Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I hope they never try to force a name like loving frequency vibrations on your player ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

MyCareer shouldn't have a forced story at all. Maybe give the players some RPG options throughout that affect fatigue/team chemistry etc but that's it.

The practice stuff is a step in the right direction, but even that ended up as just being the stick to the carrot of getting 99 overall

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The simplest thing that would increase my entertainment 10 fold would be have a play now mode in myteam where they match you to similarly rated teams (fifa has had this for years). I got this game late and I'm kind of annoyed bouncing between seed 4 and 5. I get promoted every time in the 3 gold restricted seed and then bounced back in the unrestricted where everyone has diamonds. I don't have the coins to compete and they give you gently caress all coins for playing games to begin with.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Seltzer posted:

The simplest thing that would increase my entertainment 10 fold would be have a play now mode in myteam where they match you to similarly rated teams (fifa has had this for years). I got this game late and I'm kind of annoyed bouncing between seed 4 and 5. I get promoted every time in the 3 gold restricted seed and then bounced back in the unrestricted where everyone has diamonds. I don't have the coins to compete and they give you gently caress all coins for playing games to begin with.

I'd like to see you be able to play other player's myTeams but CPU controlled. It would be pretty fun to run through a tournament of other teams without having to deal with online play fuckery.

I am an ornery old person who doesn't like getting destroyed by 12 year olds, what?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
And your annual NBA Live is delayed announcement:

https://www.easports.com/nba-live/news/2016/nba-live-franchise-update

quote:

Hey LIVE fans:

I want to share some important updates on what’s next for NBA LIVE and give you an overview of where we’re going with the franchise over the course of this year.

It’s important that you know that we are committed to NBA LIVE in the console space. While we won’t be shipping a product this Fall, we will be back on the courts with something new and exciting for you to experience in early 2017.

Our focus this year is to deliver an amazing, high-quality basketball game to a global audience. The best way to do that is through the fastest growing, largest, and most accessible gaming platform…mobile. As a team, we’re really excited about taking the franchise to new places with the worldwide release of our mobile game later this year.

More details to follow in the coming months!

Sean O’Brien
Executive Producer, NBA LIVE

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
That's adorable. "This franchise needs to make money SOMEHOW, so we're gonna check whether anyone wants to play a dumbed-down version on their phone first. Don't worry, we'll deliver another console game everyone makes fun of after that's released."

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 11, 2016

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It should be, and probably is, cancelled. Seriously, I think people did the math and said they sold about 8,000 units in their first month. That's 'oh gently caress scrap everything NOW' low sales.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I hope they keep the fight up just to keep some semblance of pressure on 2K.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Lockback posted:

I hope they keep the fight up just to keep some semblance of pressure on 2K.

We put more pressure on ourselves than they have in ages. Thats all I will say on the issue

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Glumslinger posted:

We put more pressure on ourselves than they have in ages. Thats all I will say on the issue

Good, when are you firing ronnie and LD because they're both just awful.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

hopterque posted:

Good, when are you firing ronnie and LD because they're both just awful.

Hey, Chris is a cool dude

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
He's not nearly as bad as Ronnie, it's true. I enjoy watching him post games of him scoring zero points and getting tons of assists every time someone calls him a ballhog, too. One game can't change the facts.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The Glumslinger posted:

Please stop whatever programming that makes teams double-team me every single game just because I average a lot of assists

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It'd be good and cool if they gave two shits about the PC port. Which I know they wont since the population is so tiny. There's always been a problem with cheaters but now there are 7'7" dudes with "I HATE NIGGERS" tattooed on their back which is just swell. All this gets reported but you get a canned response from 2K and they provide a way to circumvent bans when they ban you. It's...insane.

They need to split MyCareer and MyPARK/Pro-AM characters. You shouldn't have to put a ton of energy into building your character for online play -- let me build multiplayer characters with max stats freely (and maybe make it so you can't be 99 OVR in multiplayer). MyCareer, let people go crazy but I think online play suffers when every character at max stats can do more than any NBA player. it's not even an issue of realism that some NBA2k fans are obsessed with, but just basic game balance in what's supposed to be a team game.

