Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

No one knows, and $380~. Expect around $400 for basic stuff based on the 1080 launch though.

Pretty much always add ~$20 to the MSRP for a decent aftermarket card at launch, it was the same with the 970 with all of them being at least $349 instead of $329.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Geemer posted:

Mainly because I was too lazy and the Crimson drivers had known issues I didn't feel like dealing with. Besides, would updating really help when the software used to run without problem?

E: Like, would it help to keep this poo poo from popping up over all my windows? This is after just now completely powering off, letting the caps drain and doing a cold boot, then opening Firefox and switching a tab. (More noticeable on dark parts of the screen, also goes over the taskbar and desktop whenever it feels like it.)

Hey Geemer! Wasnt expecting to see Rainwave used for graphics card testing purposes. :O

How did the baking go?

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 9, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

future ghost posted:

I always try to troubleshoot everything before sending anything in for RMA but I guess I've been lucky with warranty support so far. Sending the 290 into MSI for service took a little longer than expected the other week but ended up getting a (as far as I can tell, new) 390 for an exchange was pretty good. Runs cooler and quieter than the 290 anyways. About $200 with shipping well spent.

This is just one reference point, but Galax warranty support was really good for my 980 Ti HOF. It just stopped working after two months, described my trouble shooting steps in the RMA. Within 8 hours I had an RMA number(did this at like 4am), but had to pay for my shipping to Galax. They shipped me a BNIB card with 4 days.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Pretty much always add ~$20 to the MSRP for a decent aftermarket card at launch, it was the same with the 970 with all of them being at least $349 instead of $329.

Yeah for sure, it's a lot better than the negative nellys who keep saying that the FE edition is the new MRSP.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

doughboy1013 posted:

Dumb question, checking my crazy. Have an MSI 970 sitting in a box from the Microcenter fire sale a few weeks back, $250 before rebate.

I have no reason to hold on to this if the RX 480 8GB is projected to sit around $240 MSRP, right?

1080p, btw. Not quite ready for the Ultrawide 34"... yet.

If you can return it without getting burned on restocking, you should imo.
The best argument for AMD are FreeSync monitors if price is a concern.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

sauer kraut posted:

If you can return it without getting burned on restocking, you should imo.
The best argument for AMD are FreeSync monitors if price is a concern.

I agree here. Freesync has a much better selection and value in the lower end stuff, and it's a great way to add to the value of a video card.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Even if there is a potential for it only being a sidegrade in performance, the added features are worth the switch. DP 1.3 is a big one, as well as the much larger VRAM pool.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Geemer posted:

gently caress it, let's go full 360 on this fucker and bake it. If it'll last me until that 480 comes out, I'll be pleased. And if I gently caress it up, I guess I'll get a learning experience about the power of the Intel HD Graphics 2500, which should at least let me do web browsing.

I'm pretty confident in ruling out the display connectors because those lovely pixels show up on screenshots and on both my monitors.

A logistics question: I'm pretty comfortable around installing CPUs and their HSF, are there notable differences to that process for GPU? I've never taken the cooling off of one of those before.

Screws on those heatsinks can be really tiny, so a magnetic screwdriver and a light surface to work on are ideal

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
~Hello Darkness, my old friend~

One week of AMD. Lol. Maybe I've just had the worst luck with drivers for the last ... 15 solid years, but my opinion still stands. I can count how many times a driver has outright failed on me with a nvidia card ive owned on zero 1 hand.

Also RIP 1x 7870

Come on baby, I have one more to last me two more weeks!

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 9, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Screws on those heatsinks can be really tiny, so a magnetic screwdriver and a light surface to work on are ideal

Pro tip never do fine detail work like this in a carpeted area. Had the innards of a lens shutter try to escape once.

For more complex projects, a 28-compartment pill planner is a great way to store small parts. Also, video yourself disassembling it and putting the parts in the planner. Then you can figure out how it all originally went together.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 9, 2016

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

~Hello Darkness, my old friend~

One week of AMD. Lol. Maybe I've just had the worst luck with drivers for the last ... 15 solid years, but my opinion still stands. I can count how many times a driver has outright failed on me with a nvidia card ive owned on zero 1 hand.

