Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This is essentially what I want every invasion I do to turn into basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf88yWzk5Tg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Genocyber posted:

It looks like it's just a general texture applied over the model, which is also how DS2 did things.

I do want to bring up how, prior to release, Miyazaki mentioned wanting to reach a medium between DS1's never break and DS2's fast break, and the end result is a system where it's even harder to break stuff than ever. Guess he's poo poo at the actual mechanics design bit of game design.

That seems like a wild conclusion to reach dude. My guess is that the way he envisioned it working either didn't play nice with some other more important mechanic or simply wasn't fun or ended up being trivial. I mean this whole discussion of durability systems has illustrated that it's easy and common for games (RPGs especially) to end up with functional, understandable mechanics that don't actually do anything except occasionally waste your time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Basically item durability is just a resource you would manage in combat (i.e. you spend durability to attack), except it's completely redundant since spending resources to attack already exists in games -- whether it's ammo, mana, or stamina. And all of those make an intuitive sense to how gameplay works, and you have options to either regain resources out in the field or simply not use them (i.e. if I run out of mana I can still stab people with my sword). Weapon durability would cover basically the same ground, except in games like this it's just used as a dumb gold sink where you press a button every few hours and flush some money down the drain in order to continue playing, and there's functionally nothing you can do about it.

I remember when Diablo 3 came out. Inferno difficulty was the 4th playthrough you would do for a given character and it was stupidly hard, enemies had massively inflated stat pools and the only way to get gear strong enough to hang in Inferno, was to grind out Inferno. Unless you were playing a Hardcore character, it was pretty much accepted that you would just smash your head into the furthest dungeon you could progress to in Inferno over and over until someone dropped an item that you could either use, or sell on the Auction House for gold so you could straight-up buy an item you needed instead. The only cost for death in Softcore is some of your gear durability, and the repair bill was a single click -- cost of doing business kind of thing (the entirety of character progression at max level was your gold income for buying the gear you needed). The boneheads running the game at the time realized that this was a pretty degenerative and asinine way to play the game -- die over and over until you get the gear you need. Rather than fixing it so that you could get the gear you needed to clear Dungeon X prior to Dungeon X, they increased the cost of gear repairs tenfold and made it so that elite enemies would instantly kill you if you didn't kill them within five minutes of aggroing them -- and this was a permanent effect, forcing you to reset the map if you hit the enrage timer on a tough enemy in a bad position. The end result was that you still had to smash your head into the furthest dungeon you could progress to, except it was now entirely possible to run at a net negative if you ran into too many tough enemies.

And even if you didn't die once in your Halls of Agony playthrough, it was far more likely than not that you would have an entire inventory full of loot that was not for your class, and not at a level of quality that you would have needed even if it was your class. Fast forward to today, where now enemies actually drop loot that's tuned just for you, all the time, and lots of gold, and the game is fun to play. You still lose durability when you die, and the cost to repair it is the same as it was back in 1.0 vanilla, only your gold income per hour is orders of magnitude greater, meaning that having your gear break is nothing but a mild nuisance where you teleport back to town, click a button to repair it, and return to the game. Durability is, at best, a slight waste of time.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Attestant posted:

The Fallout 3 (and NV) system mattered for like 5-10 hours of gameplay, after which you hit that point where common resources are functionally infinite and it stops mattering.

that, and the jury-rigging perk, which just says gently caress IT and lets you use pretty much anything of a category to repair anything of the same or similar category, like repairing an Anti-Materiel Rifle with a varmit rifle, or repairing Ganon Family Tesla Armor with normal, lovely metal armor.

Which made durability an actual worthwhile thing in that game, because I finally had a use for the gun runner's equipment other than to murder them every 3 days and sell their poo poo to the vendor out in front.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Far cry 2 is the only game I've played where I liked the durability mechanic

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gologle posted:

This is essentially what I want every invasion I do to turn into basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf88yWzk5Tg

How did the host manage to hide behind the fog door? Is that a bug?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

sector_corrector posted:

How did the host manage to hide behind the fog door? Is that a bug?

In certain boss areas you can enter the fog without triggering the boss and just chill.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Panty Saluter posted:

In certain boss areas you can enter the fog without triggering the boss and just chill.

Though in that specific case he's just inside the Pontiff's area, but the back side of it, after the Pontiff is dead. But the point where the fog appears is a bit outside the point where it would have cancelled his summons.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Maybe if they implemented durability in such a way that wasn't simply a stat reduction it would make a bit more sense. Like a damaged shield would have a chance of failing or literally breaking apart following a blocked attack. Or parrying would fail even if timed properly. Make it a threshold so that your durability had to drop below 30% for the chance of failure to kick in so it wasn't RNG all the time.

