Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

LCL-Dead posted:

What are, in your opinions (thread question), some of the better Tracer tactics?

Personally I like to use my first life to get as deep into the enemy line as I can and call back their defensive setup (or early front runners in the case of a KOTH match) back to my team. If I can take one out, I will, or I'll harass them and get their attention until I either die or blink/rewind out of their LOS.

Then I'll spend the rest of the match harassing and going after defensive setups, focusing on Toblerone and Bastion if they're around (though bastion is tricky due to Tracer's knack for melting under any enemy attention). I've had a lot of fun with her just getting in behind defense walls and dropping a pulse bomb before blinking out.

When Tracer begins to fail me or they've completely mastered countering me alone I switch over to Pharah and have s'more fun.

I just try to ruin their coordination by hanging out behind them and poking at them when they try to push. Invariably, 2 people will turn around to try and kill me pushing the odds on the point/whatever in our favor. If there's a Widow problem, or their support is doing their job, I prioritize hunting them down and ruining their time. It's been effective thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

MY ABACUS! posted:

Why is Mei considered to be terrible at higher level play, and what could be done to fix that? Is it mostly that she can't do much against the handful of twitchy hitscan heroes?

She has zero mobility or escape abilities and she doesn't do neither enough damage nor have enough control to make up for it, she's a weird half-measure between the two.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
my main strategy as tracer is to try and kill the entire enemy team, starting with their healer. If they are super good, and refuse to let me murder them, I will stay back and plink away at their fat targets like a roadhog to build my ult. Tracer builds ult really fast if you can keep shooting people

then i try to bomb their healer. Once the healer is dead they usually fall apart and are easy pickings for ambushes

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

MY ABACUS! posted:

Why is Mei considered to be terrible at higher level play, and what could be done to fix that? Is it mostly that she can't do much against the handful of twitchy hitscan heroes?

She doesn't do that much damage on her own, her walls aren't really a problem for good players, and Zarya's ult does basically the same thing except better.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

MY ABACUS! posted:

Mei has great utility, but little mobility. Her gun is very short range, and if you want to argue about her M2, there are many other characters than can pop headshots off at a distance. Her ult is okay for a small area of denial, but not nearly as useful as many of the ults out there.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
All the pros play mcree and mcree just oneshots mei

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Zzulu posted:

All the pros play mcree and mcree just oneshots mei

Most characters oneshot mei.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Think I am finally getting the hang of Winston. Is it the right idea to jump over the enemy, put up a wall and zap them, and then jump out as my HP is about halfway down? Doing this I got 15 'kill streak' on the Hollywood map. Man it feels good just constantly ruining Reinharlt by going into rage mode and just punching him across the map. Just wish Rage did more damage, as I rarely kill anyone using it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Rirse posted:

Think I am finally getting the hang of Winston. Is it the right idea to jump over the enemy, put up a wall and zap them, and then jump out as my HP is about halfway down? Doing this I got 15 'kill streak' on the Hollywood map. Man it feels good just constantly ruining Reinharlt by going into rage mode and just punching him across the map. Just wish Rage did more damage, as I rarely kill anyone using it.

Yes, your job is 100% to be a horrible oval office.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Lady Naga posted:

Most characters oneshot mei.

No they don't. She has 250 HP.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Going full chaos ape mode is great for killing people on certain maps. Like that greek map or the nepal map. You go ape and just toss the entire enemy team into the abyss

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Rirse posted:

But there are few better ways of clearing a specific area for a few seconds or getting loving everyone's attention than Rage. I need to play more Winston. He sounds awesome. I'm usually stuck playing healer because nobody else will and I'd like to, y'know, win. I think Blizzard's job #1 as far as adding new characters is a healer who is more fun or interesting to play for everybody, and not just crazy people like me who liked being MMO healers. Nobody should ever have to say, "Well I HAD to pick one of these two characters I don't even enjoy unless I wanted to lose."

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 9, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Brosnan posted:

No they don't. She has 250 HP.

Literally no, functionally yes.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Alkydere posted:

Basically what I was trying to say. Reaper is a "bad Tracer" because Tracer's teleport are about zipping about, making it hard for the enemy team to shoot you.

Tracer is a "bad Reaper" because Reaper can take a few hits, trade damage with his shotguns, kills will heal him, and his teleport is more about map mobility because they make you a sitting duck for a second.

