Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's also going to have Cross Ange though so y'know, monkey paw wishes.

I'd be extremely surprised if the worst bits of Cross Ange make it into something as light and family-friendly as a SRW game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Schwarzwald posted:

It also has Might Gaine, so it's not a total wash.

There had better be a new version of Great Dash for the game.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
So doing some reading because of that PV I'm not really sure how I feel about a take on mazinger that turns it into a metaphysical thing like Getter, but at the same time Mazinger Zero does look really drat cool there.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Huh, racism was totally the last thing I expected Getter Robo Go to explore. I mean christ, all that's missing is the guy talking about how he wants to Make America Great Again.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Mazinger Zero seems like a loving insane thing and it can't get translated fast enough.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'd care more about ZERO if it was just over the top and not incredibly gross as well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Motto posted:

I'd care more about ZERO if it was just over the top and not incredibly gross as well.

Seems appropriate for a Go Nagai project.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Motto posted:

Go Nagai may not be the guy for you, sorry to say.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Go Nagai's stuff can be violent and juvenile, but he doesn't go about it the way Zero's author does, especially if you look into his other work. Same way that recent Getter manga's trying to be violent and gritty in the same vein as Ishikawa, but totally misses the mark.

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 9, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Seems appropriate for a Go Nagai project.

It's by the Wolf Guy Wolfen Crest author, whose flavour of skeeze is far less campily ridiculous and far more purely unpleasant.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I haven't read it to confirm, but the Wolf Guy manga apparently features a character getting raped for over 10 chapters.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Raxivace posted:

Huh, racism was totally the last thing I expected Getter Robo Go to explore. I mean christ, all that's missing is the guy talking about how he wants to Make Donald Drumpf Again.

Go is probably the best of the Getter manga partly because Ishikawa is willing to step outside the franchises' comfort zone and tackle odd poo poo like that during it, but partly because it manages to be fairly good at it too. Schwartz is an rear end, but he actually grows as a character and it feels fairly natural despite how lovely he is. Add in things like the eponymous Go being an underpowered unit not powered by Getter Rays and the whole thing feeling like an army fighting a single battle against a foe rather than a couple of guys jumping in planes to defeat an empire and it really feels off brand comparerd to the rest, but in a really good way. The rest of the saga is great, and even the first two manga manage to be a lot of fun while going for a more simple adventure story, but the last two Getter mangas really solidify it's place as more than just a normal mecha story/manga by doing stuff like that and getting philosophical about the nature of evolution and so on at times.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Darth Walrus posted:

It's by the Wolf Guy Wolfen Crest author, whose flavour of skeeze is far less campily ridiculous and far more purely unpleasant.

Hmm, I dunno man, Devilman and Violence Jack...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shin Mazinger Zero is honestly only unpleasant and gross at the very beginning, with some scenes that I admit are really unneccesary, but once it gets out of the first reality and into the "Koji is a cyborg" reality it gets a lot better. I wish the rest got translated, but Dynamic Pro Scans dies every so often then comes back suddenly only to die again for months and months...it's like reading Hunter x Hunter.

Also Ishikawa dying before Getter Robo was finished is the single worst thing in the history of mecha. None of the Getter adaptations are remotely as good as the manga, which is forever incomplete.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Isn't Shin Mazinger Zero the one with the tentacle rape Aphrodite A upgrade?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

mikeycp posted:

Go Nagai may not be the guy for you, sorry to say.

He has an absolutely gigantic body of work, most of which was silly shonen comedy. Just because he's only known in the west for Devilman doesn't mean that darkness is what defines him as an artist.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

He has an absolutely gigantic body of work, most of which was silly shonen comedy. Just because he's only known in the west for Devilman doesn't mean that darkness is what defines him as an artist.

Not to mention that both Devilman and Violence Jack can both be pretty goofy.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't Shin Mazinger Zero the one with the tentacle rape Aphrodite A upgrade?

It has a weird costume for Sayaka, but looking it up Nagai did pretty much the same thing in MazinSaga. I'm thinking of what Blaze Dragon's referring to, where it does some gross stuff with Sayaka before killing her in the first reality. I guess I could stomach it if it never goes that far again though.