Equipment maintenance makes sense from a realism perspective, but it's basically just a hassle at best and doesn't add much to the gameplay.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Well, Vaati's last video pretty much answered most of my lore questions, so that's pretty cool. On my second playthrough now, I'm able to appreciate the game for what it is: the levels themselves are tighter than ever, and like Bloodborne, it committed to its style (an ashen, dying world in this case). It also introduces several new characters that are intriguing enough and look cool.

I think I was initially disappointed after DS I and II because:

a) I expected this game to pick up more or less after DS II since the DLC was supposed to set that up, but ultimately we got yet another story of yet another cycle (cool story, myazaki), and
b) the haunting, ashen world of DS III lacked the wild variety that II offered (especially with the high bar that the DLC set), I don't think DS suffered as much from this because it was the first entry and still fairly novel, and the plot was entirely fresh. Likewise, this worked in BB as it fit the setting well.

In my mind, I built DSIII up as a brand spanking, original game that would carry as much mystery as I, or even II. But retreading so much ground didn't feel so great, even though this is a direct sequel. This is especially highlighted by how cool aldritch, sullyvhan, and the lothric royalty are. What if the entire game was filled with fresh characters and locales? Some of the ways in which the characters of the first game are referenced to or play a role in this one was done drat well I'll admit (see: gwyndolin).

After seeing Vaati's video, however, I do feel that this game stands on its own a lot more than I gave it credit for. Maybe I'm just unattentive but I didn't realize that the princes were the ones who didn't kindle the flame and hosed the world up, despite their title as lords of cinder, and sullyvahn's massive role in moving the plot as well as his many connections to other characters as well as his usurpation of the old gods. Details like that helped me contextualize wtf I was seeing and realize that there's still some fresh storytelling going on amidst the pile of fanservice.

I still wish the game had tried to stand on its own a little more, and maybe it does but the obscurity of the lore didn't do this entry any favors in that regard, at least during my first playthrough. I still didn't get why the Lords of Cinder had individually turned away from their duties until after last night (though some were more obvious than others). As far as the lack of visual variety, yeah it's a thing but then again each area is so beautiful that I can look past being in yet another chapel or keep for the hundredth time. That said, Lothric castle was...underwhelming from a visual point of view. It looks like a beautiful generic castle, but it still looks like a generic castle imo.

Overall the game is downright fun. Like DSI, it's a blast zooming through areas like a boss and completing side missions/getting loot, especially since the combat is tighter than ever, and even "weak" builds are perfectly playable in PVE if ya don't suck.

Oh and the super secret, lore-heavy area being a complete recycle of the first area felt lazy as poo poo, especially when compared to ash lake. No lore implications can remedy this bullshit. I'm still pretty pissed about this one, as these games tend to have phenomenal bonus areas.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 9, 2016

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Durablility is a poo poo mechanic that is only ever tedious, I'm glad they made it almost impossible to fall foul of.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

So if I respec at Rosaria, can I de-level? I know in DS2, respeccing just refunded all your souls and you could reallocate however and keep the left over souls if you wanted.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Durability only makes sense in games with survival-esque mechanics, or ones that have more severe punishments for mistakes/misplanning than Dark Souls.

Carl Seitan posted:

So if I respec at Rosaria, can I de-level? I know in DS2, respeccing just refunded all your souls and you could reallocate however and keep the left over souls if you wanted.

No.
(Fromsoft bring back level drain)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 9, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Carl Seitan posted:

Unfortunately no, it'll twist your arm to put points all back into something or other.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I guess durability only seems to be a problem for katana users, but then again, who uses katanas?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I finished my wizard character. Compared to my first character who just used sellsword twinblades, I'd say it made these bosses easier

Champ gundam
Baby gundam
Ancient wyvern
Nameless king
Soul of cinder
Dragonslayer armor
Smooth moves
Vordt
Yhorm

And these bosses harder

Treemendous
The pope union
Abyss watcher
Pontiff
Aldrich
Twin princes

With the others being pretty much the same. Most of the hardest bosses in the game are in the "easier" list so being a wizard is actually very cool and good once you get past the slow start and grudgingly accept that great soul arrow is the safest and most efficient thing to use for the entire game. I'm not sure why some people say sorcery is underpowered for PvE across the board, there's a lot of problems with it but being able to kill some of the hardest bosses in the game in 8 hits is not one of them.

e: Add oceiros to the "harder" list, he was a bit of a piece of poo poo because his charge has no telegraph whatsoever and I ended up fighting him mostly with my sword which is not very wizard-like

