Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Nemo posted:

lol, you are so far down the rabbit hole that you think moving a folder involves a command line.

no, that's much easier with an icon and mouse, what are you talking about??

I said using a command line to "change directory" (aka one of the "easy" basic unix commands the guy i quoted was talking about) is a completely alien concept to people and is contrary to everything they know about modern computers.

the fact that you think "change directory" means moving a folder just further backs this up.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm saying that SV is something like 90% nerd references and not talking about them in this thread is like not talking about how lovely BBT is in the BBT thread(bazinga!).

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Last Chance posted:

the fact that you think "change directory" means moving a folder just further backs this up.

I just looked this up. I wasn't going to make fun of him because moving folders does sound simple, but after seeing what it involves Holy syhhhiitttt :lol:

GET OUT AND MEET REAL PEOPLE PLEASE YOU ARE TERRIBLE AT IT SOLTUIONS

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

waitwhatno posted:

I'm saying that SV is something like 90% nerd references and not talking about them in this thread is like not talking about how lovely BBT is in the BBT thread(bazinga!).

And exactly 74.3% of those nerd references are about real life technology companies like Slack and Clinkle which some people feel like conversing about and some people who are not in the real life tech industry might not "get" without further discussion

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Basically PP should be simple and adorable like https://tinypng.com and oh hey, they have an api if you need advanced use.

They also need the panda.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Dave posted:

Basically PP should be simple and adorable like https://tinypng.com and oh hey, they have an api if you need advanced use.

What do you have against the current mascot? It's a homeless street musician that abducts children at night and makes them disappear. :3:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Mandingo posted:

Oh new posts. Clicks thread. More stuff not about the show.

I was against it before, but loving close the thread until Sunday please.

It's a nerdy show about nerd stuff and you expected to not see nerd stuff in the thread?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

The Dave posted:

Yes, exactly a select file option or a drop file here option.

No need to change the directory from where PP is working or something like that, if that's even what the other guy was talking about.

But still, no need to even start talking about Unix, any UX that needs you to write a command would be a failure with 95% of the gen pop.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Nemo posted:

Yes, exactly a select file option or a drop file here option.

No need to change the directory from where PP is working or something like that, if that's even what the other guy was talking about.

But still, no need to even start talking about Unix, any UX that needs you to write a command would be a failure with 95% of the gen pop.

Exactly what I was saying. i don't know how i got lumped into beign the guy suggesting unix commands because thats not what i was saying

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 9, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

It's a nerdy show about nerd stuff and you expected to not see nerd stuff in the thread?

I really don't see what non-nerds get out of the show, I have to explain to my wife a bunch of the jokes and references. I'm really happy there's a comedy show on TV that's aimed at tech people. As opposed to shows like big bang theory who are for people who hate nerds or who call themselves nerds because they spend all day on facebook.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's not really for "tech people." Tech people just like hearing poo poo they know about being mentioned on a show and then sperge about it for week while not discussing the "show" itself because it's very straight forward and there's not a lot to discuss about it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

ElCondemn posted:

I really don't see what non-nerds get out of the show, I have to explain to my wife a bunch of the jokes and references. I'm really happy there's a comedy show on TV that's aimed at tech people. As opposed to shows like big bang theory who are for people who hate nerds or who call themselves nerds because they spend all day on facebook.

I'm not a tech person and I enjoy the hell out of the show. Most of the jokes make sense to people who have sat in front of a computer and know what hard drives are. You don't have to be an experienced software engineer to get the jokes. Most of the discussion in this thread is grade A autistic bullshit, though

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ElCondemn posted:

There are maybe one or two esoteric jokes per episode. It's not written in some sort of secret tech nerd code. You don't have to explain why standing up to your boss in front of two horses loving or a monotone satanist insulting his roommates are funny things.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We're just not getting the "full humor" of one off mentions of specific software. I guess you could say it works on different levels, but it really doesn't. The humor of "how is Slack a thing?!" is funny if you know what Slack is or not.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's not really for "tech people." Tech people just like hearing poo poo they know about being mentioned on a show and then sperge about it for week while not discussing the "show" itself because it's very straight forward and there's not a lot to discuss about it.

You're not wrong. It's cool that there's a show that is completely relatable to my day to day work and can make jokes about with my coworkers and we all get it.

Solice Kirsk posted:

We're just not getting the "full humor" of one off mentions of specific software. I guess you could say it works on different levels, but it really doesn't. The humor of "how is Slack a thing?!" is funny if you know what Slack is or not.