Also I feel that they need to look at standing dunks because they seem near unblockable. But again my whole view of the game is skewed by "maybe this guy is cheating?"

Ultimately if you're a PC player you're hoping for cross-platform multiplayer, if only because you've become a sad and spiteful person and want to spread the rampant cheating to the console players.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 16, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah this is probably true, but even if the competition is meager its nice that it's there, you know?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish they would bring back the 2k12 Legends Showcase mode but modify it so you could play a game with normal rules. Playing/picking stacked themed teams for games is fun.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Put in singles matches for myteam and make there be some sort of punishment for rerolling gauntlet picks. 2k gameplay is good but I think small common sense stuff would go a long way to making the game better. Also please do something about "LADIES AND GENTLEMAN DANCE TEAM". I would seriously pay $5 for DLC to take out that cut scene and let me look at stats, replays, the coach and players on the sideline, anything really. Oh and it's really lame that I can't look at my stats when an opponent rage quits.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Seltzer posted:

Oh and it's really lame that I can't look at my stats when an opponent rage quits.
This, also let me force opponents to watch replays of sick blocks again to get them ragequitting faster.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

One last small thing, do not allow unlimited loving pauses. How did that make it into the game. Ridiculous.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey, there's no control input that helps you set up for three right? I guess getting to a spot quickly is supposed to be challenging, and that's fine, but I wish there was some gravity around the three line. All the time, I'll be set up pretty well and pass receiving animation will move me across the two and I readjust and now there's a dude in my face. The CPU players and animations ignore the line instead of positioning around it and the number of cpu teammates that take wide open 23 foot twos is ridiculous.

Also, the cpu dribbles out of bounds on the baseline all the loving time I just don't pass to dudes in the corners anymore.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
:getin:

https://twitter.com/nba2k/status/733415655513292800

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Hey, today is the big Road to the Finals tournament day. Teams are playing for 250K, plus tickets to game 1 of the finals. Watch on twitch (https://www.twitch.tv/2k) or in game

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Since NBA players are allowed to do it now can my player kicked other players balls? Integrate it into the flop button please

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I thought Kobe was the cover athlete but now Twitter is telling me Paul George?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Metapod posted:

I thought Kobe was the cover athlete but now Twitter is telling me Paul George?

Both are

Kobe is on the special editions

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

hey online players, I'd sure love to play any other team than the Dubs or Cavs again at some point.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Release dates for 2K17 have been announced:
http://www.operationsports.com/news/882532/nba-2k17-ships-on-september-20-pre-order-to-get-it-4-days-earlier/

September 20th official release, but the Early Tip-off for pre-orderers returns and launches on the 16th

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The Glumslinger posted:

http://www.operationsports.com/news/882532/nba-2k17-ships-on-september-20-pre-order-to-get-it-4-days-earlier/

September 20th official release, but the Early Tip-off for pre-orderers returns and launches on the 16th

Does it just keep getting earlier and earlier each year?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Glumslinger posted:

That include the PC date?

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Pretty cool of Sony to give us 2K16 for free. I suck rear end but it's a nice change of pace from FIFA bullshit. Gonna be starting myteam tomorrow, pretty excited for that :)

I'm terrible though, how do I not be terrible?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Start from this post on the last page, there were a handful of pretty good newbie posts the last time it came up
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737485&pagenumber=20&perpage=40#post457466177

Otherwise just ask about specific things.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 9, 2016

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
This game has been copying files for hours. Jesus Christ. How long does this poo poo take?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

If it's just the update and the icon isn't spinning anymore I usually just restart the game, it freezes up for me nearly every time.

