Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One man, one truck companies is also efficient union busting. Since they are contractors and not employees, they have zero rights and can be fired on the spot. Need a day off to take your truck to the shop and have it repaired properly? Don't bother coming back.

PS that thread title made me, a grown man, as proud as when I won a prize at the national day fair as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

literally a fish posted:

Yay, tax fuckery!
If the tax laws weren't meant to be abused they wouldn't be written in a way that allows for so many loopholes. :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Collateral Damage posted:

If the tax laws weren't meant to be abused they wouldn't be written in a way that allows for so many loopholes. :colbert:

This, but unironically.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Ola posted:

One man, one truck companies is also efficient union busting. Since they are contractors and not employees, they have zero rights and can be fired on the spot. Need a day off to take your truck to the shop and have it repaired properly? Don't bother coming back.

PS that thread title made me, a grown man, as proud as when I won a prize at the national day fair as a kid.

I don't think that is what's going on here, his truck has been down for a week or so a few times for serious mechanical overhauls and he's still working for the same place. He fired it up to warm up for a run one morning a few years back and came back outside to the sound of it pounding a piston and connecting rod into the cylinder head, for example. Mechanical failures happen, it's just a fact of life sometimes.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

That single-person-company trick used to be pretty commonly used by lawyers and accountants in the UK. Then software developers worked it out, and suddenly the rules got changed and it's (mostly) banned now. You're not counted as self employed if you do more than (IIRC) 80% of your business with one company.

No idea how truckers over here normally organise themselves.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kastein posted:

I don't think that is what's going on here

Probably not in that specific case, I concede. But making people :airquote: run their own business :airquote: instead of being employees is a common trick for shifting the risk, responsibility and cost of the owner over on the worker. Happens even here in Soviet Norway.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

This is basically the core of the Uber controversies as well, isn't it?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

literally a fish posted:

It skirts having to pay income tax on buying stuff for her too (and just in general) - as an employee she can just be given a company chargecard (company buys things) rather than being paid a salary then having to use that to buy stuff, and her "salary" can be $1 less than what you'd have to pay income tax on - it's a fairly common thing to do for small businesses like this in :australia: at least.

Afaik here in Germany the tax authorities are really anal about what counts towards income, in terms of gifts or "deprecated" equipment etc. Or my employer's are just really careful.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Computer viking posted:

This is basically the core of the Uber controversies as well, isn't it?
It's one way of looking at the relationship between Uber and its drivers. In theory a key difference is that Uber drivers are casual, in that they can choose to work wherever and whenever they want, Uber doesn't assign them territory or hours or require them to work a certain number of hours per week, which overall are elements of control and oversight that form an employer-employee relationship. From another perspective, someone who supports their family driving for Uber and who gets their account closed unexpectedly is probably going to feel very much like they lost their employment, and it will have similar consequences on their life. From a public policy perspective, we can't have companies taking advantage of employees by reclassifying them as independent contractors, but the casual service model pioneered by Uber offers extremely compelling efficiency benefits to both users and providers so it's probably not best to just ban it.

I would say that the core of the Uber (and other "sharing economy" services) controversy is that they don't neatly fit into any existing regulatory paradigms, and how an individual participant in those platforms is best classed can depend on their choices of how they use the platform. When you consider the influence of Taxi companies and other rent-seekers that don't want their monopolies hosed up, you will get endlessly dueling think-pieces with an ulterior motive.

E: I hope this was a decent answer without going too D&D or injecting my own opinions.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 9, 2016

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Ola posted:

trucks breakdown as a matter of course, sick days are necessary, etc. there is such a shortage of drivers(especially drivers with clean records) that anyone with a cdl a is not wanting for work. in fact, we often import people from other countries to drive trucks for us. the independent contractor o/o paradigm is more about controlling risk and cost. if there is no work, then there is no associated labor cost. in turn the company has less control over their actions. they cant dictate a route or set start times, only pickup/delivery appointments.

that being said, drivers in some areas of the country(namely los angeles/long beach and ny/nj) are agitating for a change in employment classification. this is partly due to the inefficiencies of pulling containers out of the ports. drivers often sit in hour long lines or spend hours in the port waiting for a container to be mounted and, since they are paid by the trip, are losing money as a result.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I can't imagine being a trucker in LA/LB. gently caress. That. Noise.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

To get things back on track here's a wheel I probably broke at our last race when I took an optional grass shortcut.

Still held air fine and if it was actually me that broke it that wheel was on the car for another five hours of racing :stonklol:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

To get things back on track here's a wheel I probably broke at our last race when I took an optional grass shortcut.

