Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I always thought the arm wrestling results from the Troupe were meant to demonstrate how strong the Troupe was without using nen. I mean, Gon never suspected anything from Shizuku when arm wrestling and vice versa even though aura use would be both visible and you'd probably feel it if you held hands.

I got the impression it was explicitly with nen which is why gon who barely knows any beat shizuku and the list starts with enhancers and then hisoka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

During the fight with the armadillo Gon explicitly used nen. Like, with a big half page panel and a sound effect to emphasize that point. Why the heck would anyone who knows nen not use it when their life is on the line? No one is that dumb, not even Gon the suicidally stubborn monster child.

Used it to block the blows he was taking, used his bare hands to kill him though.

Jose posted:

i thought simply using ten increased your strength

Nah, it enhances your blows against both nen users and non nen users for sure, but physical strength still comes purely from you. It's why even despite the mooks on Greed Island being far more proficient at Nen than Gon and Killua initially, some of the ones they met still ran or couldn't take them on physically.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Wait, so the scene where Gon made a big show of putting out aura, then crushed the armadillo, followed by another panel of Gon with clearly visible aura meant that he actually retracted his aura completely without anyone mentioning it? Goddamn, I love this forum sometimes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What nen is is kind of poorly defined. Sometimes it's a manifestation of abilities or defenses and sometimes it's just DBZ power levels.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

What nen is is kind of poorly defined. Sometimes it's a manifestation of abilities or defenses and sometimes it's just DBZ power levels.

Isn't it kind of explicitly both of those things? Like, we know that more nen = stronger and we also (obviously) know that it can give you various abilities.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
People who know nen use nen constantly. Like, they explicitly get training to keep their Ten up even while sleeping. Ten isn't as much of a boost as Ken, but it's still a boost, and we can assume that anyone who knows nen is using that almost 100% of the time, ie: whenever they're not intentionally using Zetsu.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Enhancement is the most simple nen type, so I wasn't even aware there was a question of how it worked. Using ten strengthens your body, and enhancers have better results. Training produces higher aura quantity and density, which makes someone even stronger. Every nen user (aside from poor Pokkle, maybe) worked on enhancement regardless of their affinity, because that was the only way nen could be used to defend their body aside from a specialized hatsu.

Going back to Uvogin (I know, I know), he didn't even really have a hatsu as far as we know. Instead, he developed the fundamentals for enhancement to an extreme. He was so much stronger than Gon was, that his big bang punch (or whatever it was called) was just a normal punch for him. By contrast Gon's rock completely stripped the aura from the rest of his body and made him defenseless. That is how Gon was eventually able to produce a craters of similar size as Uvo, despite how Gon was always much, much weaker than Uvo overall.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I've always wondered something about Gon's rock punch. Couldn't he have made saying the thing he says a condition and powered it up even more?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silento posted:

I've always wondered something about Gon's rock punch. Couldn't he have made saying the thing he says a condition and powered it up even more?

It is pretty likely that he did unconsciously. It's kind of established that not all nen conditions are intentional.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I always thought that the pose and the phrase were his condition.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silento posted:

It was a condition because he always did. It was just unconscious one.

Franklin for example. For his ability he actually removed his fingers. He did not need to do so, he just thought it would look cool when he used his Nen Bullets. But because he did that it powered up the ability.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's interesting how conditions and stuff don't strictly need to be a part of the ability. Take Kurapika's chains; he didn't make the ability so that it'd only work on the Troupe. Rather, he used his Judgment Chain on himself so that, if he ever used the Chain Jail on anyone who wasn't a Spider, it'd crush his heart. It's not something he built into the Chain Jail itself, but it still worked to empower his ability and make it possible.

Things like personal taste make abilities more powerful too. Wing mentions that one's affinity for an ability and whatnot can make something far more powerful for one person than another even if the two share nen types. It's a very personal system in some ways.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I wonder how many people learned how to use Nen and decided to say gently caress it, and used it for personal use and avoid the whole murderfest that goes with being a hunter. Kind of like how Leorio's skills are based off him wanting to use his ability as a doctor and the fighting ability stemmed from that as an afterthought.

Personally, functional immortality through enhancement nen would be my pick.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Deki posted:

I wonder how many people learned how to use Nen and decided to say gently caress it, and used it for personal use and avoid the whole murderfest that goes with being a hunter. Kind of like how Leorio's skills are based off him wanting to use his ability as a doctor and the fighting ability stemmed from that as an afterthought.

In the Chimera Ant arc, it's pretty much outright stated that people who are really good at some skill develop nen which they use specifically for that thing, even if they themselves are not aware of it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's also stated even earlier, in the Yorknew Arc, that great artists leave traces of their nen in their works. I think they also implied that great politicians use nen for their charisma, etc. Nen is a perfectly natural ability that all geniuses use subconsciously, but you can also be trained to control it more directly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They basically skip all the other steps and develop a hatsu. I'm not entirely clear if those people can see aura, though. I think we have only seen two examples, and one of them was blind.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Even Gon knew how to use Zetsu before he knew what nen was.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, "geniuses" subconsciously manipulate nen and sometimes but not always develop a hatsu, but at the same time don't know anything about nen and are probably as fragile as anyone else. Komugi or Neon or Zepile (he was a genius too; Killua and Gon saw his nen left on his forgeries) are/were probably just as if not more fragile than the average human despite their nen use. Heck, we saw Zepile's attempt at the Hunter exam; that didn't go well for him.

