Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I always just strip them and feed them to the militia, myself, or leave them caged in the dining hall. I'm surprised you managed to catch a whole siege, though. In my experience of late, squads hit the first trap and then stop, milling around my entrance. What was your cage field design?

I didn't capture every single one of them, some of them I just shot from a topside moated fort and the rest eventually ran off. I put a bunch of cages in a hallway leading to a bait animal in a shack which got about 10 of them and I put some other traps near my bridges and in some bottlenecks around my perimeter.

All in all it was a good catch and they're in my jail. I really wish I could get a captured sea monster of some kind. It could be like that one level in half life with that fish monster, water all coloring red with goblin blood.

I still notice that my marksdwarves eventually stop firing bolts, even though I have plenty of them in the fortress. What was up with that again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Tarn just shared a nice article from Seattle Weekly about Dwarf Fortress and the Brothers Adams.

https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/740615331975028737

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:eyepop:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think Syrupleaf was the teething issue of the journal system other forts have followed. And I don't think it was just Dwarf Fortress LPs that got overrun, there was an X-Com LP that got completely overrun by journals too (with ghosts and all sorts of wacky poo poo) until the author basically slapped it down (with one excellent exception).

I think Gemclod was the height of the journal system and probably my favorite LP since Boatmurdered itself.

I liked Bronzestabbed (of course I did, I took a turn) but I think the idea of an overrarching narrative was met with mixed interest. Dwarf Fortress is fundamentally about wacky shenanigans.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Shibawanko posted:

I captured another goblin siege in cages. Can people tell me about their favorite prisoner execution methods? I've been using the old 20 level mass pitting death shaft with spikes at the bottom but they just explode on impact and that gets old. I want to do something more droll like feeding my prisoners to a tamed hippo or using them for target practice or something.

-Shallower pit with fortifications at the bottom. They're less likely to explode, more likely to get spiked, and you can shoot any survivors.

-Drowning chamber.

-Water/Lava pit.

-Pit leading to a drowning chamber with spikes, lava, a hippo, and fortifications.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

I would've gone with a dwarf vomiting from cave adaptation, but they're equally stupid.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Anyone wanna translate that for those among us who use tile sets, please?

Anyway, anyone know how long it generally takes to run the reveal command in DFhack? I want to find as solid as possible a path down to the magma sea so I can get some magma forges going. So far all my attempts have lead to me breaking into the various cavern layers.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
From right to left, it's a lever being pulled by a Dwarf. On the other side of fortifications is a chain that is holding a goblin while (through bars) magma is rushing in.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

..wouldn't the fortifications allow the magma to flow through?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Excelzior posted:

Nobody ever said dwarven engineering was OSHA approved.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Excelzior posted:

Yeah, what they don't show you is the picture after he unpaused and all his fingers are burnt off.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Excelzior posted:

The dwarf is specifically a noble.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
you're a fool if you dont build elaborate colosseums for your goblin invaders to fight captured monsters.

I mean yeah all your guys will run away in fear instead of watching through the glass windows 2 stories above the fighting pit but you can always pretend.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Lowen posted:

-Shallower pit with fortifications at the bottom. They're less likely to explode, more likely to get spiked, and you can shoot any survivors.

-Drowning chamber.

-Water/Lava pit.

-Pit leading to a drowning chamber with spikes, lava, a hippo, and fortifications.

I'm partial to the Bestiarii. Make a pit, about 10z levels tall (tall enough to break their legs but not enough to cause fatal damage). On the bottom, pasture all your nastiest tamed animals (I once had about 10 poisonous snakes, feral dogs and I forget what else) around the tile where the war prisobrave gladiators shall fall and let them demonstrate their bravery to Armok and Mars, buck naked armed with only the weaponry between their legs. Feel free to add an enclosure made of glass windows and put tables and chairs around. Too bad we don't have Dwarven Barkers or Ticket Dispensers, but maybe your Bookkeeper can double as a Bookie. Use a raised bridged to let the cleaning crew remove the mangled remains. I always roleplay this as the "entertainment" for the Human and Elven diplomats.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Be careful if you go outside, we may have slipped into the universe where DF is real. http://www.lovemeow.com/kitten-1842646447.html

quote:

A tiny kitten came out of the woods and walked up to a man in his yard, meowing and even climbing into his lap...

