Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cowslips Warren posted:

But you see HER gimmick will be because she is a girl! Oh, and she is an asexual girl (half her Facebook posts are pushing for asexual awareness) so that means something, right?

Your friend sounds absolutely insufferable

How many of your recent conversations have involved her sexuality, this brilliant youtube plan to make money and get attention with no work at all, or some mixture of both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

mobby_6kl posted:

Sometimes my hands are dirty before I pee so I wash them so as to not touch my dick with gross dirty hands. I mean usually I'd wash them afterwards too but washing beforehand shouldn't be that mindboggling.

Save time and just ask someone to hold it for you.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Your friend sounds absolutely insufferable

How many of your recent conversations have involved her sexuality, this brilliant youtube plan to make money and get attention with no work at all, or some mixture of both

Mostly it's the asexual stuff. She posts at least 1 or 2 things on Facebook a day about how no one cares about asexuals and you can still love people if you're asexual and not having sex doesn't make you weird or selfish. She used to be a brony or the female version of it, but she went from loving that show to hating it because some unicorn got wings. A year or so later she realized she was asexual. From how she brought it up the first time, all secretive and worried and kept asking me if I wouldn't tell anyone until she wanted me to, I thought she was pregnant or had loving cancer.

Oh, and this month is Asexual Awareness month so everyone needs to have some gray and white and black heart on their page to show support.

I seriously want to ask in what way are asexuals seen as freaks or a threat. Gays, transgenders, bisexuals, etc, okay yes. But someone who is Gray Asexual (as opposed to Purple or Black. It's like the loving Lantern Corp here.) is totally in need of support because people don't understand! Understand loving WHAT?

Peeve: Manager Musical Chairs. In three months, one of the stores I cover has had three different managers. And they are moving everyone around again in the next week.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm trying to figure out where asexual persecution comes from - like honestly, and not ridiculing.

For anyone to even know, you'd have to tell them, which is fine, it's your right to express yourself I guess.

But are there people out there that react with more than, "Huh... ok". Is there a group of people out there really angry that you don't want to have sex? Are asexuals upset that many people can't really conceive of not being interested in sex? Why would they care about that? idgi

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Eh, it's mostly corrective rape or general peer pressure to date and/or start a family because that's good and normal, and also correct to do in most religions. The rest of the time nobody really cares.

My peeve: there's a floater in my eye that only shows up when I look slightly down and no other time, and it's annoying as gently caress.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You should find and hit whoever pooped in your eye and failed to flush.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Because I am a slow learner, I am helping edit an anthology.

I hate people who use uncommon words incorrectly. 'Penultimate' does not mean best; it means 'next to last'. 'Mediocre' does not mean average; it means 'of poor quality'. It never stops. How hard is it to make sure? Are dictionaries banned books or something?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Pet peeve:
People who hate the idea of feathered dinosaurs. Feathered dinosaurs are awesome. They look loving cool. The raptors especially look like crazy toothed birds, and the big therapods look like demon dragon birds from Hell. And it's not like there weren't plenty of scaled monsters in prehistory, anyway: there were fucktons of crocodilians, giant lizards like Megalania, and of course Titanoboa, which is pretty much that giant snake from Conan the Barbarian come to life. What are people bitching about?

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

AlphaKretin posted:

So as I've failed to shut up about lately I'm on holiday in Japan, and places keep recognising me as a tourist and giving me English menus or trying to speak English, and it's like well OK whatever I'm with someone who speaks Japanese but I appreciate that you're trying to help, but today I bought a bento and I was given a spork instead of chopsticks. :argh:

I understand completely your bento frustration. Im looking for a bento box, it cant be pinku (thats japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more kotoba (thats japanese for 2 compartments) and has be be chibi (small) sized. And has to be really kawaii (cute). Also It has to be about 10-20 bux. And you have to post pics of it first (i want to make shure it's kawaii [cute]). And it would be nice if it came with matching chopstick holder (WITH chopsticks). OH! and it CANNOT have any cartoon pictures, or be made out of plastic. It has to be made of ceramic, or something like that. Also it would be nice if it was made in japan. and not in china or corea (korea) or whatever. I have found a bento box similar to the one im describing in e-bay, but it was 1 kotoba, and i dont want my gohan (rice) to touch my other things (it can get wet and i would not like that, plus 2 compartments looks more kawaii)

As a Venusian mind-worm, this is kind of important to me.

Edit: Have you thought about entering her ear and burrowing into her brain to take control? That often works for me.

Mister Mind has a new favorite as of 09:24 on Jun 9, 2016

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Khazar-khum posted:

'Mediocre' does not mean average; it means 'of poor quality'.

Uhh, no? It literally means average.

