and comrades die, but someone you have a crush on? :smith:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
"Nothing of importance has occured."

:smith:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Oh poo poo, looks like I'm going to be in another book. Someone in England buy this for me, TIA https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Level-History-Paper-Perception/dp/1447985451

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Oh poo poo, looks like I'm going to be in another book. Someone in England buy this for me, TIA https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Level-History-Paper-Perception/dp/1447985451

loving nifty, what's in the book?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Deteriorata posted:

The Bermuda Triangle is one of the most trafficked parts of the ocean. Ships sink and planes crash at an average rate there, it's just that there are so many of them that it results in a lot of losses.

Should that be June?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Chamale posted:

The Bermuda Triangle is one of the most trafficked parts of the ocean. Ships sink and planes crash at an average rate there, it's just that there are so many of them that it results in a lot of losses.

Should that be June?

Listen: Lord Kitchener has come unstuck in time.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

You're in a textbook: This obviously your views are now the established mainstream! (How did you get tank blog posts into a A-level History textbook?)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Empress Theonora posted:

Listen: Lord Kitchener has come unstuck in time.

It's really quite simple. Admiral Jellicoe was devastated by routing his ship the wrong way, and then he went to the head and saw a butterfly, so he took a photograph of it, and then he jumped back in time and pushed the Action Stations alarm, so Hampshire never left port, and now there's a huge waterspout heading right for Scapa Flow...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

nothing to seehere posted:

You're in a textbook: This obviously your views are now the established mainstream! (How did you get tank blog posts into a A-level History textbook?)

For some strange reason they wanted Guderian's guide on anti-tank guns.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Veritek83 posted:

Sure, I don't doubt that there was a plan drawn up, but he's clearly interested in it as a means of minimizing Nazi poo poo.

Posting from the past, the link I have is from the US Naval Institute

http://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/1998-01/most-deadly-plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

5 June: When you have four armies attacking all at once, a certain amount of compression is required. In an ideal world, the first day of the Brusilov Offensive, the first day at Verdun, and the first day on the Somme would all get the same amount of detail. C'est la vie. Now then. Remember the one German submarine that succeeded in laying mines before Jutland, and did it nowhere near anywhere the Grand Fleet was ever going to go? Turns out those mines are in the perfect place to catch a ship sailing from Scapa Flow to Archangel on a diplomatic mission. The submarine's missed the fleet, but it has just bagged Lord Kitchener. More fighting at Fort Vaux; the Sunny Subaltern prepares for an aborted bayonet charge; Emilio Lusso is now on the Asiago plateau and is ripping out funny stories too fast to keep up with them; and Bernard Adams nurses a raging crush on one of his young lance-corporals.

6 June: The Brusilov Offensive continues dishing out a massive kicking near Lutsk, but it's a really bad day for people we know and enemy shells. Bernard Adams emerges from a dugout to find yesterday's lance-corporal not just dead, but brutally mutilated; and the Sunny Subaltern is cut down while advancing across open ground and narrowly avoids dying of his wound. Fort Vaux is all but done for, with men literally licking the walls to avoid drinking their own piss; Louis Barthas is back up the line, but in a quiet sector; JRR Tolkien arrives for a brief stay at the Etaples Bull Ring, where he gets to do some research for Lord of the Rings; and E.S. Thompson hears that "Our fleet has smashed the main German fleet".

quote:

Fifteen minutes later, the ship is sinking. 662 people were aboard. 12 survived. 655 went down with her.

Did 5 come back up? :downsrim:

• Locked thread