Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I can't really talk poo poo because I've never 15 runed (congrats!), but why did you supercharge your iceblast wand? I guess I'm not seeing much better to supercharge (I usually do the iron rod for a 3rd shot) so I guess that's probably the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Bag
Nov 28, 2008

I did it around mid game when it was still cleaning up, in retrospect I definitely would've used in on my cure wounds wand. Dispater's Staff is stupid good and replaced my ice blast the second I got it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My problem with endgame stabbers is that even a highly enchanted quickblade or rapier still does lovely damage against things like dragons and OoFs. My last endgame stabber was a halfling with a +9 electric quickblade and a +9 holy rapier. It still took so many tabs to kill things that I got totally bored with it.

Usually I try to transition to another weapon type pretty early on and reserve the dagger for stabbing.

Stab them. It doesn't matter if they are aware of you. Stab them anyway. Distraction stabs are how a shortblade user out-damages someone wielding a triple sword. Nets are like instant fight winners against anything they can hit, a surprisingly large amount of the monster list can't see invisible, and everything gets distracted by summons. Mana Vipers and Spectral Weapons even use the hex school.

To that end, don't stop training your shortblade skill and stealth at like 16. If you do that and complain that their damage falls off you have only yourself to blame. Your stabbing skill directly affects your base damage, damage multiplier, and chance to get a stab. You should also not bother with a dagger after a certain point. All short blades hit the same stab bonus cap, but bigger short blades have more damage. If your Dex, stealth and weapon skill are any good the bonus for a dagger will be barely noticeable.

Oh, and the obvious that fixed damage is more valuable for a quickblade so might etc gives you way more damage. Really though even without those the trade off of instantly winning some fights thanks to sleep stabs makes up for a slight power loss in straight combat.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Darox posted:

Stab them. It doesn't matter if they are aware of you. Stab them anyway. Distraction stabs are how a shortblade user out-damages someone wielding a triple sword. Nets are like instant fight winners against anything they can hit, a surprisingly large amount of the monster list can't see invisible, and everything gets distracted by summons. Mana Vipers and Spectral Weapons even use the hex school.

To that end, don't stop training your shortblade skill and stealth at like 16. If you do that and complain that their damage falls off you have only yourself to blame. Your stabbing skill directly affects your base damage, damage multiplier, and chance to get a stab. You should also not bother with a dagger after a certain point. All short blades hit the same stab bonus cap, but bigger short blades have more damage. If your Dex, stealth and weapon skill are any good the bonus for a dagger will be barely noticeable.

Oh, and the obvious that fixed damage is more valuable for a quickblade so might etc gives you way more damage. Really though even without those the trade off of instantly winning some fights thanks to sleep stabs makes up for a slight power loss in straight combat.

I don't know where to find a record of the game I'm talking about.. It might be out there somewhere, but I think it got swallowed when CSZO shut down.

You can't really top a +9 elec quickblade and +9 holy rapier. Those are really about as good as short blades get. I could kill practically anything (my defenses were absurd), but it was dumb how many times I had to hit them. Summons probably would have gone a long way because of the distractions tabs though, you're right.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Also why are you standing around stabbing poo poo in the extended end-game when you're there to grab runes and get out? You're a sneaky bastard that will take advantage of the unawares but generally shies away from direct confrontation. Play that way to the HILT and I promise you, you won't be bored.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've never played a successful stabber but you guys talking up VS has convinced me to try, plus I've never done Gozag either so it'll be novel all around. I think my last game was hinting it to me anyway as a FoFi, found tonnes of quick blades, boots of the assassin, that cloak that bleeds fog, and randart shadow dragon armour. Was tempted to train stealth but got scared in hell and just 10 runed it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

World Famous W posted:

Bring back surfboard. Then give him Injury Mirror (nihilistic death cult attitude kept) and Waterstrike with the Water Nymph water moving thing while keeping paralyze. Change his habitat to Amphibious and make him a Shoals only unique.

EDIT: Hell, use the merfolk system however it works so he is on surfboard when on water tiles and holding it when on land.