Edit: And 'penultimate' doesn't mean 'next to last' in the sense 'second worst'. It means 'next to final', which depending on context could be 'second best'.

grate deceiver has a new favorite as of 12:03 on Jun 9, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

grate deceiver posted:

Uhh, no? It literally means average.

Technically this is true, but it almost always carries the connotation of poor quality or low effort.

And I think the thing Khazar-khum was referring to with "penultimate" is people using it to mean best, last, final, rather than second-best, second-last, etc.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"Citizen Kane is the number one movie, it really is the penultimate cinema experience!"

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"Citizen Kane is the number one movie, it really is the penultimate cinema experience!"

This.

This is exactly the type of misuse I meant.

I shouldn't post after a long day at the dentist.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cowslips Warren posted:

Mostly it's the asexual stuff. She posts at least 1 or 2 things on Facebook a day about how no one cares about asexuals and you can still love people if you're asexual and not having sex doesn't make you weird or selfish. She used to be a brony or the female version of it, but she went from loving that show to hating it because some unicorn got wings. A year or so later she realized she was asexual. From how she brought it up the first time, all secretive and worried and kept asking me if I wouldn't tell anyone until she wanted me to, I thought she was pregnant or had loving cancer.

Oh, and this month is Asexual Awareness month so everyone needs to have some gray and white and black heart on their page to show support.

I seriously want to ask in what way are asexuals seen as freaks or a threat. Gays, transgenders, bisexuals, etc, okay yes. But someone who is Gray Asexual (as opposed to Purple or Black. It's like the loving Lantern Corp here.) is totally in need of support because people don't understand! Understand loving WHAT?

Do you owe this girl a blood debt? Are you currently incarcerated and she's your cellmate? Or are you at least being paid to hang out with her? I'm trying really hard to come up with valid reasons that I'd be within a hundred yards of her at any time. Yeesh.

My personal experience with people who suddenly decide one day that they're asexual and make sure everyone knows it is that they quietly quit being asexual when they meet someone they want to have an exclusive relationship with and gently caress on the regular and the feeling is reciprocated :laugh:

Peeve: Bright loving LEDs on electronics when they're turned off. Can we quit doing this now? Is my TV on? Oh, it's not. Thank loving god for that bright red light indicating that I didn't somehow turn it on without knowing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Khazar-khum posted:

Because I am a slow learner, I am helping edit an anthology.

I hate people who use uncommon words incorrectly. 'Penultimate' does not mean best; it means 'next to last'. 'Mediocre' does not mean average; it means 'of poor quality'. It never stops. How hard is it to make sure? Are dictionaries banned books or something?

This. Also, "nonplussed" means "confused/bewildered", not "unfazed".

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Jun 11, 2016

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Today there was this guy who spent 15 minutes loudly describing breathing techniques and electrolytes or something but not in an athletic way, just ranting about it in general. He then proceeded to explain, "well, as a scientist:smug: I like to determine cause and effect *and some other fake science-y terms that people use to sound smart.

First I gave an exasperated sigh while the guy was talking, then the dudes buddy did when jerkoff finally paused.

Then he went into some super long story about some girl in his class with so. many. unnecessary. Details. She's like on my project and oh she has blue shoes and oh and I'm always complaining about papers and she's like I love bacon and like the next day we were in class and she had a piece of bling in her eyelash and she just looks at me-----*ha ha* it was pretty hilarious!

So basically, people who rant really loudly without taking pauses and don't let anyone else speak, people who use sciencey words to sound smart, people who go on and on--just get to the point! Oh and when someone tells some confusing or unfunny story and follows it with "it was sooo funny!" While you're sitting there like :geno: and then sometimes they add "you had to be there!"

Oh god and he finished the buddy's sentences too. Buddy was like, "I like top level management stuff but--" "ITS TOO TECHNICAL, I KNOW!" let him finish :argh:

Now I'm the one ranting using too many words :(

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
When there's NOT a "no turn on red" sign and the rear end in a top hat still doesn't turn and just sits there. Honking makes no difference because they're morons and won't move.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
People who write in chunks. And end sentences in a period. It makes them seem dumb. In fact they probably are. For typing like a moron.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When traffic is heavy and cars stop in an intersection, blocking the crosswalks and assuming they have the right of way when the pedestrian crossing turns green and horn blast you for crossing in front of them. It's not my fault you didn't see the traffic ahead of you and waited before breaking the law and blocking the intersection. Also people who think since their light is green they don't have to yield to pedestrians when they're turning.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
When there's a left turn green arrow only at first and the don't walk sign is still lit but people decide "lol light changed I'm going"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

When there's a left turn green arrow only at first and the don't walk sign is still lit but people decide "lol light changed I'm going"

Bonus points if they intentionally look the other way or down at their phone so they can act fake-surprised that you almost hit them. Basically whether you're a driver or a pedestrian or a bicyclist, if you don't make your best effort to follow the traffic laws you are the worst.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Magic Hate Ball posted:

People who write in chunks. And end sentences in a period. It makes them seem dumb. In fact they probably are. For typing like a moron.

