Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Redeye Flight posted:

Well, it finally happened. They released a ship that I cared enough about to spend money on and yet was cheap enough that I didn't feel like "that guy who buys SHIPS. Not games. Ships in one game."

Of course, I am now, though. That said, Campbeltown is an interesting piece of work.

I saw someone say this exact thing in a public random battle last night. Mustve been you.

Im kinda pissed that i suffered through the pre-patch furutaka just to get to the Aoba a week before they upgrade the Taco to a loving beast.
I mean it was ok if you used it smart before, but now it seems more nimble and the guns are way better. Citadels all day long on enemy cruisers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Honestly, I don't see a problem with buying ships. I waste a lot of money every day. For instance I paid for parking today, $6.75 for 4 hours of a lovely experience. That's 1/3 of the Blys.

Edit: I also find myself not playing them very much.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

This sort of stuff is what kinda frustrates me about CV's in general.

Like, is this really the most fun and cool AA system that WG could come up with for their game? A convoluted system of auras and behind-the-scenes dice rolling?

Over in Steel Ocean you have to make the decision between focusing entirely on dodging or continuing to fight or taking control of your AA yourself to melt planes. CVs look for engaged ships or isolated ships to stab in the dick while they're busy or not paying attention.

It's a better way of handling it.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I don't have anything above tier 7 and I don't have any American destroyers, but looking at the stats and thinking about it, it seems to me that tier for tier, the Fletcher seems like a better ship than the Gearing. The Fletcher gives up some HP, one gun, slight maneuverability and torpedoes (lol American torps though) but seems like a superior gunship, pound for pound. With the right skills you should be able to fire out to about 15.5km, and cut your detection rating. down to about 6.45km or so. With the Fletcher, can't you hover around 13km or so and just hose shells onto targets without getting spotted, even with the increased detection range from shooting? The Gearing doesn't seem like it would be able to do that with it's reduced range, or at least if it can the range seems a hell of a lot narrower.

Am I right on this? If I were to go up the American destroyer line, I think I'd just stop at the Fletcher unless there's something amazing the Gearing has that I'm missing.

VVV I play Japanese battleships, I'm not terrible at getting slow shells to hit things at long range. Besides with that rate of fire you can just saturate the area; some of it's bound to hit.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 7, 2016

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
At 13.5km it takes about one year for an American destroyer's shells to land. Good luck hitting anything but the slowest battleship.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Rorac posted:

I don't have anything above tier 7 and I don't have any American destroyers, but looking at the stats and thinking about it, it seems to me that tier for tier, the Fletcher seems like a better ship than the Gearing. The Fletcher gives up some HP, one gun, slight maneuverability and torpedoes (lol American torps though) but seems like a superior gunship, pound for pound. With the right skills you should be able to fire out to about 15.5km, and cut your detection rating. down to about 6.45km or so. With the Fletcher, can't you hover around 13km or so and just hose shells onto targets without getting spotted, even with the increased detection range from shooting? The Gearing doesn't seem like it would be able to do that with it's reduced range, or at least if it can the range seems a hell of a lot narrower.

Am I right on this? If I were to go up the American destroyer line, I think I'd just stop at the Fletcher unless there's something amazing the Gearing has that I'm missing.

VVV I play Japanese battleships, I'm not terrible at getting slow shells to hit things at long range. Besides with that rate of fire you can just saturate the area; some of it's bound to hit.

Well, the torpedoes are nothing to sneeze at. Fletcher gets 10.5km and Gearing gets 16.5km, both are decently fast, and those torps get spotted at a shorter range than the 20km IJN torps. The stealth fire range is more like 10.5km on the Fletcher with the concealment upgrade, 9.5km or so if you add Concealment Expert. And yeah, shooting past that is mostly for setting people on fire. Gearing does get slightly better armor, which means nothing against cruiser and battleship shells but will reduce the damage you take from destroyer-caliber HE shells.

But having said all that, I know people who have both the Fletcher and Gearing but mostly play the Fletcher. Maybe they don't want to always play in a tier X game? Or they like cheaper repairs?

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 7, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Rorac posted:

Uhh, japanese BB shells aren't actually slow. They're still moving fairly quickly at max range. Because US shells slow down so much and so quickly, a change in the target's heading even just slightly will make shots miss by a mile.