Still held air fine and if it was actually me that broke it that wheel was on the car for another five hours of racing :stonklol:

:stare:

Grass and what? That is a shitload of damage for grass. How did the undercarriage fare in this little shortcut escapade? Or did you manage to find the one well placed rock in said grass?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

H110Hawk posted:

:stare:

Grass and what? That is a shitload of damage for grass. How did the undercarriage fare in this little shortcut escapade? Or did you manage to find the one well placed rock in said grass?

Grass, curbing/rumble strip at the edge of the track and the edge of the track itself getting back on. Ran wide at a corner then ran in the grass for a while before coming back on.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Apparently what works on cars doesn't always work on mining trucks:

Before these incidents are cleaned up, companies should fly people who were busted for cardinal safety rule violations to these places and parade them by before they filter into some other job and get people killed. Lots of dead people have prior horrible violations.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Saw this out & about today. Scion tC vs. Dodge Calibur (Pacifica?)? :fuckoff:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Before these incidents are cleaned up, companies should fly people who were busted for cardinal safety rule violations to these places and parade them by before they filter into some other job and get people killed. Lots of dead people have prior horrible violations.

I heard second hand that a RAF maintenance guy got killed when working on a plane because he didn't bother to fit the mechanical lock-outs that prevented the ejector seat mechanism from going 'bang' while he was working in the cockpit.

The senior officer had the entire ground crew form up on parade and each one had to view the scene before they shoveled the bits away.

Probably apocryphal, but it always stuck in my mind as a good way to drive home a point.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
friend of mine in Saskatchewan hit a moose at night last week

That's one hell of a close call with hitting a moose

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Moose collisions can be pretti nasti...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TKIY posted:

Moose collisions can be pretti nasti...

They sure kan.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Memento posted:

They sure kan.

We apologize again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Best derail ever.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Moose probably got up, gave the now-totaled car a "whooooa take 'er easy dere baie" look and walked back into the bush

Moose will gently caress your day up right quick.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Pipe will also gently caress your day up right quick.

Don't know much about the circumstances yet but the cab sides are both buckled with visible distortion right up to the B pillar. Driver's okay.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 12, 2016

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Failed to get a picture, but today I got stuck behind an 80s Range Rover doing 65 on the 610 loop and pouring this James Bond-esque smokescreen behind him as he puttered along. The driver seemed utterly unconcerned.

I assumed it was electrical.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Propaganda Bob posted:

Failed to get a picture, but today I got stuck behind an 80s Range Rover doing 65 on the 610 loop and pouring this James Bond-esque smokescreen behind him as he puttered along. The driver seemed utterly unconcerned.

I assumed it was electrical.

It was coolant.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cursedshitbox posted:

It was coolant.

Land Rover, not Volkswagen

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Enourmo posted:

I would trust him.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Enourmo posted:

Like he said, it was coolant.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Enourmo posted:

VW would be coolant, too. It would just be dripping out of the tail lights instead.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VW built their reputation on cars without coolant, so maybe adding it in is where they went wrong.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

xzzy posted:

VW built their reputation on cars without coolant, so maybe adding it in is where they went wrong.

Quoting this because never have a I read a more correct statement.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

xzzy posted:

Indeed.

Great Moments in Crappy Engine History: Volkswagen Wasserboxer
http://www.sub5zero.com/great-moments-crappy-engine-history-volkswagen-wasserboxer-w-video/

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Vanagoon posted:

Indeed.

Great Moments in Crappy Engine History: Volkswagen Wasserboxer
http://www.sub5zero.com/great-moments-crappy-engine-history-volkswagen-wasserboxer-w-video/

From the picture it doesn't even look based on the more robust Type 4 engine, instead a Type 1 that they added a water jacket to (like, literally just added it).

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
More of a future mechanical failure, but there is a local guy who decided he needs to cool the rotors on his fiesta at autocross. So he sprays them with a water after every run.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 20, 2016

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Crustashio posted:

More of a future mechanical failure, but there is a local guy who decided he needs to cool the rotors on his fiesta at autocross. So he sprays them with a water after every run.

Group B had total-loss water cooled disc brakes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Group B also didn't care so much about cracking rotors or consumables as a whole, really.

They also would've been running much hotter brake temps than a Fiesta running through a parking lot for a minute.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
And they probably at least set it up so it got both sides of the disc in an even manner. I also have no doubts that he will do it on lapping days as well where the thermal shock will be much higher.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Geirskogul posted:

From the picture it doesn't even look based on the more robust Type 4 engine, instead a Type 1 that they added a water jacket to (like, literally just added it).

The water cooling is basically just tacked on. The heads are "sealed" to the water jacket by what amounts to a big O-ring.

In a pressurized, water cooled engine this means that the coolant doesn't want to stay in the engine as the seal ages.

VW offers this special black water jacket seal glue just for this engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Would have been a cool idea if it had worked. Retrofitting is fun!