Relatedly, people who put periods after a bunch of words in a row at the end of a sentence for emphasis. It is so. loving. Obnoxious.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

When there's NOT a "no turn on red" sign and the rear end in a top hat still doesn't turn and just sits there. Honking makes no difference because they're morons and won't move.

I get this a lot. But see, I am in a company vehicle, and I am not going to turn when there's some loving idiot pedestrian who keeps eyeing the DON'T WALK like it hit his dog, and is just waiting for the gap in oncoming cars to cross. Or the car next to me is too large to see around without pulling into the loving road. So I wait. And the people that honk their horn like mad is music to my ears. I especially love when they lay on the horn and only then realize there's a loving ambulance coming in incoming traffic so I don't pull out.

Peeve: why the gently caress don't the stores have the goddamn loving bags on the customer side? I'd feel a lot better if I could bag my own poo poo while the cashier rings it up, because half the time there's no bagger so the line moves extra slow. Put the bags on my side so I can loving help! But no, Americans are spoiled and don't want to demean themselves to bag their poo poo.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Just bring your own bags?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Peeve: why the gently caress don't the stores have the goddamn loving bags on the customer side? I'd feel a lot better if I could bag my own poo poo while the cashier rings it up, because half the time there's no bagger so the line moves extra slow. Put the bags on my side so I can loving help! But no, Americans are spoiled and don't want to demean themselves to bag their poo poo.

Move to Germany/Switzerland (probably elsewhere in Europe too) and you will develop the new peeve of feeling like you're in a race to get your stuff bagged on your own while also paying and getting out of the way of the grumpy german who was standing way too close behind you the whole time you were in line and looks at you like you're an idiot if you make them wait for even a second for the bagging area to be cleared. I used to hate baggers but I miss that slower relaxed pace after a few years of this kind of shopping.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Cowslips Warren posted:

I get this a lot. But see, I am in a company vehicle, and I am not going to turn when there's some loving idiot pedestrian who keeps eyeing the DON'T WALK like it hit his dog, and is just waiting for the gap in oncoming cars to cross. Or the car next to me is too large to see around without pulling into the loving road. So I wait. And the people that honk their horn like mad is music to my ears. I especially love when they lay on the horn and only then realize there's a loving ambulance coming in incoming traffic so I don't pull out.

I get really peeved about it as well, but also keep in mind that there are a few states where it's just illegal, so they wouldn't know to turn right anyway.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

YeahTubaMike posted:

This. Also, "nonplussed" between "confused/bewildered", not "unfazed".

nonplussed is a HUGE loving problem for me since it now means the exact opposite of itself and it makes me CRAZY.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People who roam around in bands of ten or more, striding into restaurants without reservations and acting affronted when given a wait time.

When those people start suggesting ways you could push tables together, as if you are a noble presiding over a feast in a great hall and not just the poor soul at the front desk. No, we can't take our multiple non-consecutive empty tables and fit them together, slide-puzzle-like, in a narrow walkway. The servers are not aerialists.

People who stare at a pair of restroom doors, each of which say "restroom," and say "does it matter which?" Yes. How it matters, on the other hand, is a secret. Choose wisely.

Some person keeps calling like an hour before the restaurant even opens and asks "do you speak Spanish?" Sorry, I don't, but-- "Does anyone there speak Spanish?" There's not really anyone here right now but-- "NOBODY there speaks Spanish?!? *muffled expletives*" then he hangs up.
The thing is, buddy, if you'd stop your interrogation for a moment, is that there are poo poo-tons of people who work there that speak Spanish, and if youd be so kind as to leave your name and phone number I could have them address your concerns directly when they are actually in-house. Y'know, during business hours. So basically, I guess I'm ticked off at people who demand information and then don't listen to the response. Also, people who call at weird times. The language barrier in this example just made it more frustrating, with the both of us repeating things over and over, to come to an unsatisfying conclusion for both parties. I wnat 2 hlep!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

nonplussed is a HUGE loving problem for me since it now means the exact opposite of itself and it makes me CRAZY.

Nonplussed is bad, but I really, really hate when someone says "doubleplus ungood". gently caress off.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Brawnfire posted:

People who roam around in bands of ten or more, striding into restaurants without reservations and acting affronted when given a wait time.

Yeah this one gets me big time. At the go kart track I manage we can accommodate roughly 10-12 people every 15 minutes or so. We only have one track, so if it's busy and I have 6 races booked out with say 7-8 people in each one then your group of 10 gets to wait for 90 minutes, maybe more. I could easily add a few people at a time into races more quickly, but no, everybody has to be on track at the same time and apparently my giving them a wait time is basically the same as telling the group to eat a dick. I'm sorry, you're not the only group that wanted to go out and do something fun on Memorial Day.