Though, that reminds me, the old guy in the Hisoka origin story actually should have been able to just retake the exam. I mean, he knew nen, he was more than qualified to pass easily. It's not like there was anything stopping him.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, "geniuses" subconsciously manipulate nen and sometimes but not always develop a hatsu, but at the same time don't know anything about nen and are probably as fragile as anyone else. Komugi or Neon or Zepile (he was a genius too; Killua and Gon saw his nen left on his forgeries) are/were probably just as if not more fragile than the average human despite their nen use. Heck, we saw Zepile's attempt at the Hunter exam; that didn't go well for him.

Though, that reminds me, the old guy in the Hisoka origin story actually should have been able to just retake the exam. I mean, he knew nen, he was more than qualified to pass easily. It's not like there was anything stopping him.

I think it's implied that Ging just crushed everyone so hard that it broke his spirit.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah but the first examiner was all 'if you fail this year you can never take the hunter exam again', and he left before the entire trick was explained.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

lmao at the spoilers holy lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I wasn't planning to read the Hisoka backstory until they released it with the final art instead of the rough draft but at this point it's like I've already absorbed the whole chapter anyway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I would have cared if it weren't just fanfic.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the tokyo ghoul author's hisoka story is better than the plot developments in the newest chapter

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Relin posted:

the tokyo ghoul author's hisoka story is better than the plot developments in the newest chapter

lmao

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the properties of rubber and gum

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the spoilers I've seen for this week are... Wow. There are scans to back them up though, which is... I'm not sure what to make of this.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I wonder if Netero didn't know anything about nen when he went out into the wilderness to dedicate himself to martial arts. Yet his deep convictions and commitment to martial arts gave rise to his nen ability, in much the same way that artists and such develop nen abilities in one specific thing. And since his thing was fighting he ended up with the most boss rear end ability for straight up fighting in the series.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I havent seen the chapter yet but heres my guess for what happens: Hisoka pulls a gon and sacrifices all his future power for more power now. his hair turns into a literal rainbow

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TWIST FIST posted:

I havent seen the chapter yet but heres my guess for what happens: Hisoka pulls a gon and sacrifices all his future power for more power now. his hair turns into a literal rainbow

That is tame compared to what actually happens apparently.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Going back to Uvogin (I know, I know), he didn't even really have a hatsu as far as we know. Instead, he developed the fundamentals for enhancement to an extreme. He was so much stronger than Gon was, that his big bang punch (or whatever it was called) was just a normal punch for him. By contrast Gon's rock completely stripped the aura from the rest of his body and made him defenseless. That is how Gon was eventually able to produce a craters of similar size as Uvo, despite how Gon was always much, much weaker than Uvo overall.

Enhancers are funny because they have incredibly simple conditions for their abilities and for most of them it's just a nen fundamental dialed up to 11. Uvo's Big Bank punch is considered a Hatsu and is just Ko with calling the attack attached to it. Phinks' Karmic Loop is just him winding his shoulder and his aura multiplies based on how many cranks he puts in, also Ko. Gon's Jan-Ken-Po is the same, a Ko punch with an aura multiplier (Confirmed by Knuckle for exceeding Gon's normal Ken output). Even Kastro could have taken his Tiger Bite and made it devastating if he's kept to his affinity. Enhancers don't really need fancy abilities when their whole thing is making stuff they can do with aura better.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Deki posted:

Well there's only like 600 or so actual Pro Hunters, and we know that not all the nen users we've seen are Hunters (by a long shot) so I imagine that there are many nen users who just chill out or meditate or cook spaghetti or whatever.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

That is tame compared to what actually happens apparently.

I just read them and I really don't have words for whatever the hell it is I just read.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ha ha ha ha ha hahahahahahahahaha HOLY loving poo poo.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
What kind of nen abilities would cooks and poo poo even have

Would their restrictions be stuff like using tomatoes in every dish or stuff like every cook time ending with a 7

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just saw the raws. Wow. Well, at the least things make a bit more sense now, assuming I'm interpreting some of these panels correctly.

Still, holy poo poo.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Charlie Bobson posted:

What kind of nen abilities would cooks and poo poo even have

Would their restrictions be stuff like using tomatoes in every dish or stuff like every cook time ending with a 7

Nen does not necessarily have to have restrictions to be useful and even then it could be something as simple as "I prefer cooking in Italian cuisine so I subconsciously use my Nen to make really awesome pizza"

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Komugi used nen for sure when playing games

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
where are the raws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://readms.com/r/hunter_x_hunter/357/3459/1

what teh gently caress