Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

The Butcher posted:

Lol the top rated one contained the line "Harper was right."

That's got a real nice ring to it... :godwin:

Harper did nothing wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

The CBC posted:

Although the decals have been on London Police Service cruisers for at least nine years, a recent Facebook post about Arabic writing on patrol car has resulted in many angry phone calls from Americans upset over the apparent "Islamization of Canada." The post was picked up by a conservative American blog site that also published the phone number for London police.

"Headquarters has been getting calls like crazy," Const. Sandasha Bough said. "Some of them are being patched up to me and people are just screaming at me."

Using figures from Statistics Canada, officials selected the most
frequently used languages for the stickers, including Vietnamese,
Chinese, Persian and Polish. (London Police Service)

Bough couldn't provide specifics on how many calls have come in, but said they've remained steady throughout the day Friday.

On May 30, a Facebook user from Quebec posted a photo showing Arabic writing on a London patrol car. The post included the statement: "So it starts. The little toes in the door already." The poster also asks the question: "Why is this acceptable?"

The writer also questioned why "police" is not spelled out in French, even though both French and English spell the word exactly the same.

:allears:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I feel bad for the desk sergeant, for once. Tons and tons of Americans calling to just scream at you. Why can't they just leave us alone :smith:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Why do people get so whiny over languages, of all the stupid things? And on a police car, something that it's very important for everyone to be able to identify?

Also, why don't these stupid loving assholes realize that there are Christians, Baha'i, Atheists, etc. who use Arabic or languages that use Arabic script? They probably are far more exposed, on a worldwide basis, to the actual threat of "Islamisation" (the imposition of theocracy or theocratic elements) than anyone in London loving Ontario.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 9, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

Why do people get so whiny over languages, of all the stupid things? And on a police car, something that it's very important for everyone to be able to identify?

Racism.

More to the point: the fear that the other is becoming acceptable in society while not accepting that the other may not be as deviant as perceived.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

PT6A posted:

And on a police car, something that it's very important for everyone to be able to identify?

You don't need text to identify police cars, just listen for the sound of your civil rights being crushed in so many pieces.

e: Or look for hot pink camo pants. :haw:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao this is the best CBC story I've read in years.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
As someone who lives in London I'm just shocked the calls aren't coming from inside the city

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

ghosthorse posted:

As someone who lives in London I'm just shocked the calls aren't coming from inside the city

I'm so happy the Free Press got rid of comments on their articles.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I find it really weird that people are afraid of other cultures to such a degree.

Oh, no, other people speak different languages, this is an assault against my way of life.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

ghosthorse posted:

As a fellow Londoner, I too am surprised. This city is crazy racist.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Dr. Stab posted:

I find it really weird that people are afraid of other cultures to such a degree.

Oh, no, other people speak different languages, this is an assault against my way of life.

This is a really reductive analysis so take it with a grain of salt, but in essence humans want to believe they have high social standing. In a society where your social standing is mostly determined by money the great mass of ordinary people who don't have all that much money will end up seeking out other ways to feel good about themselves. In some social venues that could be as innocent as wearing the right outfit, listening to the correct music or getting the high score in some online game. Historically, for very large groups of people, race and gender have been two axes upon which you can locate yourself and find some additional sense of dignity or even power.

The last 40 or so years have simultaneously devalued white male heterosexuality and also removed a lot of the decent paying jobs. You can see the impact of this everywhere: so much of North America, from smalltown Ontario down to the Florida everglades, is economically backward and destitute once you leave the large urban areas or a couple sheltered enclaves. The infrastructure is crumbling, the jobs are gone, the people are aging, addicted to painkillers and terrified of the cultural changes happening around them.

Not only do I not find it hard to understand why these people flip out over stupid symbolic poo poo, I'm honestly surprised they aren't more violent about it. The 1970s had way more severe social unrest than we did (and I'm talking violence from middle class whites, not race riots that are sort of understandable within the context of a white supremacist society). I don't think people fully appreciate how much less violent North America is despite having some pretty dire social indicators. I mean, poo poo, white Americans with working class incomes have suffered a decline in living standards (and actual live expectancy) so severe that the only equivalents are either nations engaged in major wars or 1990s post-Soviet Russia.

If anything people should be relieved that racists are reaching for their phones instead of their guns.

ghosthorse posted:

You can have a shitload of racist people but outside of the occasional spontaneous event what tends to produce results is organizing. In this case there was concerted action to mobilize people around a specific issue, which produced this result.

