Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What I think MK really needs is a tablet / PC version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Yea, I honestly wish cge would publish a clone just so they would have the rights to make an app for it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Honestly the VASSAL version is Pretty Good and perfectly usable for SP run throughs.

Also: I agree that MK is at its best as a co-op game. It seems to have a lot of problems that prevent it from being a fun competitive game, not the least of which is that I now have played waaay too much single player games to have a good time playing with my friends without crushing them :( My own fault for going too hard.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
My fiance didn't like settlers of Catan because it was too complicated, nor any boardgames for that matter. One day she saw me playing mk and i think possibly had an aneurysm and was struck by lightning (and bitten by a cobra) and now she's playing hard mode vulk quest by herself and scaring away all of her friends and family. It's an amazing game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

didn't like settlers of Catan because it was too complicated

:eyepop:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
sever

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My fiance didn't like settlers of Catan because it was too complicated, nor any boardgames for that matter. One day she saw me playing mk and i think possibly had an aneurysm and was struck by lightning (and bitten by a cobra) and now she's playing hard mode vulk quest by herself and scaring away all of her friends and family. It's an amazing game.

Maybe she just recognized how bad Catan is, and didn't yet have the vocabulary to articulate why it's a boring, steaming, pile of poo poo.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Trynant posted:

Broken Loose, Tekopo, and I did podcast episode talking about Mage Knight with the opinion generally of "a perfectly well-designed game that isn't any fun."

link?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

Maybe she just recognized how bad Catan is, and didn't yet have the vocabulary to articulate why it's a boring, steaming, pile of poo poo.

At lot of people do this, they get made to play a lovely game and they don't know how to express that it's bad, and they also don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so they say "It's too complicated for me" to make it a "it's not you, it's me" thing, and simultaneously avoid being forced to play any more horrendous games.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Ojetor posted:

IMO, most of MK's problems lie squarely in the competitive version of the game. Or at the very least the competitive version magnifies them hugely. Runaway leaders and death spirals are a huge problem. It's easy for a player to fall behind while the other players hoover up every nearby resource on the map, meaning that player can't ever recover.

This is definitely much more of a problem in 3 and 4-player games. Plenty of 2-player games seem decided early yet manage to swing back and forth later. And of course in 2p you can easily concede when it really is hopeless - but just getting a good early dungeon or whatever really won't be.

See the recent World vs One forum game on BGG - over the fifteen months it took to play a 6 round Conquer & Hold, at various points the Team was almost ready to concede, but a bit of good luck and skilful play at the end brought us the win.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

sector_corrector posted:

Everything is too much effort to learn if it's not worth learning.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

the panacea posted:

Let's play guess the reviewer/site

You forgot to include the two columns (thus, two weeks) leadup where he gushed about how awesome minis and the assembling, painting, and conceivably using in a completely different game were and provided no information whatsoever about the actual game that is theoretically why you would be spending ~$120.

I was excited about Cardboard Children once upon a time, in the early days. Before I realized that Rab apparently straight up loves everything except Carcassonne and cannot be trusted to have any sort of meaningful critical discernment.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Trynant posted:

Broken Loose, Tekopo, and I did podcast episode talking about Mage Knight with the opinion generally of "a perfectly well-designed game that isn't any fun."

:siren: THE F WORD :siren:

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
I am getting my Gloomhaven hype back now that the release date is squintily visible in the horizon.

Has anyone played the pnp or online versions of the game? Does the core gameplay feel solid?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Since it's been fashionable to poo poo talk the games our lord and savior, Vlaada for quite a while in this thread, I'll take it upon myself to burn this place down and bring on total anarchy:

Galaxy Trucker is less good the better you are at it.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Lichtenstein posted:

Since it's been fashionable to poo poo talk the games our lord and savior, Vlaada for quite a while in this thread, I'll take it upon myself to burn this place down and bring on total anarchy:

Galaxy Trucker is less good the better you are at it.

I'll agree with this. I love Galaxy Trucker, but man, I have not seen enough disaster lately. I really need to nab an expansion at some point so it can kick my rear end again.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Robust Laser posted:

I'll agree with this. I love Galaxy Trucker, but man, I have not seen enough disaster lately. I really need to nab an expansion at some point so it can kick my rear end again.

Galaxy Trucker expansions are good. I don't really like Rough Roads as a difficulty increaser though - a lot of the cards end up being "you're still probably going to breeze through without a scratch, but HAHA GET MEGAFUCKED if you somehow don't", which is not really the right axis to make the game more difficult on. Evil Machinations are really good though. The new ship types spice things up a lot too.

I've never had a chance to play Missions, but I do love the inherent push-your-luck aspect for increasing the difficulty. That one's probably going to be really good too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I already want to play Through the Ages again and God is always there waiting with outstretched arms to accept the unwashed into his fold. And I will forsake him, again and again.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

thespaceinvader posted:

Meeples is my local store and they are Cool and Good. They'll be glad of the feedback, this was a shitton of work for them.

Tell them that if I were in Oxford I'd be in there all the time, it was really good. If anything, they could do with MORE space in the vendor hall, they'd have a lot more room if the seminar space was moved to the hotel. The only other way to improve their setup would be to have table service for food and drinks :)

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jabor posted:

I don't really like Rough Roads as a difficulty increaser though - a lot of the cards end up being "you're still probably going to breeze through without a scratch, but HAHA GET MEGAFUCKED if you somehow don't", which is not really the right axis to make the game more difficult on.