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 9, 2016

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Motto posted:

It has a weird costume for Sayaka, but looking it up Nagai did pretty much the same thing in MazinSaga. I'm thinking of what Blaze Dragon's referring to, where it does some gross stuff with Sayaka before killing her in the first reality. I guess I could stomach it if it never goes that far again though.
It depends on how you feel about Doctor Hell grabbing the President of the United States's crotch.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
and here people were worried about cross ange in the next srw, jesus christ shin mazinger zero sounds ridiculous

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Daler Mehndi posted:

It depends on how you feel about Doctor Hell grabbing the President of the United States's crotch.
To elaborate on this, Doctor Hell is not portrayed as his usual scrawny appearance in Zero. No, Zero's version of Doctor Hell is buff as gently caress:

Like, this version of Doctor Hell could theoretically bench-press the entire human cast of Mazinger Z on one hand.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

AradoBalanga posted:

To elaborate on this, Doctor Hell is not portrayed as his usual scrawny appearance in Zero. No, Zero's version of Doctor Hell is buff as gently caress:

Like, this version of Doctor Hell could theoretically bench-press the entire human cast of Mazinger Z on one hand.

Dr. Hellck?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Daler Mehndi posted:

This is probably the undersell of the decade.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Logicblade posted:

Dr. Hellck?

Father Rage

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This is pretty old news but Imagawa's Tetsujin 28 is getting a bluray release, eventually
http://www.hmv.co.jp/news/article/1601200003/

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Watched Macross Plus and it left me pretty firmly unimpressed. I'm aware of Robotech/Macross just through pop culture assimilation but didn't watch Robotech growing up and haven't gotten around to seeing any Macross stuff before.

The music was pretty good and I really liked the animation quality - some of the test flight sequences were absolutely gorgeous, I think I just dislike the characters and the plot is absolute nonsense. Isamu and Guld are both complete assholes and Myung ending up with either of them isn't really something I'd cheer for.

Guld assaults and near-rapes Myung then blames it all on Isamu in a fit of denial, but Isamu and Myung both just decide that rather than confront or tell him the truth they'll just quietly pity him from a distance. Isamu's repsonse to all this is to just happily leave Myung around the guy who assaulted her - and when Guld tells him they've slept together he still doesn't think it might be a good idea to separate the girl he ostensibly said he'd always protect from her creepy mentally unbalanced former assaulter? He occasionally snaps and tries to punch him a bunch, but not for Myung - each time it's just for his own sake (Myung is completely right when she calls him out on being selfish but that's okay because secretly she loves him to the point of obsession!).

Then Guld realises what he's done but it's okay, everyone is immediately friends again while they go fight an AI built out of Myung's goddamned bitterness by a guy for....some reasons that are...never really elaborated on.

Ugh. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth which is a shame because I thought it started off relatively promising.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They didn't pity or confront him because the incident irrevocably severed their entire set of relationships, it was only through coincidence that they were forced to deal with it again. Confronting him about it or dealing with it in some fashion at the time would have obviously been the better choice but because the split apart and didn't interact for so many years it festered and was allowed to get further complicated. I've always interpreted Isamu's character as someone who could only deal with the break up by becoming further obsessed with flying, which is why he's seemingly reluctant to actually help Myung in the present. One of the few changes the movie did that I really like is that instead of rushing to save her from the fire in the OVA, he completely blows off doing anything at all so he can gently caress Lucy. Almost makes him truly seem like the "villain" of the trio until the reveal at the end.

The three of them are deeply flawed and troubled people, but I think that's what makes it so interesting, especially with the way it all comes to a head at the end.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I can see your point about the confrontation, but I don't feel that the ending was earned properly. I do also like that they don't shy away from giving Myung problems of her own, she's not some stereotypical girl-next-door ideal (although Guld definitely sees her that way in his own delusions).

I did watch the OVA though rather than the Movie, so if there's added stuff in the movie that changes or re-contextualizes their relationships or the ending, I might give it a go at a later date.

