Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

MiddleOne posted:

On the topic of credits-related scenes, was Thrall always literally Moses?

His birth name is Go'el, is voiced by Blizzard's lead story writer and his appearance resembles Metzen more and more as WoW goes on.

So while this Moses stuff is new, it's hardly surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CJ posted:

Orcs are naturally brown but turn green if they drink Mannoroth's demon blood and become corrupted and turn Red if they drink even more and become super corrupted.

Not that it's explained in the film. There's just brown ones and green ones.

And Fimmel's accent is loving bizzare in the film. I thought he was a scandinavian at first - his accent in the film sounds a bit like Coster-Waldau - but apparently he's from australia?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Taear posted:

Not that it's explained in the film. There's just brown ones and green ones.

And Fimmel's accent is loving bizzare in the film. I thought he was a scandinavian at first - his accent in the film sounds a bit like Coster-Waldau - but apparently he's from australia?

Baby Thrall turns green after Gul'dan revives him with the fel magic and Blackhand turns green at the end when Gul'dan fills him with fel energy. Chances are it was explained in a cut scene though since there was apparently a bunch of exposition on Draenor that was cut.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CJ posted:

Baby Thrall turns green after Gul'dan revives him with the fel magic and Blackhand turns green at the end when Gul'dan fills him with fel energy. Chances are it was explained in a cut scene though since there was apparently a bunch of exposition on Draenor that was cut.

Should have left the disc in when playing. Bliz cutscenes are usually good quality.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CJ posted:

Orcs are naturally brown but turn green if they drink Mannoroth's demon blood and become corrupted and turn Red if they drink even more and become super corrupted.

There's also the grey, grey-with-spikes, and white-blue versions. Grey are just a different clan, grey-with-spikes are if they drank Archimonde's blood, and white-blue is if they've been corrupted by mysterious and never explained powers because Warlords has no time for side plots. There's also a considerable number of green ones that have been infested by Draenor's intelligent and ravenous plant life.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
To be fair, having your main character be Moses is perfectly legit. Should have kept the pride which barred him from the Promised Land, though.

Also, while the skin colour thing is meh, I'm not sure where that one reviewer posted earlier got the idea that the good Orcs are white :psyduck: This doesn't strike me as a movie that requires stretching to find a good diss.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Here is a good, fair review that i can relate to after seeing the film, rather than getting into clickbait hyperbole.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/06/07/warcraft-review-a-horde-of-problems-besiege-this-ambitious-mess

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

CJ posted:

Here is a good, fair review that i can relate to after seeing the film, rather than getting into clickbait hyperbole.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/06/07/warcraft-review-a-horde-of-problems-besiege-this-ambitious-mess

quote:

But most importantly Jones has opted to make a movie where nobody is the bad guy, or rather where each side has their own bad elements.

I don't see the humans having any bad guys. Medivh doesn't really count, as he's possessed during all of this.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

THE BAR posted:

I don't see the humans having any bad guys. Medivh doesn't really count, as he's possessed during all of this.

In the movie there's no mention of Sargeras, so he may well have just been on a megalomaniac streak.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CJ posted:

In the movie there's no mention of Sargeras, so he may well have just been on a megalomaniac streak.

Maybe, ff we didn't have the scene where he spells out that he has no idea what evil him has even been up to robbing him of all agency.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I see we're engaging in sickening moral relativism where doing things that can get you possessed by a demon, or letting a demon control you in the first place, is less important than how it makes you feel.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cythereal posted:

There's also the grey, grey-with-spikes, and white-blue versions. Grey are just a different clan, grey-with-spikes are if they drank Archimonde's blood, and white-blue is if they've been corrupted by mysterious and never explained powers because Warlords has no time for side plots. There's also a considerable number of green ones that have been infested by Draenor's intelligent and ravenous plant life.

omgggggg

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Duncan Jones made a pretty interesting movie here, personally I kinda loved it. Also if you're going to see Warcraft, i'd say watch Fury Road before hand or at least keep it in mind - along with Army of Darkness.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Fury Road was my favorite movie in like the last 10 years, so I think keeping it mind will keep my expectations a bit too high.

