Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ace of Baes posted:

I saw it on fb and according to the comments dudes been retired and ets' d already, so they cant really touch him.

I've seen people forced back onto active duty to face charges. Oh? You didn't know that the army could do that? lol.

Article II of the UCMJ is a hell of a thing.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/802

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
ok the NG is going to recall this guy over someones hurt feelies.

execution is still in the ucmj too!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Being in a cav squadron is hazardous to your health

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

ok the NG is going to recall this guy over someones hurt feelies.

execution is still in the ucmj too!

Probably not, I was just pointing out that it's a thing that exists.

The only time I've seen it happen is with serious theft or rape.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Syrian Lannister posted:

This should be in the OP

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
To be fair, they are probably both retards.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Obstacle2 posted:

To be fair, they are probably both retards.

Both are SNCOs, so yeah, that does stand to reason

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Got a call today. "How would you like to go to a-stan in 3 weeks?" Uh what.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

White Chocolate posted:

ha ha ha just kidding pack your bags we don't care about your opinion

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

White Chocolate posted:

when deployments turn into olive garden waitresses trying to cover shifts

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Teflon Don posted:

Being in the army is hazardous to your health

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Justin Tyme posted:

when deployments turn into olive garden waitresses trying to cover shifts

Bring back the draft.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...omepage%2Fstory

Army at its armiest: SF dude denied MoH because he was an NCO and that's totally their job to begin with.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Plumlee was expected to be a leader once the Taliban attacked rather than “a private who would be seized by the moment and take extremely valorous and courageous action,” the board member told the inspector general, according to the report.

:what:

SF doesn't have anyone below the rank of SGT, wtf do privates have to do with this. gently caress never mind, gently caress the stupid gay army, hang all loving nobles and CSMs.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

psydude posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...omepage%2Fstory

Army at its armiest: SF dude denied MoH because he was an NCO and that's totally their job to begin with.

:allbuttons:

What the mothergently caress?

quote:

The issue was taken up by the service’s Senior Army Decorations Board afterward, with two three-star generals and the top enlisted soldier in the service, now-retired Sergeant Major of the Army Raymond F. Chandler, serving as voting members.

Found out who the loving useless cockmuppet was that was "anonymously quoted".

quote:

“LTG McConville stated that he believed the nominee’s actions were worthy of the MOH; however, after reading the award recommendation packet, he was not sure that a reader would fully grasp what really happened during the firefight,” the IG report said. “He stated that MOH award recommendations must be constructed to ‘make sure people fully understand the level of valor that was involved.'”

gently caress it, I'm done.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 9, 2016

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
Add that to the list of events where Chandler did the exact opposite of what the whole reason his position exists for.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
That's the army that I know.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Awards stuff is to weird. I've had commanders that, as long as it met the regs and you wrote it up right, gave out "lots" of awards. I've also had commanders that were like "You know some people got certificates for combat tours in Iraq. I don't think what that Soldier did is deserving of an award."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you get to the point where you're up for a moh, just give them the moh without CRITICISING THE WRITING STYLE

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Geirskogul posted:

If you get to the point where you're up for a moh, just give them the moh without CRITICISING THE WRITING STYLE

I haven't been in a position to recommend anything close to a MoH but routinely I'm told that someone absolutely deserves an MSM, but first I'll need to research all of their achievements ever in excruciating detail and then pick and choose what a COL I've never met might think is important or the GO who can approve it won't even see it.

It's frustrating.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Awards stuff is to weird. I've had commanders that, as long as it met the regs and you wrote it up right, gave out "lots" of awards. I've also had commanders that were like "You know some people got certificates for combat tours in Iraq. I don't think what that Soldier did is deserving of an award."

The final thing that led to me not giving a gently caress was when my PSG got his end of tour BSM downgraded to an ARCOM because he was only an E6 when we initially put him in for it. Meanwhile, another E7, who was fired from being another platoon's platoon sergeant because he was an incompetent retard, received one.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

The final thing that led to me not giving a gently caress was when my PSG got his end of tour BSM downgraded to an ARCOM because he was only an E6 when we initially put him in for it. Meanwhile, another E7, who was fired from being another platoon's platoon sergeant because he was an incompetent retard, received one.

I've seen all kinds of messed up stuff with tour awards.

Story Time: A company commander pulled all the tour awards for his people who failed the PT test in country. Here's the kicker, he was getting the BSM even though he was one of the PT failures. The BC at the time was going to sign off on the BSM because gently caress PT tests in a warzone. Then he found out about what the commander was doing and denied it.

Company commander got a certificate for a year long combat tour. lol.

Side not: Who the hell thought it was a good idea to make PT tests a thing when you're deployed? We weren't even allowed to do PT. And SURPRISE! Our APFT has very little to do with actual wartime stuff, so even though we were tough and strong many had trouble with the dumb APFT.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

spacetoaster posted:

I've seen all kinds of messed up stuff with tour awards.