This sounds amazing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Surfer Norris spreading an aura of water like a nymph sounds amazing but its probably too "fun" for Crawl.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Also why are you standing around stabbing poo poo in the extended end-game when you're there to grab runes and get out? You're a sneaky bastard that will take advantage of the unawares but generally shies away from direct confrontation. Play that way to the HILT and I promise you, you won't be bored.

this was cool until they made it so if you don't kill the unique pan lords they follow you around pan for all eternity. now it's a bit scarier if you're going for 15 (still cool, though)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
a beefy water nymph with a buckler that paralyzes sounds loving awful actually

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

fr: Norris' surfboard unrand large shield

Idk what it would do but I want it to exist dammit :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
+INT, +MR, reflect, allows you to "fly" over water while equipped.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Someone Awful! posted:

Give it Unbreathing. Unrand artifacts are allowed to do things randarts aren't, right?

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Someone Awful! posted:

Evocable as a phial of floods when equipped.

Surfs up dude!

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
Re stabber chat, wouldn't Uskayaw be an excellent god choice? Causing paralysis through hitting stuff, access to confuse, and pain link seems like an awesome combination for stabbing.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Hmm. Getting this whenever I try to log into trunk:

Another game is already in progress using this save!

Hit any key to exit...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Is this on cbro? I see you have a VS game open there. Worst case scenario, you wait for that game to time out & log in again.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Internet Kraken posted:

+INT, +MR, reflect, allows you to "fly" over water while equipped.
Beogh's walk on water effect, obviously.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Re stabber chat, wouldn't Uskayaw be an excellent god choice? Causing paralysis through hitting stuff, access to confuse, and pain link seems like an awesome combination for stabbing.

But gaining piety requires doing a lot of damage in a short time, not carefully kiting yaks away from their friends so you can magick them up and stab them in the face one at a time.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

But gaining piety requires doing a lot of damage in a short time, not carefully kiting yaks away from their friends so you can magick them up and stab them in the face one at a time.

Is her piety gain based on damage? I was thinking of it as an alternative to hexes, not as a complement. Better for a tankier stabber like Vs or Ko than for Sp. I'll give it a go and get back to the thread.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Is her piety gain based on damage? I was thinking of it as an alternative to hexes, not as a complement. Better for a tankier stabber like Vs or Ko than for Sp. I'll give it a go and get back to the thread.

Yeah I think it would probably be best for a tabby fightmans character who just happens to be wielding a shortblade rather than specifically a SpEn or something.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I tried it with a stabbed and couldn't get piety.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You all made stabbers sound really complicated and hard so I've just been playing KoHu instead. CROSSBOWS (it's fun anyway and it is itching my smaller, more fragile want)

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

???
I don't know what you consider good but a dead yak every 2~ auts is good damage imo. Enchanter backgrounds are one of the backgrounds least afraid of yaks, you can butcher an entire pack in the open.

Stupid melee animals with mediocre MR are the hexers natural prey.

I don't know how Ugod plays out but if you get piety for stabs that could be pretty useful, a decent number of fights as a stabber start when something shouts after I've killed 1/3 of the pack as they slept.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Yeah, dealing a lot of burst damage is kinda exactly what stabbing is best at? I'm not sure how the piety works exactly with the overflow damage you deals, but yeah, U seems like it synergizes really well with stabbing, especially in the late game. Free paralysis on tough enemies AND the potential to kill them by stabbing their more hex vulnerable buddies through their shared emotions? Sign me up!

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
3rd ascension under my belt! Ds are such a fun race to play - I really wish the others had as much cool flavor as they do.

Now to finally ascend a blaster-caster... is Dr a good race to use for a first try at that?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Sure, it gives you a ton of extra health and some natural AC building with experience levels in exchange for not wearing body armour or helmets. As a blaster you don't want dudes right next to you so the AC struggles isn't as big a deal.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

rj54x posted:

Now to finally ascend a blaster-caster... is Dr a good race to use for a first try at that?
I'll recommend it every time some one asks about a pure caster but give Tengu a try. Really good Conjuration aptitude with decent apts in other magic schools that benefit a pure caster (the only one not is Charms so Haste takes a moment to get up). Their natural flight increases the movement speed by .1 and a 20% bonus to evasion.