"...now we have a cat."

quote:

"As soon as I saw her (the first day) I knew she was going to be our cat - even after I tried to convince myself otherwise."

When you are chosen by a kitten, you just don't stand a chance.

No word yet if the house has filled with noxious fumes after the kitten killed a butterfly.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Sorry if I'm repeating a question, but I allowed a human bard to live in my fortress, but I can't seem to assign him to my tavern. He's just not the list. Am I being dumb, or is he going to be performing there anyway?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Is he a citizen yet or just living there?

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I made him a citizen when he asked - I think he's got the good thoughts about being newly made one. Unless there's a difference I haven't noticed between living in a place and being a citizen?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Guests will petition for residency and then later petition to be citizens (after 2 years i think, and soldiers will never become citizens), you usually can't assign labors when they are just residents and that might extend to assigning to specific taverns (I honestly haven't tried) Some of the residents will have random jobs already activated so you might see your poets/bards planting crops or gathering wood.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Aha, thanks for that. It was the first time it had happened so I misunderstood. When I get home I'll check that for my own mind, but you're going to be correct I'm sure.

Now I'll wait for his citizenship application (if the fortress survives that long)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

quote:

“A game that inspires people to tell stories is very cool. Dwarf Fortress influenced the way I think about games,” Stephens says, who recently moved from Washington to California to accept a job developing Toe Jam and Earl 4.

:getin:

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I talked to him about it. I probably can't say anything but it sounds worth getting excited about.

Dwarfmoot tomorrow.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

I get why some people would prefer graphics packs, but I'll never understand the people who play with varied ground tiles turned on.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
How else do you know what's floor and what's a pit?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Met posted:

I get why some people would prefer graphics packs, but I'll never understand the people who play with varied ground tiles turned on.

If i couldve played with a tileset, i would, but im really nervous about loving up the save...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If you're breaking saves by changing tilesets, you're doing something horrendously wrong. That's like formatting your hard drive when trying to change the mouse scroll speed.

You could just back up the save. :shrug:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Capntastic posted:

Dwarfmoot tomorrow.

I look forward to your post-moot report. :colbert:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

accept a job developing Toe Jam and Earl 4.

Looking forward to "Urist is a wiener"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Of all the places to find out about a new TJ&E :woop:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

packetmantis posted:

How else do you know what's floor and what's a pit?

Varied ground tiles = random , and backwards , etc. instead of all floor tiles using the same character. It has nothing to do with spotting pits and might actually make it easier.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I like how it makes grass and the rough, crumbly cave floors look uneven and patchy

but then again, turning it off makes the floors conform to tradition as codified by Nethack and ADOM and I think graphical tilesets really suffer from it, so

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It makes it easy to spot which tiles are not smooth, also. Varied ground tiles is only for unfinished/rough areas.

That said, I also play with all engravings on. :whatup:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

aldantefax posted:

It makes it easy to spot which tiles are not smooth, also. Varied ground tiles is only for unfinished/rough areas.

That said, I also play with all engravings on. :whatup:

You madman.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Alehkhs posted:

I look forward to your post-moot report. :colbert:

It is supposed to be streamed on Twitch but I dunno if the a/v situation is locked down.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

This game has been out long enough that I used to play with all the clutter on but I'm in my 30s now and my brain has changed enough in the interim that its easier to not deal with anymore.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Playing with water depths on ruins the aesthetics of the game :goonsay:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Randomly generated poetry forms are infuriating to try and work with.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

https://www.twitch.tv/dwarfmoot

Will be up in about 30 minutes

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Offline for me but oh God I tried to turn it on. Dwarfing is a disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

fallingdownjoe posted:

Offline for me but oh God I tried to turn it on. Dwarfing is a disease

Give it a bit, setup time, etc. Losing is fun.