Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

and the balloon thing is the fans

e: in that once hussie began to give up, toby took all the fans

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sameoldsong
Aug 1, 2013
after not reading homestuck since like...2013..?, I finally finished catching up from around trickster mode till the end. I liked pretty much everything up till act 7, which was, yeah. pretty bad. it really just seemed like an unnecessary dramatic flourish when really all that was called for after collide was an ending that actually wrapped things up. maybe some words would have been nice too.

It's just disappointing cause Problem Sleuth had what I would describe as a near-perfect ending, so I was really hoping Hussie would be able to pull that off again. Oh well I guess. maybe the epilogue will be good...?

oh, and it's hosed up that Spades died.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I admit I've been watching BKEW descend into despair at Homestuck's ending. Although it's getting kinda sad now that he 's saying he has lost sleep over it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

I admit I've been watching BKEW descend into despair at Homestuck's ending. Although it's getting kinda sad now that he 's saying he has lost sleep over it.

Did you expect anything else? Just reading their posts is like seeing someone consumed.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 9, 2016

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

WAR FOOT posted:

This just plays into my confirmation bias that Homestuck broke Hussie, and that the man that started writing the comic is dead

IPGD mentioned Hussie was a lot happier recently than he had been in the past so I think finally getting the burden of finishing the comic off his back and moving on was more important to him than some angry nerds thinking he's a hack because the ending wasn't perfect.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Rorus Raz posted:

In retrospect I'm glad my obsessive period with Homestuck both began and ended during the Gigapause.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

cathead posted:

IPGD mentioned Hussie was a lot happier recently than he had been in the past so I think finally getting the burden of finishing the comic off his back and moving on was more important to him than some angry nerds thinking he's a hack because the ending wasn't perfect.

I think he sort of made his own bed on this one, but his mental health is important, too.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

WAR FOOT posted:

I think he sort of made his own bed on this one, but his mental health is important, too.

Considering the whole Odd Gentlemen bullshit with the game, I don't really feel the bed was entirely his making. Perhaps the original mistake was trying to start on the game before the comic was finished, but one doesn't normally assume they'll be hosed over so hard when working with a professional game developer. I got the impression that he originally felt hiring a developer would allow him to just work on the writing and design aspects of the game and leave the bulk of the programming/asset development to the dev, which at the time probably seemed doable while still working on finishing the comic. Then things went really off the rails obviously and he was left with having to handle a lot more things than originally expected along with the original expectations of wrapping the comic up, so things got way more drawn out and the comic suffered as a result.

That's all conjecture though. I hope that some day he feels like/is able to talk about it in more detail as I'm sure a lot of people are interested in what really went down.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Agreed. I'd love a post about his mindset, ala the end of Problem Sleuth. He just became so withdrawn and disconnected form the community, which was completely at odds with his earlier persona.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I'd def like to hear a little more from him, but I just have to assume that the plan was to finish the comic in late 2014 or whatever and then be around to help with the game while the actual game studio did all the work

Honestly the whole situation is why I'm not too upset about Act 7; I don't like it very much, but the little window we've got into his life lets me have a little perspective and be willing to hold out for the epilogue that will hopefully happen.

Hopefully he can get back to normal, or a new normal, at some point so that he can go back to making things how he likes at whatever speed he feels like. I'm sure the whole situation has been monstrously stressful for something that was a dumb hobby comic drawn in mspaint

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Most hobbies don't result in two and a half mil before merch

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I mean yeah but I'm not sure that he had the expertise to turn that onto a finished product which is why he handed it to someone else who, in theory, would

Like I said, I'm sure his dream best case was that he could work on both side- by-side with little to no pause on either, with the game coming out in early 2015, maybe half a year after the comic ended

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Plan A was comic done in 2013, game done in 2014.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Plan A was comic done in a year.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

Plan A was comic done in 2013, game done in 2014.

Lmao

[wistfully] lmao

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

cathead posted:

Yeah, I don't like Act 7, but it's nice to know the guy who made it is happy, satisfied, and ready to move on.

It's an ending, that's enough.

Rorus Raz posted:

Hopefully this guy finds some way to move on too. It's legitimately awful when something starts screwing up your mental health.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Act 7 is actually a metaphor for hussie escaping the narrative

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
eh, still better than the potter series epilogue

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think there are instances where this is true, but Homestuck isn't one of them.

I have no idea if this is true for Lost or not, I never watched that show beyond a few episodes of the first season out of order.

