Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Western comics are often way better when done as single series with a definitive beginning and end rather than piggybacking off 70 years of character history and assumptions on how they "should" be.

See: Y: The Last Man, Transmetropolitan, Preacher, Hitman, Watchmen, Bone, etc

Bone as in Jeff Smith's Bone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah. Why, you don't like Bone?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I really like how Horikoshi-sensei is keeping the academia in boku no hero academia. This big, insane, knockdown drag out end fight of the two biggest characters in the series is actually an argument about Teaching Methods. The dude is brilliant, and the pacing remains to be the best that comes to mind in a Shonen Manga so far.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Radish posted:

Basically MHA is what I wish American superhero comics were more like.

What I like about MHA is that it's sincere. Lots of western cape comics are so wrapped up in pointing out how silly the idea of superheroes is - Everyone is always referencing some dumb previous event in a comic as a joke or sighing dejectedly about having to stop criminals again. MHA is more like a really good love letter to the idea of superpowers and crime fighting.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't see much American Marvel/DC stuff but the stuff I do see always seems desperate to send some kind of relevant political message to the time frame it's written in and if I want to see poorly presented politics, I'll just look at any comments section on the internet.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Hopeford posted:

Man, I don't know what it is about this manga that gets me legitimately tense when I turn the pages. Like I legitimately care about what's going on and keep hoping characters are going to be okay, I feel silly reading it haha. But whatever, this is super fun.

I feel much the same, Horikoshi's done such an amazing job up to this point with pacing and dramatic moments and it can only go up from here

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah. Why, you don't like Bone?

I'm just making sure I'm thinking of the same thing because, wow, I don't think I've talked to anyone about Bone/heard anyone bring it up since I got out of Middle School.

It's good, I'm not arguing that.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Countblanc posted:

What I like about MHA is that it's sincere. Lots of western cape comics are so wrapped up in pointing out how silly the idea of superheroes is - Everyone is always referencing some dumb previous event in a comic as a joke or sighing dejectedly about having to stop criminals again. MHA is more like a really good love letter to the idea of superpowers and crime fighting.

Yeah I agree. Everything Marvel/DC feels like it's either trying to be the next Watchmen in terms of deconstructing superheroes, or referencing something that happened in some totally separate series. Then you have stuff that feels like its being done entirely for shock such as Nazi Captain America or as you say making fun of their own concept. MHA does feel like a love letter to the idea of Superhero stuff while still tackling issues like people needing some pillar to believe in and what happens when Superheroes become sanctioned and normalized by the government. The comic has done a good job of quickly building a world and isn't being strangled by a hundred years of stuff that needs to be retconned or have a million alternate dimension stupidity to explain to inconsistencies.

KoB
May 1, 2009
United States of Smash :911:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think MHA feels pretty similar to books like Ms. Marvel and Nova. I definitely don't think that it's entirely different or that 'every' comic lacks the earnest-ness of this.

That said, I think better than any other trait of the manga is that none of the chapters really feel wasted. I have chapters I know I will skip if I ever decided to re-read One Piece, and tons I'd skip for Bleach and Naruto, and many I'd skip for... everything else. But MHA has good things in every chapter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
MHA is still new comparitively. when its 600 chapters long you'll be skipping bits

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Western comics are often way better when done as single series with a definitive beginning and end rather than piggybacking off 70 years of character history and assumptions on how they "should" be.

See: Y: The Last Man, Transmetropolitan, Preacher, Hitman, Watchmen, Bone, etc

I feel that while there are individual Western comics that are just as good as any individual Japanese manga, the Japanese manga industry in general is far more robust and, as a result, produces far more content of all levels of quality (which naturally also results in more high quality content) than the Western comics industry. The simple fact that more people aspire to draw manga means that more talent is going to show up. Another problem is that in the West, pretty much all comics are aimed at a relatively nerdy audience. Even the good comics like those you mentioned are seldom read by people who are not at least somewhat nerdy. By contrast, manga is a comparatively mainstream thing with a very wide variety of genres.

So even though it might sound disagreeable, I honestly believe that Japanese manga has more to offer than Western comics, at least in the past several decades.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ytlaya posted:

I feel that while there are individual Western comics that are just as good as any individual Japanese manga, the Japanese manga industry in general is far more robust and, as a result, produces far more content of all levels of quality (which naturally also results in more high quality content) than the Western comics industry. The simple fact that more people aspire to draw manga means that more talent is going to show up. Another problem is that in the West, pretty much all comics are aimed at a relatively nerdy audience. Even the good comics like those you mentioned are seldom read by people who are not at least somewhat nerdy. By contrast, manga is a comparatively mainstream thing with a very wide variety of genres.

So even though it might sound disagreeable, I honestly believe that Japanese manga has more to offer than Western comics, at least in the past several decades.
That is the gooniest post I have ever agreed with.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Another huge part of it is that most mangaka are creating their own original stories, while a large portion of western comics are owned and created by companies who hire multiple artists and authors to re-tell and re-interpret the same characters and stories that have existed for decades.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I believed in All Might. He SMASH'd. :911:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah if I was going to pick one thing about the Japanese comic industry that is unquestionably superior to its American counterpart it would be that everything isn't mired in the slurry of The Jump Universe or whatever.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Peel posted:

Yeah if I was going to pick one thing about the Japanese comic industry that is unquestionably superior to its American counterpart it would be that everything isn't mired in the slurry of The Jump Universe or whatever.

