Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Blistex posted:

If you are up for some cringe-comedy, watch Trekkies! It's one of those movies where you have to pause and take a sympathy-embarrassment break every 10 minutes. Denise Crosby is the "tour guide" and her and Brent Spiner looking at fan art in her garage is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7I-zgnVf5E

The main nerd dude they focused on in that documentary, the one who lived at home and made Battlestar Galactica CGI models, he actually ended up fairly normal.

He eventually parlayed all that time in his bedroom on the computer into being one of the lead FX guys on the new BSG series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Best looking phasers are the tos and movie pistols.

They actually have a trigger.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
There's a cool doc on netflix called trouble on the bridge or something like that about creating tng and how lovely everything was. Only an hour and very entertaining.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Crowsbeak posted:

Isn't the grip supposed to be an add on to the little phaser

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Isn't the grip supposed to be an add on to the little phaser

I think the onesfor TNG were. They sucked.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
TNG phasers are cool because they take something thats actually rather natural feeling to shoot (pistol) and turn it into a 1980s IR remote which are always garbage

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
"Y'all don't drink and you don't watch tv, it must be pretty boring here" i like that southern guitar player the enterprise thawed out.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

angerbeet posted:

Ah, that was back when they had the tiny little phasers as well.

Those were great because occasionally they would shoot like 5 beams at once or just one really wide one that takes out a whole group of people.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Hector Beerlioz posted:

"Y'all don't drink and you don't watch tv, it must be pretty boring here" i like that southern guitar player the enterprise thawed out.

"Yer robot made me a banjo and a whiskey sour! "

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

alla buncha hooey

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Lord of Pie posted:

alla buncha hooey

*taps Dr. Crusher on the rear end*

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
When I was five I told my parents I wanted star wars toys foor Christmas. They told my relatives who lived in Michigan Star Trek and I got a type 1 phaser, and O brien as toys.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Crowsbeak posted:

When I was five I told my parents I wanted star wars toys foor Christmas. They told my relatives who lived in Michigan Star Trek and I got a type 1 phaser, and O brien as toys.

Good

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
The best introduction to the long, depressing slog toward death for a child is giving them an O'Brien "Action" figure.

Now with nagging wife and shoulder dislocation action. Press the button for PTSD war flash backs.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 9, 2016

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

The tiny Type I phase easily upgrades to the Type II.

criscodisco posted:

Sort of. When they conceived of the Borg, it was supposed to be those bugs, which is why they said at the end that the bugs had sent a message back to the Delta Quadrant.

Then they realized it would be cheaper to hot glue some rubber hoses to extras and spray paint them black, and the new Borg were born.

The first whiff of the Borg was in the episode after explody head. You met the Romulans, thawed a bunch of 20th century primitives. The last 2 episodes of the season made up for the rest of the dreck.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Fat Shat Sings posted:

The best introduction to the long, depressing slog toward death for a child is giving them an O'Brien "Action" figure.

With whiskey drinking action arm!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
how are the bugs more expensive than the borg? Wasn't it basically the gauold or whatever from stargate?

THIS STARFLEET DUDE HAS AN ALIEN INSIDE OF HIM!?! doesn't seem like it would take much in the way of SFX.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

how are the bugs more expensive than the borg? Wasn't it basically the gauold or whatever from stargate?

THIS STARFLEET DUDE HAS AN ALIEN INSIDE OF HIM!?! doesn't seem like it would take much in the way of SFX.

The brain worms were just two little spikes glued to peoples necks, but they went through plenty of your grandmothers 1980s furniture/sets when the super strong worm people started slamming Riker through coffee tables and kicking Worf through doors.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
god drat i need to rewatch those episodes.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

For some weird reason, it is. The CGI bug Xindi were apparently pretty expensive.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

I think it had to do something with needing a whole bunch of puppets. Also yes having an Obrien action figure did suck, and being the little bratty bastard I was I made it very clear how wrong my relatives were. Well except for my Cousins at the time husband to be. Who got me this because he knew my Aunts and Uncles were wrong.

Which would lead to me getting all but two of the micromachine sets and half the action fleet.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Fat Shat Sings posted:

The brain worms were just two little spikes glued to peoples necks, but they went through plenty of your grandmothers 1980s furniture/sets when the super strong worm people started slamming Riker through coffee tables and kicking Worf through doors.

Plus the claymation of the bugs running around.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Gotta factor in exploding chest cavities for that budget

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

criscodisco posted:

Tbh, it did look kinda poo poo. Otherwise, fantastic episode.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

criscodisco posted:

I mean yeah I got that, but seems like you could just shoot it once and reuse it for refreshers but just show normal people (ACTUALLY ALIEN GUYS :ssh:) and avoid having to do the effects pretty easy, but that would probably violate the prime directive of not having continuity between episodes/commercial breaks

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Compression phaser rifle best phaser. Looked way more gnar than those cheap looking ones they had on DS9.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Red Squad are still loving idiots but to be fair Jake's reasoning in talking them down from a suicide mission was literally

"Look guys, You know who my daddy is right? My daddy is a pretty awesome guy and not even HE would try and do this mission. Why do you think you can do something that my daddy can't?"

I'd probably try and spite that little poo poo too.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

You only get to pull the "my dad's the Emissary card" a couple of times in your life.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
JAMBALAYA

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
*Cassidy, don't tell my you tried to make gumbo, ugh!"

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Volcott posted:

Compression phaser rifle best phaser. Looked way more gnar than those cheap looking ones they had on DS9.

It's nice that they put a tiny shuttlecraft right on top in case your eyeballs need to make a quick getaway.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Nobody's brought up the Animated Series yet. That's canon you know.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 22, 2022

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Daily reminder that Sisko would go on vacation to brutally murder crustaceans, in a universe were they'd also achieved sentence, travelling light years for the chance to rip out their spines by the thousand. Nightly.

If you were to ask him about it he'd tell you those were the times he was happiest.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Automatic Slim posted:

Nobody's brought up the Animated Series yet. That shits canon you know.

The episode where spock ' s cat dies was p sad.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Automatic Slim posted:

I posted a pic yesterday :colbert:

I enjoyed it, it felt like it was an extra season of tos. No Checkov tho, he was replaced by Greedo.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

My favorite is where Spock gets a giant clone of himself created and mind melds with it so they share the same memories. It was really wired. Walter Koenig decided not to take part in TAS so that's why they had some silent Red Skull dude sitting in his chair.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 22, 2022

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Automatic Slim posted:

I thought they announced that none of it is canon except JJ Trek since it's an alternate universe, because I remember thinking "that means Picard never got to fingerbang Famke Janssen", and then feeling sad for him.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Automatic Slim posted:

Walter Koenig decided not to take part in TAS so that's why they had some silent Red Skull fucker sitting in his chair.

Welshy?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

There was also that episode where they summoned Satan onto the bridge. Kind of seems like a security risk. They should've done that in the brig or shuttle bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

That's Mr. Greedo and when Uhura was off shify they had M'res the catlady who Scotty almost banged.

Also, I think Walter Koenig wrote some episodes.