Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ronya posted:

hmm, I feel that Blair experienced the opposite - his administration sailed in on a tide of political imagination and will and requisite deftness, but these were skills and ideas polished in the era of Kinnock - ie constructed assuming that ideal Labour policy is more or less obvious and the main problem is a combative activist base

this would fail to be sustainable, principally because Blairism was too effective in reforming the party. "let's take these impulses, drown them in democratic participations and consultations whilst we hammer out something that looks plausibly like the desired outcome, and thereby triumph through sheer procedural inertia" presumes the existence of energetic impulses. the model was too successful. Labour no longer demands a united Ireland, unilateral disarmament, or for that matter Clause IV, and you'll observe that Corbnyism has not revived demands of this nature - these demands have been largely extirpated, even amongst the Labour base. And so party grandees - the generation who climbed the ladder as SPADs rather than in left-wing Labour council politics red in tooth and claw, as Blair himself did - stumble around without an agenda. It's not even triangulation, it's the sheer absence of a discourse

Cheers for this - interesting analysis.

It does feel like Blairism is suffering the same absence of intellectual heavyweights that the Tories did post-Thatcher. Heck, I'd say they only recovered thanks to Blair managing to develop King Herod's touch but turning things to poo poo instead of gold by 2007 and the financial crisis giving them FINALLY something to hammer Labour about.

Remember how Cameron was routinely mocked in opposition for not actually proposing anything but just going "I'll tell you what we won't do! We won't ___________" with whatever policy of Labour's they were trying to kick? The sheer vacuity of his rhetoric meant that even come 2010 he was meant to be having a cakewalk into power but still failed to secure an absolute majority.

1943: the end of the Battle of Stalingrad, the Axis fail to take it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure Corbyn failing to revive old policies is a bad thing. He gets poo poo for minor things like nuclear disarmament. Imagine the field day they'd have with someone who wants to "betray" the UK by giving NI to Ireland. Remember all the lovely awful military blowhards telling the papers they'd totally be up for murdering Corbyn to protect the country for commies. Well that times a million.

I'd say the political zeitgeist of the UK outright requires one to take babysteps or the media will make an example of you.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Noxville posted:

It's health and safety gone mad

Har har.

People moving in next to what they know is a music venue and then complaining about it are the loving worst.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Coohoolin posted:

Har har.

People moving in next to what they know is a music venue and then complaining about it are the loving worst.

music in the UK is dead, as with all things Scotland is just resisting the terminal shitness a bit longer

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Local music is good and cool and worth supporting.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Its happened, we've reached peak Guardian http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/09/jonathan-franzen-cats-screens-feline-harm

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Coohoolin posted:

Har har.

Depends.
We moved beside a pub, knowing full well it was going to be noisy. It was an old man's pub. Never had a problem with them.
Then a few years later the contract expired and two shitheads bought it and turned it into a shithole with lovely irish music (fake chuckies ahoy) until 6am and fighting out on the streets.
Pub is same name, just different management. If the same situation happened as with us here, I can understand it.

Guavanaut posted:

Local music is good and cool and worth supporting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uSGtRoEQYA

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

happyhippy posted:

Depends.
We moved beside a pub, knowing full well it was going to be noisy. It was an old man's pub. Never had a problem with them.
Then a few years later the contract expired and two shitheads bought it and turned it into a shithole with lovely irish music (fake chuckies ahoy) until 6am and fighting out on the streets.
Pub is same name, just different management. If the same situation happened as with us here, I can understand it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uSGtRoEQYA

Became a music venue 3 years ago. Neighbour moved in within the last 2.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

They missed the opportunity to reference El Gato and hence why this, like everything else wrong with this planet, is the fault of one Jeremy Corbyn, therefore I'm going to have to give this -1 Guardian.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Except table salt :v: Although you can buy 'organic table salt' so :what:

A lot of the certified 'organic' pesticides are more harmful than the 'synthetic' ones. Copper salts (classed as an organic pesticide/fungicide even though most are inorganic salts :v:) are bad and highly broad spectrum, and black leaf 40 does all of the awful bee killing poo poo that the environmental movement says about neonicotinoids plus more (because it's made by boiling tobacco leaf in sulfuric acid). Black leaf has been banned from general agricultural use for a while, but last I heard it was still allowed for organic farms for :wtf: reasons.

No chemicals but incites children to racism.

