Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.

stereobreadsticks posted:

Looks like China's lost at least Tibet, Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia, Gansu, Qinghai, Hainan, and all three northeastern provinces.

A very June 4 map.

Though it's the 5th here now.

Edit for new page map.

From cool cartographic story in The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/gallery/2016/jun/03/mapping-britain-across-time-in-pictures-london-map-fair

tough stains fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

of all the revanchist state policies, Taiwan's is the most :allears:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think that's pretty much "everything that the Qing (in theory) owned in 1912".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Politically loaded because wtf is that China?

I saw it too but was afraid to to point it out because what if it did turn out to be the shape of China somehow

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Why does nobody ever put Russia or Canada on these maps?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The pro-Russian lobby doesn't want you to find out that Russia is actually the size of Andorra and that they just got Mercator-lucky.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

I saw it too but was afraid to to point it out because what if it did turn out to be the shape of China somehow
I think it actually is, it's just heavily distorted, and upside down. Like a funhouse mirror version of China.

e: India is missing its eastern provinces though.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 4, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

cebrail posted:

Politically loaded because UK is part of Europe and not its own continent.

They're going to have a vote on that in a few weeks.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

cheerfullydrab posted:

They're going to have a vote on that in a few weeks.

Wow, I didn't know "Brexit" was meant in such a literal sense

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

System Metternich posted:

Wow, I didn't know "Brexit" was meant in such a literal sense

If you cut the Chunnel Britain will just float away

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the UK slamming into the eastern seaboard would be a disaster

Better Together, for the sake of us all

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aliquid posted:

the UK slamming into the eastern seaboard would be a disaster

Better Together, for the sake of us all

It won't slam, it'll just gently drift until Northern Ireland just touches the coast of Nag's Head

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Broken Cog posted:

Why does nobody ever put Russia or Canada on these maps?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

cebrail posted:

Politically loaded because UK is part of Europe and not its own continent.

That's still three weeks away.

E: dammit!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Aliquid posted:

of all the revanchist state policies, Taiwan's is the most :allears:

To be fair, this is mostly wankery and fantasizing by the KMT (Nationalist Party). Everyone outside of that party tends to think that Taiwan should just be Taiwan.

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.

YF19pilot posted:

Everyone outside of that party tends to think that Taiwan should just be Taiwan.

and a little bit of Fujian

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

YF19pilot posted:

To be fair, this is mostly wankery and fantasizing by the KMT (Nationalist Party). Everyone outside of that party tends to think that Taiwan should just be Taiwan.

There's also that if Taiwan renounced its claims to the mainland, the PRC could interpret that as declaring independence. I don't think there's anyone in Taiwan who takes that claim map seriously.

Also those provincial borders are super weird, I'm guessing those are from before the PRC? Xikang doesn't exist anymore, Ningxia is way too big, etc.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Also those provincial borders are super weird, I'm guessing those are from before the PRC? Xikang doesn't exist anymore, Ningxia is way too big, etc.

Yeah, the PRC reworked all of the frontier borders in the 1950s. The borders in Manchuria look like they were still the Qing-era ones

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
China needs to rework its borders with Taiwan the same way they reworked their borders with Tibet and India.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Grand Fromage posted:

There's also that if Taiwan renounced its claims to the mainland, the PRC could interpret that as declaring independence. I don't think there's anyone in Taiwan who takes that claim map seriously.

I'm sure there's a few people in the KMT and a few other Nationalistic types that do.

Shbobdb posted:

China needs to rework its borders with Taiwan the same way they reworked their borders with Tibet and India.

I like living in Good China; I don't want to live in Real China.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

YF19pilot posted:

I'm sure there's a few people in the KMT and a few other Nationalistic types that do.

No sane people, anyway.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Didn't the KMT renounce their claims on Mongolia? I'm pretty sure I remember that being a thing somewhat recently.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

SoggyBobcat posted:

Didn't the KMT renounce their claims on Mongolia? I'm pretty sure I remember that being a thing somewhat recently.

I'm struggling to remember, but I believe there was one of those tiny island townships that the PRC gave up on that recently decided or threatened to quit the ROC and join the PRC. Can't think of the name though, but I think it's one of those poorer regions that gets little support from the ROC and only exists as a middle finger to the PRC.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
The whole ROC/PRC/China/Taiwan thing is one of the best examples of how a political situation in reality can be at the mercy of a political fiction (or rather, several incompatible fictions) that's largely detached from reality.

