Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
FE is in the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeah, and all the FE cards will be the same price, with the same blower cooler design as shown on nvidia's website.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The fe looks like it was designed by someone who really wants to have sex with a stealth bomber.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Cards are popping up at least once an hour for purchase now.

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080/

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

kuroiXiru posted:

What I've seen people say is that since extra power phases and connectors don't actually make a difference re: overclocking the card, you should just look for a 1080 that

a) has a good cooler, and/or
b) looks good.

ijyt posted:

Most third party 1080s at FE prices and above have faster base clocks (resulting in 2-10fps gain depending on the game), cooler running, and most require more power cables.

Until custom BIOS, all have the same power throttling as the FE, regardless of extra power connectors or phases.

The cheaper actual RRP non-FE 1080's have lovely plastic shroud blowers.

Not sure if that helped. Quite a few videos and reviews have been linked in the past few pages.

I literally don't care about how the card looks, but I just realized FE means 'Founders Edition'. This is my biggest issue, I've tried to watch the videos/read reviews, but a good example is this newegg page. I have no idea how to compare an FTW ACX/ACX/ SC ACX and no idea what the acronyms even stand for. Not sure if EVGA, MSI, or ASUS are the ones to watch. I'm pretty sure my power needs are all set, and really don't care how the card looks visually, but I'm hearing reports of 'wait for MSI' or 'wait for ASUS' and I'm not able to understand enough from the review sites to get a good sense about what I'm actually judging between.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

So apparently (according to pcper) the enthusiast key for 3/4 way SLI isn't actually happening, and are going to be supporting benchmarks but not games pretty much.

So that basically leaves ashes (and maybe total warham) supporting explicit multiadapter that can actually use more than two.

Good job!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm in the same boat but from what I understand it's too early to give a conclusive recommendation for any specific situation, a lot of custom cards aren't even out yet. Wait a few weeks for the smoke to clear.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Phlegmish posted:

I'm in the same boat but from what I understand it's too early to give a conclusive recommendation for any specific situation, a lot of custom cards aren't even out yet. Wait a few weeks for the smoke to clear.

Yea, I'm fine waiting up to a month from now to get the card, just hoping someone would know enough to explain what the current differences seem to be. If I need to wait for that information too, so be it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure a lot of the acronyms are meaningless.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Atoramos posted:

Yea, I'm fine waiting up to a month from now to get the card, just hoping someone would know enough to explain what the current differences seem to be. If I need to wait for that information too, so be it.

To give a quick comment, using EVGA as an example.

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+10+Series+Family

Their GTX 1080 is the bare bones, RRP version, same specs as Founders Edition, cheaper cooler.
The ACX 3.0 has the exact same specs, but uses an in-house designed cooler that has better cooling than the base version (and depending on use case, the founders edition).
The SC Gaming is a card with the ACX cooler, with a small factory overclock applied out of the box.
The FTW and Classified versions are the same concept, but with custom board designs and higher factory overclocks, focusing on the enthusiast part of the market.

MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS will all be doing very similar things. Some might have quieter coolers, some might run cooler, some might have bells and whistles like the ASUS Strix letting your GPU control your case fans.

All of the well known reviewers should have comprehensive round-ups of each cards pros and cons against each other some time after the pre-order phase is over.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Guess EVGA and EK got over their squabble.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

LiquidRain posted:

Hey Geemer! Wasnt expecting to see Rainwave used for graphics card testing purposes. :O

How did the baking go?

Well drat, there goes my plan of putting that screenshot on the bug report section to troll you guys. :D

The baking was a success. I'm still gonna buy a new card but at least I don't have to look through green snowstorms anymore.
Asus' DirectCU2 coolers are super easy to remove, just 4 screws and a plug for the fans. There were no heat pads anywhere and really the hardest part of the whole procedure was cleaning the old thermal paste off of the GPU. (I knew I should've stolen a bottle of IPA from work when I still had the chance.)

Popped in the 200°C oven for 10 minutes with some aluminium foil over the plastic bits and a lose cover of aluminium foil a couple of cm above it to shield it from the heating element. No foul vapors or whatnot, still got the oven ventilating itself a bit but I'm not worried about it.

As a bonus, the new ancient thermal paste from 2004 that I stuck in there gives better performance than the old gunk, so it runs much quieter now.
Here's to hoping it'll last long enough.

Thanks for everyone who offered support and tips. :tipshat:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't understand how baking your graphics card helps, I thought overheating your hardware was bad.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Phlegmish posted:

I don't understand how baking your graphics card helps, I thought overheating your hardware was bad.

