Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Is that seriously the title of the episode? That's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Cutting open cats to eat the delicious kittens inside.

What do you mean that's not normal? Kids will be kids!

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

kcroy posted:

What if they live on a farm and are cutting the nuts off of sheep, and then cooking and eating them later?

then they should see a different professional......a culinary professional.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Winds of Winter is somehow going to involve a magic horn that makes the wall crumble. (Didn't Mance claim to have such a thing?) Problem is magic horns were a stupid device in the Bible much less a few thousand years later.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

Cutting open cats to eat the delicious kittens inside.

What do you mean that's not normal? Kids will be kids!

Please to not disrespect China's 5000 years of culture.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

davecrazy posted:

Winds of Winter is somehow going to involve a magic horn that makes the wall crumble. (Didn't Mance claim to have such a thing?) Problem is magic horns were a stupid device in the Bible much less a few thousand years later.

Mance had the horn and Jon Snow captured it when Stannis's army smashed Mance's Wildling army.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The horn benjen stashed at the fist of the first men is a much more likely candidate to be Chekhov's horn, it even appeared on the show.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

kcroy posted:

His dad hunts for sport for gently caress sake. Every day he is around people butchering animals for food. But his curiosity about babies makes him a monster?

Let's say he cut open a chicken to see the eggs inside. How about a fish to get at the roe? Is he still a psychopath?

Look Jofferey is clearly a little poo poo by the time we meet him, but the incident wasn't he was torturing cats ( or rats or chickens ) - he cut one open to see what was inside. Kids do poo poo man. I'm not saying you reward him, but it isn't like "Welp - he's a psychopath!". poo poo kids don't even have a concept of long term consequences until late in their teen years.

I can see why people read this as some horrific condemnation of Joffrey - but I never did. I saw it as examples of poo poo parenting.

I'm almost 99% sure GRRM is just using the "cuts open animals as kid = psychopath" tv trope because he's a lazy writer. This confusion is further compounded by the fact that he fails to write him as a genuine psychopath throughout the books but rather more of an overly spoiled kid with some sadistic tendencies.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Syncopated posted:

Please to not disrespect China's 5000 years of culture.

Next you all will be complaining that eating jellied dog-brains, or unborn puppy while dripping honey on my man tits makes me some sort of savage.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I'm almost 99% sure GRRM is just using the "cuts open animals as kid = psychopath" tv trope because he's a lazy writer. This confusion is further compounded by the fact that he fails to write him as a genuine psychopath throughout the books but rather more of an overly spoiled kid with some sadistic tendencies.

thanks, glad someone else sees it that way.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

kcroy posted:

His dad hunts for sport for gently caress sake. Every day he is around people butchering animals for food. But his curiosity about babies makes him a monster?

Let's say he cut open a chicken to see the eggs inside. How about a fish to get at the roe? Is he still a psychopath?

Look Jofferey is clearly a little poo poo by the time we meet him, but the incident wasn't he was torturing cats ( or rats or chickens ) - he cut one open to see what was inside. Kids do poo poo man. I'm not saying you reward him, but it isn't like "Welp - he's a psychopath!". poo poo kids don't even have a concept of long term consequences until late in their teen years.

I can see why people read this as some horrific condemnation of Joffrey - but I never did. I saw it as examples of poo poo parenting.

You seriously have problems dude.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Joffrey being a sadist and Joffrey cutting up a pregnant cat are not mutually exclusive, GRRM never diagnosed Joffrey as a psychopath, it's never stated that he can't feel empathy, there's certainly an element of that (not caring about Bran's injury) but he also clearly takes pleasure from lording over others and inflicting pain and misery.

I think you guys might be conflating stuff that the fans say with stuff that's actually written in the books.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

davecrazy posted:

