Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I've seen some support PotGs. One of them was even a Mercy who didn't get any kills, just pulled off an ult to bring 4 people back. So there's clearly something that detects plays of the game that isn't based entirely on eliminations. Or I saw a really serendipitous bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Boing posted:

I've seen some support PotGs. One of them was even a Mercy who didn't get any kills, just pulled off an ult to bring 4 people back. So there's clearly something that detects plays of the game that isn't based entirely on eliminations. Or I saw a really serendipitous bug.

We know that there are a couple of things that are weighted more heavily. Mercy's rez's, objective kills and environment kills seem to be prioritized more than regular eliminations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Interrupting another player's ult is another huge priority for the POTG algorithm.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Kanfy posted:

If repeatedly failing to kill one guy could quality as PotG, I'd be an Overwatch celebrity by now.

It could alternate between PotG and Play of the Shame. I had one game where the enemy Symmetra owned me as McCree in 1-on-1. Twice in a row, in the same spot. I don't usually play McCree but when I do I suck, so I switched to something more comfortable :negative:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sanctum posted:

How does reaper even work? Shotguns can do good damage but only at close range to unarmored targets most of which are squishy already. And how am I supposed to sneak up on anyone with loud "death comes" and stompy boots. How do you accomplish anything with the reaper?
They also do good damage to armored targets, all the damage from one shot counts as one "hit" since it happens all at once, so it only gets reduced by armor once.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Sanctum posted:

How does reaper even work? Shotguns can do good damage but only at close range to unarmored targets most of which are squishy already. And how am I supposed to sneak up on anyone with loud "death comes" and stompy boots. How do you accomplish anything with the reaper?

Don't gently caress off a million miles from your team because pretty much everyone in the game can 1 vs 1 you bro. Your shotguns are powerful but people will just kite you if you're the only one around.

You're there to drop squishies once a fight begins, the fact they'll know you're coming doesn't help them when they got a bunch of poo poo to deal with and can't run from you because it'll just put them in more danger. Get round the side or back with a teleport and drop their healers and squishy DPS with a few blasts, then wraith form back to your team once you're in danger of actually dying. If you have your Ult you can wipe their whole team with a good surprise attack.

Reaper's also really good on Control points, because it's easy to drop in from a weird angle and drop a few people before they even know what the gently caress is going on.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I play Reaper almost like I would play the Spy in TF2: Sneak around behind the enemy lines with teleport and/or wraith form, and then sneak up and stab my loving shotties into everyone's backs and unload. Also I try to wait and use Death Blossom on groups that are otherwise occupied; even if you get the drop on a group with it they might still off you quickly if they have nothing to focus on but you.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Reaper has two things that make him not just a worse Tracer — his shotguns can kill tanks fast and his teleport gives him vertical movement. He still kinda feels like a worse Tracer though.

I think my favorite character might be 76. It feels really lame to like him though.

Hairy Nude
Aug 14, 2006
More gangsta, less angsta.
Roadhog owns. There's something so satisfying about feeling the controller rumble when I slap some guy in the face with my chain and yank him back toward me by the neck right before I blast him in the mouth with my shotgun. Also the fact that I suck at aiming but the hitbox for the chain seems to be larger than a normal shot

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I feel like every day I sit at work and imagine how fun it would be to kick rear end with [character], decide I'm going to go home and just jam [character] for 2 hours straight and really work out the kinks.

Then we get Anubis Defense and Symmetra's hand reaches out through a fog, and it's like, "eh, I'll figure out how to be amazing with [character] later."

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Huxley posted:

I feel like every day I sit at work and imagine how fun it would be to kick rear end with [character], decide I'm going to go home and just jam [character] for 2 hours straight and really work out the kinks.

Then we get Anubis Defense and Symmetra's hand reaches out through a fog, and it's like, "eh, I'll figure out how to be amazing with [character] later."

same but every map and pharah

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I've been working on getting good with Mei and she can pull off some amazing poo poo with her walls. Blocking off Reaper or Tracers who want to retreat is so satisfying, as is hearing "It's high Noon" and just sticking a big gently caress off wall in front of McCree's stupid face. My favourite though is putting up a wall between Mercy and whoever she's healing/buffing leaving them a free kill.

I'm gonna build a wall and I'm gonna make the Red Team pay for it.

