Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Bravo posted:

Maybe they're trying to haphazardly stitch together plot points from the movies and the comics? Next issue has Rhodey paralyzed and learning to walk again with mechnical assistance?

Nah dog, he dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

muscles like this? posted:

Nah dog, he dead.

So we'll see him again in about six months? :v:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Wasn't Rhodey a cyborg for a while?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Avulsion posted:

I could make a joke about Bendis not caring about continuity, but no one really read or remembers the series where he was so much machine that being punched that hard in the gut would just be a mild inconvenience.

It was an attempt at making him keep up with Tony's Extremis and other related upgrades, but the comic itself just wasn't very interesting.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Avulsion posted:

Pretty sure they just put his mind inside a clone body at the end of that run. Then again, all I really remember from that series was the awesome thing where Ares kept insisting Rhodey was his champion.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

Pretty sure they just put his mind inside a clone body at the end of that run. Then again, all I really remember from that series was the awesome thing where Ares kept insisting Rhodey was his champion.

This does seem vaguely familiar, but I also only vaguely remember reading that and it was during my pirating days, so I read every piece of garbage available.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Gavok posted:

This sounded amazing so i tried googling around for it. This is all I could really find on it.

edit: this book actually sounds really great. https://graphicnovelty.wordpress.com/2009/08/08/the-best-book-youre-probably-not-reading/ Anyone here own it?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 9, 2016

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Ignite Memories posted:

This sounded amazing so i tried googling around for it. This is all I could really find on it.

edit: this book actually sounds really great. https://graphicnovelty.wordpress.com/2009/08/08/the-best-book-youre-probably-not-reading/ Anyone here own it?

Yeah I did. It's a 12 issue series written by Greg Pakk. I liked it.

In the series Rhody is a cyborg after getting mostly blown up. But he's constantly being fed videos of war atrocities so he's driven to kill as many war criminals until he dies.
The meta plot is thst Tony grew a clone body to put Rhodey in before he died. But Dark Reign happened and Tony went on the run and Norman Osborn took the body to use as leverage against War Machine.

In the end they fight Ultimo and Norman Osborn is pretty great. And Rhody does get into the clone body.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That War Machine run is on Unlimited FYI

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah I did. It's a 12 issue series written by Greg Pakk. I liked it.

In the series Rhody is a cyborg after getting mostly blown up. But he's constantly being fed videos of war atrocities so he's driven to kill as many war criminals until he dies.
The meta plot is thst Tony grew a clone body to put Rhodey in before he died. But Dark Reign happened and Tony went on the run and Norman Osborn took the body to use as leverage against War Machine.

In the end they fight Ultimo and Norman Osborn is pretty great. And Rhody does get into the clone body.

And it's a hell of a lot better than the two Marvel Max War Machine minis.

Unrelated:

(pinup from Fear Agent #3)

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Ygolonac posted:

And it's a hell of a lot better than the two Marvel Max War Machine minis.

Unrelated:

(pinup from Fear Agent #3)

Is that monkey holding a poop gun?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

ecavalli posted:

Is that monkey holding a poop gun?

Oh, god, where does that hose go!? :gonk:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The monkey gunner on one of the cars also has a hose leading to his pants.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

anti-Personnel Odourous and Organic Projectile.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I had to reread that panel three times, and each time more of it's true nature opened up before me like a beautiful flower. :allears:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Gavok posted:

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Five #22

At the end of Year One, Alfred took one of those super pills and beat the everloving poo poo out of Superman before leaving with a broken Batman. Now we're reaching the end of the series and it's sadly time to tie up loose ends.

Alfred proves to be the loving man.

It's not canon in any way, but the most recent JL8 also has Alfred being awesome.

http://limbero.org/jl8/220

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

willus posted:

If youre counting the movies, I think in wolverine origins(?) Liev Schreiber knocks him over and stomps on the claws shattering them.

e: Although I think the more badass moment in that fight is when sabertooth is fighting the teleporting guy and kills him by standing there taking hits until he works out where his next punch is gonna come from and just putting his hand where his spine is going to be.