I was going to go see Warcraft at an early screening tonight but I think I'll wait til the weekend.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just about to go see this . I've set my expectations to Alone in the dark so hopefully that'll give me a good experience.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CJ posted:

I'm way behind on my lore - medivh turns good and starts fighting the burning legion later doesn't he? That would be an interesting take on possession - a fundamentally good guy wrestling with the demon clawing into his mind, instead of "whoops I'm bad. Whoops I'm good"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm way behind on my lore - medivh turns good and starts fighting the burning legion later doesn't he? That would be an interesting take on possession - a fundamentally good guy wrestling with the demon clawing into his mind, instead of "whoops I'm bad. Whoops I'm good"

I have no loving clue what's going on in WoW but in WC3 yes. He's basically rallying all those who will listen to set aside their differences and go protect the world tree from Archimonde. It's heavily alluded that he's not human anymore and that he disappears at the end of the game.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Just talking thematically outside of the obvious influences of LOTR, Star Wars etc; Warcraft is a similar-but-different take on the same themes from Fury Road, also the visual story telling is very clear and concise.

One of those big visual themes being blood sacrifices, blood as fuel, blood of the land, blood of the people and so on - presented for example in visually luscious and vibrant lands contrast with desert wastes - also visually relating to images of pools, gates and mirrors.

brawleh fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 8, 2016

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yes, in Warcraft 3. In the movie he becomes good again once Khadgar drops an infernal on him and he uses his final breath to change the Dark Portal to Stormwind so everyone but the named characters can escape the orc camp. He's unambiguously corrupted in the movie but it gives the impression that he delved too deep and got in over his head when researching fel, rather than a demon ghost crawled into his mother's vagina like in the game canon.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
You know, going in without any expectations worked.

It's not an amazing film by any stretch, but it's a fairly serviceable summer CGI with a lot of recognizable references for anyone who's a fan of the games.

Meganerds will probably get butthurt over some incorrect plot element or something but I liked the RTS games, enjoyed the story of initial WoW and how it expanded on those and this movie felt like a nice long enjoyable cutscene you could wrap around the first RTS.

Basically, go in expecting a computer game level plot instead of movie of the year material and you'll probably enjoy it.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

dear lawd do i hate this thinking.

Isnt that how all mmos work

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Uncle Wemus posted:

At some not-so-distant past, Blizzard said that most of their players don't have an at-cap character, and if they do, they haven't sniffed anything beyond the most accessible of raid content.

The line of thought you two are discussing is on the same level as "Everyone played Mass Effect as a FemShep Vanguard". Sure, Internet Folks think so, but it's not true for everyone else.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
Levels 1-99 are one hell of a detailed, lovingly crafted tutorial.

A;though realistically, it's a repurposing of what was originally core content as a tutorial for new content, which might be inevitable in any MMO.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just got done seeing this movie. If you don't already like Warcraft, if you're not familiar with the lore and world, then don't bother seeing this movie. You will absolutely not like it. Warcraft fans will enjoy it though.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

Just got done seeing this movie. If you don't already like Warcraft, if you're not familiar with the lore and world, then don't bother seeing this movie. You will absolutely not like it. Warcraft fans will enjoy it though.

Is green Paula Patton hot enough for the $10?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Vintersorg posted:

Travis Fimmel looks to be the worst part and I haven't even seen it yet. He's garbage. Vikings must be successful despite him.

Actually Travis Fimmel is the best part of Vikings, and has a physical style of acting in the show that is super likable.

\/\/\/ I'm sorry that Pirates had that affect on you, and I've not seen Moviecraft, but I assure you he is very watchable in Vikings. Keep in mind he's just another actor that started as an underwear model, though, so feel free to chop him off at the knee.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 9, 2016

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Firstborn posted:

Actually Travis Fimmel is the best part of Vikings, and has a physical style of acting in the show that is super likable.

