Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

What kind of Permanent storage do you have? How old is it? If it's SSD, has there been a lot of overwriting on it?

It looks like somethings taking too long to load in, it might be a failing hard drive?

Do you do any overclocking? is your CPU properly cooled? This kind of stuff starts happening when my CPU shits the bed, and witcher 3 sometimes does that to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

hemophilia posted:

Wait, was there a whole nother region planned? Shame. I palled around with Iorveth in The Witcher 2 and was really let down the only scoiatel in novigrad/velen are a bunch of losers that aren't named Iorveth :(

Upper Aedirn is the act 2 area of Witcher 2. It's a river valley linking all of the northern kingdoms: everyone wanted it, King Henselt and King Demevend were fighting over it, and Saskia was trying to make a neutral nonhuman state there to act as a sort of balance for the north.

The Upper Aedirn valley, centered around the dwarven fortress city of Vergen.

We never really find out what happened to Vergen after Witcher 2, but we do know that Nilfgaard firmly holds everything south of the Pontar after recently kicking the everliving poo poo out of the Redanian army, who were forced to retreat over the river.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

hemophilia posted:

What kind of Permanent storage do you have? How old is it? If it's SSD, has there been a lot of overwriting on it?

It looks like somethings taking too long to load in, it might be a failing hard drive?

Do you do any overclocking? is your CPU properly cooled? This kind of stuff starts happening when my CPU shits the bed, and witcher 3 sometimes does that to it.

Regular HDD, 10 months. Loading times haven't changed and other games play just fine so far. No OC and 3DMark's Fire Strike test gave more or less the same results it did when I first put the PC together (also in September). The game does punish my CPU pretty bad, although my temps lo but if it was just that I imagine a lot more people would be having the issue, right?

Guess I might try finding some other high end games to test with too. I'm not sure about temperatures but the case is clean, haven't gotten any warning and the issue happens regardless of whether I've been playing a while or just turned the PC on so it might not be that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nothing good. Nobody in there thought it could hold, and they had a traitor or three inside the walls to boot. The whole region collapsed as soon as the black and whites walked in because, well, you saw the utter clusterfuck that went down in Witcher 2.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Det_no posted:

Regular HDD, 10 months. Loading times haven't changed and other games play just fine so far. No OC and 3DMark's Fire Strike test gave more or less the same results it did when I first put the PC together (also in September). The game does punish my CPU pretty bad, although my temps lo but if it was just that I imagine a lot more people would be having the issue, right?

Guess I might try finding some other high end games to test with too. I'm not sure about temperatures but the case is clean, haven't gotten any warning and the issue happens regardless of whether I've been playing a while or just turned the PC on so it might not be that.

You say you did an integrity check, and a driver sweep, but unless i missed it I don't see a complete reinstall attempt.

You need to back up your saves, do a complete proper uninstall, and then reinstall it. This is gonna suck if you have an ISP with a low monthly cap or just a slow connection but that's where you stand right now. If that ain't hardware, it means something got hosed up when you patched.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I hated on this game pretty hard a few pages ago but something lured me in for another try and I'm enjoying it more after progressing the family matters quest farther and doing some side stuff. The controls and combat are still janky but it's starting to remind me of the stuff I liked about games like Fallout 2 when I was a kid.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Make sure you save a lot, because this is exceptionally risky.

Do you guys think you'll put in a grandmaster viper armor set? Because (in my opinion) that's by far the best looking armor in the game.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

rally posted:

I hated on this game pretty hard a few pages ago but something lured me in for another try and I'm enjoying it more after progressing the family matters quest farther and doing some side stuff. The controls and combat are still janky but it's starting to remind me of the stuff I liked about games like Fallout 2 when I was a kid.

I'm glad you've warmed to it. There is an alternate movement style in the gameplay options, as well as a few other quality of life tweaks you might consider. If you're doing KB+M I sincerely recommend learning to double tap dodge and forget the alt key exists, and rebind target and heavy attack to alt buttons on your mouse if you have them.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Turds in magma posted:

Do you guys think you'll put in a grandmaster viper armor set? Because (in my opinion) that's by far the best looking armor in the game.