Story Time: A company commander pulled all the tour awards for his people who failed the PT test in country. Here's the kicker, he was getting the BSM even though he was one of the PT failures. The BC at the time was going to sign off on the BSM because gently caress PT tests in a warzone. Then he found out about what the commander was doing and denied it.

Company commander got a certificate for a year long combat tour. lol.

Side not: Who the hell thought it was a good idea to make PT tests a thing when you're deployed? We weren't even allowed to do PT. And SURPRISE! Our APFT has very little to do with actual wartime stuff, so even though we were tough and strong many had trouble with the dumb APFT.

Pretty sure that it can't even count for record if you do it while deployed. Plus, you've got like three months after deployment before it counts. Any sort of organized PT on a deployment is a sign that your deployment doesn't matter and you shouldn't even be in theater.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pesticide20 posted:

Pretty sure that it can't even count for record if you do it while deployed. Plus, you've got like three months after deployment before it counts. Any sort of organized PT on a deployment is a sign that your deployment doesn't matter and you shouldn't even be in theater.

CJTF_HOA.txt

Literally did APFT 30.0001 days after landing, to literally no one but the 1SG surprise, everyone did terrible.

Retest all failures every two weeks until they don't fail because he screwed the pooch so bad something like 30% failed and everyone dropped like 40 points minimum.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 9, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Man, I worked in a Brigade S1 for awhile, and did a lot of poo poo regarding awards while in Iraq. The highest thing I touched was Bronze Star with Vs, I think, maybe a silver star. Anyhow, the CAB was recently a new medal, and the documentation they wanted for those was ridiculous, like story boards on ppt and all sorts of poo poo. Some of the award recommendations were kind of silly, for example, one person from an FSB was put in because during a rocket or mortar attack an AC unit fell out of a window kind of close them.

Anyhow the scrutiny on them was pretty crazy. I probably could have gotten a CAB for loving mortars or whatever but it would have just meant more paperwork I'd have to process, so nope, plus I didn't really feel like I deserved it for them :shrug:

ANYHOW, a really surprisingly easy award to get through was a BSM tour medal for E7s and above. As long as the admin data was correct and they had the 4 blocks on the recommendation filled in, it was signed. :sigh:

The awards for higher ranks pissed me off, talked to a company commander I had later on, in a different command, when I was in a CM company and just a squad leader and not an awards geek. He said that he believed higher ranks deserve higher awards because of the increased responsibility. He didn't like my counter argument that they are already compensated for that with higher pay, and that he was just doing what there job was. The awards system is so broke and stupid.

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 9, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pesticide20 posted:

Yeah, organized PT in a warzone is dumb.

I went to Iraq in 03 and stayed til 04. We came home in March and had to take a PT test before coming back. We actually had to go to another FOB to take it because outdoor PT was unauthorized at ours.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Pesticide20 posted:

They do count, and I know someone who started to get chaptered because he failed height and weight and all that.

I've always had a problem with the way that awards are done. IMO they should be submitted without the loving rank somehow so that they are all looked at equally. I too was denied a bronze star for my tour in Iraq despite the fact that what I was doing in theater was something senior NCOs should have been doing. So, what happened instead was they stole the credit, got bronze stars and used my worksheets and data to apply for WOC, which they got in. Of course they did. I got downgraded to a ARCOM because "Bronze stars are only for higher ranks." and "Your squad leader didn't get one, so therefore you can't either." Right.

I've never agreed with any award I've gotten save my foriegn awards, my impact awards and my medal from Haiti. Everything else is largely bullshit. Someone else in my squad in Iraq got a CoA for completing his tour. Dude was the laziest, nastiest, smelliest, dumbest mother fucker I've ever met and was roommates with him. I wouldn't have even done that to him and I almost drank out of his piss bottle when he put it in with the clean water bottles.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

They do count, and I know someone who started to get chaptered because he failed height and weight and all that.

I've always had a problem with the way that awards are done. IMO they should be submitted without the loving rank somehow so that they are all looked at equally. I too was denied a bronze star for my tour in Iraq despite the fact that what I was doing in theater was something senior NCOs should have been doing. So, what happened instead was they stole the credit, got bronze stars and used my worksheets and data to apply for WOC, which they got in. Of course they did. I got downgraded to a ARCOM because "Bronze stars are only for higher ranks." and "Your squad leader didn't get one, so therefore you can't either." Right.

I've never agreed with any award I've gotten save my foriegn awards, my impact awards and my medal from Haiti. Everything else is largely bullshit. Someone else in my squad in Iraq got a CoA for completing his tour. Dude was the laziest, nastiest, smelliest, dumbest mother fucker I've ever met and was roommates with him. I wouldn't have even done that to him and I almost drank out of his piss bottle when he put it in with the clean water bottles.

