Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

temple posted:

Griffith was wrong to rape Casca

temple posted:

However, Griffith isn't some big bad guy.
:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

In the end Guts will go completely gray and Griffith will have to use Femto-form. That is when Guts gets the crowd on his side and kicks some hawk of darkness rear end.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Griffith is totally the type to cause his own downfall through ambition and selfish arrogance.

Which obviously means Rickert will ultimately be the one to destroy him.

Turns out the only weakness of the God Hand is a bazooka

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Torquemadras posted:

Griffith is totally the type to cause his own downfall through ambition and selfish arrogance.

Which obviously means Rickert will ultimately be the one to destroy him.

Turns out the only weakness of the God Hand is a bazooka

Rickert is gonna build himself a guymelef from Escaflowne and crush Griffith under his heel.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Griffith has essentially plunged the world into chaos just so he can have his own little perfect snowglobe kingdom.

That's really the dark twist to the whole thing. He's heralded as a savior of the people, a literal messiah recognized even by the church, except all the stuff he's saving the people from was arranged in advance to be there for him to save them from. He's effectively introduced a problem just so he can be the one to show up and solve it, and now that fantasia has become the reality of the waking world, the constant threat of legendary monsters and fairy tale horrors ensures most people wouldn't even dare to dream of a world without him. He's not a hero. He's not a savior. He's not a good man.

He's a con artist.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I never expected to see a Griffith apologist.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
No no no, you have it all wrong. He is a very pretty con artist with gorgeous hair.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I mean, so does any con artist worth their salt.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Chas McGill posted:

I never expected to see a Griffith apologist.

There's a surprising number of them, which is to day that they exist at all. There's tons of art on tumblr of modern day Guts and Griffith going on dates.

I think it's mostly because of his hair.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair Gutz would like the bad boys.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
To be fair, if they save Casca then they can save Griffith too. Guts and Casca will reform him; they'll all go stab the heart and be reborn by the release of spiritual energy. Griffith will sob because he hurt Guts, who will sleep with him to console him. They will start dating and realize they were meant for each other; Casca will be the woman scorned.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Guts is gonna cleave Griffith in twain with his huge sword.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

No, not a sword. It was too big to be called a sword. Massive, thick, heavy, and far too rough.

A slab of raw iron.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It might be more likely that Casca gets her revenge on Griffith by seducing Charlotte, then popping in at the wedding and shouting "I Object!". Charlotte and Casca end up ruling Falconia, Guts and Griffith leave together to have "swordfights".

I think we'll need to come up with some arc names for Miura here.

And go back to seriousposting

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Berserk is badass.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Naup, I don't believe they ever said that. What they did say (DarkHorse translation) includes:
pre:
(The Eclipse, leading to the invocation of doom):
Thou art... the one chosen by the hand of the great god.
... because you had those qualities, [the behelit] fell into your hands.
... you used the behelit to summon us
He will offer all of you as a sacrifice.
All lies within the currents of causality.
(The escape):
We ourselves are not gods, after all.
Or else this too was fated to happen.
Presumably the "great god" is the Idea, because the Idea states "Obeying the will of the essence of human kind, I weave every man's destiny". That implies the destiny of the Godhand, including Griffith's, is set by the Idea, not by the Godhand themselves. That means the Godhand are the effect, not the cause. The Idea goes on to say: "Your desire is my desire as well; your actions themselves shall prove to be suitable for your kind as a whole; may they bring pain or salvation to mankind; do as you will, chosen one".

If Griffith is the human manifestation with the power to carry out the will of man, then the other Godhand seem to be ineffectual rejects, unless their sole purpose (prescribed by the Idea) is to be the representation of evil that Griffith is meant to destroy.

Most of this is off canon, though. If we're absent c83, we seem limited to a Godhand that believes it can basically predict causality (with few exceptions), but otherwise it had to wait 216 years for Griffith. The Godhand seems only to attempt minimal manifestation in the dark corners of the world, and, from what we've seen, limits such torture to Guts. I'd buy that Slan may have "helped" the trolls and such, but there's no evidence that they impact individual circumstances.

Unless I'm forgetting some other conversation from the source material, the Godhand don't seem to 'do' very much except act as the gatekeepers to apostlehood.

I think we can count c83 as canon because Miura omitted it for "giving away too much of the story" implying that it will eventually make an appearance of some importance anyway, he just regretted making it known too early. Still, I think it's fair to say that the God Hand do more than simply show up at apostle transformations since we see them manifest in the human world on and off. The Idea just throws a wrench into any understanding of the God Hand though, since the Idea was created from human desires, and the God Hand were human at one point, so at one point their desires influenced the Idea...I think we're at the point where we don't really have enough info about either the Idea of the God Hand to say who is influencing who.