Not to fanboy, but the first couple google results for that 4101 error code are all talking about Nvidia cards, so just a roll of the dice really when poo poo like this happens.

Also during that search found this that should help eek out a bit more with the card: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2665946

Seems that if you extend the time Windows gives the display driver to do its thing, say if for an older card near the end of its life, Windows won't kill/restart the driver prematurely. Not saying it will work, but worth a shot.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

No one knows, and $380~. Expect around $400 for basic stuff based on the 1080 launch though.

Does Nvidia give reference prices only in dollars or do they also have them in €? I'd like to know how much we're being gouged this time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Reference price on 1080s is 789 euros IIRC.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Truga posted:

Reference price on 1080s is 789 euros IIRC.

And then probably a ~20% VAT on top of that? Ouch.

Also holy lol, 789.99 euro + 20% VAT = 947.98 euro, 947.98 euro = $1080 USD.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Isn't VAT required to be included in the EU or does that not apply for MSRPs?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Fragrag posted:

Isn't VAT required to be included in the EU or does that not apply for MSRPs?

Yeah VAT is included in MSRPs too.

I don't know about the rest of euroland but here in the UK the 1080FE is going for £619 for the lesser brands, and slightly higher for Asus/Gigabyte/etc. Which works out at ~900USD, or 750 ignoring tax. So we're paying a 50 dollar premium (plus tax we can't avoid by buying out of state etc).

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The mark-up is even more egregious in Australia. 1200AUD = 900~ USD. Given 10% GST, ~820USD. So there is basically a 120USD mark-up.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Oh I wasn't complaining, just being factual. I don't think a $50 markup to cover shipping to Europe and providing after-sale support in a bunch more languages is actually that bad.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Back with the 980 Ti MSI Gaming 6G, Gigabyte G1, MSI Lightning, Zotac Amp Extreme etc they only got a few fps over reference at 4K so it's not surprising the new MSI Gaming 8G only gets 1 fps over FE at 4K. Seems to be some bottleneck at those ultra high resolutions that simply increasing the core / mem frequency doesn't help with.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

Back with the 980 Ti MSI Gaming 6G, Gigabyte G1, MSI Lightning, Zotac Amp Extreme etc they only got a few fps over reference at 4K so it's not surprising the new MSI Gaming 8G only gets 1 fps over FE at 4K. Seems to be some bottleneck at those ultra high resolutions that simply increasing the core / mem frequency doesn't help with.

But the core/memory was not higher than you can get on the reference PCB, it's looking like the limiting factor is the chip itself, not the power delivery, if so you might as well buy one of the cheaper cards with a reference PCB and a decent cooler slapped on.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

764-799€ on Amazon Italy. It ends up going for about 900$.
Luckily, VAT was already included! (ours is 22%)

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
It seems that if you want clocks over ~2100, then GP104 needs a custom BIOS first, to get past voltage limits, then some decent cooling to deal with heat.

Kingpin teasing 2835 core and 12404 memory using LN2.

He's probably got an uber binned chip there too. Looks like he's only putting 1v into it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No, all prices include tax in EU.

e;fb

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Just pick a 1080 with 1300 MHz GDDR5X and around 1.9 GHz boost, never bother with overclocking software.
That Inno3d iChill X4 is so tempting :smith:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

It's not just high resolutions, it's high resolutions with everything turned to 11. It's entirely possible the spread is a bit wider once you start dropping AA a bit to hunt for the magic 60 fps mark or whatever you want.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Froist posted:

Oh I wasn't complaining, just being factual. I don't think a $50 markup to cover shipping to Europe and providing after-sale support in a bunch more languages is actually that bad.