I could see the disguises causing all sorts of problems due to the full-body costumes. Even now in TF2 a Red Pyro or Medic or whatever is visibly on the Red Team no matter how dressed up they are. In Overwatch though, is that Frog-Lucio yours our ours? What about that Garden-bastion, Facepaint-Soldier or Gangster-McCree?

That being said, there should totally be an invisi-dude flanker to fill in for a Spy analogue. A dude with a mobility ability, a cloak, and some sort of weapon that's visually hilariously unwieldy.

To me, Reaper is more of an all purpose hero than tracer, but tracer is a much better flanker. Reaper is good at flanking yes, but he needs to be around the objective to really shine. He is more versatile in terms of the actual role he plays, since as the round develops, he can switch from harassing snipers to holding a point.

He is very good at KOTH maps for this reason. Between souls healing you, wraithform stopping damage, and heals from supports, he can tank a surprising amount of damage and can survive for a while. He can also hide behind reinhardt's shield during a push and kill anything that gets close. You can switch roles without switching characters and preserve your ult, but obviously not changing to counter a pharah or genji or whatever is not worth that.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Lokee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vxApJd6K7g
2:30 goon game with hilarious comp. :getin: discord.

Wonder when you were going to post that. That was so great.

It shouldn't have worked, but it did.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

MY ABACUS! posted:

you know how people keep asking for fan the hammer to get removed

now imagine mccree without flashbang and a projectile instead of a hitscan weapon

you've got mei

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

#11 Symmetra by score per min right now. :getin:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Played all day yesterday, largely with goons, games continue to be good and fun with more wins than losses. Cheers!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

Literally no, functionally yes.

She has 250 HP and a literally instant invincibility button that restores 60% of her max HP. Getting killed is the least of her problems.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Vermain posted:

She has 250 HP and a literally instant invincibility button. Getting killed is the least of her problems.

She has zero escape and can't out DPS anyone trying to kill her and also 250 HP isn't much if she gets domed twice.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Do you guys really have such issues with widow? Or is this the same complaint about snipers in every fps ever

The problem with Widow right now is that nothing counters her as hard as she counters other characters. A sniper's achilles heel is supposed to be close-range combat, but she has enough tools and health to survive if an enemy player closes the gap.

So on one hand, she can destroy Zenyatta at a glance for the grave error of existing on the same map as her, but if she fucks up badly enough to let a Roadhog chain-hook her, she can still wriggle out of it. It doesn't really add up.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Vermain posted:

She has 250 HP and a literally instant invincibility button that restores 60% of her max HP. Getting killed is the least of her problems.

If you voice any type of negative complaint about any interactions between the characters, people will immediately inform you that you are bad, terrible, and simply are not using easy counters.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

The problem with Widow right now is that nothing counters her as hard as she counters other characters. A sniper's achilles heel is supposed to be close-range combat, but she has enough tools and health to survive if an enemy player closes the gap.

So on one hand, she can destroy Zenyatta at a glance for the grave error of existing on the same map as her, but if she fucks up badly enough to let a Roadhog chain-hook her, she can still wriggle out of it. It doesn't really add up.

The fact that Widowmaker is a capable close range combatant is honestly ancillary to the much bigger problem, which is that a competent Widowmaker can decimate entire teams in seconds without the use of an ultimate. She replaces Bastion as the Pubstomper Supreme once you start facing competent Widowmakers, and she vastly outstrips him in both killing potential and survivability (given that she's a constantly moving target with a rail-thin hitbox).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rirse posted:

That is exactly how you play Winston. He's basically Heavy Tracer. You jump in, harass the gently caress out of people, and if you get a few kills then it's all cool. Either way you jump out, grab a health pack/sit in the point/find your support to heal you, then jump back in and repeat.

Basically Winston exists to troll the poo poo out of the other team by being an unkillable harasser. His ult reinforces that as it's great for pushing people around as a nigh-invincible Monkey bulldozer, but it's actually horrible for killing enemies unless there's convenient pits. His ult is for pushing people back and knocking them off the point.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Then you run into a reaper and die in 2 seconds.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

If you voice any type of negative complaint about any interactions between the characters, people will immediately inform you that you are bad, terrible, and simply are not using easy counters.

This is the wrong character to voice this complaint about.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

This is the wrong character to voice this complaint about.

