Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Lol that's brilliant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I sort of hope this is limited to 29 arbitrarily. After all, 30 is just an excessive number. Twenty-nine, now that's fine, but thirty... does it look like Doom Guy's arms can reach that high?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I just stumbled across this surprisingly informative game theorists video.
No game theories, just a fairly decent explanation of how the Wolf3d and Doom engines work.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
While I obviously understand what's meant by it, part of me always finds the "DOOM WASN'T 3D!!" to be a bit :spergin: . A Doom map (or at least the virtual spaces defined by it) has extent in the X, Y and Z directions, so by at least one sense it's legitimately three-dimensional.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Yeah. The insistence on the "NOT 3D" thing was a bit much. Though if you really want to get technical about it, Doom is 2.5D, since it uses the various tricks described in the video to make a 2D playing area simulate a 3D environment. Of course source-ports and modern mods throw a bunch of that right out the window, though some crazy engine fudgery is still necessary. (I just looked up a tutorial on 3d floors for UDMF, and that stuff just blows my mind.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LogicalFallacy posted:

Yeah. The insistence on the "NOT 3D" thing was a bit much. Though if you really want to get technical about it, Doom is 2.5D, since it uses the various tricks described in the video to make a 2D playing area simulate a 3D environment. Of course source-ports and modern mods throw a bunch of that right out the window, though some crazy engine fudgery is still necessary. (I just looked up a tutorial on 3d floors for UDMF, and that stuff just blows my mind.)
3D floors aren't too difficult. It's just making a sector outside of the playable space who's height and texturing defines what it'll look like, with a action on one of the walls defining some flags and what sector ID it should appear on.

3D slopes however are witchcraft. I'm still not sure how one of my friends made that loving bridge map for Reelism...

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

The Kins posted:

3D slopes however are witchcraft. I'm still not sure how one of my friends made that loving bridge map for Reelism...

3D slopes are one of those things that makes perfect sense if you understand how slopes and 3D floors (independently) work internally, although granted that's probably a give-in.

I'm not sure if I could explain it successfully in one simple catch-all post, but the idea is; 3D floors are an extra generated plane in a sector, for every individual sector that's tagged to the control. Slopes on the other hand are a set of four angular coordinates indicating the overall angular vector (vector maybe the wrong term but whatever). Part of this, if I understand the math correctly, is actually a distance vector, so if you were to "move the sector" (as a hypothetical example), the slope wouldn't stay seemingly in the same place but rather seem to raise or lower as if you actually had a bigger slope but could only see a sector sized cutout at any one place.

And that's actually how 3D slopes work as a construct. The slope doesn't copy itself to the extra planes, it's actually the exact same slope, just much further away from the control. Hence why if you don't line it up the slope itself appears misplaced, and why placing the same 3D slope control on multiple sectors line up as one complete 3D slope; you're actually just seeing the same slope vector represented at a more distant point.

Another way to look at it is comparing how slopes work in the "void"; even after you've passed the logic part of the slope, it just keeps continuing into you cross into another BSP divide (or bounds of another sector). A 3D slope is the same way, starting from the control as normal and the bounds (each tagged sector) are actually defined.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 8, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rocket Pan posted:

I'm not sure if I could explain it successfully in one simple catch-all post, but the idea is; 3D floors are an extra generated plane in a sector, for every individual sector that's tagged to the control. Slopes on the other hand are a set of four angular coordinates indicating the overall angular vector (vector maybe the wrong term but whatever). Part of this, if I understand the math correctly, is actually a distance vector, so if you were to "move the sector" (as a hypothetical example), the slope wouldn't stay seemingly in the same place but rather seem to raise or lower as if you actually had a bigger slope but could only see a sector sized cutout at any one place.

The whole thing is a vector- the 4 numbers are the coefficients of the plane equation ax + by + cz + d = 0. a, b, and c form a 3D vector indicating which direction the plane's surface is facing (the normal), and in a properly formed plane equation the normal is always 1 unit long. d represents the distance of the plane from the origin along that normal vector.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So, wizards then. Gotcha.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Ho, thread! GOG is giving away System Shock 2 for free for the next 44 hours. Their only requirement is that it must be claimed through their client.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Alright now. One down, three more to go

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Does anyone know how to reach the Yellow Key in map 28 of Ancient Aliens? I keep falling into the death pit while trying to reach it.

LogicalFallacy posted:

Ho, thread! GOG is giving away System Shock 2 for free for the next 44 hours. Their only requirement is that it must be claimed through their client.