This was the panel I was referring to.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Those are the covers to the end of the run / death of wolverine, not panels.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oooohhhhhh. Might explain why I haven't seen em in a book. Thought it was alt earth story where someone figures out how to break adamantium.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

This was the panel I was referring to.

haha sorry, I misinterpreted your post and thought you were asking for examples of wolverines claws getting wrecked, not a specific one!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I like this. You know, I understand what Joe Quesada was trying to do when he erased the marriage. The man has a very specific ideal of Spider-Man. Okay, swell. But I'm of the opinion that if you're gonna make a sweeping change for Peter, why not have him start to garner serious major league respect from his peers and have it stick for once? You have panels like this, or the one where Cap invites him formally to be an Avenger, but they're the exception, not the rule.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Because that is also apart of the status quo he wants to protect.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Spider-man's whole deal is that he's forever an outsider, no matter what he's wearing. People who love Spider-man can't stand Peter Parker and vice versa.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ferrule posted:

Spider-man's whole deal is that he's forever an outsider, no matter what he's wearing. People who love Spider-man can't stand Peter Parker and vice versa.

Flash Thompson was bullying Peter Parker while being the president of a Spider-Man fan club.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

prefect posted:

Flash Thompson was bullying Peter Parker while being the president of a Spider-Man fan club.

They eventually became pals though, and I don't recall Thompson reversing his views on Spidey.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

They eventually became pals though, and I don't recall Thompson reversing his views on Spidey.

He tried to eat him a few times.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I only do that to people I really like.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

goatface posted:

I only do that to people I really like.
_____/

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

What's this from?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I like this. You know, I understand what Joe Quesada was trying to do when he erased the marriage. The man has a very specific ideal of Spider-Man. Okay, swell. But I'm of the opinion that if you're gonna make a sweeping change for Peter, why not have him start to garner serious major league respect from his peers and have it stick for once? You have panels like this, or the one where Cap invites him formally to be an Avenger, but they're the exception, not the rule.

I really liked how he's portrayed as a mentor and helper of young heroes (for example, that part in runaways after the "I'm Batman" panel and he takes them out for sushi and talks to them or the great Spider-Man and the X-men mini of last year), because who's better to give advice to young heroes besides a person who started his hero career at, like 15, and was way in over his head (besides fully prepared mental therapist and care professionals, but this is cape books).

Cap is the ideal, but Spidey is the one that could help you get there.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vincent posted:

I really liked how he's portrayed as a mentor and helper of young heroes (for example, that part in runaways after the "I'm Batman" panel and he takes them out for sushi and talks to them or the great Spider-Man and the X-men mini of last year), because who's better to give advice to young heroes besides a person who started his hero career at, like 15, and was way in over his head (besides fully prepared mental therapist and care professionals, but this is cape books).

Cap is the ideal, but Spidey is the one that could help you get there.

You know who could be great? Doc Samson. Of course, he had actual "great" appearances about 2% of the time. It was awesome when he helped Speedball get over his Penance thing. :allears:

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm really glad they gave him sharp teeth later on, dull ones make him look like he's just doing a Gene Simmons impersonation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm really glad they gave him sharp teeth later on, dull ones make him look like he's just doing a Gene Simmons impersonation.

:sigh:

Jokes are hard.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Or I'm just stupid :downs:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Amazing X-Men #18: After a good while of there being no Juggernaut around, the Crimson Gem of Cyttorak has resurfaced and is sending out a call for people to come get it. The X-Men have come to intercept, as preventing there from being a new Juggernaut is obviously in their best interest, but they failed because the Living Monolith got to it first. So while the X-Men try to fight it, Colossus hatches a scheme with former Juggernaut Cain Marko (he's there because he had come to destroy the gem) and goes to Cyttorak's realm or whatever to strike a bargain.

It backfires! Cyttorak takes Colossus' deal but gives Marko the power and the issue ends on a cliffhanger. But I told you that story to post this one. Amazing X-Men #19:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Juggernaut is the hero we need (to kill Cyclops).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lurdiak posted:

Juggernaut is the hero we need (to kill Cyclops).

I haven't read X-Men in awhile, is Cyke still running around flashing X-Symbols with his arms like the adorably dorky militant cult leader he became at the end of X-Men vs Avengers? :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't read X-Men in awhile, is Cyke still running around flashing X-Symbols with his arms like the adorably dorky militant cult leader he became at the end of X-Men vs Avengers? :3:

Nope, he's a corpse. Juggernaut there didn't kill him though, he apparently died trying to kill the Inhumans in a vague nonspecific way (suicide bomb? suicide-by-Black Bolt?). Then Mr. Sinister tried to perform experiments on his body because that's what Sinister does and the X-Men stopped him but make no mistake, he dead.