You misspelt wolven there and there's already a grandmaster set.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Viper and Kaer Morhen armor look like Geralt's wearing a daddy harness over his chest.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So since the bottle guy in Novigrad doesn't buy everything anymore is there anywhere to sell bolts?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm just disappointed that you don't need the wolves armour pieces to make the grandmaster set because that means rune and upgrades aren't carried over onto it and you have to do them all again :argh:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Det_no posted:

Was waiting for a patch or something but I can't even find someone else having similar issues so might as well ask; has anyone else had problems loading textures ever since the 1.21 patch came out?

I got huge problems with it, mostly buildings (sometimes characters other than Geralt) and of course mostly noticeable in the cities. Get a bunch of low res stuff mostly on facades and roads, sometimes nothing at all so it looks like geometry is all hosed up. At times the exterior of a building might stay low res for a looong time but the interior will be just fine, sometimes meditating even for an hour seems to fix things (otherwise they can take 5+ seconds loading.)

I never had any issues of the sort before 1.21, bought the game last winter sale, and I've been playing a bunch for the last couple weeks so I'm sure everything was a-ok beforehand. Mind you I checked and it happens with or without mods, on Ultra, High and Medium settings; albeit really rarely with the latter.

It really confuses me since I thought Toussaint's streaming tech wasn't implemented in the rest of the world but what do I know. Here's some pics (these were taken with Reshade but as I said, game does the same with or without it).

For the record I'm on Windows 10, Geforce 970, i5 4590. I tried verifying the integrity of the game's cache, did a clean driver install as well and tested the last couple Nvidia drivers but nothing changed.

On the note of patch 1.21, did they screw something up with Dualshock support? I keep hearing that native support for DS4 controllers was added in a previous patch (including correct icons for the UI) but that doesn't seem to be entirely the case with my install, since it's still using goddamned XBOX prompts for everything.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I grabbed the Witcher trilogy on a sale last week. Does this series have a save import feature like in Mass Effect, as in will any choices I make in Witcher 1 be reflected in Witcher 2 and so forth? I'm working through Witcher 1 at the moment and I am hating every goddamn second of it, the gameplay is just so loving bad. I heard Witcher 2 and 3 are much, much better.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

sitchelin posted:

I grabbed the Witcher trilogy on a sale last week. Does this series have a save import feature like in Mass Effect, as in will any choices I make in Witcher 1 be reflected in Witcher 2 and so forth? I'm working through Witcher 1 at the moment and I am hating every goddamn second of it, the gameplay is just so loving bad. I heard Witcher 2 and 3 are much, much better.

It does, but not anywhere near to the extent of Mass Effect.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

sitchelin posted:

Yeah but it barely changes anything. Biggest difference is if you kill certain characters they won't appear in the sequels.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It does, but not anywhere near to the extent of Mass Effect.

I didn't even notice what I got ported over when I carried over from 1 to 2. 2 to 3, I now know that if you don't do that you basically get a flashback interview sequence right after the tutorial that fills in the blanks of what happened in 2, but from game to game I'm certain your builds and stuff, things directly pertaining to Geralt and his gameplay, get reset.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently nothing carries over from Witcher 1 to 3 since Thaler will be alive even if he died and Princess Adda is nowhere to be found.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah, don't worry about stuff carrying over. At most you get flavour comments from characters or some items at the start which you quickly out level.

In Aerondight news I have discovered that Arachnomorphs are really good for levelling it up. So far each Arachnomorph killed has given me a level! They don't counter attack once you've started hitting them in the face and they can take about 11 or 12 hits to die. Perfect. I have Aerondight at 42 out of 50 right now. Just separate one out, get in its face and hit away.
Off to find more Arachnomorphs!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Witcher 2 -> 3 matters. There are characters in-game if they survive the previous game, and it's more than just a passing cameo.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Witcher 1->2 also gives you some starting equipment.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah

hemophilia posted:

Witcher 2 -> 3 matters. There are characters in-game if they survive the previous game, and it's more than just a passing cameo.

Yeah, but you can choose to simulate a save if you ended up killing them and decide you want them alive in 3.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I forget, is it possible for Roche to die in 2?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Witcher 1->2 also gives you some starting equipment.

Thing is, even if you had the very best equipment from W1 these are only slightly better in stats than the default starting equipment from W2, and much weaker than the first upgrades you find in Flotsam. Doesn't make logical sense, but that's game design for you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RatHat posted:

I forget, is it possible for Roche to die in 2?

No. At worst, he gets a gut wound trying to save Anais on his own if you rescue Triss instead.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Well Roach got her tail back when I went to Skellige! :3:

Skellige looks so pretty :swoon:

Definitely a nice change from Peasantmiseryland and Burnpeoplealive City.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is the path I'm going to play Witcher 3 from, but I'm planning to go back and try out Iorveth's story since I heard the game is radically different and it's not just dialogue changes.

Side note, according to the achievement description, this was Saskia?? :aaa:
Yeah, you really need to do the Iorveth path because you'll get to understand what's the deal with Saskia in way more detail.

Lord_Of_Overstock
Sep 26, 2015
I must say, the points of interests are way better done in this then in the base game.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

RatHat posted:

Apparently nothing carries over from Witcher 1 to 3 since Thaler will be alive even if he died and Princess Adda is nowhere to be found.

Except (B&W spoiler) if you got aerondight in Witcher 1 you dont have to complete five quests to get it in B&W you just fight the hermit and then the Lady of the Lake tells you not to lose it this time.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Helith posted:

In Aerondight news I have discovered that Arachnomorphs are really good for levelling it up. So far each Arachnomorph killed has given me a level! They don't counter attack once you've started hitting them in the face and they can take about 11 or 12 hits to die. Perfect. I have Aerondight at 42 out of 50 right now. Just separate one out, get in its face and hit away.
Off to find more Arachnomorphs!

Thanks for this tip. Even I was able to get a few more points in my Aerondight fighting these guys. There's a big group near Termes palace ruins marker but I don't know if they respawn or not.

StoneOfShame posted:

Except (B&W spoiler) if you got aerondight in Witcher 1 you dont have to complete five quests to get it in B&W you just fight the hermit and then the Lady of the Lake tells you not to lose it this time.

I was told the same thing after doing the quests.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

StoneOfShame posted:

Woah! I just thought that's how it went. Were they good to do? Did I miss out?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

StoneOfShame posted:

This has nothing to do with a Witcher 1 save, it happens anyway. The 'proving virtues' stuff applies to quests you do in Toussaint only, and it's things like giving a tip to the delivery boy proves charity or whatever. If you take your time visiting the hermit then you're likely to have proved all the virtues already.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just started the endgame and let me just say that The Land of a Thousand Fables came right outta nowhere. :psyduck:

And I'm not even finished yet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finally ran into Equine Phantoms, what a fun quest.

Geralt openly yawning during one long speech in particular cracked me up, as did him spotting that Roach had got bored and started eating grass.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Azazell0 posted:

I just started the endgame and let me just say that The Land of a Thousand Fables came right outta nowhere. :psyduck:

And I'm not even finished yet.

Favourite part of the expansion.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

John Charity Spring posted:

This has nothing to do with a Witcher 1 save, it happens anyway. The 'proving virtues' stuff applies to quests you do in Toussaint only, and it's things like giving a tip to the delivery boy proves charity or whatever. If you take your time visiting the hermit then you're likely to have proved all the virtues already.

I'm pretty sure I hadn't done most of the virtue quests and I read on the wiki it carries over.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

StoneOfShame posted:

I'm pretty sure I hadn't done most of the virtue quests and I read on the wiki it carries over.

I never played Witcher 1 and got the same dialogue ("Don't lose it this time") and an instant completion even though I'd only done a few sidequests before heading there.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The virtue quests are just doing normal quests in a way that embodies a virtue.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

John Charity Spring posted:

I never played Witcher 1 and got the same dialogue ("Don't lose it this time") and an instant completion even though I'd only done a few sidequests before heading there.

I looked it up and some are saying that either doing the five quests before hand or having the Witcher 1 save will work some aren't even full quests for one you just have to tip the messenger boy who brings you the quest maybe Comte could confirm so we dont argue this forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok so I just bought the DLC thinking I'm far enough in the game to do them

Turns out I just got to Skellige. HOW. I'm dozens of hours in

I did do pretty much every sidequest I could before I went over though