The parallels to real life are off the charts, and I like that.

https://backchannel.com/who-are-the-real-life-models-of-silicon-valley-characters-we-have-them-3507bc890d9a#.w2e257vu3

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 9, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I'm talking about the show overall, not the specific scene about Slack. Though I don't see how that line would have been funny to anyone who doesn't know what Slack is. She just said "I passed on Slack" and that means nothing to anyone not in the field.

I'm mostly talking about how poo poo like the whole episode around code formatting, the stuff that people in this thread don't enjoy talking about.

edit: I'd also like to point out, it does work on another level for people in the industry. To the people that enjoy it because they like watching horses gently caress it's a different show I'm sure, but to me I've met a lot of people just like that. I've had conversations with marketing people that mirror the show exactly. There are lots of things in the show that are extremely on point.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 9, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

She just said "I passed on Slack" and that means nothing to anyone not in the field.

There goes IT again acting like they know what they're talking about.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/01/slack-raises-200-million-at-3-8-billion-valuation/

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-canceled-8-billion-slack-bid-due-to-bill-gates-and-satya-nadella-pushback-2016-3

If you follow business at all then you've heard about Slack just via how much money they've been worth lately. IT WAS A BUSINESS JOKE NOT AN IT JOKE YOU loving NERD

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Veskit posted:

http://fortune.com/2016/04/01/slack-raises-200-million-at-3-8-billion-valuation/

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-canceled-8-billion-slack-bid-due-to-bill-gates-and-satya-nadella-pushback-2016-3

If you follow business at all then you've heard about Slack just via how much money they've been worth lately. IT WAS A BUSINESS JOKE NOT AN IT JOKE YOU loving NERD

We get it. You're some sort of middle managment weirdo who looks down on IT people.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Veskit posted:

are you okay?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

We get it. You're some sort of middle managment weirdo who looks down on IT people.

Looks down?

Last Chance posted:

are you okay?

Always

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Veskit posted:

You've really shown me that a "cloud collaboration software company" isn't a tech thing... :smug:

I guess I'll just be a NERD about it, it hurts so much!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

ElCondemn posted:

I'm talking about the show overall, not the specific scene about Slack. Though I don't see how that line would have been funny to anyone who doesn't know what Slack is. She just said "I passed on Slack" and that means nothing to anyone not in the field.

I'm mostly talking about how poo poo like the whole episode around code formatting, the stuff that people in this thread don't enjoy talking about.

We use context clues and basic common sense to get the joke. Like, when she says "I passed on Slack", I got the joke, even though I don't know what language it is coded in, or the intricacies of IRC protocol. I got the joke because I had heard of Slack in the past, and understood the punchline was that she had passed on a very successful company. And that other episode was not about code formatting. That was just the minor, dumb topic that drove the joke of Richard being an OCD weirdass.

I know it might suck finding out that this show wasn't written specifically for IT nerds, and these jokes are understood by people outside your field :shrug:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

We use context clues and basic common sense to get the joke. Like, when she says "I passed on Slack", I got the joke, even though I don't know what language it is coded in, or the intricacies of IRC protocol. I got the joke because I had heard of Slack in the past, and understood the punchline was that she had passed on a very successful company. And that other episode was not about code formatting. That was just the minor, dumb topic that drove the joke of Richard being an OCD weirdass.

I know it might suck finding out that this show wasn't written specifically for IT nerds, and these jokes are understood by people outside your field :shrug:

You watch a show about tech nerds and you've heard of slack before? Maybe you're the demo for the jokes...

edit: also, maybe to you it was a joke about Richard being an OCD weird rear end, but CLEARLY to a lot of us in this thread it's a contentious point and it's funny that this argument was brought up on a mainstream TV show. It's a different level for us, same with the line about emacs vs vi, it is funny to us in a different way.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 9, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe HBO or Showtime will make a comedy about financial advisors so I can sit in a TVIV thread and talk about the difference between preferred stock vs bonds as an income tool. Then again I probably wouldn't since I'm able to separate my job from my entertainment/personality.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe HBO or Showtime will make a comedy about financial advisors so I can sit in a TVIV thread and talk about the difference between preferred stock vs bonds as an income tool. Then again I probably wouldn't since I'm able to separate my job from my entertainment/personality.

Good for you, I'm sure a lot of finance people would love a show centered around what they do for a living.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And just like this show it wouldn't be written only for finance/banking people to enjoy. Otherwise it would basically be like watching a training video.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

And just like this show it wouldn't be written only for finance/bankers to enjoy. Otherwise it would basically be like watching a training video.