The Gearing has 1 more gun than the Fletcher and shoots faster. It has more HP, and is a little bit more armored. The Gearing also has incredibly good torpedoes. It IS an upgrade, just not a stellar one. The Fletcher's superior concealment is very nice, however, for ambushing IJN DDs. The Gearing performs better in a screening role, since it has extraordinarily deadly torpedoes (arguably more dangerous than Shimakaze torps, though it has less of them) and the best smokescreen in the game.

Stealth firing on US DDs is... really bad. If you can do it at 10-11km, sure, but past 11km you're just shooting into the stratosphere and waking up to a miss. Don't waste upgrades or commander skills on increasing your range, you want to be in close at 5-6km, not firing at range where RUS DDs and even IJN DDs eat your lunch.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Had a moron on my team bring a loving stock New Mexico into ranked. Tier VII ranked. He said it was either that or his fully upgraded New York.

We carried his worthless, bottom of the scoreboard rear end to victory thanks to my 130k damage (8 hits, two Myokos :smug:) and some good anti-DD work from the rest of the team.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

El Disco posted:

Had a moron on my team bring a loving stock New Mexico into ranked. Tier VII ranked. He said it was either that or his fully upgraded New York.

We carried his worthless, bottom of the scoreboard rear end to victory thanks to my 130k damage (8 hits, two Myokos :smug:) and some good anti-DD work from the rest of the team.

...I've seen a stock Nagato or two while playing ranked. Even a stock New Mexico is probably superior to that in a direct comparison, let alone compared to the rest of their respective tiers. About the same health, better armor, non-poo poo AP shells. There are so many people that so very much do not belong in ranked it's not even funny. Really wish there was some mechanism for just getting them out, because I'm tired of losing stars because the team decides to do something completely insane, and/or completely ignore the plan THEY AGREED ON AT THE BEGINNING OF THE MATCH.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

...I've seen a stock Nagato or two while playing ranked. Even a stock New Mexico is probably superior to that in a direct comparison, let alone compared to the rest of their respective tiers. About the same health, better armor, non-poo poo AP shells.

I think the biggest problem I had with it was that it showed he didn't really have enough playtime to justify being in ranked if that was the best he could bring. If he had a fully tricked out Myoko or Mahan or something similar sitting in his port then it would have signified poor judgement.

Lord Koth posted:

There are so many people that so very much do not belong in ranked it's not even funny. Really wish there was some mechanism for just getting them out, because I'm tired of losing stars because the team decides to do something completely insane, and/or completely ignore the plan THEY AGREED ON AT THE BEGINNING OF THE MATCH.

I would be ok with some sort of minimum average damage/xp or winrate. Not too high but enough to filter out the goobers that fail their way to a tier VII with a 38% winrate.

e: on second thought, tying ranked availability to MY STATS might be a little too elitist.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 8, 2016

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I think their should be stat component. In ranked 7 on 7 you need everyone to contribute. If you can't muster a 50% win rate, you shouldn't be in ranked. Some people are drawn by the flags they can't actually earn in random because they suck so bad. It's bringing lots of shitters this season and it's by far the hardest season to advance. They should take two stars from the last place score.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Had a good day on ranked today. Played three games, gained a rank, and walked away from the game feeling content.

I think playing in small doses is the only emotionally viable way to play ranked.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Rushing the cap in ranked is way riskier than in random. The first destroyer there is basically DOA.

Time to review my destroyer strategy...

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Ugh, finally lost two games in my carrier. Back to 10.1. Disappointing they were back to back games. Only got 3 games all day long.

Also, my favorite mod is back. Look at how many shitters are out there. Forgive me for thinking stats should hold people back from playing in ranked.

Just did a humble 120k damage, and won the game. I actually missed with my dive bombers quite a lot, and for some reason the battleship I hit never started to flood. Limits Death over Time damage.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

MrKatharsis posted:

Rushing the cap in ranked is way riskier than in random. The first destroyer there is basically DOA.

Time to review my destroyer strategy...

Never, ever die. Not for a cap. Not for anything. This is the best strategy in ranked. Late game DD own. Survive and advance.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
What determines when premium ships are available for sale? Having switched to NA from Asia, I'd love to be able to buy a Kamikaze and avoid having to grind in terrible low tier battles.