The big picture, as I see it, was to weaken Midland from every angle, so that Ganishka would lead the Kushan invasion to take advantage of their vulnerability, so that Femto/Griffith could take advantage of Ganishka and be seen as the savior of mankind. Conrad in some way directed the plague rats to spread fear and death among the commoners that were inevitably shephearded to the tower of conviction in order to allow Griffith to reborn into a human body, Slan implicitly engineered the outbreak of pagan cults and the trolls, as people have guessed. Due to Void's assumed connection with previously being some kind of holy man, you can argue that he manipulated the church and people involved with it both bring people to the tower of conviction and to spread the dream of the savior white hawk shared by every midlander. If not Void or Femto himself, something is causing everyone to dream of a white hawk that is conveniently condoned by the Church. Ubik is left out but we don't really know much about him anyway.

I think the problem we're facing is that in post-Eclipse berserk, Miura wanted to take the focus off that godhand and put it more on humans in order to build up the world that Berserk takes place in. The consequence is that there's a blurred line between what the God Hand could have plausibly caused and what is simply the choices made by humans. Now what that says about human morality is certainly interesting, but it also means we can't definitively draw out cause and effect because it is so intentionally blurred. Going back to the plague, there's a conversation about how it was really caused by men cutting down a forest and forcing rats to look for shelter in human villages, spreading the plague where it normally wouldn't have reached.

tl;dr can we really say anything about the interactions between the God Hand and Idea of Evil when so little about them is said or even shown since the eclipse? All we know is that Femto is dick.

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

To me Ubik seems like the most likely Godhand to manipulate people with dreams.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
That would make sense, since we've already seen him do that with Griffith. Either way it seems like the God Hand do have some ability to manipulate the events of Earth, but whether they're acting according to their own agenda or the Idea's is difficult to see. And Femto continues to stand apart from the rest, he followed his dreams and got a giant city to command, why aren't the other members pursuing their dreams at all cost?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Angrymantium posted:

That would make sense, since we've already seen him do that with Griffith. Either way it seems like the God Hand do have some ability to manipulate the events of Earth, but whether they're acting according to their own agenda or the Idea's is difficult to see. And Femto continues to stand apart from the rest, he followed his dreams and got a giant city to command, why aren't the other members pursuing their dreams at all cost?

Maybe they are? Griffith causing the world transformation lets them interfere more directly with the physical world. We don't know what the dreams and aspirations of the other members of the God Hand are. Maybe Slann is off somewhere ruining a bigger pagan sex cult. Maybe Void is going top show up and become the new pope. I imagine that the speech that the Idea gave Griffith is just the standard welcome for new God Hands.

It would be interesting if Guts and co. ran into one of them on their way to fight Griffith.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Begemot posted:

Maybe they are? Griffith causing the world transformation lets them interfere more directly with the physical world. We don't know what the dreams and aspirations of the other members of the God Hand are. Maybe Slann is off somewhere ruining a bigger pagan sex cult. Maybe Void is going top show up and become the new pope. I imagine that the speech that the Idea gave Griffith is just the standard welcome for new God Hands.

It would be interesting if Guts and co. ran into one of them on their way to fight Griffith.

I think the story will definitely go that way, I just meant that we haven't seen any indication of what the other God Hand members ultimately want beyond more blood for their apostles to lap up. Does Slan want to start a giant sex cult or does she act through the will of the Idea of Evil? That's more what I was getting at, since Phantom of the Copier brought up the question of why they act. I think it's possible that information is being withheld from Femto by the other members of the God Hand, since it seems like he's getting everything he ever dreamed of, and so far we haven't seen the dreams of any other members. If giving Femto a city to lord over helps them get what they want, they might be directly setting him up to fail, or be subsumed by a physical manifestation of the Idea of Evil.

edit: I think a lot of Griffith/Femto's motivations hinge on being at the top, and yet as the newest God Hand member it's clear that he more or less never will be, since he might just end up answering to the wishes of the Idea of Evil. Since he has been the most visible I just think that he's still being used, but whether the other members are or not is a question that won't be answered until we either know more about them or the IoE.

Angrymantium fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 31, 2016

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I was just trying to think about their motivations a bit in order to envision what role they might play in the endgame.

Here are two interesting finds: "The Black Swordsman, the one who's destroyed so many apostles of the godhand... you should consider him a hated enemy!" "Enemy?" (There are a few non-translated sounds effects from the other godhand at that point.)

Also during the flashback of the count's story for Theresia, only four godhand are shown, suggesting that Griffith wasn't there via time travel. Of course, the story can change and the flashback could be a lie, but Miura doesn't seem to do much of that.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...theme-announced

"This summer's Berserk anime has introduced Nagi Yanagi (Bakemonogatari, Jormungand) as the end theme performer for the new TV anime adaptation of Kentaro Miura's fantasy horror manga.

