Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

frozenpussy posted:

This is why when I look for an apartment I make sure the unit is not the top floor, and is preferably facing north. Use other tenants' air conditioned living spaces as my heat buffer. It's a deal breaker if I can't find such a unit, and the first thing I ask about.

I'm moving into a top floor apartment next week. :sigh:

Upsides: it faces north, and the vents aren't in the ceiling (they're on the walls around 7 ft off the floor), so I should be able to at least stay comfortable. My wallet is dreading the electric bills though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Shifty Pony posted:

Air conditioning rules but I really don't understand the people that keep it cranked to insanely low temperatures. Here in Texas unless you have a medical condition you should be able to deal with 85 degrees no problem so why on earth do people keep their A/C set to 72 all day? I hear people complain about $300-$400 per month electric bills sometimes.

On the flip side natural gas is so loving cheap here there isn't an economic reason to not have your house at tropical island temperatures all winter.

Do you mean 85 degrees inside the house? Because that is absolutely ludicrous for an inside temperature.
Here in FL you'd be so hot and everything would be sticky thanks to humidity.

And while 72* is pretty cool for a house, pretty much and restaurant or store you go into will be set for 72*. Turns out humans are most comfortable in the mid 70s!

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 8, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

No I meant outside. The warmer it is outside the cooler it feels inside. Stepping into a 72 degree place after being outside in high 90s is sometimes enough of a shock to give me a headache. 78 seems to be the best setting to please most people.

Restaurants are also often cold because they are often on a single zone of AC and they keep it set low so that the kitchen doesn't get too roasting.

(I do regularly let my office get to 84-87 and don't mind it one bit with a fan running. But I think my internal comfort thermometer got broken when I lost a ton of weight)

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 8, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I think you'd be surprised about how much ac restaurants use. A little mom and pop place might have one zone of ac, but pretty much any regular place will have a deticated kitchen unit and 3-4 units for the floor.

If they're really serious about keeping the kitchen cool they'll even have a contidioned make up air unit.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Darchangel posted:

also, come to Texas in about July, and tell me again about "cool night air." We're lucky if it's not still 95F at 2 AM...

This poo poo right here. If I hear one more loving person tell me to just "open the windows at night!" I will cut them.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

topenga posted:

This poo poo right here. If I hear one more loving person tell me to just "open the windows at night!" I will cut them.

Yeah, up in Kansas we have a few months of the year where this is absolutely not an option. Sure, it may be in the upper 70s, but when the humidity matches, it doesn't help at all.

I'm a weenie when it comes to high termperatures, since I start having trouble functioning once you hit 78, but I can live pretty comfortably in a house that's around 63 in the winter, so I figure it evens out a bit.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We put a ceiling fan in our bedroom, so we don't need to make it nearly as chilly during the summer since we now have some air movement.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Dang, is it 'bitch about the A/C' o'clock in this thread already?

Florida here. It's a swamp. I am now used to 90°/90%. I work outside part-time. Yeah, it sucks in summer, but it's worth the hella nice weather for the other 9 months. AC gets set at 78 to dry the house out in summer, and 70 to heat it in 'winter'. If I walk in and out of super cold Publix or Walmart too many times too quickly, the temperature changes make me faint.

It was 92 yesterday with a nice breeze and I was shockingly comfortable. Could have sworn it was only in the mid 80s.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Suspect Bucket posted:

Dang, is it 'bitch about the A/C' o'clock in this thread already?

Florida here. It's a swamp. I am now used to 90°/90%. I work outside part-time. Yeah, it sucks in summer, but it's worth the hella nice weather for the other 9 months. AC gets set at 78 to dry the house out in summer, and 70 to heat it in 'winter'. If I walk in and out of super cold Publix or Walmart too many times too quickly, the temperature changes make me faint.

It was 92 yesterday with a nice breeze and I was shockingly comfortable. Could have sworn it was only in the mid 80s.

It's loving weird what the human body can acclimate to, and equally weird what individual people are unable to acclimate to. I'd love to see some stats on perceived heat and comfort correlated with various factors like volume of sweat produced controlled for time and temperature. I figure there have to be some genes involved, like the thermal version of that gene that makes cilantro taste like soap, or the one that makes skunk smell good.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fat gross people often feel too hot.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Axlerod posted:

I went to a conference in Las Vegas, and on check-in, they handed out a zipped sweat shirt as a gift. I was super confused by the logic there, but I saw plenty of people wearing them throughout the conference.

Is this supposed to refute the post saying Americans wear sweaters in Summer?

Long clothing in summer is more about sun protection than warmth. I'll wear a hoodie pretty often even in 90+ weather because heat may be unpleasant, but a sunburn is worse.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Why don't you wear a long-sleeved shirt instead?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's loving weird what the human body can acclimate to, and equally weird what individual people are unable to acclimate to. I'd love to see some stats on perceived heat and comfort correlated with various factors like volume of sweat produced controlled for time and temperature. I figure there have to be some genes involved, like the thermal version of that gene that makes cilantro taste like soap, or the one that makes skunk smell good.

Is the soap-cilantro gene even real or is it just an Internet thing cooked up by nerds with babby palates?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Guy Axlerod posted:

I went to a conference in Las Vegas, and on check-in, they handed out a zipped sweat shirt as a gift. I was super confused by the logic there, but I saw plenty of people wearing them throughout the conference.

So you were are reinvent last year too?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is the soap-cilantro gene even real or is it just an Internet thing cooked up by nerds with babby palates?

It's real, and can be tested for.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Motronic posted:

So you were are reinvent last year too?

2014, but yeah. I don't know what I did with the AWS branded socks they were also handing out.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

It's real, and can be tested for.

by eating cilantro?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Baronjutter posted:

Fat gross people often feel too hot.

Brah I aint skinny I'm poorly insulated

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's real! I pitty the poor mutants.

Ha, imagine if that was an indicator of the X-gene in the marvel universe. Instead of a blood test they just invite you to a Mexican restaurant.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, it's weird. I sweat in anything over 80* or so, but I have zero problems ever going from 0* WIF to 72* Store to 110* Rooftop within the span of about 5 mins. All day 'erry day.
But I also can't sleep if its higher than 75* and I have to have a ceiling fan running. The human body is weird.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Jerry Cotton posted:

'C' nucleotides in position 6868417 on Chromosome 11 (in the OR10A2 gene) shows a statistically significant (p=0.0000000064) correlation with soapy cilantro taste. However, the effect size is small and it shows poor heritability, so while there is clearly a genetic link it is not a simple, straightforward yes/no gene.

edit: one of the great things about my "walk-in basement" house is that it's always cool (mid-60s), so when I come inside from hot weather I get a nice blast of cold, without being chilly when I'm on the main level.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Zhentar posted:

'C' nucleotides in position 6868417 on Chromosome 11 (in the OR10A2 gene) shows a statistically significant (p=0.0000000064) correlation with soapy cilantro taste. However, the effect size is small and it shows poor heritability, so while there is clearly a genetic link it is not a simple, straightforward yes/no gene.

edit: one of the great things about my "walk-in basement" house is that it's always cool (mid-60s), so when I come inside from hot weather I get a nice blast of cold, without being chilly when I'm on the main level.

Same with licorice?

Cilantro tastes like plastic to me, but I'm OK with it.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

GotLag posted:

Why don't you wear a long-sleeved shirt instead?

Personally? No hood to protect the head/neck, and harder to modify for temperature adjustment including just taking the whole thing off.

I think the problem is do other people in other countries not have summer-weight/winter-weight hoodies?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

there wolf posted:

Personally? No hood to protect the head/neck, and harder to modify for temperature adjustment including just taking the whole thing off.

I think the problem is do other people in other countries not have summer-weight/winter-weight hoodies?

Get a bunch of linen shirts

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If if visit the US I'm just going to rock these because apparently the temperatures and climate there are totally unsuitable to human life

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Baronjutter posted:

If if visit the US I'm just going to rock these because apparently the temperatures and climate there are totally unsuitable to human life

Can confirm. I'm from Arizona.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

After you spend a few hours at 114, it's downright refreshing to get down to 106.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

there wolf posted:

I do the thing where I wear a baseball cap with a cotton dish towel or maybe a tshirt tucked under it to cover my neck. gently caress a hoodie anyway.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

PainterofCrap posted:

Same with licorice?

Cilantro tastes like plastic to me, but I'm OK with it.

I don't think licorice taste preference has been studied. But it may be linked to bitter taste perception, and there are two genes linked to bitter perception with very strong effect sizes (can't look it up right now, but iirc there was a a statistically significant correlation with consumption of coffee and dark beer)

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

keyboard vomit posted:

Get a bunch of linen shirts

Yeah, I'm totally going to throw out all my washable cotton-knits in favor of something I have to iron.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tunicate posted:

After you spend a few hours at 114, it's downright refreshing to get down to 106.

Not yet for me, no.

I'd rather chill at 45 then ever have to deal with 114 ever again.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I find -20F tolerable enough to walk through it naked, but +85F is intolerably hot.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

there wolf posted:

Yeah, I'm totally going to throw out all my washable cotton-knits in favor of something I have to iron.

Embrace the linen winkles, it's a good look.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

its 8.8 degrees outside and ive got my fire going to keep the house at 22.5 degrees. Our friends down the road who DONT have a fireplace are currently rocking 14 degrees inside their house.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Sometimes the temperature makes me sweaty and sometimes it makes me shiver depending on the range

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nazi connotations

Nazi connotations

Maybe just bad luck with random numbers?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Platystemon posted:

Nazi connotations

Nazi connotations

Maybe just bad luck with random numbers?

:godwin:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

22.5° is half of 45° which is the angle you rotate the swastika to make it a Nazi hakenkreuz.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

kaschei posted:

22.5° is half of 45° which is the angle you rotate the swastika to make it a Nazi hakenkreuz.

That's the only Nazi thing you could come up with for 45?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thinking of you all this fine Thursday morning

My apologies, though, it's more like 600 pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'm wondering if I should be concerned about this shed my neighbour built. Our lots are pretty close together and it's aligned with my air conditioner. I'm concerned that it might direct an excess amount of water towards it but I really don't know if I have anything to worry about.