Edit - Watching a tenryu sit 2 km from a S Carolina shooting at it with guns, yelling at him in chat to use his torps, to no avail of course. Kill me now.

Edit 2 - why is the NA server so DD heavy? It wasn't like this in Asia.

Kim Jong ill fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 8, 2016

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

jownzy posted:

Ugh, finally lost two games in my carrier. Back to 10.1. Disappointing they were back to back games. Only got 3 games all day long.

Also, my favorite mod is back. Look at how many shitters are out there. Forgive me for thinking stats should hold people back from playing in ranked.

Just did a humble 120k damage, and won the game. I actually missed with my dive bombers quite a lot, and for some reason the battleship I hit never started to flood. Limits Death over Time damage.

What's the mod called and where can I get it please?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Here's some 0.5.7 Public Test jibber jabber, it'll apparently be up today/tomorrow.

quote:

See Cyclones!

Perhaps you've already encountered a cyclone on the "North" map in the previous update. Now, the inclement weather is spreading to more maps and more high-tier battles! Get ready to charge into some new challenging situations. Your use of the "Hydroacoustic Search" and "Surveillance Radar" consumables will be even more important.

Brand New Ship upgrades!

We analyzed the popularity of certain upgrades, and determined that upgrades like auxiliary armament weren't picked often. We've overhauled the upgrade system to provide more appealing options when enhancing the performance of your ships.

Compensation: To make switching to the new upgrade system more comfortable, you'll receive automatic compensation for all alterations that significantly affect gameplay after the 0.5.7 release.

New Map: "The Warrior's Path"

On this new map, fighting takes place around a Canadian archipelago. Teams need to navigate numerous islands. (It's available for battles in tiers VII-X.)

Spectator Free Camera

If your ship's been destroyed, you can stick around and watch the rest of the battle using the Free Camera.

Control it with the WASD keys, and you can change the camera's elevation with the mouse's scroll wheel!
Press Shift to switch modes
With the space bar, you can move the camera to any ship or squadron you see in the center of the screen (via the crosshair)

jownzy posted:

Also, my favorite mod is back.

More info on this mod please, thanks.

E2A: As usual, worldofwarships.asia has a much more informative post about 0.5.7 stuff, read: http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/announcements/public-test-057-key-feature/

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Burt posted:

What's the mod called and where can I get it please?

added Player's Panel with HP bars + damage logs + stats (by monstrofil)

Available in aslains

Mod also shows Clan's and logos. Matchmaker has been really kind to me... just did a 7k experience tier 5 game against a team with only one player that had a winning record.

Edit: Seems like the mod is now broken and not pulling in stats, as of after lunch!?!?! wtf.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 8, 2016

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Some days everything just goes right. I was worried because I was in my Warspite and ocean pops up. I guess I shouldn't have been worried.

Gorau fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 8, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The World Ocean Day graphic on the NA website has the USS Arizona on it, and according to leaks, Arizona was just added to supertest, along with Ashigara

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Oh god, here come the pearl Harbor jokes.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Finally reached Rank 10, though admittedly I've not been pushing as hard as I could have, and holy poo poo the number of DDs. Two games so far, and both had 7 DDs in them. Sucks because someone still has to play larger ships for a number of reasons, but it's much easier to get top player, regardless of winning or losing, in a DD. Really gamey just how much exp certain things reward.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

"Oh no, it's all battleships, what are we going to do?"

"Line the gently caress up behind me, and don't stop firing" :getin:

Battle Hero, Dreadnought, High Calibre, Confederate, Kraken Unleashed :clint:

Big shout out to all my cruisers, they did a bang up job of throwing out HE and living as long as possible.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Strayed from my carrier just so I could actually play a game of ranked today. 3 losses.
I've had teams of people that have sub 1000 wtr and losing records. You look at the other team all 1400+ 55% win rates.

Apparently there isn't skill based matchmaking.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

Strayed from my carrier just so I could actually play a game of ranked today. 3 losses.
I've had teams of people that have sub 1000 wtr and losing records. You look at the other team all 1400+ 55% win rates.