She is not always getting one shot, at all, in general play. In fact, her surviviability is one of her chief strengths and allows her to be the absolute pest that she is.

And stating "oh just headshot her" is not a good answer, since many people are not so good at the game that they instantly land headshots all the time, or are using characters where that does not come easily.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Whenever I'm losing I pick Mcree and win. I hope they don't nerf him too much. I love being everyone's huckleberry.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

She is not always getting one shot, at all, in general play. In fact, her surviviability is one of her chief strengths and allows her to be the absolute pest that she is.

And stating "oh just headshot her" is not a good answer, since many people are not so good at the game that they instantly land headshots all the time, or are using characters where that does not come easily.

I've literally never had problems killing a Mei as basically any DPS character, especially considering her only sustain requires her to remain immobile while I just wait around to cap her again.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It'd be kinda funny if you could get the ultimate call outs as legendary voice lines to try to trick the enemies into thinking it's high noon or that you have wall hacks

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

I've literally never had problems killing a Mei as basically any DPS character, especially considering her only sustain requires her to remain immobile while I just wait around to cap her again.

A - bullshit
or
B - grats you are in the top level of players, and this is like some college basketball player going to a local court and draining 3's saying "i do not get why people say this is hard, it was always easy for me"

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Imagined posted:

But there are few better ways of clearing a specific area for a few seconds or getting loving everyone's attention than Rage. I need to play more Winston. He sounds awesome. I'm usually stuck playing healer because nobody else will and I'd like to, y'know, win. I think Blizzard's job #1 as far as adding new characters is a healer who is more fun or interesting to play for everybody, and not just crazy people like me who liked being MMO healers. Nobody should ever have to say, "Well I HAD to pick one of these two characters I don't even enjoy unless I wanted to lose."

if you're solo queuing and you want to play something else just do it

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A - bullshit
or
B - grats you are in the top level of players, and this is like some college basketball player going to a local court and draining 3's saying "i do not get why people say this is hard, it was always easy for me"

I mean;

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Every single person in this thread is bad at the game Overwatch, everyone. Acceptance of one's unworthiness before God is the only path toward enlightenment.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The only times I've ever died to Mei is if I'm isolated from my team and she can freezegun me and then shoot me in the face, otherwise she just crumples like ricepaper.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Vermain posted:

The fact that Widowmaker is a capable close range combatant is honestly ancillary to the much bigger problem, which is that a competent Widowmaker can decimate entire teams in seconds without the use of an ultimate. She replaces Bastion as the Pubstomper Supreme once you start facing competent Widowmakers, and she vastly outstrips him in both killing potential and survivability (given that she's a constantly moving target with a rail-thin hitbox).

one of the other issues with a good widow is that she can shut down a lot of the rock/paper/scissors on the front line. if the other team has a good torb and you pick one of the better characters to break that, your job becomes nearly impossible when the widow prevents you from getting good angles or taking to the sky. part of the fun of the countering comps thing to me is knowing when to just deal - i'll play as pharah even when the other team has a good soldier if we really need the anti-torb or doots or whatever and welcome the soft counter as a challenge. a good widow preventing me from ever hitting shift is a totally different beast

im just glad i dont want to play zenyatta

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Additionally, everyone except the tanks dies to two headshots.

Like about 2/3 of the cast, she doesn't get played much at competitive level because there's no spot for her in the 2xTank/2xDPS/2xSupport team comp since she's not Winston, McCree, Widow, Mercy, or Lucio.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Papercut posted:

Additionally, everyone except the tanks dies to two headshots.

Like about 2/3 of the cast, she doesn't get played much at competitive level because there's no spot for her in the 2xTank/2xDPS/2xSupport team comp since she's not Winston, McCree, Widow, Mercy, or Lucio.

She doesn't get played a lot because the only thing she's good at dealing with is isolated targets because unlike actual flankers she doesn't have an "oh poo poo" button to escape unfavourable situations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Thread moves fast so I don't know if everyone here has already seen something similar but I have finally perfected the D.Va Bunny Buzz Bomb technique after many seconds of trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

MY ABACUS! posted:

It's less she's terrible and more that McCree in his current state makes playing her pointless as she's way too vulnerable to him. Reaper also isn't played much in Pro Play because again, McCree absolutely destroys them.

Why bring a Mei or Reaper when you could bring another McCree?

Fans fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 9, 2016