Or rather, why politically-loaded maps are made to begin with.

tough stains
May 23, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

I'm struggling to remember, but I believe there was one of those tiny island townships that the PRC gave up on that recently decided or threatened to quit the ROC and join the PRC. Can't think of the name though, but I think it's one of those poorer regions that gets little support from the ROC and only exists as a middle finger to the PRC.

This crops up occasionally about Kinmen County, the islands off the coast that Taiwan runs. The New York Times noted in 2011 that: "The people of Kinmen consider themselves culturally closer to the nearby mainland province of Fujian than to Taiwan, and are debating how much to welcome mainlanders’ money and influence."

Sometimes they feel neglected by Taipei. The Mainland even sells them their water supply.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/17/world/asia/kinmen-seeks-to-evolve-as-china-and-taiwan-improve-ties.html?_r=0

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Coincidentally, a mile-long bridge between Kinmen and Fujian opens this month.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

IntricoInutile posted:

This crops up occasionally about Kinmen County, the islands off the coast that Taiwan runs. The New York Times noted in 2011 that: "The people of Kinmen consider themselves culturally closer to the nearby mainland province of Fujian than to Taiwan, and are debating how much to welcome mainlanders’ money and influence."

Sometimes they feel neglected by Taipei. The Mainland even sells them their water supply.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/17/world/asia/kinmen-seeks-to-evolve-as-china-and-taiwan-improve-ties.html?_r=0

Kinmen also has COMPLETELY loving BONKERS old coastal defenses. Taiwan spent the fifties and sixties turning the islands into a hellish meatgrinder crammed to bursting with underground bunkers and various crazy bullshit. A lot of it has been decommissioned but I want to go poke around the parts where I am unlikely to explode from a booby trap they missed someday.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

SoggyBobcat posted:

Can't remember, but I was pretty susrprised to hear a friend tell me Mongolia was a part of Taiwan.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Examples of how Google Maps and Bing Maps give different results based on the viewer's geographic location.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Chinese Google Maps show the South China Sea and Taiwan as PRC territory, but Hong Kong and Taipei are still marked as national capitals (circle + dot).

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Soviet Commubot posted:

I got some straight roads for you. I love how the planners just refuse to acknowledge the river's existence as much as possible, bridges are either made to follow the normal grid or the grid is expanded to avoid the river unless it's absolutely necessary to do something like on Ferris.

This is an old post, but that's pretty much the Public Land Survey System, assuming this is Michigan (I see an 'Alger' there). It's why roads in the Midwest make sense and are Good and Orderly.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Eskaton posted:

This is an old post, but that's pretty much the Public Land Survey System, assuming this is Michigan (I see an 'Alger' there). It's why roads in the Midwest make sense and are Good and Orderly.

I believe it's been posted before, but...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm surprised the Australian interior doesn't have straighter roads.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

http://static.visionofhumanity.org/sites/default/files/GPI%202016%20Report_2.pdf

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pakled posted:

I'm surprised the Australian interior doesn't have straighter roads.

the problem is that the bulk of the australian interior is unproductive desert and the whole point of a strict orthogonal gridiron road system is that it makes surveying and parcelling land super easy

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Here's the source for the roads map, if anyone's interested. The Netherlands and Germandy kinda bucking the wider European trend might be explained by the problem of "way splitting" which he details on his page. He also tried a "religions of the world" map with the interesting approach of cataloguing what's the most common denomination in local church buildings is, but the maps won't appear to me. Anyone else?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Whiz Palace posted:

Chinese Google Maps show the South China Sea and Taiwan as PRC territory, but Hong Kong and Taipei are still marked as national capitals (circle + dot).

Hong Kong and Taiwan are considered to be "special economic zones" and enjoy a legal status which is above just being a mere province in the PRC's eyes. That and someone at Google being lazy.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm in one of the red areas. It really is that boring.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
don't remember seeing this one here so here it goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

bagual posted:

don't remember seeing this one here so here it goes

Pretty questionably definitions used for this map. The Faroe Islands might be autonomous within the Kingdom of Denmark, but defense and expansion of their claims is the purview of Denmark. Likewise, the Andaman Islands a part of India, why give them a different color?