I think it's partially true in Homestuck's case. There are valid criticisms about the ending, but I've also seen people who consider the fact that we didn't get more info on the denizens, or hear a particular unreleased song, a serious and unmistakable flaw. Those people have generally built up things in their head over time and through investment to be a certain way and aren't necessarily fully objective in their criticism because of that.

In Lost's case probably partially true as well. They eventually released an epilogue short that explained the show's actual plot holes via comic exposition, but its were way, way more egregious than Homestuck and a bit of a consequence of the restraints of serialised television writing.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Tollymain posted:

eh, still better than the potter series epilogue

I'm pumped for the Homestuck musical sequel a decade from now

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Death Bot posted:

I'm pumped for the Homestuck musical sequel a decade from now

Not gonna lie: I would love a Homestuck musical.

Musicals are so great :3:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Vriska's songs are gonna be so great. She starts out with a bold, brash number, and then she has a real tear-jerker that marks a major character change...and then she swerves on you, it's back to bold and brash, she storms on stage and cold-cocks the guy in the big foam rubber Lord English puppet and has a song twice as bombastic as the initial one.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Think Lord Flashheart, but with horns and singing. And a puppet.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Feferi gets secondary billing but no solos.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I think I remember a Homestuck musical that actually had some lyrics ready, and perhaps even song, on the MSPA forums. I don't know if anything came from that.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

cathead posted:

Considering the whole Odd Gentlemen bullshit with the game

What's the situation with that stuff anyway? I heard about it a while back but never got the whole story.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Wrist Watch posted:

What's the situation with that stuff anyway? I heard about it a while back but never got the whole story.

It's never been actually officially confirmed (for obvious reasons) but supposedly the odd gentlemen sorta waffled around doing not much with the project then got asked to do the new King's Quest and a good chunk of the money went towards that instead, or something

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Basically, they agreed to develop Hiveswap, then Sierra approached them to do a King's Quest reboot and they jumped at the chance because of the big name. However, instead of re-negotiating their contract or telling Hussie they were going to be unable to work on Hiveswap, they embezzled money continuously from the Hiveswap development fund to pay their way on King's Quest, all the while not working on the game and not telling Hussie what was going on with its development.

That's the best guess anyone has. It sounds like a pretty wildly terrible situation.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

I think I remember a Homestuck musical that actually had some lyrics ready, and perhaps even song, on the MSPA forums. I don't know if anything came from that.

Collaborative fan projects never go anywhere 99% of the time.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

As an addendum, games publishers approaching indie studios will often offer deals like, "if you can put up however many hundred thousand/million dollars in front money, we'll make up the bulk of development costs and split the profits". So, and this really is speculation, I'd bet that's the kind of deal TOG got from Sierra and part of the reason why they embezzled money from Hiveswap's development - they probably literally needed it to meet Sierra's bid.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Collaborative fan projects never go anywhere 99% of the time.
I still can't believe the Rex fan flash got finished

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

a baby is you

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh, we got way further than that. We had lyrics all the way through to Hivebent. And we'd actually started acting the thing up until the end of act 2 done. Then two of our biggest contributors disappeared off the face of the internet.

Most of the resources from the project are still accessible, though.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
karkat and vriska were my favourite characters and im not a fan of their arc endings

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

b-but dave said characters dont have arcs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WAR FOOT posted:

b-but dave said characters dont have arcs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Descriptive, not prescriptive.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

If I ever write something creative, I'm going to have a character say that real life doesn't have arcs or endings.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

actually a story without arcs or satisfying conclusion would probably be studied in high school

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
*Old Lore Sage, hundreds of years ago* "And see, the world started when the heat and cold from Muspell and Niflheim met and melted the ice and that fluid grew into a giant frost ogre named Ymir. Ymir slept, falling into a sweat. Under his left arm there grew a man and a woman. And one of his legs begot a son with the other. This was the beginning of the frost ogres. Thawing frost then became a cow called Audhumla. Four rivers of milk ran from her teats, and she fed Ymir."

*Hussie, desperately trying to finish Homestuck* "...and the aliens have the same pop culture as we do but they talk about romance weird and honestly don't matter to anything that happens and then they beat the bad guy and make a happy world where humans are replaced by chess pieces that can't breed. And I know I can't finish any of these 100 character arcs well so I'll just have a character say that narratives as a concept are stupid and that'll explain that all away."

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WAR FOOT posted:

actually a story without arcs or satisfying conclusion would probably be studied in high school

There are lots of stories like that. Some are good, some are bad.

For example: Coen Brothers have directed a ton of movies that fit that description. Some great like the Big Lewbowski, and some not so great like Burn After Reading (that's a personal opinion though, I'm pretty sure lots of people liked Burn After Reading I'm just not one of them).