Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Flipswitch posted:

This thread has been tempting me to pick up a scale model to paint to push my painting skills further. drat you thread and your cool models.

Making tanks is cool and fun. Until you get to wrestle with crappy threads. But after that it's cool and fun again.

If you want to cheat you can go for armoured cars instead, then it's just fun all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Or you can take baby steps and do a half-track!

(I just realized I never got a full-body shot of the 251/1)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Or you can take baby steps and do a half-track!

(I just realized I never got a full-body shot of the 251/1)

Everything is groovy, as long as it's in panzergrau.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
As long as it's not yellow.

DAK. Not Even Once™

(Actually I really want to do a desert diorama but I'm scared)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

As long as it's not yellow.

DAK. Not Even Once™

(Actually I really want to do a desert diorama but I'm scared)

I have a early production Tiger that I built planned to paint up DAK, but never got around to. Now I might end up painting it for Sicily 43 instead. The thought of painting a tank anything but monocrome scares me.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm eyeing up a 1:72 Revell T-80BV at the moment, so many options... http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/revell_172_soviet_t80bv_battle_tank_w_er_armour-p-39286.html

My buddy is putting in an order for some stuff so I might latch onto it. Are there certain brands of models that are worth avoiding or some that are better than others in terms of quality of the kits?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

I'm eyeing up a 1:72 Revell T-80BV at the moment, so many options... http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/revell_172_soviet_t80bv_battle_tank_w_er_armour-p-39286.html

My buddy is putting in an order for some stuff so I might latch onto it. Are there certain brands of models that are worth avoiding or some that are better than others in terms of quality of the kits?

I like Tamiya, but I mostly build 1:48 kits. My latest kit is a Hobby Boss, and the money I saved compared to the equivalent Tamiya kit is not worth the extra hassle.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Flipswitch posted:

It really depends on the kit. Some brands like Tamiya have top notch new stuff, but some of their kits are old crap from the 70s that still have motorization holes. Revell is another good example, a lot of their stuff is just someone else's kit repackaged under their brand, so they can vary widely in quality. Before buying a kit, look it up on Scalemates, they have a publishing history and reviews for almost everything.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Flipswitch posted:

You should always check reviews of the actual kit before you get it. Lots of manufacturers sell brand new excellent toolings alongside crap from the 70s (or even 50s, Airfix, jesus) so you need to know what you're actually getting in the box.

edit: well gently caress look at that.

To make this post a bit less redundant, I went into a bookshop today and I didn't expect this:

Must have been a couple of hundred.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 8, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks all. I'll take a look at some reviews and then report back.

E: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/945595-revell-03106-soviet-battle-tank-t-80bv

Looking at this to start me off, the review seemed pretty positive. :)

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 8, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That's pretty awesome, Unkempt!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I am an idiot that apparently can't help but buy stuff that will take me forever to build when I already have like 8 forever to build kits on the shelf.

Last night at the IPMS meeting a guy had this and he was getting rid of it since he decided he'll never make it. Got it for about 25% of retail pricing, so it was about half of the cheapest price it would ever be from Model Expo..

It's got about a billion little white-metal cast parts, and of course I've already decided that I'll replace the basswood with boxwood. :negative:

Oh, I won an auction for a Byrnes saw, so in a few weeks when it shows up (along with the thickness sander, because I hate having money) I'll be able to mill my own wood to size. :shepspends:

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
:10bux: says you'll start planting a forest

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

No Pun Intended posted:

:10bux: says you'll start planting a forest

I live in the desert, you might lose that bet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Locator posted:

Quitter :colbert:.

HLJ.com's got a summer sale going with a bunch of military and aircraft kits as part of it. The site's getting hammered right now (:f5:), but there are some good bargains to be had.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

The Locator posted:

We will see.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

The Locator posted:

A quitter sees a desert. A kitter sees the beginnings of a rainforest.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Since I didn't see anyone post this, HLJ is having a summer sale, with several kits discounted ~40-50%:

http://hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?SaleGroup=SUMMERSALE2016AIR
http://hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?SaleGroup=SUMMERSALE2016MIL

A lot of these are probably more expensive than what you can get at your local hobby store after shipping, but it might be worth a look.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

Since I didn't see anyone post this, HLJ is having a summer sale, with several kits discounted ~40-50%:

A lot of these are probably more expensive than what you can get at your local hobby store after shipping, but it might be worth a look.

