Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

infernal machines posted:

the next major differentiating feature will be the inability to use a standard set of headphones without a dongle

i love dongles.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

PleasureKevin posted:

the battery life target is 1 day and should always be 1 day.

no one in the industrial world is ever more than 10 meters from an electrical socket for long. and most people return from work to home daily anyway. so building a phone that has more than 1 day battery life serves a niche: mostly outdoors people. so Apple could build a bigger capacity battery for 99% of it's customers, sacrificing thinness for everyone... or you can just get an external battery, which you'll probably want anyway as even 2 days isn't enough for an outdoors person.

how about instead of all of this garbage they just invent a telephone that beams a display into your brain using science so it doesn't need a screen and instead of a battery it works on the positive harmonic vibrations of the universe so you don't need to charge it either and idk it's like the size of a key fob or w/e or maybe it's the new smart watch and it comes in a lot of good colors

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ArmZ posted:

i love dongs.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:thejoke:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/search-ads/

apple dead

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

call me crazy but i think it's more something to appease developer than make money

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
:barf:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh sweet i was just saying to myself the other day that the app store needed just an extra lil something to go from being poo poo to being total poo poo, and paid ads is just the thing

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

infernal machines posted:

do you think they'll make a lightning to lightning cable so i can charge my "wireless" headphones from my phone?

Lol you won't be able to listen to headphones and charge at the same time ahahahah tim cook you've done it again

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol announcing it away from any kind of consumer oriented event like wwdc

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Can't wait to try this wonderful, magical me feature!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i like that you picked up on the search ads thing and not the real horrorshow, opening up app subscriptions to other app types

hope you like paying monthly for apps!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i think i might switch to android

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

i like that you picked up on the search ads thing and not the real horrorshow, opening up app subscriptions to other app types

hope you like paying monthly for apps!

it makes sense cause the store is fuckin dead and has been for like 4-5 years now. the only thing they make money on is iap so turning the entire application into iap is the next logical step.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

whats really surprising is that google hasnt done this already

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

there is an android budgeting app that charges a monthly fee to use lmao

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

crapps

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

apparently dark skies on android is a monthly subscription

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

apparently dark skies on android is a monthly subscription

welp

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

there's been a pretty big developers vs. App Store thing going on for years. developers love the app store because it makes them discoverable. and most of the APIs are good and restrictions reasonable and handled well.

but there's no upgrade pricing, for example. so when MyApp 2 comes out, people have to pay full price. so what devs do is release MyApp 2 and reduce the price 50% for the first week and tell everyone to switch over. which is pretty backwards. imagine selling Halo 6 for $20 on launch day, it doesn't make sense. so some devs have the regular app for $29.99 then instead of releasing MyApp 2, they release an in-app-purchase to "upgrade to deluxe" to $19.99 (see Hype on macOS). or i believe it's TweetDeck releases a new version very year for $1, so it's effectively $1 a year. i believe whatsapp had a $1/year fee too. so this just makes that official.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Actually the bundle method makes it totally possible to do permanent upgrade pricing schemes.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

bobfather posted:

Actually the bundle method makes it totally possible to do permanent upgrade pricing schemes.

ugh

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

So you'd rather just pay full price for an update?

Tapbots did this with Tweetbot 3. Instead of paying full price for TB3, if you bought TB2 you could buy a bundle containing TB2 and TB3 for like 50% off the full price of TB3.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 9, 2016

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

uncurable mlady posted:

i think i might switch to android

same but windows phone?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

triple sulk posted:

same but windows phone?

if you legit want a feature phone with a nice touchscreen windows phone is a great choice

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

eric posted:

if you legit want a feature phone with a nice touchscreen windows phone is a great choice

i own two windows phones. don't ask why

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
winphone is real good

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

bobfather posted:

Tapbots did this with Tweetbot 3. Instead of paying full price for TB3, if you bought TB2 you could buy a bundle containing TB2 and TB3 for like 50% off the full price of TB3.

EZ-Pricing™ by Apple

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

there's been a pretty big developers vs. App Store thing going on for years. developers love the app store because it makes them discoverable. and most of the APIs are good and restrictions reasonable and handled well.

but there's no upgrade pricing, for example. so when MyApp 2 comes out, people have to pay full price. so what devs do is release MyApp 2 and reduce the price 50% for the first week and tell everyone to switch over. which is pretty backwards. imagine selling Halo 6 for $20 on launch day, it doesn't make sense. so some devs have the regular app for $29.99 then instead of releasing MyApp 2, they release an in-app-purchase to "upgrade to deluxe" to $19.99 (see Hype on macOS). or i believe it's TweetDeck releases a new version very year for $1, so it's effectively $1 a year. i believe whatsapp had a $1/year fee too. so this just makes that official.

its not really equivalent to games tho cause new games mostly have new content for the user and that's what you're paying for. tweeterbot 2 vs tweeterbot 3 is in both cases a hack around the fact that mobile safari sucks rear end. the value proposition of the app alone is very poor and an "upgrade" is even more questionable.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

bobfather posted:

what makes you think i want to pay full price for updates

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

its not really equivalent to games tho cause new games mostly have new content for the user and that's what you're paying for. tweeterbot 2 vs tweeterbot 3 is in both cases a hack around the fact that mobile safari sucks rear end. the value proposition of the app alone is very poor and an "upgrade" is even more questionable.

also the real reason there's a tweetdeck 14 is because twitter caps and kills your api token

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

broken clock opsec posted:

last year i thought

'at least the music app is still ok'

this year

'welp'

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Toady posted:

what makes you think i want to pay full price for updates

I pay for an app on android and it gets updates through the store. lol if you pay for every update you're getting hustled

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

also the real reason there's a tweetdeck 14 is because twitter caps and kills your api token

you could distribute apikeys across installs w/out separate application versions.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just use the $49 lightning charge-and-listen y-adapter dongle. or the new Bluetooth ear buds because that's what you want, another loving thing to charge

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

just use the $49 lightning charge-and-listen y-adapter dongle. or the new Bluetooth ear buds because that's what you want, another loving thing to charge

at least jony can't garrote you with bluetooth

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/markov_polov/status/740778557455106048

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

also the real reason there's a tweetdeck 14 is because twitter (bad)

• Locked thread