Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh man, InCell is :barf: for me. It looks neat but man is it ever dizzying. At least it was free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh man, InCell is :barf: for me. It looks neat but man is it ever dizzying. At least it was free.

Yeah, something is seriously warped or hosed up with InCell's rendering. I can barely look at it for 5 minutes.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe they could detect when you're sprinting at the wall and then just flash the screen to give you a seizure so you fall down and don't break your walls or windows.

If you are sprinting in VR, I'm pretty sure something is wrong.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mordaedil posted:

If you are sprinting in VR, I'm pretty sure something is wrong.

Tell that to all the people who have done it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Tell that to all the people who have done it.

Don't run in VR Cojawfee.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Here's a google map showing all USA Vive demo locations. I remember someone was asking about that earlier.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1ZS5lYddr1rqarWltrfTsT8NJqOo

It's also being updated as more locations open up.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

BossTweed posted:

Hope everyone is ready to enjoy VR reproductions of everyone's VR dens, aka their parent's basement.

If you can't wait, the SteamVR Workshop has you covered already.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

I played InCell standing up and it was a bad idea, I got really disoriented in one loopy part and almost psyched myself into falling on my face. Weird feeling. Gotta take those "seated experiences" seriously!

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Poetic Justice posted:

Here's a google map showing all USA Vive demo locations. I remember someone was asking about that earlier.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1ZS5lYddr1rqarWltrfTsT8NJqOo

drat, nothing near me. And that poo poo is way out of my price range. Looks cool as hell though. Ofc I would probably get paranoid as poo poo walking around with that thing on my head.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 9, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ShadowMoo posted:

drat, nothing near me. And that poo poo is way out of my price range. Looks cool as hell though. Ofc I would probably get paranoid as poo poo walking around with that thing on my head.

If VR is clicking for you that paranoia doesn't exist. For me anyway it feels like I'm wherever I am rather that standing in the real world with a bag over my head so that assumed feeling isn't there.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Oh hey I got a package today.

:getin:

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Kazy posted:

Oh my.

That is some sexy hardware. Seems like more and more devs are getting kits. What are you making?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Kazy posted:

Before you play around with them too much, can you test out for us how fast the touch controllers you received can get mailed to me?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I want to know how much the pressing of each gamepad button increases your shill factor.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kazy posted:

Nice, I didn't know those were public yet. I'm jealous.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone have experience with both Rift and Vive plugged in? How does software that supports both select which to use? Does it depend on the launcher that's used? Do they just fight and pout and refuse to work while the other is plugged in?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you launch with Oculus home, it obviously chooses the rift. If you launch with steamVR, it picks whichever one has HDMI plugged in. I swap out which one is plugged into the HDMI extender depending one which one I want to use. I don't know how it deals with them if you have both HDMIs plugged in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cojawfee posted:

If you launch with Oculus home, it obviously chooses the rift. If you launch with steamVR, it picks whichever one has HDMI plugged in. I swap out which one is plugged into the HDMI extender depending one which one I want to use. I don't know how it deals with them if you have both HDMIs plugged in.

What sort of extender do you use?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Kazy posted:

Awesome! Do you have a Vive setup as well? Can you post your thoughts comparing the two?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Warbird posted:

Awesome! Do you have a Vive setup as well? Can you post your thoughts comparing the two?

I do, but I have to figure out sensor placement first. :v:

Flashbackjack posted:

Oh my.

That is some sexy hardware. Seems like more and more devs are getting kits. What are you making?

Computer Janitor :v: I've posted it before, but haven't uploaded a new build lately.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'm seriously tempted to set up something to let people come demo my Vive for like $10 a hour or something. The only other place to do it around here is a couple hours away and this stupid thing isn't going to pay for itself.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
10 bucks an hour seems really cheap, though. I'd at least double that.

e: A commercial arcade would probably charge 5 bucks for a 10-minute experience, or more.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sliderule posted:

10 bucks an hour seems really cheap, though. I'd at least double that.

e: A commercial arcade would probably charge 5 bucks for a 10-minute experience, or more.

At least $1/minute, IMO. Especially because you have meaningful setup/explanation time.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
On the one hand, there's inherent value in sharing the magic of VR!

On the other hand, one of them is eventually going to break your poo poo.

Balance these two forces, and you will arrive at the right charge for you, personally.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
"hello internet, here is the address for where I live. It is full of ridiculously expensive things. I hope to make sub-minimum wage with my free time."

Edit: "also, please rub your face on my property."

Warbird
May 23, 2012

$25 an hour, and for goons a special price: $45 an hour.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

What sort of extender do you use?

I'm using this extender: http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024010&p_id=3343&seq=1&format=2

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ordered, thanks.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I swear to god if I stumble across one more news article about how Vives are shipping in 72 hours I'm recreating a modern GWOT version of Rambo: First Blood

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Jarmak posted:

I swear to god if I stumble across one more news article about how Vives are shipping in 72 hours I'm recreating a modern GWOT version of Rambo: First Blood

I just want to give you a hug. :glomp:

Reading about your experience is just maddening.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Speaking of the Vive, in case some of you don't read reddit (don't blame you) apparently you wanna switch out the lanyard on the motion controllers as soon as possible because they are awful and are prone to breaking/becoming unglued from the controller. On the Vive subreddit most people seemed pretty happy with the Nintendo Wii replacement wrist straps.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 9, 2016

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
HTC just launched the VIVE business edition, pay 1200 per and you get a support contract. Also no limits.

Looks exactly the same as the Consumer ver other than blue accents.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

w00tazn posted:

HTC just launched the VIVE business edition, pay 1200 per and you get a support contract. Also no limits.

Looks exactly the same as the Consumer ver other than blue accents.

Yeah, it looks like they threw in some extra face foams, but other than that the differences all seem to be support related.

I played around in Destinations for a few minutes. It seems like a pretty nice setup for people to build their own little worlds for you to explore. They let you control how people move within the world you build (free teleport or teleport to little destination pads), support an easy way to have a floating information popup that can describe where you are, and you can give things animation that can be triggered by your location. I am wondering how complex the animations and triggers can be.

They have a demo with some portal robots and a table with popcorn on it it looks like people might have some fun playing with scale. There is a church door that is super detailed and looks almost as real as you could want, and they have a Mars world too based on pictures taken by the rover. Neat stuff.

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 9, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wonder if one could somehow stream VR video from a PC--say, House of the Dying Sun in VR mode--to a phone's screen and to a Gear VR. Probably not, huh.

Man I really want to try that game in VR.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Wheres the rick and morty VR game?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

BossTweed posted:

I played around in Destinations for a few minutes. It seems like a pretty nice setup for people to build their own little worlds for you to explore. They let you control how people move within the world you build (free teleport or teleport to little destination pads), support an easy way to have a floating information popup that can describe where you are, and you can give things animation that can be triggered by your location. I am wondering how complex the animations and triggers can be.

They seem to have ported over a lot of the entity system from Source 1, including a bunch of Half-Life 2 specific entities (that probably don't work in the actual game). You probably could build quite complicated scenes, maybe even some simple interactive games.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder if one could somehow stream VR video from a PC--say, House of the Dying Sun in VR mode--to a phone's screen and to a Gear VR. Probably not, huh.

Man I really want to try that game in VR.

Last I looked around and tried stuff, Trinus VR was the best bet, and it was pretty terrible for me. Just couldn't push the frames out at decent res when I tried over USB.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

r0ck0 posted:

You mean Roy?

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

r0ck0 posted:

You are actually playing it now.

Wait, should I spoiler that?

Syves fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Even using both cams in front, it's looking pretty good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLrcZHZ14Yo