Three posts up :v:. I didn't include links though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Three posts up :v:. I didn't include links though.

You even cross-posted to the gunpla thread. Whoops. :downs:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Lemon-Lime posted:

Some of their Asuka Shermans are ~1/2 what they cost domestically even after shipping. Hopefully they'll still be in stock once I'm done paying bills this month.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

lilljonas posted:

Making tanks is cool and fun. Until you get to wrestle with crappy threads. But after that it's cool and fun again.

If you want to cheat you can go for armoured cars instead, then it's just fun all the time.

That thing is Mad Max as gently caress

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Some neat stuff in that HLJ sale, in particular a shitton of resin figures, a T-50 tank and a D-5T conversion for the T-34-85. Would be worth it even with delivery if the Canadian dollar wasn't so low right now.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Did the Bandai C3PO kit to go with my R2 and R5! I love the bandai kits so much, the last one I have left is the Scout Trooper one but im thinking of getting the snow speeder too.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Dang, those all came out real nice.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Modern Bandai stuff is great.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

All those droids are great. Well done.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Those are amazing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Love the Bandai stuff. My only tiny complaint with them is I wish their stuff was a bit larger in scale.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm still waiting to see them break out the bigass Star Destroyer they teased during the Star Wars line initial announcement :allears:.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

TouchToneDialing posted:

Did the Bandai C3PO kit to go with my R2 and R5! I love the bandai kits so much, the last one I have left is the Scout Trooper one but im thinking of getting the snow speeder too.

Awesomes. Did you strip 3po or leave him plated?

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Thanks everyone!

I have more photos of R2 and R5 here if you want to check them out too. They are a bit older and the first model kit I ever did so there are some problems with them

Dr. Phildo posted:

Awesomes. Did you strip 3po or leave him plated?

I left him plated but stippled on some metallic gold paint with a sponge to give the gold more variance. I looked at stills from new hope and the gold wasnt just one reflectivness.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TouchToneDialing posted:

I left him plated but stippled on some metallic gold paint with a sponge to give the gold more variance. I looked at stills from new hope and the gold wasnt just one reflectivness.

Either way, the effect looks way better than just bare plastic, almost like a production set model.

Also, you made me check to see if they'd ever done an A-wing in the 1/72 vehicle line and they have. I swore I was done buying model kits until I'd cleared most of my backlog. :negative:

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

TouchToneDialing posted:

That one is so great. It looks like a photo!

Sparq's progress update: a whole bunch of stuff.

So I went to a competition and won silver with my dad's wooden steam ship. No prizes for my own work though, which is kind of frustrating.

Here is my Battletech Diorama. Poor Locust broke its ankles after the competition and is now stuck in Repair Limbo. Urbanmech reigns supreme.
I'll replace the house and give the terrain more detail, as I want to win something with it next year.

This one is my first scratchbuild/lightning project. It's the Resource Collector from Homeworls; I intend to light engines, cargo bay and bridge. The cargo bay is now ready to paint and light, and after that I'll work on detailing it.

And this is my first foray into scratchbuilding, two years ago. I wanted to design a new Imperial Guard tank for my Warhammer 40K squad; I've taken it from the shelf in order to complete it.
I suppose Ensign will recognize the military model it is based on without hesitation, heh.

Sparq fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 10, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Panzer II?

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
I finally built my first tank. Link-and-length turned out to be easier than I thought. Now I'll have to learn all about weathering and stuff too.

Revell 1/72 Abrams.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Pz IV ausf D with Pz 38 roadwheels and a Tiger barrel up front? Whatever it is it looks cool as gently caress!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Molentik posted:

Pz IV ausf D with Pz 38 roadwheels and a Tiger barrel up front? Whatever it is it looks cool as gently caress!

The IV doesn't have that bevel on the back of the turret at the bottom, and it has a hatch where that vision port is. Pretty sure the turret is at least a II.

The disagreement is likely a sign is a good kitbash!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The hull and turret are PzII. The engine deck and observation devices are a dead giveaway, even though the shape of the hull and large wheels made me think of a Panther at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I'm doing a filthy casual mode ship

(Note: Even casual mode ships have large amounts of sub 2mm parts.)

Forward superstructure went on today. This is the first model I've made in about 10 years, lots of firsts for me, like using filler and thinning my paints. I already kinda want to do a repeat and try get the hull finish right.

Model is Revell HMS Kelly, a British destroyer that was sunk near Crete in 1941.