A shameful toy.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

It might be the only place they can get. It's not like people are overburdened with choice when it comes to housing in this country.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

sometimes I can hear sax music until well past midnight from a bar I live near but I like it

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Brown Moses posted:

I'm guessing 1 million new voters in the last 3 days have now made recent polls a rather unreliable measurement of the likely referendum outcome.
Remember the last election that had all the polls that said there was absolutely no way in hell that Cameron was going to get another term?

:v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIeF7cQR-70]

Really should be the thread theme song.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

tooterfish posted:

It might be the only place they can get. It's not like people are overburdened with choice when it comes to housing in this country.

I get that, but it's Aberdeen and complaining about music is dumb. What's also dumb is the council refusing to help fund the soundproofing they require, especially when the decibel limit they've imposed is set off by car alarms, shop alarms, and drunk people talking outside a club.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i'm going to vote leave but I don't really care what happens either way because i'm nearly certain whatever comes next will be horrible

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

tooterfish posted:

So buy some noise cancelling ear plugs to sleep in. Seriously, if you move in next to a place that plays music & then complain about the place that plays music, you are an arsehole. At some point the only venues left for bands to play are going to the the Hydro, O2 & similar vast arenas that accommodate thousands. Maybe that's OK to you if you're interest in music is so superficial that the only live music you'd consider watching is Coldplay, U2 & Adele, but for those of us with slightly more passion for music, be it new music, niche genres, whatever, venues of between 50 & 200 capacity are the lifeblood of countless scenes up & down the country.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i'm going to vote leave but I don't really care what happens either way because i'm nearly certain whatever comes next will be horrible

If you don't care why vote leave?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Namtab posted:

If you don't care why vote leave?

I care slightly more about having our legislators close at hand to hassle and also I despise the EU for the usual pile of reasons that "lexiters" generally have. I mean I don't care as far as outcomes - either way is going to be horrible and unbearable. I'm not going to slit my wrists if we vote remain.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I really don't understand why people get weird about the EU being "unelected". You don't elect the other thousand odd seats in parliament either, you elect one. You have the same vote for the EU. Pretending arbitrary national borders are somehow different to arbitrary constituency borders is bizarre

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

So buy some noise cancelling ear plugs to sleep in. Seriously, if you move in next to a place that plays music & then complain about the place that plays music, you are an arsehole. At some point the only venues left for bands to play are going to the the Hydro, O2 & similar vast arenas that accommodate thousands. Maybe that's OK to you if you're interest in music is so superficial that the only live music you'd consider watching is Coldplay, U2 & Adele, but for those of us with slightly more passion for music, be it new music, niche genres, whatever, venues of between 50 & 200 capacity are the lifeblood of countless scenes up & down the country.
loving hell, defensive much? I was just musing, not proclaiming the guy's god given right to get a venue shut.

Sometimes people are arseholes, sometimes people are just trying to get by. It's called empathy you passive aggressive hipster twat.

"If your interest in music is so superficial"... lol.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Spangly A posted:

I really don't understand why people get weird about the EU being "unelected". You don't elect the other thousand odd seats in parliament either, you elect one. You have the same vote for the EU. Pretending arbitrary national borders are somehow different to arbitrary constituency borders is bizarre

yeah that's a weird thing to get hung up on but people probably mean they feel it lacks legitimacy whereas they feel the national government is more legitimate or representative somehow.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Phoon posted:

sometimes I can hear sax music until well past midnight from a bar I live near but I like it

do you sit in lingerie on your windowsill eating a flake while listening to it?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Spangly A posted:

It's been weird the whole way.

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/701734838756368388

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Voter extension may be legally challenged by Arron Banks

quote:

A prominent Leave campaigner is considering launching a legal challenge after the government extended the EU referendum voter registration deadline.

Leave.EU founder Arron Banks said there were grounds for a judicial review of the "unconstitutional" move.

What constitution?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 45 minutes!

Coohoolin posted:

Got a new job that required them to be up early in the morning? Had a child? Diagnosed with a health condition? There are plenty of things which could have happened within 2 years to change that person's circumstances.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

if a millionaire wants to invest in windmill tilting i'm all for it

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If somebody opened a music venue next door I'd be furious.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

tooterfish posted:

loving hell, defensive much? I was just musing, not proclaiming the guy's god given right to get a venue shut.

Sometimes people are arseholes, sometimes people are just trying to get by. It's called empathy you passive aggressive hipster twat.

"If your interest in music is so superficial"... lol.