I really don't see Mei's use them often enough, it's on such a short cooldown there's really no reason to not constantly be using them to block people in with you, or to just cut half their team off from the other so you can murder their faces off.

Fans fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 9, 2016

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Sanctum posted:

Shotguns do enormous damage to everyone, keep them center mass and you will annihilate anyone

Reaper's ability to 1v1 is largely dependent on geography; if you engaged them in a relatively enclosed area, or surprised them, you will win most of the time, whereas if they can run away from you, you will probably lose

Wall to your advantage whenever possible, which is doable with Reaper chiefly via his Shadowstep, and really you shouldn't even be trying to do 1v1 ~sick plays~ - your job is to flank the front line of your opponents and start shredding them; there's a reason why Reaper has an achievement for getting 3 solo kills in the same clip of ammunition, and that's because it's easy to do so

The main trick with Shadowstep is not to use it to get into a fight, you use it to approach a fight from a different, harder-to-predict angle, since the long period of vulnerability means that if you Step up to where Widow is sniping from, you just guaranteed your own death

Never use Wraith Form unless it's to escape a fight or negate an ult, using it to initiate is a great way to die

Reaper v Tracer isn't as lopsided as you might think depending on where you're fighting, because one shot kills her

McCree is the bane of your existence

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fans posted:

I've been working on getting good with Mei and she can pull off some amazing poo poo with her walls. Blocking off Reaper or Tracers who want to retreat is so satisfying, as is hearing "It's high Noon" and just sticking a big gently caress off wall in front of McCree's stupid face. My favourite though is putting up a wall between Mercy and whoever she's healing/buffing leaving them a free kill.

I really don't see Mei's use them often enough, it's on such a short cooldown there's really no reason to not constantly be using them to block people in with you, or to just cut half their team off from the other so you can murder their faces off.

Mei is really fun because it's great gameplay to get shot, go in the healing ice block, get shot a little again, then put up a wall between yourself and the attacker so you can run away.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Reaper's shotguns also have a surprisingly long range. Roadhog's medium-range shot (m1?) sucks in comparison.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've decided I'm going to get good with Tracer of PS4 if it kills me. I think my biggest two problems right now are playing her maybe a little TOO quickly and not pushing hard enough into the back lines.

I thought I had finally zeroed in on a rhythm last night with a 25-5 game, then dropped into the next game and went 3-10 and did <2k damage.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DrSeRRoD posted:

I didn't think so. If the hook+blast didn't kill the Lucio, the fall surely won't. I like to mash M2 on Lucio if I get hooked so I can knockback and escape if the blast didn't 1-shot me. I like ground hooks because they have to turn and escape vs. just fall out of your damage range of M1. It is probably also easier to combo Hook+M1+Melee in that scenario, but pulling an injured healer or squishy out of the group and killing them from above is pretty great.

I know there's no fall damage. But the act of getting yanked off the ground into the air, then shot, then dropped is disorienting enough to the player that, if the one shot does't kill them, I can easily hit them with a second while they recover. Sometimes the stun is still in effect, too.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Bill NYSE posted:

Reaper's shotguns also have a surprisingly long range. Roadhog's medium-range shot (m1?) sucks in comparison.

roadhog has weird range, he deals extreme damage at 0-1 and 8-9 meters distance but gently caress-all otherwise

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
This game has a very real chance of becoming first-person Hearthstone. Don't want to die to that enemy hero? Well you shouldn't have picked that hero you were using. Now go respawn as that hero's counter, and then when they switch to your new hero's counter, die and respawn as that hero's counter. Doesn't matter whether you have better aim or movement, you have to be using the right hero to have a chance against that one.

You think it's bad now? Wait until they have eventually doubled the hero count. There are only so many weapons and items and abilities that can work in a game like this without creating severe balance issues and just plain unfun mechanics.

Think about it: There are "only" 21 characters now, yet we have a stupidly OP Widow, annoying and slightly OP McCree, Mei freezing people in place and going invulnerable at will, and three characters whose non-ultimate abilities involve auto-aim weapons. If Blizzard released the game with these issues, just wait until the game has 40 heroes. How many variations on hitscan, projectile, exploding, and area-of-effect can there be without having an enormous amount of unfun?

