Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Just watched the We Are Twisted F***ing Sister documentary and it's really great if you like 70's/80's metal or music documentaries at all. Like most people I fondly remember them from junior high as a one or two hit wonder but they were one of the biggest New York area bands for 10 years before blowing up. I have lots of respect for bands that really work hard and they fit that description perfectly.

Streaming on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

S2 Happy Valley seems to suffer from the same problem as S2 of Broadchurch. Instead of a new story, they just keep dragging along the same story that was finished in the previous season.

Goons hate The Killing, obviously, but I still found the first two seasons watchable. It does drag on far too long though.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I'm a few eps into Luther and not sure if I can hold on...does it get significantly better at any point?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Knightmare posted:

I'm a few eps into Luther and not sure if I can hold on...does it get significantly better at any point?

The quality of the show declines so if you aren't hooked already then you should bail out

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
a great music documentary up right now is Orion: The Man Who Would Be King, a tragedy about a man who wants to work in music more than anything in the world, but is cursed with a voice that sounds exactly like Elvis

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LloydDobler posted:

I have lots of respect for bands that really work hard and they fit that description perfectly.

Branching off from that, I've gotten to know Miles Nielsen (Rick Nielsen's son) pretty well over the last several years, and maybe a year or two ago when I met up with him he was looking pretty exhausted, so I asked him what was up. He said he was just following his dad's advice: "If you want to succeed, never take a day off."

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Knightmare posted:

Man I'd heard so much great stuff about this show and then I watched and it's goofy as gently caress. If you're not into it just stop.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
At least get to the serial killer that rolls a d20 before attacking people.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

precision posted:

So In The Flesh is on Hulu now. Seasons 1 and 2. In tone, presentation and subject matter it's essentially "28 Months Later" and is very very good.
Wow, thank you so much for this recommendation. I'm really enjoying this one.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

computer parts posted:

At least get to the serial killer that rolls a d20 before attacking people.

Well...I mean yeah I guess I'll do this.

I just want to like Luther because Obama does. I really like Idris Elba too but British Idris in this weird show isn't doing it for me. (and yes I know he's actually British)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Me and my friends, inspired by Documentary Now!, have started a Documentary Club.

So far, my favorite has been My Beautiful Broken Brain. I love the execution and the sentiment behind it. Reminded me of Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan.

The ending was nice, even though David Lynch completely blows off the question to spout out some TM adverts. I love the guy, he's one of my favorite filmmakers, but he can annoying when he's obtuse about simple non-art questions.

If you haven't watched it, give it a try. (Unless you're a hypochondriac, because strokes are terrifying.)

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Wow, Bosch is like a who's who of The Wire alumni.

Titus Welliver is amazing, show is great.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Not sure if this goes here or somewhere in the tech forums, but I'm about to move and our plan is to cut the cord and go straight streaming (welcome to 2012!) when we get settled.

My concern is providers having slower speeds in St. Paul compared to St. Louis. Down here I get 60mb/s and no chop or drops. The best ive seen speed/cost wise up there is 25mb/s.

In your opinions/experience, does 25mb/s give a decent streaming experience? Interruptions and drops?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

Not sure if this goes here or somewhere in the tech forums, but I'm about to move and our plan is to cut the cord and go straight streaming (welcome to 2012!) when we get settled.

My concern is providers having slower speeds in St. Paul compared to St. Louis. Down here I get 60mb/s and no chop or drops. The best ive seen speed/cost wise up there is 25mb/s.

In your opinions/experience, does 25mb/s give a decent streaming experience? Interruptions and drops?

You'll be fine if it's actually 25mbs.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The Birth of Sake is really good

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

red19fire posted:

Wow, Bosch is like a who's who of The Wire alumni.

Titus Welliver is amazing, show is great.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it as well.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Usually I hate everything Australian, but I watched the first three episodes of The Strange Calls last night and got more laughs out of it than pretty much anything else I've watched this year. Not sure when it got put on Netflix since it's from 2012, but I just noticed it. The old guy's dumb faces get me in almost every scene.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I've used Netflix with 6Mb/s and it didn't chop up. It gets more complicated if you have several people using the Internet at once, but at 25 you should be fine. Their own recommendations say you should only need 5 for HD and 25 for ultra HD.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Stevie Lee posted:

Usually I hate everything Australian, but I watched the first three episodes of The Strange Calls last night and got more laughs out of it than pretty much anything else I've watched this year. Not sure when it got put on Netflix since it's from 2012, but I just noticed it. The old guy's dumb faces get me in almost every scene.

SECOND, and he just gets weirder weirder.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had a 1mbps connection when Netflix Streaming came out and had no problems with it. They probably were less uh, HD back then though. Maybe? That was like 7 years ago now.

Anyways 25 is more than enough and then some.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Tried to watch Casual on Hulu but it was infuriating. Put some god drat loving emotion into your voice, anyone on the show, especially the main male character. If you want something to fall asleep to, listen to one of the main guy's scenes. I know it doesn't get any better because ads for it keep popping up while I'm watching other things and the characters still sound flat in scenes from future episodes.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Netflix just got the Secrets of the Masked Magician Revealed, and it is the soul-sucking endgame of 90's cynicism. It's so joyless and empty. It's the TV equivalent of someone correcting your grammar.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Netflix just got the Secrets of the Masked Magician Revealed, and it is the soul-sucking endgame of 90's cynicism. It's so joyless and empty. It's the TV equivalent of someone correcting your grammar.