Apparently there isn't skill based matchmaking.
Matchmaking never really takes skill levels into account, merely ship weights and your own personal tier matchups. For ranked, its based on ship weights and your current rank. You could be super unicum rank 10 and have the same weight as a potato AFKer who randomly got their way to rank 10, so long as you're both in the same boat.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Well, what do you know. I got frustrated by trying to poke poo poo at 20km with my Kongo and have just completely abandoned all discretion and waded into brawls swinging. Results: 4 different ram kills tonight and I've consistently been getting 30-40k damage a game, minumum.

Turns out the key to doing well in this game is to either be a supersperg with perfect aim... or a complete lunatic :v:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

-Troika- posted:

Well, what do you know. I got frustrated by trying to poke poo poo at 20km with my Kongo and have just completely abandoned all discretion and waded into brawls swinging. Results: 4 different ram kills tonight and I've consistently been getting 30-40k damage a game, minumum.

Turns out the key to doing well in this game is to either be a supersperg with perfect aim... or a complete lunatic :v:

Always be getting closer in a battleship. Not necessarily close enough to ram (though ramming is fine), but close enough that the inaccuracy of you big guns doesn't really matter anymore.

So far playing my Nagato in ranked, the top damage for my secondary batteries in one game is 30k. Closer is good. Just watch for destroyers and torps.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

gently caress it, no more ranked battles. teams too heavy.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

-Troika- posted:

You haven't lived until you chain ram 2 cruisers and a bb back to back in the same battle.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

So what tiers do you guys usually play? My usual is in T4/T5 ships, since I only have one T6 and a T7 since I am bad at this game. I could tell a story or two about my experiences in the Isokaze and Minekaze (so much fun), but from reading the thread you guys seem pretty familiar with the typical sort of big game hunting that occurs in those. I've started the IJN cruiser line, since the shell speeds seem better than the USN lines but I'm wondering if I should be going for the Russian or German lines instead. I keep trying in battleships, but I am just so bad with them. All of my volleys just keep straddling or doing 3k damage at ranges above 10km. In the Kongo and New York. It's pitiful.

I've heard good things about playing with people on Discord and suchlike, but I have no idea if I've got the tiers to even show up. Should I just keep grinding?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I got the ARP Kirishima :toot: Also the Fuso, which I will use to grind the other one.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

-Troika- posted:

I got the ARP Kirishima :toot: Also the Fuso, which I will use to grind the other one.

I got the Haruna, working on the Kirishima. Not really an anime fan, but I sure as gently caress am a Kongo fan, so having 3 of them in my port is totally ok with me.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Rorac posted:

I got the Haruna, working on the Kirishima. Not really an anime fan, but I sure as gently caress am a Kongo fan, so having 3 of them in my port is totally ok with me.

It's kind of dumb that they're all the same ship. Certainly don't need all these shitters in ranked with their zero skill captain ARP bullshit to let them roleplay as real players.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

jownzy posted:

It's kind of dumb that they're all the same ship. Certainly don't need all these shitters in ranked with their zero skill captain ARP bullshit to let them roleplay as real players.

The ARP captains come with 6 skill points, unless you were talking about the actual players

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

NTRabbit posted:

The ARP captains come with 6 skill points, unless you were talking about the actual players

The ones that people are presently using from the first round didn't come with 6 skill captains. The shitters are using the Myoko.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To be fair, at least some of them are decent - which given how much of a pain the first wave of missions were, makes some sense. I mean, if they've actually skilled up a captain for one, it's only a rather minor disadvantage over a regular Myoko due to the lack of camo. I've of course seen more than a few lovely ARP Myoko players, but I've seen far worse as well. At least they're using the best T7 cruiser, as opposed to some T6.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
I'm not sure in going to need 4 freaking Kongos. It's kind of stupid for them to have made 3 copies of the same ship when there is one already in the tree. I'm still going to end up with four though. My Kongo captain has too many skill points and I seem to be collecting the other three through just playing the game.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Is there ever a time to fire 4/5-inch AP at enemy destroyers? I remember pre-armour rework you could just slam other DDs with AP but afterwards I remember it just always overpenning and not doing much. Is this still the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I shoot AP at destroyers all the time. Even if you only deal 1000-2000 damage, that's still a fairly large hit for one.