And people keep talking about "area damage" characters being in the works. You think it's bad now to walk around a corner and get one-shot bodyshotted? Imagine walking into a room and dying just because a certain enemy hero is standing in the same room, not even moving or shooting. But it will be "okay" because that hero will have "counters," and you can avoid it by "just killing them" or "just not walking into that room" or "just picking their counter."

What, you wanted to play Rogue? LOL, noob. At least you don't have to grind to unlock cards in this game; you just have to grind past low MMR and then deal with good Widows.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Huxley posted:

I've decided I'm going to get good with Tracer of PS4 if it kills me. I think my biggest two problems right now are playing her maybe a little TOO quickly and not pushing hard enough into the back lines.

I thought I had finally zeroed in on a rhythm last night with a 25-5 game, then dropped into the next game and went 3-10 and did <2k damage.

You should try her on king of the hill, she's a lot of fun there (I had my best game with her on Lijiang Tower going 40-3)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dren posted:

Reaper has two things that make him not just a worse Tracer — his shotguns can kill tanks fast and his teleport gives him vertical movement. He still kinda feels like a worse Tracer though.

I think my favorite character might be 76. It feels really lame to like him though.

In a way, Reaper is a worse Tracer. Both are flankers that hit and run around the edges. Tracer is more about flitting around the edge of a fight, being an annoying gnat you can't hit because she keeps zipping around. Reaper is more like a sledgehammer who appears, kills one or two people, then retreats.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

They also do good damage to armored targets, all the damage from one shot counts as one "hit" since it happens all at once, so it only gets reduced by armor once.

Someone posted a video in the try hard thread that shows this isn't true, at least it's not how it's working currently. If every pellet hits health, reaper does 140 damage. Currently, against armor that hit is doing 70 damage, even though the wiki says the blast should count as one shot.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Alkydere posted:

In a way, Reaper is a worse Tracer. Both are flankers that hit and run around the edges. Tracer is more about flitting around the edge of a fight, being an annoying gnat you can't hit because she keeps zipping around. Reaper is more like a sledgehammer who appears, kills one or two people, then retreats.

Reaper can function as a quasi-frontline fighter where Tracer kinda cannot, and he can absorb more punishment than any other Offense hero but especially more than Tracer; sans ults, Reaper is arguably more likely to guarantee at least one kill than Tracer is, but is also far more likely to die in the exchange

Gameplay wise he strikes me as a cross between Genji and Tracer in terms of how he is played - he wants to engage multiple squishies or low-HP heroes to sustain his ability to fight, and ult from an angle that isn't obvious; he's harder to kill if you hit him, but he's much easier to hit

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Verranicus posted:

This game has a very real chance of becoming first-person Hearthstone. Don't want to die to that enemy hero? Well you shouldn't have picked that hero you were using. Now go respawn as that hero's counter, and then when they switch to your new hero's counter, die and respawn as that hero's counter. Doesn't matter whether you have better aim or movement, you have to be using the right hero to have a chance against that one.

You think it's bad now? Wait until they have eventually doubled the hero count. There are only so many weapons and items and abilities that can work in a game like this without creating severe balance issues and just plain unfun mechanics.

Think about it: There are "only" 21 characters now, yet we have a stupidly OP Widow, annoying and slightly OP McCree, Mei freezing people in place and going invulnerable at will, and three characters whose non-ultimate abilities involve auto-aim weapons. If Blizzard released the game with these issues, just wait until the game has 40 heroes. How many variations on hitscan, projectile, exploding, and area-of-effect can there be without having an enormous amount of unfun?

And people keep talking about "area damage" characters being in the works. You think it's bad now to walk around a corner and get one-shot bodyshotted? Imagine walking into a room and dying just because a certain enemy hero is standing in the same room, not even moving or shooting. But it will be "okay" because that hero will have "counters," and you can avoid it by "just killing them" or "just not walking into that room" or "just picking their counter."

What, you wanted to play Rogue? LOL, noob. At least you don't have to grind to unlock cards in this game; you just have to grind past low MMR and then deal with good Widows.

i like the bit where he understands widow and mccree are op from hearing people better than him, but in his poo poo bracket he truly believe mei is op too

honestly blizzard did a pretty good job with most heroes soft countering each other, with the exception of current widow and mccree, very few things are completely lopsided matches where you have no room to play around people. like yeah widow dumps on pharah -but- if pharah can approach from ground or flank, she's really hard to deal with once she's up in widow's poo poo and her rockets are bumping her around.

Minera fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 9, 2016

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Last night my 6-stack had a sort of gentleman's agreement with the enemy team that we would do nothing but gimmick teams. Both teams were allowed one exception to the "all the same hero" rule. It became a bizarre back and forth of rock-paper-scissors that had everyone in chat laughing and having fun.

Highlights included:

-Five Winstons and a Widow vs a normal team comp (before the agreement) is actually pretty hard to deal with over time. Attrition is a thing if they all jump on the Mercy first. Countered it with a damage boosted Bastion.
-Six Roadhogs vs six Lucios is fun as hell. Roadhogs won by having to scrape all the Lucios off the walls of the KOTH map. It was like playing Alien vs Predator, but the aliens had the dreds this time.
-Six Roadhogs are countered by six Pharahs. No contest.
-Six Pharahs have no loving chance against six Genjis. Holy poo poo this was a slaughter
-Six Meis should be a counter to six Genjis on paper, and maybe it works like that 1v1. However, six ninjas is pretty much instant death for anything on the map if the ninjas are calling out targets on voice chat.
-Six Soldier76 vs six Bastions. Bastions lost handily, but we were like an army of Terminators. Felt cool even while losing.

Highlight of the night was when they went six Symmetras. Play of the game was Reinhardt bashing them all to death at once after crawling through five different car washes.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
What are, in your opinions (thread question), some of the better Tracer tactics?

Personally I like to use my first life to get as deep into the enemy line as I can and call back their defensive setup (or early front runners in the case of a KOTH match) back to my team. If I can take one out, I will, or I'll harass them and get their attention until I either die or blink/rewind out of their LOS.

Then I'll spend the rest of the match harassing and going after defensive setups, focusing on Toblerone and Bastion if they're around (though bastion is tricky due to Tracer's knack for melting under any enemy attention). I've had a lot of fun with her just getting in behind defense walls and dropping a pulse bomb before blinking out.

When Tracer begins to fail me or they've completely mastered countering me alone I switch over to Pharah and have s'more fun.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Figure out who on the other team is the biggest pain in the rear end for your team based on team comp or player skill, and go make that person's life hell.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Did the updates they pushed change the POTG algo? I got one the second round I ever played and then none until yesterday, when I got three in a row as Mercy, Zarya, Mercy

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Fans posted:

this is a good quote

http://imgur.com/gallery/JOsn4

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Efexeye posted:

Did the updates they pushed change the POTG algo? I got one the second round I ever played and then none until yesterday, when I got three in a row as Mercy, Zarya, Mercy

Pretty sure yeah.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Since they're not releasing patch notes I don't think anyone has any clue what they're doing with them exactly but people are guessing it's mainly just a bit of tuning and bug fixing, no actual changes like POTG algorithms.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Minrad posted:

i like the bit where he understands widow and mccree are op from hearing people better than him, but in his poo poo bracket he truly believe mei is op too

honestly blizzard did a pretty good job with most heroes soft countering each other, with the exception of current widow and mccree, very few things are completely lopsided matches where you have no room to play around people. like yeah widow dumps on pharah -but- if pharah can approach from ground or flank, she's really hard to deal with once she's up in widow's poo poo and her rockets are bumping her around.

Oh good lord. I saw this post and almost had an ulcer. Luckily, I realized that I'm not required by law to reply to it and I felt better. That poster will be in the hurt-locker of low MMR for life. The mature side of me is convinced its either a troll post or a child.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Verranicus posted:

Nothing to add, just quoting for posterity

Actually, one thing: You are loving horrendous at this game.

Sade fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 9, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Higsian posted:

You could put little footprint directional icons on the edges of the screen. They'd still be easy to miss in the heat of battle.

Yeah, this is really no different than damage indicators and no one complains about these even though you can hear where you're being shot at from.

I dunno what people are worried about, are people envisioning actual footsteps being drawn on screen exactly where the enemy character is walking, or something? I've seen a couple (single-player) games do that and it was a neat effect. I don't think that's necessary for Overwatch and I don't think Blizzard will implement anything close to that.