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards

Thin Privilege posted:

My peeve: People who honk at me for not turning right on red. If I can't see oncoming traffic clearly enough to turn safely, I don't care how furiously you're honking, I'm going to wait. Whatever Very Important Business you've got to get to isn't as important as my / someone else's life.

Double points if they honk when I'm waiting because there are people crossing the road. OH I'M SORRY LEMME JUST RUN OVER THESE PEDESTRIANS REAL QUICK SO YOU AREN'T LATE FOR YOGA CLASS

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

God Over Djinn posted:

My peeve: People who honk at me for not turning right on red. If I can't see oncoming traffic clearly enough to turn safely, I don't care how furiously you're honking, I'm going to wait. Whatever Very Important Business you've got to get to isn't as important as my / someone else's life.

Double points if they honk when I'm waiting because there are people crossing the road. OH I'M SORRY LEMME JUST RUN OVER THESE PEDESTRIANS REAL QUICK SO YOU AREN'T LATE FOR YOGA CLASS

Also when the person in the straight/left turn lane pulls out unnecessarily far so you can't see oncoming traffic so you nose out a bit then they pull up too. WHY? YOU HAVE A RED LIGHT. ARGH.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

God Over Djinn posted:

I'm not talking about that type of situation because I agree with you on that, I mean when it's an empty road with no cars in any direction, and/or a huge intersection where you can see everything and there's no cars, but the person is just sitting there not turning even though there's no danger, no sign, not illegal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

Nonplussed is bad, but I really, really hate when someone says "doubleplus ungood". gently caress off.

Neither of those is as bad as "grok".

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm trying to figure out where asexual persecution comes from - like honestly, and not ridiculing.

For anyone to even know, you'd have to tell them, which is fine, it's your right to express yourself I guess.

But are there people out there that react with more than, "Huh... ok". Is there a group of people out there really angry that you don't want to have sex? Are asexuals upset that many people can't really conceive of not being interested in sex? Why would they care about that? idgi

Did you ever have that kid at school who was totally obsessed with something completely inconsequential or lame, but would get really really mad if you ever mentioned it, and people would constantly bug them about it just cause it's a free pass to make them angry? I think it's a similar principle where 'asexual persecution' doesn't actually exist, but these people aren't self-aware enough to realize they're being made fun of for being super obnoxious about something nobody cares about, and think that asexuality is actually being systematically targetted in some sort of bizarre hate rally.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Pet peeve: Anybody who won't stop for a pedestrian in a crosswalk and tries to beat them by going really fast. Dude, if you hit someone in crosswalk and don't kill them, they are going to own your every earthly possession in trial court. It will be your fault, and you might end up in jail,because you can't wait ten loving seconds for them to cross.

Second pet peeve: I'm taking an Italian class. It's beginner Italian, but I'm already fluent in Spanish, so I'm picking it up really quickly. I speak in Italian to my classmates, they answer me in english. I get not knowing how to respond, but motherfucker, you should know what the word for apple is by now.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

A White Guy posted:

Second pet peeve: I'm taking an Italian class. It's beginner Italian, but I'm already fluent in Spanish, so I'm picking it up really quickly. I speak in Italian to my classmates, they answer me in english. I get not knowing how to respond, but motherfucker, you should know what the word for apple is by now.

Why are they even there if they aren't even attempting to speak Italian?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Kopijeger posted:

Why are they even there if they aren't even attempting to speak Italian?

My guess is to fulfill a general education requirement. Basically any beginner level course in any subject that the college says satisfies the gen ed requirement is going to be mostly full of people from other majors who just want an easy A so they don't take it seriously.

That said, it's not really fair to judge people in a beginner class for not learning as fast as you. In my experience with language courses they don't switch into "everything you and the teacher says is in (language that's not english)" mode until the intermediate level.

vvv like I said, general education requirements. Unless you tested out in highschool with an AP exam you had to take a semester of a foreign language. Since the teachers know most people don't give a poo poo and are just doing it to check that box on their list of requirements, they often will dumb it down and make it into an easy A course just so they don't get trashed in the student evaluations. There are exceptions, but they'll quickly gain a reputation for the class to avoid for the gen ed people.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 09:48 on Jun 12, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

My guess is to fulfill a general education requirement. Basically any beginner level course in any subject that the college says satisfies the gen ed requirement is going to be mostly full of people from other majors who just want an easy A so they don't take it seriously.

Who would try taking a language class for an easy A? Practically anything else would be easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Tiggum posted:

Neither of those is as bad as "grok".

It's perfectly fine Martian word.