Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Pulled over by a cop who suspects you of drug trafficking, but don't have a ton of cash in the car? Oklahoma will now gladly seize the contents of the bank accounts associated with your debit cards instead!

Targeting them to pull their program that does that. Holy poo poo that is a scary device from a tech standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Thr delusion of the perfect candidate fades with age. Always vote, never write in. I do not claim you should always vote for a major party, especially in safe states, but do not reduce your vote to total irrelevance. Fill in bubbles.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Thr delusion of the perfect candidate fades with age. Always vote, never write in. I do not claim you should always vote for a major party, especially in safe states, but do not reduce your vote to total irrelevance. Fill in bubbles.

Lisa Murkowski would like to have a word with you.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Pulled over by a cop who suspects you of drug trafficking, but don't have a ton of cash in the car? Oklahoma will now gladly seize the contents of the bank accounts associated with your debit cards instead!

Civil forfeiture is so loving stupid. Can we please get a SCOTUS majority willing to strike it down as the disgusting violation of rights that it is? Maybe a lawsuit about the insanity of this device could be the vehicle used to do so.

Epic High Five posted:

Can't wait for these ERAD machines to find their way into the black market

This kind of poo poo has existed on the black market and in the hands of thieves for years though. :confused:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Civil forfeiture is so loving stupid. Can we please get a SCOTUS majority willing to strike it down as the disgusting violation of rights that it is? Maybe a lawsuit about the insanity of this device could be the vehicle used to do so.

This kind of poo poo has existed on the black market and in the hands of thieves for years though. :confused:

There's at least some sense in seizing large stacks of cash that are accompanying illicit activities, what in the loving hell is a cop using to base the amount he's pulling out of your bank account on?

edit: Also how are they doing that without a pin? I'd totally be like "arrest me, I ain't giving you my loving pin"

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Lisa Murkowski would like to have a word with you.

She ran an actual campaign as a strong affiliate of a major party. Seems pretty obvious that MOOSE was referring to protest votes.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

I wonder how many souls that set cost...

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Jesus gently caress I didn't think civil forfeiture could get worse but here we loving are. This is god drat insane. Jesus Christ. WHAT!?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
There seems to be a decided lack of interactive electoral maps that let you gently caress around with demographic turnout without having to calculate it out on your own.

The one with the most variables that I cold find is Boston.com's from 2008. In addition to race, it lets you play with gender and religion. I assume FiveThiryEight's Swing-O-Matic uses the same demographic data, but they don't let you see what happens if Trump really pisses off both the Mormons and Women.

2008's What If Electoral Map

Of course whatever you enter is going to spit back a fake newspaper front page that will tell you either Obama or McCain won in your scenario.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I have pretty much no expectation that a Hillary administration will keep the Iran deal against the wishes of Israel. She may not actually invade Iran(which is what Israel probably really wants), but she is most likely going to toe the line with Bibi's demands as much as possible.

Hillary can not unilaterally kill the Iran deal. In the dark future where Trump wins he can't either. We are just one of the 6 countries Iran was negotiating with. A large part of the sanctions which Iran negotiated their way out of with the deal was being blocked from trade with Europe, China, and Russia in addition to the US. If the new President decides they don't like the deal they have to go back and convince China, France, Germany, Russia, and the U.K. to go and reinstate their sanctions because the Americans decided they weren't swinging their dick around sufficiently. It's not going to happen.

The thing that ends the Iran deal is Iran pissing on the terms and triggering the reimposition of sanctions.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Jesus gently caress I didn't think civil forfeiture could get worse but here we loving are. This is god drat insane. Jesus Christ. WHAT!?

My favorite part is the company that makes the money sucking machine taking 7.7% of all funds seized.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It just goes to show that policing being a for-profit enterprise is the default state of things; it takes good government (at least a better government than Oklahoma has) to force it to give up the profit motive.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Anchor Wanker posted:

I wonder how many souls that set cost...

Probably 12k

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
That they get sued into goddamn oblivion is too much to hope for, isn't it?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

There is literally no upside to your principled stance, the best case scenario is that it doesn't matter and the worst is that it helps Trump and his down ticket allies.