Something about the solder on the boards being poo poo. 200c slightly melts it and allows it to cover the connections better. I think?

Atoramos posted:

I literally don't care about how the card looks

Anyone else pissed that who ever designed the first GPU's must have had the designs upside down?

It's like, hey do you like my new 980 Ti with it's bells and whistles!? It looks like this! (for eg, I'm waiting to see what the EVGA Classified and MSI Lightning are like)

[edit] I want a backplate with a vinyl wrap of a photo of the front of the card.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 9, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Overheating hardware fries the internals. Baking heats the surface and lets the solder (which has a very low melting point) reflow. Due to fun physics stuff, the solder automatically beads up on the places where it's supposed to.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ak Gara posted:

Something about the solder on the boards being poo poo. 200c slightly melts it and allows it to cover the connections better. I think?

Anyone else pissed that who ever designed the first GPU's must have had the designs upside down?

It's like, hey do you like my new 980 Ti with it's bells and whistles!? It looks like this! (for eg, I'm waiting to see what the EVGA Classified and MSI Lightning are like)

[edit] I want a backplate with a vinyl wrap of a photo of the front of the card.

You can blame ISA for the reason video cards are upside down.

You could also do what i do and get a reverse atx case

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

computers used to be made lying down, so the cards would otherwise be facing the user when opened up or at a right angle

it wasn't until later until people realized towers were more space efficient but nobody bothered to change the orientation of the motherboards wrt where expansion cards would be facing

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

If you had a bad solder joint potentially heating the board could allow the solder to reflow? Honestly though, 200c seems too low for RoHS compliant solder. I think you probably need 220c for the LF solder to reflow. About 185c would have been ok for the old tin-lead solder.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

computers used to be made lying down, so the cards would otherwise be facing the user when opened up or at a right angle

it wasn't until later until people realized towers were more space efficient but nobody bothered to change the orientation of the motherboards wrt where expansion cards would be facing

Not really, They wanted isa and pci slots to be able to share the same space

tijag posted:

If you had a bad solder joint potentially heating the board could allow the solder to reflow? Honestly though, 200c seems too low for RoHS compliant solder. I think you probably need 220c for the LF solder to reflow. About 185c would have been ok for the old tin-lead solder.

Basically this guys whole rant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AcEt073Uds

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I bet the PCB designers had a loving field day with that one

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

ijyt posted:

Yeah, and all the FE cards will be the same price, with the same blower cooler design as shown on nvidia's website.

Over here in :britain: we have different prices for the different brands of FE.

Asus: £650
EVGA/MSI/Gigabyte/Zotac: £636
PNY/Inno3D/Palit: £620

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Now that FTW cards are getting ek waterblocks im tempted to replace my 980ti. I would love to have dual bios on a watercooled card.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Phlegmish posted:

Overheating a chip or circuit with current running through it will cause electricity to go places it's not supposed to or in amounts it's not supposed to, so that destroys things. However, even normal temperature cycles can over time weaken and eventually break solder bonds through repeated expansion and contraction.

If you take the card out and bake it on a sheet without it powered up and running, you can get up to a temperature that will soften solder without being hot enough to destroy other components on the board by just cooking them outright. Once it's cooled back down hopefully the reflowed solder connections will be functional enough to give you a few more months of life.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Atoramos posted:

See this is related to my previous question. I have no idea how to realistically compare the FE to the other 1080s which may be coming out soon. Any specific one I should keep my eye out for? Any good site that will simply compare the upcoming offerings?

Computerbase.de is your best bet, it's in German but Google auto-translate is good enough that you can understand the gist of what they are saying. Other than that you can just read reviews but sample sizes are going to be too small to be useful in the short term. As far as just comparing the FE to third party cards all the third party ones will be better at cooling and quieter so you at least want something basic like the EVGA ACX 3.0, that one is just a FE PCB with EVGA's cooler stuck on top, you want that because the FE throttles itself under load to keep within it's temperature and power targets, because an aftermarket card cools itself better it won't run into this problem.

kuroiXiru posted:

What I've seen people say is that since extra power phases and connectors don't actually make a difference re: overclocking the card, you should just look for a 1080 that

a) has a good cooler, and/or
b) looks good.

This is not quite true, the issue is that it looks like relatively few GP104 chips need extra power to reach their maximum clock speed, however there will be chips that do need extra power and therefore extra cooling to reach their maximum. Whether you get one of these chips is going to be luck of the draw. Also there are rumors that one of the big factors is cooling so water cooled models might be able to reach higher clock speeds if they have a chip that is good enough. If you want a very high OC you will need to wait for the watercooled models and stuff like the MSI Lightning edition which uses heavily binned chips to ensure high overclocking potential.

ijyt posted:

Until custom BIOS, all have the same power throttling as the FE, regardless of extra power connectors or phases.