Yes, I am defensive because lots of venues I used to go & see bands I like are no longer there. Lot of venues up & down the country from London to Glasgow & every city in between has lost venues, and often it's because of exactly the reason stated by Coohoolin. It's a serious issue & yes, maybe it sounds hipster but it's really not, it's just "I like music which is unpleasant to most people & thus has a niche audience, so obviously Eyehategod will never sell out 1/50th of the capacity of the Hydro". People can get pissy and "passive aggressive" when selfish NIMBYs try to take things they like away.

There's nothing inherently wrong with having a superficial interest in music. It's not a judgement. It's a statement of fact, some people don't read the music press, don't go to dozens of live shows a year, don't buy music in large quantities & usually consume music through the radio, in the background. No need to be so touchy about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps there is a problem with having mixed residential and commercial use of land? It would be better to designate commercial zones which are integrated with residential areas but appropriately buffered and sound-shielded from nearby houses.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps there is a problem with having mixed residential and commercial use of land? It would be better to designate commercial zones which are integrated with residential areas but appropriately buffered and sound-shielded from nearby houses.
We could call them "suburbs" and "commercial parks" and "industrial estates".

A bit more seriously, the problem with rigid segregation like that is it tends to lead to soulless suburbs, commercial parks or industrial estates. The consensus in town planning has gone back towards mixed-use stuff in recent decades because of that (well and also cos property developers love building one-bed shoebox flats above shopping centres).

edit: better building standards would fix some of the problems. (Soundproofing in British flats is terrible wtf). Maybe you could even get music venues to soundproof themselves but the cost of doing that might bankrupt them.

edit2: otoh I guess a soundproofed venue could stay open till 4am or whatever so maybe that would help, idk

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Spangly A posted:

The Leave side makes a point about there being apparently five unelected European Presidents.

Their applicable counterparts in the UK are similarly unelected. And in at least three cases, popular election doesn't even make sense.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mixed use is fine for some things but building a late event venue next to housing is not one of those things.

Housing with parks and schools integrated. Good. Housing with grocery shopping integreted. Good. Commercial and office districts with parks integrated, good. Nightclubs next to your granny flats. Bad.

A mix of better planning and investment in proper venue and housing construction would be helpful but looooool spending money on things that aren't for rich people.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'd hate to live next door to a nightclub. Imagine the noise.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Coohoolin posted:

I get that, but it's Aberdeen and complaining about music is dumb. What's also dumb is the council refusing to help fund the soundproofing they require, especially when the decibel limit they've imposed is set off by car alarms, shop alarms, and drunk people talking outside a club.

Not commenting on this particular pub you love, but why is that stupid? If my neighbours car alarm / shop burglar alarm was going off every night I'd be onto the council sharpish. Totally unreasonable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

yeah that's a weird thing to get hung up on but people probably mean they feel it lacks legitimacy whereas they feel the national government is more legitimate or representative somehow.
Personally I have no love for either of them, but the one with the unwritten constitution and total lack of checks and balances, where the legislature claims total sovereignty, where the lower house claims full primacy, where the elections are disproportionate, and that doesn't even bother to justify its primacy with a decent founding mythology scares me both out of the two.

Especially since they have shown no qualms about steamrollering over basic ideas of common law like "rights are implicit unless specifically prohibited" in the past month in the name of political expediency.

Pissflaps posted:

If somebody opened a music venue next door I'd be furious.
Goon project?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Sure, no-one wants a nightclub or bar to open nex to them. But if you move into a property, and there's already a venue which hosts live music, you shouldn't have the right to get that venue shut down when they weren't doing anything different.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Phoon posted:

What plays sax music near you? I thought the only music place by you was the Vic which doesn't play sax music.

Anyway you are an arsehole if you move near an existing venue or pub and complain about the noise as a general rule but the laws exist before complaints are made, there are set acceptable noise levels and if a venue operates without accounting for them then they are running the risk of getting complaints and forced to change. Even though the bloke moved in after the venue should have already been preventing noise levels getting to a point were any complaints would be listened to. This slightly different to the worst situation where new builds are built next to a venue causing noise level restrictions to change.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

These people are also likely to either vote for UKIP who intentionally don't do anything useful with their MEP positions or don't bother voting for EU elections. They are fuckwits. So are all pro-leavers pretending there are good left-wing reasons for voting for a campaign based on the wank fantasies and wishful thinking of right-wing bell-ends, voting out while under a tory government is the action of the inexcusably stupid or loving scum. Someone tell Oi Polloi to write a song called "gently caress everyone who votes for Brexit".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I'd hate to live next door to a nightclub. Imagine the noise.

Pissflaps gets very angry if he hears sounds at all. Why, if he hears a pin drop his momentary anger is calmed by realising he was able to hear it at all.

• Locked thread