Ehhhh... Voting for someone gives them and their platform legitimacy so I kind of see his side of things. I'll be voting for Hillary in the general, but at the same time I'm kind of hoping it's not a blowout because I don't want people thinking her brand of center-right progressivism is why people voted for her.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Okay I found a little more in depth of an article, it sounds like these things only grab cash off of prepaid card. There's some speculation in the article whether they could tap bank accounts but that doesn't really make any sense nor have an factual basis. Sounds like they're trying to nab people who are using prepaid cards to move illicit cash.

Still bad, but much closer to normal asset forfeiture bad, instead of the over the top obscene poo poo that I originally thought.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2016/06/08/new-frontiers-in-asset-forfeiture/

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I feel like grabbing money off of bank cards would be difficult since that's a matter that will often cross state lines.

But yeah, gently caress civil forfeiture

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Banks wouldn't be very happy if they started getting chargebacks on the "civil forfeiture" that was just charged to the account they manage. They'd end up having to use their big bank lawyers to prove the innocence of everyone falsely accused by corrupt cops, and their political connections would end the practice basically immediately. The market works!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Jarmak posted:

Okay I found a little more in depth of an article, it sounds like these things only grab cash off of prepaid card. There's some speculation in the article whether they could tap bank accounts but that doesn't really make any sense nor have an factual basis. Sounds like they're trying to nab people who are using prepaid cards to move illicit cash.

Still bad, but much closer to normal asset forfeiture bad, instead of the over the top obscene poo poo that I originally thought.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2016/06/08/new-frontiers-in-asset-forfeiture/

I feel like at some level all you would really need is a specialized version of the card machine the pizza guy has.

As far as it only being at prepaid cards right now, I still feel that's pretty loving obscene. It's not taking your life savings on first suspicion, but I think the ambition is on display here.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Well this part is terrifying

It shows the state is paying ERAD Group Inc., $5,000 for the software and scanners, then 7.7 percent of all the cash the highway patrol seizes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
At this point anyone who can really needs to just get the gently caress out of Oklahoma.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jarmak posted:

You appear to be correct. Their ERAD-RECOVERY service talks only about prepaid balances. Their access to debit and credit cards is limited to identification of the issuer information, which anyone can request as a service. They could still seize the cards themselves and go through a court order to grab the accounts as well, but they could always do that.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 9, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jarmak posted:

There's at least some sense in seizing large stacks of cash that are accompanying illicit activities, what in the loving hell is a cop using to base the amount he's pulling out of your bank account on?

edit: Also how are they doing that without a pin? I'd totally be like "arrest me, I ain't giving you my loving pin"

considering you only pay for drugs with cash i don't think there's any real way to spin it other then "lol gently caress you"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Those prepaid cards do seem like a pretty good way to transport huge sums of illicit money.

Remember that the EU had to get rid of the 500 euro bill since it was only being used for drug money.

The whole civil forfeiture thing is already terrible, so this is only a little worse.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

vorebane posted:

I feel like at some level all you would really need is a specialized version of the card machine the pizza guy has.

As far as it only being at prepaid cards right now, I still feel that's pretty loving obscene. It's not taking your life savings on first suspicion, but I think the ambition is on display here.

I'm not defending civil asset forfeiture but part of the reason that article was so shocking was that going after bank accounts totally breaks the entire rationale behind it. Prepaid cards are much more like cash and don't really represent that much of a change in the status quo.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The laughably evil part is the 7.7% fee. Which legislature is loving a board member for that company?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
This is the paul ryan version of amergin's av, i think

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
DHS link about it:
https://www.dhs.gov/science-and-technology/prepaid-card-reader-aids-seizing-fraudulent-cards

It isn't just an OK thing, it's a federal thing. It is basically another failing attempt to combat a part of drug trade.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Especially since the biggest user of prepaid cards are poor, unbanked people who still need a card for bills/online purchases or whatever. What a surprise that this practice hits the unfortunate the hardest.