The same is true for lots of different issues on both the right and the left. Huge numbers of atomized individuals out there in society may feel passionately about something but the real question is who has the resources, time, energy and strategy to actually turn a mass of random people with opinions into an actual political force.

This is a very minor low-investment example. All you need is a radio station and a bunch of racist hicks. But it's still worthwhile to keep in mind that, ceteris paribus, what drives political action isn't how people feel, but rather how they are organized.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
What's stopping people from resorting to violent unrest is a drastic decrease in lead exposure and also an increased exposure to candy crush.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Good stuff

quote:

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne thinks Hillary Clinton would make a great U.S. president, and she hopes that over the course of the election campaign, gender-based attacks will diminish.

In an interview with The Canadian Press, Wynne says she has met Clinton and thinks she is a smart and capable woman.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ikantski posted:

Good stuff

One war criminal to another.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

cowofwar posted:

What's stopping people from resorting to violent unrest is a drastic decrease in lead exposure and also an increased exposure to candy crush.

On top of that, it bothers people less when 10 cents is taken from them than when they lose 1 dollar.

Why do you think our global population was allowed to grow at such an unchecked rate?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Haven't seen this here yet, apparently the South African firefighters who were flown in to fight the Alberta fires are being paid a pittance for it.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmonton/south-africa-alberta-firefighters-wages-1.3623422

quote:

Bitiro Moseki, one of the firefighters based at a camp north of Fort McMurray, said they are being paid $15 a day.

"It's 15 not even per hour, it's 15 per day," said Moseki.

While that may seem hard to believe, given that Alberta expects to move to a $15-an-hour minimum wage by 2018, a contract thought to be between the firefighters and their employer seems to back up the claim.

The Alberta government says it made a deal with the South African government for the firefighters' services.

It shows the firefighters signed a contract that stated they would be paid a total of $50 a day, split into two payments.

The contract agrees to pay them $15 a day now, with the balance of $35 a day paid out within six months of their return to South Africa.

Fire crews upset about media reports

Moseki agreed firefighters did sign the contract, but said they have since been unsettled by media reports claiming they're making much more money.

He said news articles quoted the South African government program that employs the crews claiming the workers are making between $15 and $21 an hour.

"We are not here for money, we are here to assist you," said Moseki, adding the firefighters have turned to the South African commissioner in Canada for help to resolve the issue.

The contract does make it clear the money the firefighters are being paid is over and above their home wages, which were not disclosed.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Why is Alberta flying in South Africans from half the planet away when there's plenty of people in Canada who need work? Wouldn't the cost of flying them across the equator and the Atlantic far exceed the "savings" by paying them peanuts?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Brannock posted:

Why is Alberta flying in South Africans from half the planet away when there's plenty of people in Canada who need work? Wouldn't the cost of flying them across the equator and the Atlantic far exceed the "savings" by paying them peanuts?

Would you trust the average Albertan to put out a raging forest fire?

"Just smother it with oil, works to stop all the wildlife from moving!"

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Brannock posted:

I don't think cost savings is the reason for it, and I also doubt there are 'plenty of people' in Canada who are willing, able, and trained to jump into firefighting jobs. Also flights aren't exactly that expensive - looks like ~1400 for Vancouver to Capetown (compared to ~$800 for Vancouver to Ottawa).

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Took a bit to make it's way across the country, I guess. All over my feed now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Falstaff posted:

Haven't seen this here yet, apparently the South African firefighters who were flown in to fight the Alberta fires are being paid a pittance for it.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmonton/south-africa-alberta-firefighters-wages-1.3623422

Ahaha, just let the place burn if that's what it's worth to them.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWb7BkA6Edg

e: oh and he wants to "phase out" the CRTC and let the market deal with the airwaves cool great

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 10, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Falstaff posted:

I'd almost be OK with this (nah I still wouldn't) if it meant Alberta was saving money, but you know that's not what's happening here.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In my experience, people who want to get rid of regulation are usually complete morons or conmen. Sometimes both.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

In my experience, people who want to get rid of regulation are usually complete morons or conmen. Sometimes both.

Its people who stand to gain an extremely large amount of money from it happening.

When it comes to telecom, anyone not in favor of nationalizing the infrastructure is wrong and bad. :colbert:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Nationalize the telecoms :kheldragar:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

When it comes to telecom, anyone not in favor of nationalizing the infrastructure is wrong and bad. :colbert:

:yeah:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

jm20 posted:

Nationalize the telecoms :kheldragar:

Wont happen with any of the 3 major parties we have in charge unfortunately. Our telecom oligopoly invests ludicrous amounts of money and manpower into ensuring they keep the status quo. :(

A man can dream though. :unsmith:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Sooo... we imported slave labour from Africa.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Pixelante posted:

No man they're trained.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pixelante posted:

Hey it's part of our heritage.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

So, bestiality is apparently legal now, as long as you don't put your dick in anything.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/paulmcleod/canadas-supreme-court-just-ruled-some-bestiality-is-legal?utm_term=.lx3BALe0l#.rqqd0WAaZ

quote:

Bestiality is legal in Canada as long as no penetration is involved, according to a shocking Supreme Court of Canada ruling Thursday.