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 10, 2016

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I thought sorcery made the princes harder too, but later I went back as a pyro and realized you can sprint away from Lorian and he really can't do poo poo. You'd think he'd just start teleporting, but he only seems to use that as a combo ender or a followup to Lothric's homing souls. You can't really hit lil bro with sorcery (its bullshit that crystal spear doesn't do this!!) until you knock him off, but all he can do about it is feebly play magic dodgeball with you, except you're the only one that can dodge. It feels kind of mean haha

At the risk of getting another custom title, i'm still so impressed with his design. The long fingernails, mottled skin, emaciated body... It's just insanely good that the baddest motherfucker in the land hasn't gotten out of bed in 500 years and has no goals except to die without EVER taking a bath. It feels super sad, like you're fighting your way through Grey Gardens.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just thinking about designs, I was kind of disappointed with the Soul of Cinder for being a guy in armor. Aldritch was a bit weird since I was expecting to fight a giant poopsnake from the intro video.

Greatwood was a fun gross design. Big guy trying to crush you with his jiggling physics objects.

Also I just found that you dont have to fight the Ancient Wyvern to death. :downs:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Is it bad that I intentionally dragged out a fight as a darkmoon just to give the world more chances that a second invader would spawn, so I could collect more ears instead of going away? :shobon:

I could have gotten up to 5 ears if the 4th invader didn't appear with Creighton's lightning axe that he had buffed with more lightning. That hit frighteningly hard. At least I got 3 ears, but I'm not so sure the host survived.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I can't log in on PS4. Says there's an update available, but I don't see one. Anyone else?

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

HaB posted:

I can't log in on PS4. Says there's an update available, but I don't see one. Anyone else?

Yeah, just posted this in the ps4 thread. Weird

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

holy poo poo you can upgrade your estus flasks. just figured it out after beating champion gundyr.

HaB posted:

i'm having the same problem

Cubivore_ fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 10, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mercurochrome posted:

holy poo poo you can upgrade your estus flasks. just figured it out after beating champion gundyr.

:stare: Jesus how did you even make it there?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

HaB posted:

Patch 1.05 just hit, I got the download a couple minutes ago

edit: updated to 1.05 reg 1.08 and still can't connect

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 10, 2016

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
On the topic of durability, I don't suppose the Witch's Ring or the Great Swamp ring increases the potency of Acid Surge do they? If there is one thing I miss from Dark Souls 2, it is the acid flasks.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's a beautiful dream, but a foolish one. Let Acid Surge go, my friend.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It would be very unlikely, because you don't have sane corrosive AR like in DS2.

Here, all durability damage is statically applied by special effects.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

:stare: Jesus how did you even make it there?

a lot of dying

here's one of my many gundyr fails
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbM92Bg58l8

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Bogart posted:

It's a beautiful dream, but a foolish one. Let Acid Surge go, my friend.

Never.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mercurochrome posted:

a lot of dying

here's one of my many gundyr fails
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbM92Bg58l8

Okay, that's not as insane as I was expecting. I thought you had gotten all the way to Champion Gundyr with just 4 estus flasks.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
What did you think those Undead Bone Shards were for?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or the burn undead bone shard option was for?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Is there any suggestions for builds coming from bloodborne, which was my first soulsesque game. I am just about done platinuming bb, but I put a little time in DS3 to get a feel for it. Right off the bat, I find the shield weird and I REALLY miss the health regen. I am getting that DS is a less aggressive game, but coming from bb it is really punishing.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Why am I making a bunch of new characters and getting Sword Master to kill the Dancer for me? Just because I heard they're patching it out? Why? What's wrong with me? :darksouls:

I'm playing on PC, can't I just do this one time with one character, make a backup of the save and then replace one of my own saves every time I want to restart with the Dancer dead? Or could you get banned or something?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

unlawfulsoup posted:

Is there any suggestions for builds coming from bloodborne, which was my first soulsesque game. I am just about done platinuming bb, but I put a little time in DS3 to get a feel for it. Right off the bat, I find the shield weird and I REALLY miss the health regen. I am getting that DS is a less aggressive game, but coming from bb it is really punishing.

Don't use a shield and just dodge. I never use shields in Dark Souls games because I hate them. They make some encounters easier, but now more than ever they are not a necessity.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

unlawfulsoup posted:

Make sure your encumbrance is below 70% so you get the good roll, if you're not using a shield two hand your weapon for more damage. Make sure that eventually you have some sort of ranged option even if it's just for pulling enemies away from each other.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Just started playing this game this week.

gently caress tree boss. Seriously.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Smash him in the junk

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Grump posted:

What exactly are you struggling with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Grump posted:

tree boss is optional