I used to LOVE this show when I was a kid and it was first on, but man I don't remember the announcer saying so much weird creepy stuff about the assistants.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

It doesn't help that they don't even reveal how to do any tricks that are actually hard to figure out in the first place. It's a bunch of "well, duh".

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

precision posted:

It doesn't help that they don't even reveal how to do any tricks that are actually hard to figure out in the first place. It's a bunch of "well, duh".

I remember all the build-up to the fifth or sixth special, when he finally revealed his identity as some nobody I'd never heard of

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Dr. Platypus posted:

I used to LOVE this show when I was a kid and it was first on, but man I don't remember the announcer saying so much weird creepy stuff about the assistants.

Huh, looks like the narrator was Mitch Pileggi. (And the magician turns sixty tomorrow. Thank you, Wikipedia, for enriching my life.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

morestuff posted:

I remember all the build-up to the fifth or sixth special, when he finally revealed his identity as some nobody I'd never heard of

Hahaha yes, this so much. I was young and naive so I was expecting it to be Teller, or even Copperfield!

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Though the levitating girl's forklift operator was pretty great.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Huh, looks like the narrator was Mitch Pileggi. (And the magician turns sixty tomorrow. Thank you, Wikipedia, for enriching my life.)

They also put up an old FOX special about the moon landings being a hoax, also hosted by Mitch Pileggi. I also remember a special about America's most gruesome plane crashes hosted by Gillian Anderson. They must have had some weird clause in their X-Files contracts that made them do it.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Just watched Hector and the Search for Happines on netflix and it was really good. Simon Pegg is the lead and nails it, it's not heavy handed or preachy. Really well done flick.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ok Fella posted:

Just watched Hector and the Search for Happines on netflix and it was really good. Simon Pegg is the lead and nails it, it's not heavy handed or preachy. Really well done flick.

I was about to say you were a moron, but I realized I was thinking of A Fantastic Fear of Everything.

But yeah, Hector was cool.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hector and the Search for Happiness was awful and I couldn't finish it

Fantastic Fear of Everything was pretty funny

these are opinions

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I thought Fear of Everything was better, but I really wouldn't say either of them are terrible. But neither of them is all that great either. Simon Pegg is awesome though.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

The title sequence was my favorite part of Fantastic Fear of Everything. I remember liking the rest but I barely remember it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Fantastic Fear of Everything thought itself very clever, when in fact it was boring. Anytime it had an interesting gag, like the skull bookshelf, it had to SHOVE IT IN YOUR FACE BECAUSE YOU MAY NOT NOTICE THIS GAG, LET'S CENTER ON IT FOR FORTY SECONDS.

I liked the premise.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Just the other day I received an error, ai-703, when trying to watch the new season of The League. Apparently the message said that Netflix has detected a VPN/Proxy and I must disable it before continuing...

Looks like Netflix is really starting to crackdown on VPNs...I'd really hate to lose Netflix having used it for 8+ years, but I'm already using Hulu/Prime/HBO Go, and I'm feeling like just flipping the bird to Netflix over them being petty like this. I don't even use Unblock-US to switch regions, I use it for MLB.tv to avoid the stupid blackout restrictions.

Before I axe Netflix, has anyone used a successful bypass for this? Thoughts?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Maggot Soup posted:

Just the other day I received an error, ai-703, when trying to watch the new season of The League. Apparently the message said that Netflix has detected a VPN/Proxy and I must disable it before continuing...

Looks like Netflix is really starting to crackdown on VPNs...I'd really hate to lose Netflix having used it for 8+ years, but I'm already using Hulu/Prime/HBO Go, and I'm feeling like just flipping the bird to Netflix over them being petty like this. I don't even use Unblock-US to switch regions, I use it for MLB.tv to avoid the stupid blackout restrictions.

Before I axe Netflix, has anyone used a successful bypass for this? Thoughts?

I'm probably going to drop all of my streaming services when the TCM/Criterion streaming service goes live and works out it's bugs.

Netflix has been doing cool poo poo with documentaries, stand-up specials and some of their original shows (Bojack, Kimmie Schmidt, Master of None), but I can stay more up-to-date by renting things for free from the library than wait for streaming. I only stayed for the 2016 Disney deal, but I haven't actually seen anything from that.

I also can't justify supporting a company that continues to waste money on Adam Sandler movies when there are actual great filmmakers out there struggling with distribution or funding projects.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea once this TCM thing starts up(assuming I can get it on PS4) I'm done with Netflix. Hulu stays because it gets me current t.v. show episodes, and the movie selection once they lose Criterion will still be about the same as Netflix.

Netflix doesn't even have any original content that I'm into anymore. There was a time when I wouldn't have wanted to miss a season of House of Cards or Daredevil, but I'm kinda done with those shows. Also like Franchescanado it bothers me that all this money is going towards multiple Sandler movies when it could be used for any number of better purposes.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Is Black Sails on any streaming platform? It doesn't seem to be on Netflix, Prime or Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I don't have any interest in the Sandler stuff but Netflix in general is pretty great about adding interesting mid-tier indies. Demanding a platform like that only caters to your interests seems kind of weird