While bestiality is a criminal offence in Canada, the top court ruled the legal definition is much more limited than how it has been interpreted for decades. It all goes back to the 1800s Church of England trying to ban any sex acts that were seen as unnatural.

The crime of bestiality in Canada stems from the old crime of “buggery.” The original definition of buggery meant anal sex with either another human or an animal. Both were forbidden in England, where Canada’s earliest laws came from.

Over the years the Criminal Code of Canada changed but the definition of bestiality was never explicitly expanded. The court found in a 7-1 ruling Thursday that there needs to be penetration involved for an act with an animal to be a criminal offence.

“There is no hint in any of the parliamentary record that any substantive change to the elements of the offence of bestiality was intended,” the Supreme Court ruled.

The case before the Supreme Court involved a man who sexually abused his teenaged stepdaughters. On multiple occasions he forced them to put peanut butter over their genitals so the family dog would lick it off.

The man was convicted of 14 charges, including two counts of bestiality, and sentenced to 18 years imprisonment. The two bestiality charges have now been overturned.

There happens to be a bill before the House of Commons right now from Liberal MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith that would define bestiality as “sexual activity between a person and an animal.”

However, the government has so far opposed Bill C-246, which would also ban shark finning, ban the selling of cat and dog fur, and make it illegal to “brutally or viciously” kill an animal.

Conservative MP Robert Sopuck called it “a Trojan horse that would advance a pure animal rights agenda.”

A government representative said he worries the bill would unintentionally criminalize hunting and fishing.

Erskine-Smith insists his bill is specifically worded to do no such thing. He said the government could amend the bill for even further assurance.

Supreme Court Justice Rosalie Abella was the lone dissenter of Thursday’s decision. She argued that since penetration is physically impossible with many animals, it defies common sense for penetration to be a requirement of the crime.

“Acts with animals that have a sexual purpose are inherently exploitative whether or not penetration occurs,” she wrote.

This gives a whole new meaning to the phrase fourrer le chien. :mmmhmm:

Except that's still illegal.

But seriously, what exactly was the SCOC thinking or trying to accomplish here? I don't know how many cases like this even come up, (and I don't want to know) so perhaps the kind of reprehensible things the convict in the abovementioned case did are rare enough to not warrant legislation, but this seems like an odd choice. It's almost like antiquate rape laws that require penetration.

I guess if the government is working on a bill, that's something.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 9, 2022

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the big question is, does the law distinguish between the animal or the person doing the penetration? and it must only apply to penile penetration right because theres lots of legit veterinary practices that require shoving a hand up in there

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

jsoh posted:

the big question is, does the law distinguish between the animal or the person doing the penetration? and it must only apply to penile penetration right because theres lots of legit veterinary practices that require shoving a hand up in there

I would strongly assume that penetration for medical reasons is different from penetration for sexual reasons under the law. And I should hope forcing an animal to penetrate a person for sexual purposes would count as a crime.

It's just an odd case to come before the court, you know? At least in my opinion. Like, the sticking point was how he made his dog lick peanut butter of his stepdaughters' genitals. Everything else he presumably did was clearly criminal but that particular act wasn't technically bestiality? Of all the things.

But like Drewjitsu said, maybe it was just a case of restricting the law to effectively take it off the books.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Why would we want bestiality off the books? Unless the judges have been spending too much time on furry websites or something. Like I didn't know there was an organized notable activism to make giving your dog cunnilingus legal.

Edit: also Canada's head of state is 90 today. :toot:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the thing is actually probably mostly judges and that guys lawyer coming to realize that theres not effectively a bestiality law on the books, except for one thats hundreds of years old and was trying to criminalize homosexuality

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

And just like that, Bernier locked up the anime watchers' and Wind Mobile users' votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/court-awards-irans-non-diplomatic-assets-in-canada-to-terror-victims-in-13-million-case

This will be a good precedent for all the refugees that have been a victim of Saudi Arabia's terrorism & imperialism in the Middle East to take action themselves. And why stop there, many refugees could make a case for seizing american, russian, israeli assets too.