mr. Leaf: Hey - did you see where I left the remote for bringing the wall down?
ms. Leaf: Oh that old thing? I didn't think you would ever use it. We spent so long building that wall to keep out our bio-abominations and all
mr Leaf: Well, I mean I never would, but I like to play with it sometimes you know?
ms Leaf: I just don't get you Leafmen. Why would you make that thing in the first place, much less make it something small that you can lose behind the couch.
mr Leaf: Oh LeafWomen.. you know what they say - Leafmen are from Mars, Leafwomen are from ... Mars too? I forget our origin story
(laugh track)
ms Leaf: Oh you!
mr Leaf: Anyway, you are right we probably shouldn't leaf that just laying around, one of those stupid wights might walk off with it
ms Leaf: Or that pile of obsidian! What is that good for anyway?
mr Leaf: Oh, it kills white walkers
ms Leaf... wait, what?
mr Leaf: Yeah, it totally fucks them up
ms Leaf: Pilsa Hawker - that actress?
mr Leaf: Huh?! I said it Kills
mr Leaf: Oh I have to go. Tell me later ok? ( leafs the room )
mr Leaf: Alas I die
Benjen: Hey can I borrow this wall breaking horn thing?
mr Leaf: ( silent. He is dead)
Benejen: Aight then, Gonna go bury this and some useless dragon glass under a hill somewhere. I hate being a wight. Stupid nesting instinct. I Keep burying poo poo like a loving cat and their poop. How the gently caress did I end up on the wall anyway? Oh right, I raped Lyanna that one time and got her pregnant with Child before she ran away with Rhaegar.
Benejen: ( leafs the room )
mr Leaf: ( enters the room sees dead Mr. Leaf )
ms Leaf: Mr Leaf! You have died, now we are all alone in the universe except for my few remaining breatheren. If only there were some weapon we had against the white walkers. Or some place we could go that the white walkers couldn't follow. Like a giant magic barrier or something. Oh what was silly old mr. Leaf looking for again? Oh well.

(applause )

kcroy fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 9, 2016

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Huh. Okay.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Joffrey being a sadist and Joffrey cutting up a pregnant cat are not mutually exclusive, GRRM never diagnosed Joffrey as a psychopath, it's never stated that he can't feel empathy, there's certainly an element of that (not caring about Bran's injury) but he also clearly takes pleasure from lording over others and inflicting pain and misery.

I think you guys might be conflating stuff that the fans say with stuff that's actually written in the books.

He's right guys. Joffrey who had his future wife beaten and stripped in front of court and then made her look at her dead dad's head, not to mention mutilating animals as a kid and showing no empathy ever in the entire text, can not be called a psychopath because gurm didn't write a 10 page psych eval letting us know explicitly that Joffrey was "a psychopath." At most we can only say he was "not a good guy."

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TommyGun85 posted:

then they should see a different professional......a culinary professional.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

He's right guys. Joffrey who had his future wife beaten and stripped in front of court and then made her look at her dead dad's head, not to mention mutilating animals as a kid and showing no empathy ever in the entire text, can not be called a psychopath because gurm didn't write a 10 page psych eval letting us know explicitly that Joffrey was "a psychopath." At most we can only say he was "not a good guy."

No because a psychopath is someone who is incapable of feeling empathy, it's actually not a black and white thing you know, like most mental disorders it exists on a spectrum, moreover not every psychopath is a sadist neither is psychopathy a requisite for sadism, if you didn't understand what I wrote you can just ask dude.

Joffrey has motivations more specific than just "he can't feel empathy", that's what I said to the guys who were accusing GRRM of writing Joffrey as this sort of lazy psychopath trope, it's just not true.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Last I read about it psychopathy isn't an actual medical diagnosis, h t h.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Subvisual Haze posted:

You seriously have problems dude.

The Mother cat was dying from cat cancer. If it hadn't been for Joffrey's emergency c-section ( a process the Maesters would not learn to perform for 1000s of years ) those kittens would have died. But instead Joffrey was successful in delivering those poor kittens and nursing them to full health. Despite the beatings he received for "wasting time" when he should be out hunting and kill boar and deer and pheasent and loving underage whores like a "real man".

In fact, one of the litter grew and prospered and had her OWN litter.. one of which you might remember.

A certain gift for Tommen named "Pounce".

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
joffery idolized robert, who killed the poo poo out of animals and beat women and was generally a dumb poo poo head, and his brains probably a bit hosed up from the whole twincest thing in addition to the regular old cousin loving that the rest of his family tree is full of

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The Bad Thread: "The Winds Of Winter" will clock in at an impressive 69 minutes

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

jsoh posted:

joffery idolized robert, who killed the poo poo out of animals and beat women and was generally a dumb poo poo head, and his brains probably a bit hosed up from the whole twincest thing in addition to the regular old cousin loving that the rest of his family tree is full of

Yes and on top of all of that Robert quite overtly despised him, throw in to that mix a mother who nourished all of her sons flaws instead of helping him grow out of them. GRRMs story irt to Joffrey is really not all about Joff being born a psycho, it has sufficient nuance.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

God, every book includes a whole bunch of new characters I suddenly have to know about. I don't remember how many Boltons there are, and if any of them aren't evil, and I just got a handle on the Greyjoys, now I have to remember all these loving Dornish princesses

After I finish Too Many Crows I'm gonna take a break from the series. I bought this comic book, Godzilla: Half Century War. 200 pages to cover fifty years. The Game of Thrones books spend four thousand pages going from late summer to mid-autumn.