The initial install takes ages though, yeah.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Thanks to PSN played NBA 2k for a few times in a couple years, what a disappointment. Still the same over complicated, clunky, zero fun game it always was. It boggles the mind how a free flowing, fast paced game like basketball can be turned into a slog fest mess in the digital version.

Live 15 was great, haven't tried 16, guess it doesn't matter with the delay (possible cancellation?) for this coming year.

If EA can do it why does it mystify 2K?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Hixalot posted:

Thanks to PSN played NBA 2k for a few times in a couple years, what a disappointment. Still the same over complicated, clunky, zero fun game it always was. It boggles the mind how a free flowing, fast paced game like basketball can be turned into a slog fest mess in the digital version.

Live 15 was great, haven't tried 16, guess it doesn't matter with the delay (possible cancellation?) for this coming year.

Uhhhh EA can't do it at all that's why Live 16 sold like 20k copies and 17 is cancelled, their games are loving garbage.

2k is complicated, but so is basically every good 'simulation' sports game. Sports look free flowing and fast paced because we're used to watching professionals play at the highest level or play at low levels ourselves where the complicated things dont come into play. Professional athletics are extraordinarily complex and precise, and so trying to recreate a reasonably accurate version of that style means that things are going to be to a degree complicated. That said, on lower difficulties you can basically just do sick moves and run up and down the court and score a ton of points without worrying too much about the complicated poo poo like running plays and mismatches and whatever.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

hopterque posted:

Uhhhh EA can't do it at all that's why Live 16 sold like 20k copies and 17 is cancelled, their games are loving garbage.

2k is complicated, but so is basically every good 'simulation' sports game. Sports look free flowing and fast paced because we're used to watching professionals play at the highest level or play at low levels ourselves where the complicated things dont come into play. Professional athletics are extraordinarily complex and precise, and so trying to recreate a reasonably accurate version of that style means that things are going to be to a degree complicated. That said, on lower difficulties you can basically just do sick moves and run up and down the court and score a ton of points without worrying too much about the complicated poo poo like running plays and mismatches and whatever.

Sales figures don't mean a game is better.

Do yourself a favor and watch Game 5 Monday, and then fire up NBA 2k16. It's a horrid "simulation" of what the actual product is on the court. Yeah sure it's got all these different modes and everything, game within a game, "basketball" RPG elements, create a player career and all that crap. But the actual game of basketball played is just about the furthest thing away from it you can get.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Hixalot posted:

Sales figures don't mean a game is better.

Do yourself a favor and watch Game 5 Monday, and then fire up NBA 2k16. It's a horrid "simulation" of what the actual product is on the court. Yeah sure it's got all these different modes and everything, game within a game, "basketball" RPG elements, create a player career and all that crap. But the actual game of basketball played is just about the furthest thing away from it you can get.

Uhhh it plays pretty close to the real thing for me, because I know what I'm doing. It's fast paced and smooth and things are pretty effortless and I score loads of points and defend well. Please don't confuse your lack of knowledge about an admittedly complicated game with the game not doing what it does well. There's a reason why 2k is consistently the most well regarded sports game in terms of accuracy in relation to the real sport, it is often enough uncannily accurate.

Not to say I think 2k16 is a perfect game by any means, they hosed a lot of stuff up, but the gameplay is loving ace tier without a doubt. All the game modes and poo poo were really pretty weak this year, the reason it's a good game is precisely because the actual on the court product is incredibly real and well done. It is definitely complicated, but if you actually learn how to play it, starting with simple stuff like smart ball movement and basic pick and rolls and things like that, you'll probably find that I'm right.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Hixalot posted:

If you want realism play 2k11 it is the most realistic and greatest sports game ever made

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Hixalot posted:

Do yourself a favor and watch Game 5 Monday, and then fire up NBA 2k16.
lool thanks I'm sure nobody in here ever actually watches basketball esecially during the finals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Illinois Smith posted:

lool thanks I'm sure nobody in here ever actually watches basketball esecially during the finals

What's funny is golden state is the living embodiment of 2k online

• Locked thread