Yeah, imagine a world where for example, Naruto, gets constantly sequel'd and spinoff'd by different mangaka, it'd be immensely hosed up huh

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda hope Midoriya doesn't really go with the whole "Symbol of Peace" thing because that's arguably the weakest part of All Might's ideology. Any system based on one dude's existence falls apart if that guy dies and it's kinda stupid to just really really really hope that never happens through an unbroken line of successors.

I kinda hope the lesson in the end is something like, "everyone needs to be a hero to someone".

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
UNITED STATES OF SMASH! :black101:

Stain is totally planning on shanking AFO in prison.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm a little disappointed All for One is already out of commission (until he's broken out, obviously), and we're left with Shigaraki is going to get serious for real (again, after getting wrecked with contemptuous ease) as our teaser for future villainy. AfO was the only credible threat to the pro heroes we've seen and the ineffectuality of the villains is almost a running joke at this point. The pace of the manga is already frenetic and it's suffering from a lack of long-term threats.

I guess we'll see how things develop without All Might. That's been trailed as the trigger for things getting bad.

Futaba Anzu posted:

Yeah, imagine a world where for example, Naruto, gets constantly sequel'd and spinoff'd by different mangaka, it'd be immensely hosed up huh

Shueisha has tasted of the dark fruit.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Futaba Anzu posted:

it would be, but it would also increase the chance of a version of Naruto that is actually done competently.

Imagine wanting to read One Piece, but a canon part of One Piece's story are a number of huge crossover events with the rest of the Jump Universe. And you are faced with the choice of

A: reading only the parts focusing on the One Piece characters, but not understanding the context of what's going on during the crossover event

B: reading the whole crossover event without reading the rest of the Jump Universe manga, thus giving you context for what's happening wrt the One Piece characters you give a poo poo about, but lacking a lot of context for the rest of the poo poo that's going on in the crossover event.

C: reading Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, etc. up to the crossover event as well, giving you full context for everything that's happening but at the cost of a lot more of your free time and also now you've split your focus between a lot of different stories and characters and you can't just stop reading them because there'll be more crossover events in the future that you have to keep up with all these manga in order to understand and now you've devoted such a huge amount of time to this hobby that you have severely limited your ability to do anything else for fun and you've disappointed your parents and your dog and your girlfriend's left you and you've brought dishonor on your cow and your cow's dog and your cow's parents.

or D: saying gently caress it and going to learn to play the drums instead.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Peel posted:

I'm a little disappointed All for One is already out of commission (until he's broken out, obviously), and we're left with Shigaraki is going to get serious for real (again, after getting wrecked with contemptuous ease) as our teaser for future villainy. AfO was the only credible threat to the pro heroes we've seen and the ineffectuality of the villains is almost a running joke at this point. The pace of the manga is already frenetic and it's suffering from a lack of long-term threats.

I guess we'll see how things develop without All Might. That's been trailed as the trigger for things getting bad.

Shueisha has tasted of the dark fruit.
Pretty much this.

Basically if you're a good guy in class 1-A/1-B you're pretty much gold outside of self-inflicted injuries and boo-boos that all get healed off screen to no major difficulty.

Like I said, kinda disappointed. I love the torch-handing moment at the end but really, kinda deflating and consequence-less because All Might managed to reassure the public at the end as well to leave his Symbol of Peace status in tact for now. Like yeah he's spent, but that's the least bad outcome when we were all expecting his death- him being alive at all makes this overall a majorly upbeat scene due to the buildup and endless death flags. This should come off as really maudlin because All Might is officially out of power now and can't protect Midoriya anymore- he really is on his own now even if All Might ISN'T dead, but the build up was pointing towards something really devastating and this...well, it really wasn't. Midoriya is a poo poo narrator.

Shigaraki is going to show up with his goon squad later, and they're gonna loving lose again and no one will suffer actual long-term consequences from it (being told there will be long term consequences does not count as long term consequences just fyi). Hori can produce great emotionally wrenching moments but I'm pretty much 110% convinced now the entire class is safe from here to the end of the manga- like Fairy Tail levels of "no one ever suffers permanent consequences for anything". Now that All Might lived, where's the tension? You can't tell me to think Shigaraki is going to manage to pull off anything resembling a real win because any win condition seems to be beyond the pale by the tone set so far.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 9, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am glad none of the kids will probably get killed off.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I am glad none of the kids will probably get killed off.
:same:
plus I'm really happy the All Might death predictions ended up wrong

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

:same:
plus I'm really happy the All Might death predictions ended up wrong

Those people should have believed in All Might more.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eh, a kind of obvious way to step things up in the future is to reveal that a bunch of potential villains weren't acting because of All Might's existence (which has actually kind of been heavily implied if not directly said). Without All Might, the rest of the heroes might not be capable of handling the increase in new villain activity.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am glad All for One got defeated because even though he was a cool dude and a cool villain, he was just too drat big. He's a guy that threatens the entire world, and the main characters aren't even heroes, they're kids still going to school.