Oh that is such an excellent comic. Toss the books aside, you're making a great choice.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dany and Jon are the two central characters in that novel. It also features Aegon (the mummer's dragon) and Quentyn (the dragon tamer).

It also ends with all three of Dany's dragons free from captivity and has Dany riding Drogon for the first time, etc.

Dany and Jon are equally important in the other books though (aw gently caress for cocks excluded). I assumed the title ment that some dragons where ment to fight in some way, but they didn't. Aegon was just there, and Quentyn just died.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

No because a psychopath is someone who is incapable of feeling empathy, it's actually not a black and white thing you know, like most mental disorders it exists on a spectrum, moreover not every psychopath is a sadist neither is psychopathy a requisite for sadism, if you didn't understand what I wrote you can just ask dude.

Joffrey has motivations more specific than just "he can't feel empathy", that's what I said to the guys who were accusing GRRM of writing Joffrey as this sort of lazy psychopath trope, it's just not true.

im no psychologist, but I think you are confusing psychopaths with sociopaths.

correct me if im wrong and im too lazy to google but I think psychopaths are aware of their actions and the emotional consequences and enjoy this while sociopaths dont feel empathy and are not aware that their actions are problematic.

either way, its NOT loving normal for kids to dissect animals unless they are child prodigy morticians. *reality show idea*

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zurui posted:

One of my "favorite" things about the novels is that GURM can't write actual history in any sense. When the War of the Five Kings is on only one loses due to realistic historical forces (and even then it's because Theon is an idiot and overextends their army by a lot).

- Renly loses because Magic. It's not even like there was an assassin who snuck behind enemy lines due to some pre-established weakness in their defenses. Nope, Stannis has sold his soul to the Lord of Light so he just wins.

- Stannis loses because he suddenly turns from a masterful military commander into an idiot who can't sense a trap. Tyrion uses magic napalm but there are a half-dozen ways for that to go wrong and he just sails right in instead of reconsidering his strategy.

- Robb would likely have laid siege to Casterly Rock, which could have led to a daring breaking of that siege (or any other number of tactical or strategic blunders) but instead he falls in wuv and abandons his entire military campaign (which he undertook to save his family) for a pretty girl that he has to marry right loving now.

It's clear that history in Westeros used to work normally but when we get to the time period that's all gone to poo poo.

yeah this is poo poo i always complain about (also if tywin's forces marched to king's landing to defeat stannis he'd pretty much immediately lose the war to robb based on time/distances)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

TommyGun85 posted:

im no psychologist, but I think you are confusing psychopaths with sociopaths.

correct me if im wrong and im too lazy to google but I think psychopaths are aware of their actions and the emotional consequences and enjoy this while sociopaths dont feel empathy and are not aware that their actions are problematic.

either way, its NOT loving normal for kids to dissect animals unless they are child prodigy morticians. *reality show idea*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy

quote:

Psychopathy (/saɪˈkɒpəθi/), also known as—though sometimes differentiated from—sociopathy (/soʊsiˈɒpəθi/), is traditionally defined as a personality disorder characterized by enduring antisocial behavior, diminished empathy and remorse, and disinhibited or bold behavior

I guess it can be argued there's a difference but for the purpose of the discussion everyone seems to be talking about the same thing anyway.

I'm don't think anyone is saying Joff is a normal kid and I personally have never argued torturing animals is normal (I even anecdotally brought up that I as a kid reported other kids who did it to the police), the argument is more about whether GRRM characterized him lazily as a sociopath or whether GRRM created a rather believable character that could also be described as a sociopath\psychopath in a believable manner, I'm in the latter camp. poo poo discussion anyway, who cares really.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I used to step on potato bugs because it made me feel like Godzilla. Then it made a neighbor girl of mine cry cause she liked to keep them as pets in a little pillbox her mom gave her. I've felt guilty about that ever since, and I'm sure when I'm in hell I'll be stepped on 7,777 times by giant potato bugs wearing light up sneakers.