Dr is good though. The high natural armor works out well.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 9, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Arivia posted:

You all made stabbers sound really complicated and hard so I've just been playing KoHu instead. CROSSBOWS (it's fun anyway and it is itching my smaller, more fragile want)

Crossbows are cool, albeit less cool now that ammunition brands don't exist. Also sometimes the game just refuses to spawn a triple crossbow.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Here lies a massive pile of experience points, brought low before their time in the name of making Lair not drag on anywhere near as long as it did.

Lair:7 and Lair:8 are no more; it is now a 6 floor jaunt rather than 8. To be precise, the first two floors were cut; Lair:1 is now equivalent to the old Lair:3, so don't be surprised if the opposition is nastier than it used to be, and definitely don't be surprised by the ending vaults sitting on the 6th floor. Lair branch entries will be in Lair:2-4, Slime entry will be in Lair:5-6

http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=38e14289646dd9edd93fea48c627e6a15ab22570

(Of note: the amount of experience in lair on average has dropped by about 10k, and that leaving at XL14 will still be the norm even with that drop.)

Speaking of Slime, Slime's 6th floor has dissolved away into nothingness; the regular mundane jellies all gave their lives to bring the rune vault up to the fifth floor and no longer can be encountered there.

http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=b6148b5347da93205c40feb08e93a7904c6881eb
http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=558a077cadd584637f68c1e90547231deec69886

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

the Orb of Zot posted:

Here lies a massive pile of experience points, brought low before their time in the name of making Lair not drag on anywhere near as long as it did.

Lair:7 and Lair:8 are no more; it is now a 6 floor jaunt rather than 8. To be precise, the first two floors were cut; Lair:1 is now equivalent to the old Lair:3, so don't be surprised if the opposition is nastier than it used to be, and definitely don't be surprised by the ending vaults sitting on the 6th floor. Lair branch entries will be in Lair:2-4, Slime entry will be in Lair:5-6

http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=38e14289646dd9edd93fea48c627e6a15ab22570

(Of note: the amount of experience in lair on average has dropped by about 10k, and that leaving at XL14 will still be the norm even with that drop.)

Speaking of Slime, Slime's 6th floor has dissolved away into nothingness; the regular mundane jellies all gave their lives to bring the rune vault up to the fifth floor and no longer can be encountered there.

http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=b6148b5347da93205c40feb08e93a7904c6881eb
http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=558a077cadd584637f68c1e90547231deec69886

I agree that Lair seemed really long at eight floors - but it seems like there's been a spree of cutting mid-game levels. Lair branches all lost a floor in 0.17, then Orc got cut in half, now Lair itself is 25% shorter... anybody know if there's any plans to add mid-game level content in the wake of all the removals?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Why? The point of the removals is that the game takes too long, especially at those points.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think another short, optional branch might be cool.

Half the time I don't even do Elf for the vault, so much as just hoping I get a decent weapon from the HoB. (And then when I do, I almost invariably get overconfident and splat in Elf3. :j:)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Poison Mushroom posted:

I think another short, optional branch might be cool.

Half the time I don't even do Elf for the vault, so much as just hoping I get a decent weapon from the HoB. (And then when I do, I almost invariably get overconfident and splat in Elf3. :j:)
Bring back hive. :unsmigghh:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I always do Elf 3 because it normally has a good chance of having one good randart, book, or whatever in it for me.

Also because I hate elfs and enjoy watching them suffer.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Bring back hive. :unsmigghh:

Convert caustic and shard shrikes back into bees. Make entropy weavers look like beekeepers. Add bee species.

Bees bees bees bees bees bees bees bees

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

World Famous W posted:

I always do Elf 3 because it normally has a good chance of having one good randart, book, or whatever in it for me.

Also because I hate elfs and enjoy watching them suffer.

Elf has been a bust for me lately, both the HoB and 3.

With regard to the Lair changes: I feel like these have been a long time coming but overall I've been feeling like my characters have been underlevelled after doing all 8 levels of it. Not sure this is going to assist that sensation but it could just be the floor god has been cruel as of late.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Floodkiller posted:

Convert caustic and shard shrikes back into bees. Make entropy weavers look like beekeepers. Add bee species.

Bees bees bees bees bees bees bees bees

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
gently caress yer hive give me my enchanted forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I will only support Hives return if it includes the hidden chamber behind the lake again.

• Locked thread