Her "Meimoku no Kanata (Beyond the Nominal)" will be release August 31st.

A schedule for the series July 8th debut on MBS, TBS and CBC has also been listed.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Griffith shoulda been made the Fuhrer of Midland when he was a regular dude. The world deserved Femto when his ambition was frustrated.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

http://manganewsjapon.com/2016/06/09/reprise-de-berserk-le-24-juin/

So word is the manga's coming back this month on the 24th of June, and we're looking at monthly chapters from now on... for as long as that lasts

The nightmare is over. Again. Temporarily.

Vedius Pollio fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 9, 2016

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Yessssssss

Maybe this'll be the series of chapters where the Elf King actually appears. I don't know how, but I bet it's gonna be incomprehensible, otherworldly and awesome.

Alternatively, a joke character.

Oh dear fuckin god I hope he's not a joke character

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Puck: It's me Guts! It was me all along, Guts!

Isidro: Aw, sonuvabitch!
Ivalera: WHAT?

Puck: You all bought it, hook, line and sinker! Even that old granny in the woods bought it.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Torquemadras posted:

I always thought he would be :smugdon:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Torquemadras posted:

Yessssssss

Maybe this'll be the series of chapters where the Elf King actually appears. I don't know how, but I bet it's gonna be incomprehensible, otherworldly and awesome.

Alternatively, a joke character.

Isn't he that kid with the long hair that traveled with them for a while? I remember a page of him like flying in front of the moon while Schierke talked about the elf king.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Begemot posted:

Isn't he that kid with the long hair that traveled with them for a while? I remember a page of him like flying in front of the moon while Schierke talked about the elf king.

Huh. I thought that were reincarnation shenanigans with Guts' and Casca's supernatural kid. Or... why not both? Through God Hand-induced time fuckery, the kid became the Elf King while it had already ruled for thousands of years!

The real Elf King was in our hearts all along :monocle:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Torquemadras posted:

Huh. I thought that were reincarnation shenanigans with Guts' and Casca's supernatural kid.
Yes, that was my recollection of him role as well. I think we've had this debate in this thread before.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They never specifically explained what that kid is, but I think we mostly reached a consensus that it was probably their gross mutant baby. Though I seem to recall someone doing an effort post about how it was Griffith losing control of his body on nights of the full moon? They backed it up with panels so it was kind of convincing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Serious Frolicking posted:

They never specifically explained what that kid is, but I think we mostly reached a consensus that it was probably their gross mutant baby. Though I seem to recall someone doing an effort post about how it was Griffith losing control of his body on nights of the full moon? They backed it up with panels so it was kind of convincing.

Yeah, the theory ran that it's Griffith turning back into Guts and Casca's kid during the full moon, and Zodd is following the kid around to make sure he doesn't get killed before he can turn back into Griffith

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Vedius Pollio posted:

http://manganewsjapon.com/2016/06/09/reprise-de-berserk-le-24-juin/

So word is the manga's coming back this month on the 24th of June, and we're looking at monthly chapters from now on... for as long as that lasts

The nightmare is over. Again. Temporarily.

Calling it - we get three months of regular chapters before it ends with another "Berserk will return again soon!" type message

Laputanmachine posted:

Puck: It's me Guts! It was me all along, Guts!

Isidro: Aw, sonuvabitch!
Ivalera: WHAT?

Puck: You all bought it, hook, line and sinker! Even that old granny in the woods bought it.

lol

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Awesome Welles posted:

Calling it - we get three months of regular chapters before it ends with another "Berserk will return again soon!" type message

lol

Im expecting puck to be of someone of import within elfhiem but I dont think he will be the king, with all this talk of fate and causality specially the skull knights reaction to puck its just too on the nose for him to be a random fairy.

Though i would prefer him to just be a random fairy honestly.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
He pissed on a seagull

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Zasze posted:

... specially the skull knights reaction to puck its just too on the nose for him to be a random fairy.
Reference please. Which reaction?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
When they finally get there all they see is carnage of random rear end monsters raising loving hell in Elfhiem whilst the remaining human population around the area have taken to the king for sanctuary. They don't get to meet him though as it doesn't take long for Griffith's forces to arive because no place that isn't Falconia's going to be safe or left standing. King dies when you see him and tells puck to stop being such a deadbeat son and take up the throne like he should have all those years ago.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

Third PV for the anime is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih2-9HwHlpw&feature=share

Yikes.

Vedius Pollio fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
So that's scenes from volume 2 definitely confirmed. I like that we're seeing this animated but I, uh, get a feeling so complicated about how this animation is achieved...