This is really cool, but I can't imagine there are many people left want to play SS2 but haven't bought it already.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Samuel Clemens posted:

Does anyone know how to reach the Yellow Key in map 28 of Ancient Aliens? I keep falling into the death pit while trying to reach it.

You just have to keep skipping accross the "floating" platforms. Strafe running might be needed for the last one. It took me a few tries but I managed to get it eventually.

Honestly my biggest issue getting the yellow key was lowering the Supercharge platform to get there. I actually had to open the map in GDZ Builder to figure out that it's, for some reason, done by crossing a linedef that runs north-south in the large pond :psyduck:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

My problem is that I can't figure out how to get from the lower, orange platforms to the green, upper ones. Is there a switch I have to press to get them moving?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mogomra posted:

That was my first thought. Perhaps we'll never know!

E: I believe you. That's a weird rear end bug I guess
vvv

I got a similarly strange bug in Dark Messiah where, inexplicably, one of the main NPCs did the limbo instead of her normal walk animation. A very impressive limbo at that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Samuel Clemens posted:

My problem is that I can't figure out how to get from the lower, orange platforms to the green, upper ones. Is there a switch I have to press to get them moving?

The orange ones are supposed to be moving up and down, yeah. I'm not sure what triggers it. The large nearby platform (the one with with the Supercharge and energy cells) seems to have a linedef with a network of tags connected to them. Wander around that platform until something happens because that map is pretty bad for random triplines as I said earlier.

Otherwise kill the enemies that were standing on it and see what happens.

EDIT: I just tested it. The orange platforms should start to move once you step onto the aforementioned large platform from the catwalk. I see you're already standing on the platform in the screenshot so if that isn't working for you then you might have to restart the map!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 9, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There was a newer revision of Ancient Aliens at some point a few weeks ago, because the original release had buggy results on some engines. Try downloading that if you have the original release.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The orange platforms did initially start moving, but then stopped after a few seconds. I figured it was some kind of bug, so I ultimately ended up using noclip for that part. Thanks all the same though.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Man, I gotta say, I am pretty much completely over the checkpoints-only-no-quicksaves model of modern shooting. It was mostly fine in DOOM because the game was just about exchanging gunfire with demons and didn't try to cheapshot you or make you do fiddly stealth poo poo, but both of the latest Wolfensteins so far have managed to piss me off with some asinine checkpoint placements.

What's the claimed reason for it? The game engine will wet its diaper if they try to make it save at an arbitrary point in the map?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

JerryLee posted:

Man, I gotta say, I am pretty much completely over the checkpoints-only-no-quicksaves model of modern shooting. It was mostly fine in DOOM because the game was just about exchanging gunfire with demons and didn't try to cheapshot you or make you do fiddly stealth poo poo, but both of the latest Wolfensteins so far have managed to piss me off with some asinine checkpoint placements.

What's the claimed reason for it? The game engine will wet its diaper if they try to make it save at an arbitrary point in the map?

Educated guess; no serializer that can handle the complex animation data (among other nuances). WolfTNO had the same problem with destructible map geometry, as it was either too complex or too big to store. The issue with that is if you don't serialize everything, you can actually trap the player with an imperfect snapshot (which ironically was an issue in the original Doom).

Edit: Whoops, I thought you were actually talking about DO4M, not TNO. Long day and posting don't mix. Answer still applies, though.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 9, 2016

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rocket Pan posted:

Educated guess; no serializer that can handle the complex animation data (among other nuances). WolfTNO had the same problem with destructible map geometry, as it was either too complex or too big to store. The issue with that is if you don't serialize everything, you can actually trap the player with an imperfect snapshot (which ironically was an issue in the original Doom).

Huh, I wonder if this is basically the same thing as when a save file goes tits up in a game like Fallout 4 or Skyrim. So much data to store, eventually the "snapshots" accrue imperfect data that contributes to instability in a save file.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Rocket Pan posted:

This is genuinely interesting, thanks! I knew I was probably being at least a little unfair to the programmers' position, but I'll stick firmly to the position that if arbitrary saving is a technical impossibility, it's at least on them to design the rest of the game so that checkpoints are never a source of frustration.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Huh, I wonder if this is basically the same thing as when a save file goes tits up in a game like Fallout 4 or Skyrim. So much data to store, eventually the "snapshots" accrue imperfect data that contributes to instability in a save file.

I think the main thing that messes up save files in Bethesda games is overwriting the same file numerous times. In Morrowind, saving outside could mess things up as well.