As a fully deaf player all I want is some indication that High Noon or similar ultimates are active and some indication that there's an enemy walking nearby. Too many times I've blindly (deafly) walked out of cover and got instantly killed by one of these two and it's always extremely rolleyes when it happens.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Do you guys really have such issues with widow? Or is this the same complaint about snipers in every fps ever

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Luchadork posted:

I play Reaper almost like I would play the Spy in TF2: Sneak around behind the enemy lines with teleport and/or wraith form, and then sneak up and stab my loving shotties into everyone's backs and unload. Also I try to wait and use Death Blossom on groups that are otherwise occupied; even if you get the drop on a group with it they might still off you quickly if they have nothing to focus on but you.

I'm actually surprised that Overwatch has no Spy analogue, since it seems to hit every other note that TF2 does in terms of class roles, tactics and playstyles. In fact a lot of Overwatch heroes feel like TF2 classes with extra fun poo poo bolted on, which is totally fine by me, but the Spy was my favourite TF2 class and I want to run around in a disguise backstabbing people again.

Why is it that way? Did Blizzard decide that invisibility and disguises weren't fun to play against? Mei and McCree and Widowmaker and Bastion exist, so the 'no fun' argument clearly doesn't hold water. Would it ruin the game in some other way?

e: I mean I guess Reaper does something similar and his playstyle is roughly comparable (sneak past enemy defenses using your invisibility teleport and then get away using your disguise wraith form) but it's not the same

Boing fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 9, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

guts and bolts posted:

Reaper can function as a quasi-frontline fighter where Tracer kinda cannot, and he can absorb more punishment than any other Offense hero but especially more than Tracer; sans ults, Reaper is arguably more likely to guarantee at least one kill than Tracer is, but is also far more likely to die in the exchange

Gameplay wise he strikes me as a cross between Genji and Tracer in terms of how he is played - he wants to engage multiple squishies or low-HP heroes to sustain his ability to fight, and ult from an angle that isn't obvious; he's harder to kill if you hit him, but he's much easier to hit

Basically what I was trying to say. Reaper is a "bad Tracer" because Tracer's teleport are about zipping about, making it hard for the enemy team to shoot you.

Tracer is a "bad Reaper" because Reaper can take a few hits, trade damage with his shotguns, kills will heal him, and his teleport is more about map mobility because they make you a sitting duck for a second.

Boing posted:

I'm actually surprised that Overwatch has no Spy analogue, since it seems to hit every other note that TF2 does in terms of class roles, tactics and playstyles. In fact a lot of Overwatch heroes feel like TF2 classes with extra fun poo poo bolted on, which is totally fine by me, but the Spy was my favourite TF2 class and I want to run around in a disguise backstabbing people again.

Why is it that way? Did Blizzard decide that invisibility and disguises weren't fun to play against? Mei and McCree and Widowmaker and Bastion exist, so the 'no fun' argument clearly doesn't hold water. Would it ruin the game in some other way?

I could see the disguises causing all sorts of problems due to the full-body costumes. Even now in TF2 a Red Pyro or Medic or whatever is visibly on the Red Team no matter how dressed up they are. In Overwatch though, is that Frog-Lucio yours our ours? What about that Garden-bastion, Facepaint-Soldier or Gangster-McCree?

That being said, there should totally be an invisi-dude flanker to fill in for a Spy analogue. A dude with a mobility ability, a cloak, and some sort of weapon that's visually hilariously unwieldy.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 9, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sade posted:

Nothing to add, just quoting for posterity

Actually, one thing: You are loving horrendous at this game.

It's an emptyquote.

Zzulu posted:

Do you guys really have such issues with widow? Or is this the same complaint about snipers in every fps ever

People at both levels of play are complaining about her, she's definitely not in a very good spot right now.

Boing posted:

They tried invisibility and it was a headache for everyone involved, and lol @ complaining that fighting against Mei and Bastion isn't fun.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Regardless of how many heroes they add or what their wacky mechanics are, there will only ever be 6v6, so that's sort of a hard limit on how much wackiness can be packed into one match. Yeah if it was 32v32 it would be insanity with Meis and Widows and McCrees and Pharahs, you wouldn't be able to do poo poo. But if there are 50 heroes, that will just make the choice of which 6 to use more interesting, not make the game crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Why is Mei considered to be terrible at higher level play, and what could be done to fix that? Is it mostly that she can't do much against the handful of twitchy hitscan heroes?