This is not actually true, for instance the Asus Strix draws an extra 90W, it just looks like unless you happen to have a chip that benefits from extra power that there is little to no benefit from the extra power draw. Custom BIOS will likely help out quite a bit in figuring out how extra voltage affects the GP104 but power targets on the custom PCBs with higher power delivery are definitely higher than the FE power targets.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Tommofork posted:

The fe looks like it was designed by someone who really wants to have sex with a stealth bomber.

It's made out of polygons. In the future, nvidia and AMD will compete on who has the most polygons on their shroud.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Froist posted:

Over here in :britain: we have different prices for the different brands of FE.

Asus: £650
EVGA/MSI/Gigabyte/Zotac: £636
PNY/Inno3D/Palit: £620

No way is ASUS pricing the FE at their Strix price, (yay for accidental discounted pricing).

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=6202798&SID=

in stock right now

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

i put it in my cart .. and then hesitated because it's going to be more than $110 more expensive than that gigabyte g1 preorder I have with Amazon. Maaaaaan, that was hard. :negative:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
BS price, no thanks

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

i put it in my cart .. and then hesitated because it's going to be more than $110 more expensive than that gigabyte g1 preorder I have with Amazon. Maaaaaan, that was hard. :negative:

This was basically my exact thoughts, but with an EVGA FTW on preorder instead.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1% cashback with ebates makes it worthwhile

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Done credit cards offer a program where I'd you buy a thing online and it pops up for cheaper they refund you the difference...

I happen to have one of these... tempting

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Massasoit posted:

Done credit cards offer a program where I'd you buy a thing online and it pops up for cheaper they refund you the difference...

I happen to have one of these... tempting

Some credits cards do yes, but you should check with yours before making a poor purchase decision.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Not actually getting one, waiting to see how the 1070 shapes up, and I'll probably grab one of those.

I only have a single 60hz 1440p so I do not think a 1080 would be worthwhile.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Massasoit posted:

Not actually getting one, waiting to see how the 1070 shapes up, and I'll probably grab one of those.

I only have a single 60hz 1440p so I do not think a 1080 would be worthwhile.

Ehhh so do I, I am undecided. While I was content with an OC 980ti, I feel like I won't be in a year or so (assuming a 1070 performs nearly the same)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Ehhh so do I, I am undecided. While I was content with an OC 980ti, I feel like I won't be in a year or so (assuming a 1070 performs nearly the same)

Hold the 980 Ti, spend slightly more than a 1080 costs on a 1080 Ti, getting considerably more performance for less money per year. Don't do the equivalent of finding yourself now with a 980 you paid release price for in your case.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Man MSI is really jacking the price of their offering. That sucks. I really like my MSI 970 and wanted to get a 1070...

At least EVGA and hopefully others are going by the MSRP or close to it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pro tip never do fine detail work like this in a carpeted area. Had the innards of a lens shutter try to escape once.

For more complex projects, a 28-compartment pill planner is a great way to store small parts. Also, video yourself disassembling it and putting the parts in the planner. Then you can figure out how it all originally went together.

Yep, and the one time I used a goofy "lifehack" was when I used old t-shirt fabric over the end of a vacuum hose to suck up small things on carpet without them going into the tube/bag :eng101: Happened a couple times with old laptops, I'm really not fond of those itty bitty screws, especially when they're all different length/diameter and have to go back into very specific spots :argh:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Considering a new monitor; seems like some of the more affordable ones with the specs I want have FreeSync, but GSync ones tend to be a fair bit more.
If I get a 1070 for example, is FreeSync basically a non-feature? Or is it supported in some capacity for GTX cards?
edit: my understanding is currently "it will do nothing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Yep, and the one time I used a goofy "lifehack" was when I used old t-shirt fabric over the end of a vacuum hose to suck up small things on carpet without them going into the tube/bag :eng101: Happened a couple times with old laptops, I'm really not fond of those itty bitty screws, especially when they're all different length/diameter and have to go back into very specific spots :argh:

I tend to lay out all the screws I remove in the approximate shape of where they came from for this very purpose. Sure, it practically doubles the amount of space you need, but at least you know which screw goes where and are less likely to end up with leftover screws.

Update on the GPU: 3D applications are still a no-go, but general web browsing and video watching is fine at least.