I've personally always looked at awards by themselves. I read what the reg says for the award, I read the recommendation. If it all adds up, I'll probably approve it. This stuff about an award being tied to rank/position/etc has me like :psyduck:

My grandfather got a freaking BSM with V when he was a PVT. AND the BSM was invented to be an award for lower ranking people for crying out loud.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

I've never agreed with any award I've gotten save my foriegn awards, my impact awards and my medal from Haiti. Everything else is largely bullshit.

I just don't think about it. It's not really our decision anyway if someone gives us an award. So if it's BS it's on them (at least that's how I rationalize it).

Since becoming a FGO I have received 3 medals that were just laying on my desk with the 638 on Monday morning. No ceremony, no call, no email. Nothing. Just update my SRB and move on.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Kick everyone out SSG and below, then loving hang anyone above that that won't voluntarily get the gently caress out of the army. Burn the poo poo to the ground and start all over again, because the retards will never relinquish control.

Hang all LTC and above because gently caress nobles.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I recently saw some paperwork for an impact ARCOM come back from the battalion CSM with a sticky note saying it should be downgraded because it would lessen the importance of the person's PCS award ARCOM. Gave up all hope of getting any awards from this unit a long time ago, but that sealed the deal.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Bad Poster posted:

I recently saw some paperwork for an impact ARCOM come back from the battalion CSM with a sticky note saying it should be downgraded because it would lessen the importance of the person's PCS award ARCOM. Gave up all hope of getting any awards from this unit a long time ago, but that sealed the deal.

The only people I've ever seen awarded impact ARCOMs are pieces of poo poo who within a week of receiving the award invariably majorly gently caress up in some way. The speed at which leadership goes from blowing the guy for how great he is to loving him in the rear end got being retarded is mind boggling. Plus, most impact ARCOMs I've seen are awarded to some guy that runs a five mile fast or other bullshit metric that doesn't really deserve an ARCOM in the first place

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
It's bizarre and frustrating that the army is as inconsistent with awards as the TSA is with taking off your belt and shoes.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

manchego posted:

It's bizarre and frustrating that the army is as inconsistent with awards as the TSA is with taking off your belt and shoes.

It's great because most of the commands Ive been in completely disregard whole parts of the regulation concerning awards, such as establishing OMLs and doing it based on rank :shrug:

Of course no one reads regulation and just quote what they think they heard someone else say 5 years ago.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

In some deep, dark sub-basement of the Pentagon there is a general officer slumbering on a pile of medals like a dragon hoarding gold.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

In some deep, dark sub-basement of the Pentagon there is a general officer slumbering on a pile of medals like a dragon hoarding gold.

I'm trying to find the article that I read a few years back that was like "Army doesn't even know what this guys job is"

it was some general I think that had been relieved of a command and just hung out at the pentagon.

Anyhow maybe he is the dragon?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Pesticide20 posted:

The only people I've ever seen awarded impact ARCOMs are pieces of poo poo who within a week of receiving the award invariably majorly gently caress up in some way. The speed at which leadership goes from blowing the guy for how great he is to loving him in the rear end got being retarded is mind boggling. Plus, most impact ARCOMs I've seen are awarded to some guy that runs a five mile fast or other bullshit metric that doesn't really deserve an ARCOM in the first place

It was for our last JRTC rotation. Word came from on high for each section of the company to give three people awards, two AAMs and one ARCOM. This thought process for awards is how one of our S1 clerks had 5 AAMs as a PFC.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm trying to find the article that I read a few years back that was like "Army doesn't even know what this guys job is"

it was some general I think that had been relieved of a command and just hung out at the pentagon.

Anyhow maybe he is the dragon?

He was a NYC teacher.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Deployment PT tests are what happens when angry staff field grades and commanders realize they've been assigned impossible counterinsurgency missions, and rage against the system by repeating the abuse against the only accessible target - Joe. "gently caress you Joe, you think your mission is retarded and pointless? I have to brief colors inside bubbles on a PowerPoint to lie to a colonel that the afghan army has met its readiness goals for implementing equal opportunity and quarterly training briefs. gently caress you Joe, nobody's leaving this deployment without unjustified rectal scarring"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Mike-o posted:

:what:

SF doesn't have anyone below the rank of SGT, wtf do privates have to do with this. gently caress never mind, gently caress the stupid gay army, hang all loving nobles and CSMs.

Aranan posted:

That's the army that I know.

Mike-o posted:

Kick everyone out then loving hang anyone above that that won't voluntarily get the gently caress out of the army. Burn the poo poo to the ground and start all over again, because the retards will never relinquish control.

Hang all LTC and above because gently caress nobles.

Then glass the planet and nuke the moon to make sure.

• Locked thread