That's the kind of thing that i said was a Jack Sparrow impersonation. It might work for playing a viking, not so much for the commander of Stormwind's army in a time of war.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Saw it yesterday night. I was a huge fan of the first 2 strategy games, and played War3 just a little bit, since my rig couldn't really run it at the time, so I went in as sort of a fan and tried to keep my expectations low. All I could think of throughout the two hours was "where's the movie?!". This isn't a movie you want to see if you aren't invested in the characters from playing the games. It tries to be epic and show you everything and do so many things it just forgets characters need depth. Absolutely abysmal dialogue. Xena Warrior Princess puts this to shame.

This is dialogue in Warcraft in a nutshell:

"Hello, queen Whatsherface! I can be flippant and familiar because you're my sister!"

"Hello, green half-orc chick! I am sad because my son just died and so did his mother giving birth. Also I've known you for like a day, wanna be mine forever and ever? Take care now, later!"

"I am the king and I don't trust these green things! Oh, look, a couple of days passed, please murder me with this nice Chekhov's dagger for some dumb honor-related reason."

"Green half-orc chick! I am unwell. Also, you're half-human. I banged a non-human when I was young. You're probably my daughter. What were the odds? Ok, bye, be on your merry way now."

I understand writing a movie so that 12-year olds can enjoy and understand it but the dialogues were unbearable. Orcs were nicely made. Cities looked like they were cardboard miniatures. Everything, except for the orcs, felt incredibly fake and shallow.

I'm glad if you're a fan and you enjoyed it, and I understand you'd want a sequel made. But I also kinda hope this tanks hard, so the studios maybe, finally consider stopping from underestimating audiences and try to make a video-game based movie that's not aimed at people with IQs the same size as their shoes.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zByWMvVIfiw&t=170s

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It's a shame King Llane didn't know anyone who could tell him about orc cultureso he could declare mak'gora which would have given him a chance to walk out of there as long as he could slice Blackhand's balls off.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I think the smartest thing they could've done would be to cast Pewdiepie in the role of Lothar's son. They really look alike and maybe I would've cared whether he made it or not. Missed opportunity.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I liked the orcs, that was about it. The movie really brought them to life and made them look intimidating and powerful. If there is a sequel then I hope we get to see more of the dwarfs and elfs, also I hope trolls are in there. To be honest though I would rather there just not be anything Warcraft related anymore.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

One of China’s biggest sites NetEase (via ShanghaiIst) reports that on Warcraft’s opening day in Fuzhou, one moviegoer was spotted with a love doll. According to ShanghaiIst, the images have gone viral in China. Major sites like China News have also covered the incident.

The man apparently purchased two tickets, and both wore “For the Horde!” t-shirts. Online in China, however, one wondered why he didn’t get her a pair of 3D glasses, while another pointed out that he was kind enough to let her have the aisle seat.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I feel like a bad husband reading this.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Thank christ it had an aisle seat.

Can you imagine going to see a movie and sitting next to someone's gently caress doll?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
That would certainly make for an unforgettable movie theatre experience

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I'm going to see it anyway this weekend, so not that it matters, but from what people said, I'm disappointed they didn't play it safe-

Just go full CGI. Warcraft I didn't really have cutscenes, and Warcraft IIs cutscenes are obviously insanely dated. If they actually did the beautifully rendered types of cutscenes from Warcraft III and just wrote in the first game's initial story, adjusting it so that people unfamiliar with the franchise have a clue what is going on, it sounds like it would have looked and done better.

I always liked the goofy proportions of Warcraft illustrations (what is it, "heroic/epic" proportions? where the shoulders/arms/hands/feet are way bigger?) Trying to translate this into live action doesn't work, because I feel like it would come off very awkward looking.

Honestly even just a 90 minute limited release all-CGI memefest would probably have done pretty well; hell the Angry Birds movie isn't gonna need any 'plot' to get in the way of making money.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Uncle Wemus posted:

diablo isn't an mmo series.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CJ posted:

HES NOT MY STORMWIND ARMY COMMANDER IN A TIME OF WAR!

Wow, chill out man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

Levels 1-99 are one hell of a detailed, lovingly crafted tutorial.

A;though realistically, it's a repurposing of what was originally core content as a tutorial for new content, which might be inevitable in any MMO.

I made it max as several classes and i didnt even use like half the powers. The crunch sort of changed that but then it was more boring.

• Locked thread