Then there was the infamous Reference Bug in Oblivion introduced by Shivering Isles when it was first released.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5f0lt2HiVM

My DUMP map is pretty much finished! If you don't want to wait for DUMP 3 to be done you can download it here (there are secrets to find that I didn't show off in the video!). It was a lot of fun to make and a good way to occupy my spare time while I'm sick. Experimenting with more organically shaped areas that are still "indoors" was definitely interesting and I'm pretty excited to incorporate what I learned into my own mapping projects. The timelapse video is going to take a while to do commentary on because I'm still sick but it'll come eventually. My official submission for the map is in the ZDoom forums thread.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 9, 2016

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I love New Order, but there's a huge difficulty spike about 2/3s of the way through. The game introduces those big heavy motherfuckers, and they demand a ludicrous amount of bullets/explosions. In particular there's the mission on the fallen bridge that is drat near broken when I played it. had to crank the difficulty down.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If anyone is interested in a System Shock 2 key from GOG.com: *D72A-482A4-D4885-2C6F*

Change the * for 3

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I love New Order, but there's a huge difficulty spike about 2/3s of the way through. The game introduces those big heavy motherfuckers, and they demand a ludicrous amount of bullets/explosions. In particular there's the mission on the fallen bridge that is drat near broken when I played it. had to crank the difficulty down.

TNO is better if you don't try and save ammo, if I remember correctly you can't even bring ammo between levels. The bridge level gives you a fuckton of rockets, and it's not so terrible if you just use the rockets all the time.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
All the playing with the doom engine in this thread gave me the idea to spend two hours making something in UT99 for my horribly disengaged Korean ESL students.

The idea is the player is blindfolded and their friends have to guide them to the end by saying turn left/right, go straight and stop. The movers in the middle of the platforms are spiky crushers. If this doesn't get them interested in ~learning~ then I don't know what to do.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

joedevola posted:

If this doesn't get them interested in ~learning~ then I don't know what to do.

Recreate Oldboy as a Quake machinima?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gah, these turrets in Quake II Ground Zero singlehandedly ruin the drat game.

Someone please tell me there's a way to mod them out. I'm sick of quicksaving before every corner lest I eat a rocket to the face without warning.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

joedevola posted:

All the playing with the doom engine in this thread gave me the idea to spend two hours making something in UT99 for my horribly disengaged Korean ESL students.

The idea is the player is blindfolded and their friends have to guide them to the end by saying turn left/right, go straight and stop. The movers in the middle of the platforms are spiky crushers. If this doesn't get them interested in ~learning~ then I don't know what to do.

This is awesome. :allears:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

Recreate Oldboy as a Quake machinima?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:eyepop: holy poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

*nodding furiously* UHUH UHUH

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Two days ago a new 3D shooter was released for... ZX Spectrum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHHOqKYB1Cs

I had to double check that this isn't meant to be for the 128K version of the machine. Absolutely incredible. The download and more info is on the official website: http://www.olegorigin.org/the_dark.html Now if someone would go and finish MOOD for C64...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqJIlJ73kbQ

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Alright. I can not get Thing_Spawn or any of its variants to work for me. I'm trying to get some monsters to spawn in at specific coordinates when a button is pressed, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong that it isn't working. Any pointers?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

laserghost posted:

Two days ago a new 3D shooter was released for... ZX Spectrum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHHOqKYB1Cs

I had to double check that this isn't meant to be for the 128K version of the machine. Absolutely incredible. The download and more info is on the official website: http://www.olegorigin.org/the_dark.html Now if someone would go and finish MOOD for C64...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqJIlJ73kbQ

That's pretty rad. Reminds me of the Catacomb series if anything, but that's still amazing for the Spectrum.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LogicalFallacy posted:

Alright. I can not get Thing_Spawn or any of its variants to work for me. I'm trying to get some monsters to spawn in at specific coordinates when a button is pressed, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong that it isn't working. Any pointers?
Easier way to do it for what I'm presuming you want to do is placing MapSpots in the level where you want the monsters to appear, give them TIDs and use SpawnSpotFacing.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Alternatively, do it the old-fashioned way: a separate sector outside of the map where the monsters reside, joined with one of the sectors around the switch where you know the player is going to get into a firefight, and the switch removes a barrier preventing the monsters from walking over a teleporter (the barrier corresponding to whatever it is inside the level the switch was already manipulating, whether it's a door or a floor).

Bonus points for not raising the monster count from what it's reported to be at the start of the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:dogbutton: