Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Holy poo poo Vision is killing it once again. This issue is amazing and heartbreaking at the same time. The last page....

I thought so too--that might be the best single issue of a comic I've read in a long, long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Waffles Inc. posted:

I thought so too--that might be the best single issue of a comic I've read in a long, long time

It also teaches the danger of too much Shakespeare

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Vision was loving unreal in its quality. Tom King is incredible

Al Ewing needs to be writing New Avengers forever (and if you read CWII 1 and wanted more context for what happened in the Celestial fight, read the most recent issue). He's just killing it every issue on NA.

After a rocky first issue (with a pretty surprising twist ending that everyone knew how it was going to be resolved), Thunderbolts has really found its footing in its second issue.

I'm really digging CWII Spider-Man so far. It addresses a bunch of the hypothetical applications of Ulysses that everyone here was bandying about when he was first introduced, so if you want the more philosophical questions of "man who can predict the future with perfect accuracy" addressed pick that up.

Howard the Duck was surprisingly melancholy while still being very effective. Not used to that mode, but it works - and the Lea Thompson reveal is pretty interesting.

All in all a pretty great Marvel week.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wow, Victor Mancha was actually pretty interesting for once.

Trast posted:

Cyclops turning into a totalitarian rear end in a top hat is a natural evolution of a normal rear end in a top hat given super powers.

Wasn't there someone who said "really? Mr Stick up the rear end became a power hungry rear end in a top hat?" in one of the post AvsX issues?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nothing about Cyclops is power hungry, even with the most uncharitable interpretation.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I don't think they were consistently drawing parallels between him and Magneto for no reason. He went from a superhero team leader to head of an independent nation-state to the field commander of something he persisted in calling the "Extinction Team" within a relatively short time, and kept making bolder and more worrying moves in the pursuit of mutant freedom.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/06/08/civil-war-ii-3-and-marvel-now-previews-to-ge-a-midnight-release-on-tuesday-july-12th/

A midnight opening for Civil War #3 and Marvel NOW! Previews. #2 better have a hell of a cliffhanger, I guess?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wanderer posted:

I don't think they were consistently drawing parallels between him and Magneto for no reason. He went from a superhero team leader to head of an independent nation-state to the field commander of something he persisted in calling the "Extinction Team" within a relatively short time, and kept making bolder and more worrying moves in the pursuit of mutant freedom.

That was on purpose yeah but everything he did was completely sincere towards those goals.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Even on AvX Cyclops was 100% right.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Man, Vision is extremely my poo poo.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So Bendis just Bendis'd up Angela in this terrible Guardians book. I mean, yay for having Angela & Gamora: Murder Pals back but everything else was just ugh.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I was wondering how they'd end up writing out the Black Vortex power up but 'it wears off after a while' is basically the most boring way to do it, especially after you've just time-skipped forward. :shrug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But what about the consequences of Black Vortex?! Oh they wore off too. Oh well.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Doesn't Angel still have his?

Also, wasn't the person originally powered by the thing affected for several millenia?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Soonmot posted:

So Bendis just Bendis'd up Angela in this terrible Guardians book. I mean, yay for having Angela & Gamora: Murder Pals back but everything else was just ugh.

I thought about it, considered it, and having Murder Pals back is worth it

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

I thought about it, considered it, and having Murder Pals back is worth it

I liked Angela & Sera: Domestic Bliss With Swords and Magic better.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They should have a Angela, Sera, Magick and Leah team up book. :3:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Angela's first solo run was fine it when was dealing with the Heven stuff, but the Secret Wars and recent ones I dropped quick because I didn't care for them. I think I've liked the character most in Guardians so I'm glad she's back there.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

wombat74 posted:

This whole thing just pisses me off so I read last week's Squirrel Girl.

How awesome is Squirrel Girl?

All I know is, if Carol had called her War Machine would still be alive.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vision's going to end in tears. :smith:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SynthOrange posted:

They should have a Angela, Sera, Magick and Leah team up book. :3:

I'd read the gently caress out of that.

So if Viv's mind is based on Wanda's, where do the kids minds come from? Did Vision mix the two or something?

And god drat Bendis, why couldn't DC of lured him away and given him Batman to ruin rather than Tom King?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 9, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, in issue #1 it's explained that they're a mix and immature.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, in issue #1 it's explained that they're a mix and immature.

I'll need to go back and re read #1 because I missed that.

Oh speaking of "how things work in the marvel universe" I recently read that movie Iron Man's repulsors are compressed air, but in the comics, they seem to be more beams. I'm sure this fits somewhere around "How Cyclops's eyes work" in explanations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Iron Man's repulsors are actually transistor powered magnet blasts.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

No, it's going to end in the world being razed. God it's like you don't even read the book :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The part of the letters page where King acknowledged that, yeah, he tends to end issues on a downer was pretty funny.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Toxxupation posted:

Vision was loving unreal in its quality. Tom King is incredible

Al Ewing needs to be writing New Avengers forever (and if you read CWII 1 and wanted more context for what happened in the Celestial fight, read the most recent issue). He's just killing it every issue on NA.

After a rocky first issue (with a pretty surprising twist ending that everyone knew how it was going to be resolved), Thunderbolts has really found its footing in its second issue.

I'm really digging CWII Spider-Man so far. It addresses a bunch of the hypothetical applications of Ulysses that everyone here was bandying about when he was first introduced, so if you want the more philosophical questions of "man who can predict the future with perfect accuracy" addressed pick that up.

I really liked the Spider-man tie in because, like you say it does nicely answer questions about Uyleses.

Like if he's telling you "big space monsters are going to eat New York" that's a fine tip off to work on.

When he's saying "this super villain that you have given a second chance to is going to betray you" it becomes very dicey.
Now I suspect Spidey is going to be paranoid of the guy and his mistrust will make it a self fulfilling prophecy.

As for Thunderbolts I was really turned off by this issue.

Like I am a huge fan of the OG Thunderbolts. I thought that I would love this series. But this issue was nothing more than the Bolt's straight up graphically murdering Inhumans while cracking jokes.
It was like some issue out of the Extreme 90's. It was such a bizarre direction to take the story.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

It's going to end with the family reading Shakespeare

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm still salty that the Cyclops solo book ended in a loving crossover. Thanks for reminding me of that, jerks.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Where the narration boxes always red in Vision? I've got a weird theory that we've had a narrator change since the reveal of the original, which would cast doubt on the current foreshadowing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

glitchwraith posted:

Where the narration boxes always red in Vision? I've got a weird theory that we've had a narrator change since the reveal of the original, which would cast doubt on the current foreshadowing.

The narrater is whoever is tripping balls

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

glitchwraith posted:

One issue had the old man neighbor narrating, I believe.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

bobkatt013 posted:

It's going to end with the family reading Shakespeare

The Aristocrats!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SynthOrange posted:

Iron Man's repulsors are actually transistor powered magnet blasts.

That's such perfect Stan Lee science nonsense.

Of course Sunspot would make sure his phone ring on other peoples phones would play the Magnum PI theme.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty much everything Iron Man related back when the comic started was "transistors." Transistor this and transistor that. Transistor rollerskates which also charge up his batteries.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

They were the nanobots of the 60s

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dacap posted:

They were the nanobots of the 60s

Otacon Emmerich posted:

Nanomachines

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Of course Rockslide would make sure his phone ring on other peoples phones would play the Magnum PI theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's no way Rockslide knows what Magnum PI is.

• Locked thread