Yeah, there's a handful of those -- Worker's Comp, Piercing Projectiles, Explosive Goods, Explosive Batteries. Maybe Bad Luck too? There are also some weak ones like Union Ship that never really make things harder.

But there are also quite a few that can single-handedly ruin your day. It's been a while but off the top of my head Defective Connectors, Somersault, Meteoric Inversion, Remorseless Fate, Bum Batteries, Parasites, and Overstaying Their Welcome are consistently nasty. Just force one of those to be included and you'll have a hard time.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

al-azad posted:

I already want to play Through the Ages again and God is always there waiting with outstretched arms to accept the unwashed into his fold. And I will forsake him, again and again.

Is this the Vlaada (PBUH) cult version of self-flagellation or something?

I'm getting flashbacks to COOL CORN talking about Fields of Fire

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Oh yeah, meteoric inversion was pretty fun, except for the one guy who cheesed it entirely by grabbing boosted shields and a million batteries. I guess I should just remove the cards that only punish you more once you start failing, and only use the cards that make it harder to stay pristine. Or maybe just play every round with like four or five cards, I expect that would do much the same thing.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jabor posted:

Or maybe just play every round with like four or five cards, I expect that would do much the same thing.

This is what I usually do. If you want more consistency but also want more variety than just using the same half-dozen cards each game, another option would be to sort the Rough Roads into three categories: weak, strong, and "lose more". Then draw, say, one card from each pile.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

https://trynant.wordpress.com/angercast/

I was dumb and hosted it on dropbox, might look into seeing if hosting it on libsyn or something would work. It's been a while since I messed with that site.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A day after I finally emailed GMT about my nonexistent shipping info my cuba libre arrived :toot: I have a week off from next weekend so gonna break out some solo games

edit: speaking of is there a good video tutorial?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

lordsummerisle posted:

I am getting my Gloomhaven hype back now that the release date is squintily visible in the horizon.

Has anyone played the pnp or online versions of the game? Does the core gameplay feel solid?

I would also like to know this.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jabor posted:

Galaxy Trucker expansions are good. I don't really like Rough Roads as a difficulty increaser though - a lot of the cards end up being "you're still probably going to breeze through without a scratch, but HAHA GET MEGAFUCKED if you somehow don't", which is not really the right axis to make the game more difficult on. Evil Machinations are really good though. The new ship types spice things up a lot too.

I've never had a chance to play Missions, but I do love the inherent push-your-luck aspect for increasing the difficulty. That one's probably going to be really good too.

The alternate ships are weird and bonkers. The twin ships is probably one of the hardest I've seen to play with as it basically doubles the amount of vulnerable area with half of the speed. There's also the ring one which is always a bit odd to wrap one's head around.

Edit: Had the weekly game night as CSI in Jax. Played a game of Dark Moon (first time I played after the owner realized he missed the rule about progressing on the Events if you succeed at a Task in addition to Lone Wolf and that the Commander gets an extra die for a base of 5) and lost with the uninfected. Also did a round of Quartermaster General and apparently there's another expansion that purportedly potentially balances the game to give the Axis a fighting chance. Also played Trains for the first time. We played with the Rising Sun set and it was probably one of the better deckbuilders I've played.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 9, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I have a copy of Mage Knight + Lost Legion + the Broken Token organizer, all sleeved, that I'm looking to get rid of for $110 shipped in the US. Figured I'd check here before I post it elsewhere. Shoot me a PM!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I'm starting to get hyped for Ponzi Scheme, but I already have enough auction games. Someone convince me not to get it when it becomes available to us westerners in the fall.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

COOL CORN posted:

I have a copy of Mage Knight + Lost Legion + the Broken Token organizer, all sleeved, that I'm looking to get rid of for $110 shipped in the US. Figured I'd check here before I post it elsewhere. Shoot me a PM!

May I ask why you want to get rid of it? Doesn't it get played enough?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Has anyone here played the 2002 game Wildlife? Someone I met was raving about it, and saying it was much better than its BGG score suggested. I hadn't ever heard of it before.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Selecta84 posted:

Lichtenstein posted:

Cool Corn is a pioneer of so-called "cloud wargaming". He constantly buys and sells games at a fast enough rate so that from a heisenbergian viewpoint he has all the games, all the time.

There are rumors that his research might fund the creation of a non-quantum wargaming opponent.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.

So, ehm..... Go Cool Corn!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Ha, I've played Mage Knight 2 times total since I've bought it, it just doesn't grab me like other games do.

And I've only bought it once!

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Selecta84 posted:

It is OK for people not to like games you like. This isn't actually a Vlaada fellatio station.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Shadow225 posted:

It is OK for people not to like games you like. This isn't actually a Vlaada fellatio station.

Uh, it appears I have been gravely misinformed

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Shadow225 posted:

:confused:

I was just curious you know?

I would have a really hard time to get rid of a game I have sleeved, bought and expansion and got a Broken Token Insert for.

That's why i still have my copy of Doom and almost everything for Descent 1st Edition. I still kinda like them. But I haven't played them in years and it's still hard for me to sell them.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Some people go whole hog on games they buy even when they haven't played them. Sleeves, custom inserts, expansions, the whole rigmarole. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but whatever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Selecta84 posted:

:confused:

I was just curious you know?

A certain amount of experimentation happens sometimes when you're young, I'm told. Most people grow out of it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jedit posted:

A certain amount of experimentation happens sometimes when you're young, I'm told. Most people grow out of it though.
Did you go to UKGE in the end?