To some people SV is like watching a training video, they don't give a poo poo about this nerd poo poo. If this show were written to appeal to a wide audience it would just be the big bang theory.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

ElCondemn posted:

ElCondemn posted:

edit: also, maybe to you it was a joke about Richard being an OCD weird rear end, but CLEARLY to a lot of us in this thread it's a contentious point and it's funny that this argument was brought up on a mainstream TV show. It's a different level for us, same with the line about emacs vs vi, it is funny to us in a different way.

ew man, stop investing so much of your ego and self-worth into a show. It doesn't make you any less of a brilliant IT technician if people outside your field can also get the jokes.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

You've really shown me that a "cloud collaboration software company" isn't a tech thing... :smug:

I guess I'll just be a NERD about it, it hurts so much!

Tech thing? There's nothing technical you will ever talk about it besides it's a clod collaboration chatroom. It's like saying cell phones are a tech thing that are inaccessible to non technical people.

Also yeah you shouldn't be a nerd it's terrible and bad for you.

ElCondemn posted:

You watch a show about tech nerds and you've heard of slack before? Maybe you're the demo for the jokes...

To bring it up again, the spaces joke was for technical people, Slack, not so much!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nobody in BFC is as insufferable as someone who can code a little bit. Not even a lot, just a little. Also a show about financial advisers could get really loving sad fast :smith:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

ew man, stop investing so much of your ego and self-worth into a show. It doesn't make you any less of a brilliant IT technician if people outside your field can also get the jokes.

Maybe I'm just enjoying the show differently than you guys, it's clear you guys don't seem to like it the same way since you keep asking for the thread to be closed.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

And just like this show it wouldn't be written only for finance/banking people to enjoy.

I should mention that that movie is called office space.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
this is it. this is The Worst Thread on the Something Awful Forums.

surely it can only get better from here. unless someone finds a screencap of richard wearing kneepads under his jeans from the last episode...

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ok, maybe to get some actual discussion about the show, I'm wondering how they're going to end the season. Obviously, there's foreshadowing that the launch isn't going to go as well as Richard thinks it will, but I can't see it being a total clusterfuck. I am actually hoping they finally, and permanently, move HQ to a real office building. They've moved out and back in twice, and they really need to show them making some sort of progress. They can get the Japanese gardener guy back!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I hope this is the last season.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Bird in a Blender posted:

They've moved out and back in twice, and they really need to show them making some sort of progress.

they did at least shut down their servers and migrate to AWS last episode

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I have a weird feeling Big Head is going to wind up with Pied Piper in some capacity by the end of the season. And of course he'll be super rich again somehow. Maybe as another investor? Can't remember if Ravidia or whoever has an exclusive funding deal with them or not.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

Ok, maybe to get some actual discussion about the show, I'm wondering how they're going to end the season. Obviously, there's foreshadowing that the launch isn't going to go as well as Richard thinks it will, but I can't see it being a total clusterfuck. I am actually hoping they finally, and permanently, move HQ to a real office building. They've moved out and back in twice, and they really need to show them making some sort of progress. They can get the Japanese gardener guy back!

If this is anything like what I've experienced in real life, there will be a lot of hype in the company, testers, partners and everyone even tangentially connected to it. But it will be a complete flop, they will se no hype or movement in the public and everyone will be dumbfounded. They've been in a bubble thinking this product launch is the most important thing, thinking people are clamoring to get their hands on it, but everyone will have forgotten about them. The tech awards give them a false sense of importance but because it took more than 2 weeks to go live the media has moved on.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

If this is anything like what I've experienced in real life, there will be a lot of hype in the company, testers, partners and everyone even tangentially connected to it. But it will be a complete flop, they will se no hype or movement in the public and everyone will be dumbfounded. They've been in a bubble thinking this product launch is the most important thing, thinking people are clamoring to get their hands on it, but everyone will have forgotten about them. The tech awards give them a false sense of importance but because it took more than 2 weeks to go live the media has moved on.

This would be great, but I don't know if it will be the case with Hoolie keeping the compression battle in everyone's mind. Maybe if they do a flash forward or something. Still I think it would be hilarious if it did work perfect and just nobody wound up caring about any of it. Like the tech community and blogs are all over it, but the general public gives zero shits and all the middle-out compression companies start to fizzle out.

edit:
And then Richard finally becomes a billionaire by releasing his original mp3 download app!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah I'm still not sure why the average user is supposed to give a poo poo at all if/how their data is compressed. Services like DropBox already exist so I don't know what they'd actually be offering other than more free space.

It seemed like they were on the right track with lossless video streaming.

Now I'm wondering if Monica's complaints were not going to be about the UI but that she uploaded some photos, saw some compression numbers, and didn't know what she was supposed to do with it after that.

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

nooneofconsequence posted:

I hope this is the last season.

It's already been renewed for a fourth season, so we're getting at least one more.

• Locked thread