So I think it's good most of this was just to build up Shigaraki, because he's a much better villain for Deku. Both in terms of power level and motivation. Honestly, he started off as a really lame bad guy but ever since his talk with Deku he's become one of my favourite villain's in Jump. And I think this development is good for him and the story in general.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah, All Might isn't dead but he's publicly been shown to be mortal and is now permanently out of commission. So there's an easy setup to raise the stakes and make the villains more credible, and this has been built up for a long while as the thing that would do that.

It's just, you know. We're waiting to see if the manga actually goes through with it, or slips back into it's usual style while just talking about how things are now for real serious.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If I'm completely unafraid for any of the students then there's no tension in the battle bits, so it may as well be a SOL manga (I would be okay with this!).

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Fabricated posted:

Pretty much this.

Like I said, kinda disappointed. I love the torch-handing moment at the end but really, kinda deflating and consequence-less because All Might managed to reassure the public at the end as well to leave his Symbol of Peace status in tact for now. Like yeah he's spent, but that's the least bad outcome when we were all expecting his death- him being alive at all makes this overall a majorly upbeat scene due to the buildup and endless death flags. This should come off as really maudlin because All Might is officially out of power now and can't protect Midoriya anymore- he really is on his own now even if All Might ISN'T dead, but the build up was pointing towards something really devastating and this...well, it really wasn't. Midoriya is a poo poo narrator.

I agree that this manga is really not up to snuff when it comes to sating my bloodlust and quieting the screaming voices I hear every night in my dreams, baying for the blood of the innocent. The sweet finality of the void is the only consequence I can recognise, being devoid of human emotion or ability to handle context. I hate this sweet la-de-da candyfloss nonsense in my comic book for literal children.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Fabricated posted:

If I'm completely unafraid for any of the students then there's no tension in the battle bits, so it may as well be a SOL manga (I would be okay with this!).

lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

One Piece went 600 chapters without a single character dying except in flashbacks.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Someone in Fairy Tail got sucked into the netherworld as a mass of particles and it's kinda sad until you realize that there's no way that character is actually dead so it kinda goes from "that was a pretty affecting scene" to "bets on how many chapters before they punch their way out of death"

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Someone in Fairy Tail got sucked into the netherworld as a mass of particles and it's kinda sad until you realize that there's no way that character is actually dead so it kinda goes from "that was a pretty affecting scene" to "bets on how many chapters for it before they punch their way out of death"

I guess you better stop reading manga now because there are very few times the protagonist of a manga will die in a battle so there is no tension whatsoever according to you

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

Another huge part of it is that most mangaka are creating their own original stories, while a large portion of western comics are owned and created by companies who hire multiple artists and authors to re-tell and re-interpret the same characters and stories that have existed for decades.

I think that a better comparison with Western comics might be anime, rather than manga. Sort of like Western comics, anime also generally has a business model that focuses on aiming for a very small number of hardcore nerds/otaku, with high quality titles being a very small minority, sort of like is the case with most Western comics. It's not a perfect comparison, since anime doesn't have the same "a million titles in the same universe" issue, but I think in a business sense they are similar.

edit: I'm quite certain that All for One will end up becoming an enemy again, since he's just in prison instead of dead. It just probably won't happen until the main cast is capable of opposing him.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 9, 2016

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well duh, the protagonist won't die. I care about more characters than just the protagonist though.

E: Also protagonists can "die" actually- see The Seven Deadly Sins.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 9, 2016

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm not really concerned with death, but the good stuff with Bakugou this past arc (for example) was only possible because for a precious few chapters the villains managed to achieve something. I'm hoping to see more of that so the whackamole feeling of the first hundred chapters turns out to be prologue, otherwise it'll get boring.

This seems to be the authors intent, but authors don't always manage what they intend.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I am glad All for One got defeated because even though he was a cool dude and a cool villain, he was just too drat big. He's a guy that threatens the entire world, and the main characters aren't even heroes, they're kids still going to school.

So I think it's good most of this was just to build up Shigaraki, because he's a much better villain for Deku. Both in terms of power level and motivation. Honestly, he started off as a really lame bad guy but ever since his talk with Deku he's become one of my favourite villain's in Jump. And I think this development is good for him and the story in general.

Shigaraki learned the power of friendship thanks to his conversation with Deku. (Specifically, he learned that it's worth it to put up with people you hate if it furthers your goals.) He even went from fighting (and trying to kill) Toga to attempting to defend her when she was attacked. And now his mentor sacrificed himself to save him and his friends.

Shigaraki really is the evil version of a shonen protagonist. He even started the series as a huge loving brat and has been developing into a competent, capable character since then.

Also while I agree that the series could probably afford to have a bit more bite when it comes to consequences for the protagonists, I''m fine with this development. Besides, plenty of students still haven't recovered from the attack on the camp; even some Class A students are out of commission. For all we know, we may never see Hagakure again.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
No one mourns for Best Jeanist? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rhonne posted:

No one mourns for Best Jeanist? :(

I think he might be alive.