Well,

a) I doubt they're shipping them from China to the US and then to Europe. It's more like China to both the US and Europe, so same shipping cost more or less.

and

b) what foreign language after-sales support are they providing me? :mad::hf::britain:

(not really a big deal, we're long used to markups for everything electronic over here)

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

feedmegin posted:

Well,

a) I doubt they're shipping them from China to the US and then to Europe. It's more like China to both the US and Europe, so same shipping cost more or less.

and

b) what foreign language after-sales support are they providing me? :mad::hf::britain:

(not really a big deal, we're long used to markups for everything electronic over here)

All true, just trying to downplay "rip off Britain" that people (not you) trot out all the time. At the end of the day the $50 premium we pay over here works out at a 7% increase over the US price - no big deal on a "luxury" graphics card. I'll be happy if the actual price of the 1070FE tomorrow is £399, which conveniently works on the same maths ($450 MSRP = £311, + 7% "Europe tax" = £333, +20% VAT = £399). Anything above that will feel like unnecessary scalping.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
Looks like guru3d put the 1070 review up a bit early then pulled them.
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/msi-geforce-gtx-1070-gaming-x-review-offline.html

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

sauer kraut posted:

Just pick a 1080 with 1300 MHz GDDR5X and around 1.9 GHz boost, never bother with overclocking software.
That Inno3d iChill X4 is so tempting :smith:

Does inno3d still have a really quiet cooler? I remember theirs being a standout in the computerbase.de roundup of 970s or 980s.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The 1080 inno3d cooler is in that computerbase.de gigabyte g1 review I posted earlier.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

xthetenth posted:

Does inno3d still have a really quiet cooler? I remember theirs being a standout in the computerbase.de roundup of 970s or 980s.

Yeah the X3 beat the Strix on that website, being 50 bucks cheaper too. Not sure about the X4's little side fan lol.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I'm sorry if the part picking thread is a better place to ask this question:

I'm a developer looking to pick up a 1080. I'm totally fine waiting a few more weeks, as I hear about MSI vs. ASUS vs. EVGA cards. I'm having trouble actually understanding one vs. the other. I'm somewhat flexible on price and waiting up to a month for a card, I'm just completely lost when it comes to picking which 1080 is the 'right one' to look for. Historically I don't typically overclock my cards, but I may be interested at some point in the future. I've tried google but the comparisons I see go a bit over my head.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Which NVIDIA-shipping companies will do warranty service in Canada for cards bought in the US? All? None?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah the X3 beat the Strix on that website, being 50 bucks cheaper too. Not sure about the X4's little side fan lol.

IIRC the Inno3D has a max RPM of 1500 to the ASUS 3k+.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
As far as the side fan goes on the inno3d card, if it's the same as my nephews 970 (*deep breath* Nvidia geforce 970 gtx inno3d ichill airboss x4 ultra 4gb DHS) then that little fan can be a loud bugger at speed and will be the first fan you hear spooling up but it's quiet enough idle.

If your after a very quiet card I probably wouldn't advise it. Though Iirc you can take apart the cooler and fit a resistor or similar to slow fan speed. Pretty sure someone did thorough testing and found even at low speeds the small amount of airflow was enough.

On the plus side it resembles an aircraft carrier, which is badass as hell. It's literally 6 times the size of the 5570 it replaced in my nephews rig.

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 9, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
MSI has cards up on Amazon for pre-order.

1080 FE

edit: and they're gone

bloops fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 9, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

See this is related to my previous question. I have no idea how to realistically compare the FE to the other 1080s which may be coming out soon. Any specific one I should keep my eye out for? Any good site that will simply compare the upcoming offerings?

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
What I've seen people say is that since extra power phases and connectors don't actually make a difference re: overclocking the card, you should just look for a 1080 that

a) has a good cooler, and/or
b) looks good.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Atoramos posted:

See this is related to my previous question. I have no idea how to realistically compare the FE to the other 1080s which may be coming out soon. Any specific one I should keep my eye out for? Any good site that will simply compare the upcoming offerings?

Most third party 1080s at FE prices and above have faster base clocks (resulting in 2-10fps gain depending on the game), cooler running, and most require more power cables.

Until custom BIOS, all have the same power throttling as the FE, regardless of extra power connectors or phases.

The cheaper actual RRP non-FE 1080's have lovely plastic shroud blowers.

Not sure if that helped. Quite a few videos and reviews have been linked in the past few pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My question would be how to tell if a card is FE or not (unless they mention it or you know the specs).