I'm sure Joffrey was more confused as to why his dad was mad and beat him up, and I'm sure Cersei took him aside and told him he did nothing wrong and that he's a good boy and the cats were enemies of House Lannister and he was only doing what was right to protect his family.

The one eyed tom was the lone survivor of that attack and plotted his downfall.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 9, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Okay so he cut open a cat, but the part that got him a beating, was that he was proud. He held up the dead or dying fetuses to his dad and expected to be rewarded. He didn't say "I'm confused, I thought it'd be different... what did I even do here?" he was like "hey dad, this poo poo I did is great, you approve, right?" and that horrifying disconnect from what a person with emotions should have and his complete inability to read his father's face was what made it a "This kid is hosed up in a fundamental way" that is meant to be common sense to people.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Krinkle posted:

Okay so he cut open a cat, but the part that got him a beating, was that he was proud. He held up the dead or dying fetuses to his dad and expected to be rewarded. He didn't say "I'm confused, I thought it'd be different... what did I even do here?" he was like "hey dad, this poo poo I did is great, you approve, right?" and that horrifying disconnect from what a person with emotions should have and his complete inability to read his father's face was what made it a "This kid is hosed up in a fundamental way" that is meant to be common sense to people.

he's a fictive character from a hack fantasy series

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yes and on top of all of that Robert quite overtly despised him, throw in to that mix a mother who nourished all of her sons flaws instead of helping him grow out of them. GRRMs story irt to Joffrey is really not all about Joff being born a psycho, it has sufficient nuance.

Well, I would also add to this the fact that in the books' context, with the recent history of a genuine Mad King, people would be more weary of a king showing those kinds of tendencies, yet no one goes out of their way to call him Mad King Joffrey even as a joke. It's clearly framed that in comparison, Joff is just a stupid rear end in a top hat and not really all that out there. Of course by modern psychoanalytical definition they are both crazy, if not feeling empathy + killed someone or animal + being somewhat delusional/maladjusted is the definition then that's half+ the cast (Stannis, Arya, Brienne cannot be right in the head etc.)

I could take it further and say in pop books/movies/tv a PSYCHOOO is not that often depicted in a realistic manner, for example the Fight Club split personality being a standard trope which in real life psychology is not even a thing that exists. So, in terms of in the context of the books ONLY, Joff is not really a psychopath but just kind of a sadist, which Im guessing IS intentional to illustrate the grimdark fantasy setting where everyone is hosed up.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 10, 2016

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krinkle posted:

That just makes me feel worse for Joffrey. So he did this thing, brought these kitties to show off, and instead of getting praise he gets a massive beat down. To flip the script as they say - your pet cat brings a dead baby bird and leaves it in your bed as a gift. Who goes and beats their cat for that? In fact if you did, you would be a horrible cat-abuser and everyone would revile you.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

kcroy posted:

That just makes me feel worse for Joffrey. So he did this thing, brought these kitties to show off, and instead of getting praise he gets a massive beat down. To flip the script as they say - your pet cat brings a dead baby bird and leaves it in your bed as a gift. Who goes and beats their cat for that? In fact if you did, you would be a horrible cat-abuser and everyone would revile you.

Humans aren't cats

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

boom boom boom posted:

Humans aren't cats

I know you have to beat them way harder to get them to listen, amirite?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

kcroy posted:

You are an idiot.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

kcroy posted:

I know you have to beat them way harder to get them to listen, amirite?

Nobody is calling Robert dad of the year, but if a kid brings you the corpse of a cat he killed, that's a pretty serious issue! If a cat brings you a corpse of a bird, that's not an issue, because it's a cat.

Children aren't cats.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
A new study has just confirmed that cats actually recognize their owner's voices and commands better than dogs do, but just choose to absolutely ignore and tune them out.

I hate cats

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
They don't consider you to be their owner. They own.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

A new study has just confirmed that cats actually recognize their owner's voices and commands better than dogs do, but just choose to absolutely ignore and tune them out.

I hate cats

I hope this is true, because I sing to my cat in a very pleasant manner as I stroke her back, but I say things like she's a stupid ugly bitch and one day I'm going through her dead smelly carcass in the dumpster.

E: also, Tommen and Myrcella are both kind hearted, weren't Joffrey's actions antagonistic toward his siblings too? That's a pretty bad thing I think.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My cat listens to commands and comes running when I call her name.

It's pretty legit.