There was something on npr about how despite a law against it being passed, cops in NM (i think) were still going hog wild on forfeiture. It more than many other issues totally galls me and I'd hope for a supreme court case if they can get 5 liberals. Or hell, even the right conservative would be against it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vorebane posted:

The ambition is most certainly on flagrant display, and it's racist as hell. Say you're a migrant farm worker who is heading back home to Monterrey or Saltillo as your visa is expiring. You've either gotten paid in cash regularly by the farm or you've gotten paid via check and cashed it at the branch of account over in, say, Alliance. You're unbanked because you aren't a permanent resident yet and while many banks will be happy to bank you, you aren't looking to deal with dormant accounts and fees and poo poo next time you're up here for work. You top up your phone, wire most of your money home via Sigue or whoever, and buy a prepaid card or two with $500 a piece. You hop in your truck and take I-80 as usual, you stop in South Omaha for some actual food, swing down I-29 and hop on I-35 when you get to KC and you've got nicely-spaced cities to rest in all the way to the border.

Except Officer Tornado Bait in loving Edmond pulls you over for "busted tail light" and straight up robs you. Now you're cuffed on the roadside in some of the most hostile territory in the US with no loving money, an expiring visa, and a half a tank of gas. Ofcr. Bait has a dog scratching the poo poo out of your truck's upholstery while he's radioing back to the pigpen to see what else they can do to gently caress with you.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Are Hillary's Email still a complete nonscandel that aren't a threat of incareration at all?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Stallion Cabana posted:

Are Hillary's Email still a complete nonscandel that aren't a threat of incareration at all?

Yes.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

okay just making sure. I have been busy doing Masters work for the past few weeks and I'm still hearing about them so I came to check. Thanks

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Oklahoma is just a whiter, shittier and more boring Texas with worse food and even less sense. The very air wants everyone there to die, and one can sympathize.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Stallion Cabana posted:

okay just making sure. I have been busy doing Masters work for the past few weeks and I'm still hearing about them so I came to check. Thanks
You'll be hearing about them regularly until about 2018, then it'll pick up again in 2020 through the end of 2021 Get used to it.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

So only the already wealthy can afford to work for them? How is this a good thing?

Executives. They have like a dozen executives only two of which draw a salary. The rest volunteer. The boots on the ground delivering aid get paid as normal.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

zoux posted:

Here in Austin after we "Kicked out" Uber and Lyft, we had six new ridesharing companies in a month, all of whom are more than happy to meet city requirements.

I doubt they're as good as Uber or Lyft yet (or ever) but it's interesting that Uber and Lyft were actually acting as a barrier to competition and innovation while pretending that's all they cared about.

I was wondering why I never saw opponents of proposition 1 bring up that possibility, because it was the first thing that came to mind when I heard about Uber/Lyft's threat to take their ball and go home. "So Austin will lose some out-of-state companies who throw tantrums at the mildest hint of regulation in favor of local ones who will jump at the chance to capitalize on a lucrative market? Sounds like a plan!"

(Starting without any preconceptions about Uber/Lyft as companies - I'm out in the hill country where owning a car is a practical necessity - just watching the whole Austin fiasco go down was enough to convince me of their utter shittiness. At every single step of the process, they behaved in about as petulant a manner as I've ever seen from any ostensibly professional organization, engaged in deceptive and underhanded tactics, and frankly just gave the impression of being run by arrogant, spoiled manchildren. I don't think they even cared about the specifics of the city council ordinance so much as they resented the audacity of the idea that they should face any sort of oversight or regulations whatsoever.)

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Stereotype posted:

DHS link about it:
https://www.dhs.gov/science-and-technology/prepaid-card-reader-aids-seizing-fraudulent-cards

It isn't just an OK thing, it's a federal thing. It is basically another failing attempt to combat a part of drug trade.

"Failing." Like when they don't interdict drugs coming in from Mexico, just the cash going out.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Goddamnit, now I really want Hill to do the Welcome gesture (DS2 version) at the beginning of every speech.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Probably 12k
:golfclap:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

McDowell posted:

If you are in a swing state you can make the argument of voting for the lesser of two evils - but it has been made quite clear to me that Hillary doesn't need my individual vote.

Congress is what needs your vote, and many like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

zoux posted:

Here in Austin after we "Kicked out" Uber and Lyft, we had six new ridesharing companies in a month, all of whom are more than happy to meet city requirements.

I doubt they're as good as Uber or Lyft yet (or ever) but it's interesting that Uber and Lyft were actually acting as a barrier to competition and innovation while pretending that's all they cared about.

Uber's entire business model is running at a loss off of VC money to force the competition out of the market

• Locked thread