Through the first episode of Giant Robo now as watching the Netflix Voltron series has sent me on something of a mecha binge and I'm not sure what's going on yet but holy poo poo this show is charming as gently caress :allears:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Most of the Macross Plus movie kind of sucks, because the pacing just goes to poo poo and things just seem to happen haphazardly with no rhyme or reason. Even if you go with the argument that MP was originally pitched as a film, the fact is that the story was storyboarded and set out as a 4 episode long story and retroactively fitting it into a 2 hour chunk just doesn't work. However, a few different scenes here and there are definitely improvements; the aforementioned fire rescue change is one of the in my opinion but the final battle itself gets a ton of cool new poo poo. Basically I'd switch to the film version once Isamu/Guld start duking it out.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
So I finally finished watching Gad Guard after an epoch, man I don't remember when I even started it or what country I lived in when I began but it has to have been in the realm of a year.

A lot of style in this show. Like, it very much shines through that people who really loved what they were doing put a lot into this. The design and atmosphere of the whole thing was wonderful, they absolutely did a great job with the setting in general. But a lot of the rest was...a little lacking? The plot took aaaaaaaaaaaages to actually get going, it basically doesn't HAVE a central plot until the last couple of episodes, so for a long while it felt like nothing happening was all too important.

I think the problem is that, given how it's a show about robots in an odd post-apocalyptic sci-fi Art Deco 1930s megacity, the comparisons to The Big O are inevitable, and I kind of went in expecting, you know, stuff like that. But really, it's...it's more slice of life, if anything. So much of the show focuses more on the lower-key antics the main cast gets up to in their jobs and it doesn't hitch itself to a greater underlying current until the very end. Mecha shows usually do that after all! But this is a hard one to pin down. It's sometimes pleasant and amusing and fitting for younger sorts. It's sometimes a bit more familiar and action-ful and general! It's sometimes really freaky and touches on disturbing themes best fit for an older audience. And I think that might've been it, I think the show had some problems during development, you can very much see its budget grind to a halt in the latter half. It's another one of those shows that would've likely been just a bit better if it was restrained to 13 episodes instead of 26 and had more focus to it, because there's a really strong undercurrent to it.

It was really heavily focused on character arcs, so...it's problematic that all the characters were mostly 'okay'. Hajiki's an alright protagonist, the standard shounen fare but he's never explicitly, flagrantly stupid or anything? Headstrong, sure, but he's a teenager and given that he has a giant punchy robot running around with him he's astonishingly down to earth for his archetype, and his resolution was predictable but still decently executed enough. I wanted to like Arashi more but she very quickly fell into being 'the love interest' and despite demonstrating herself to be capable in her own right...nobody really treated her that way, and she never got to do as much as I'd wish besides just sticking around Hajiki, her sole character development was 'i don't get along with my dad'. Katana was the most interesting character on the face of it, cold-hearted merc with a soft spot for his tiny moe pal and I think he was the strongest of the cast, he went mad with power in an amusing way and did a good job as the rival while eliciting a few 'awwww's from me at the end, though I was never clear on his motivation. On the flip side. Takumi and Aiko were rather disappointing and I feel more could've been done with them, they had their big moments basically filling up the middle of the show and they just didn't pay off well enough in my opinion, and it meant they were absolutely irrelevant to the greater later-on plot, which was a little more interesting.

I liked it enough but there was so much potential I felt was wasted and...I dunno. It's one of those that I understand why it was forgotten, because while the setting and premise is nice it just ultimately doesn't do enough with them to be a strong story on its own. It's a matter of style over substance, the design is wonderful and the jazzy music is excellent when it kicks in but beyond that it's just a bit shallow in spite of all the windows into very interesting elements. Unfortunate! But if you liked The Big O and want to see a show all about that setting, here you go - Unit Blue basically is Paradigm City in all but name. Just expect it to explicitly be skirting around all that depth and intrigue.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I watched half of Zeorymer.

I like the main character

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I can see your point about the confrontation, but I don't feel that the ending was earned properly. I do also like that they don't shy away from giving Myung problems of her own, she's not some stereotypical girl-next-door ideal (although Guld definitely sees her that way in his own delusions).

I did watch the OVA though rather than the Movie, so if there's added stuff in the movie that changes or re-contextualizes their relationships or the ending, I might give it a go at a later date.

Through the first episode of Giant Robo now as watching the Netflix Voltron series has sent me on something of a mecha binge and I'm not sure what's going on yet but holy poo poo this show is charming as gently caress :allears:

Macross Plus is interesting in that all the main trio are terrible, broken people that probably shouldn't be around each other, but it makes the ending seem really weird. Like...there's no way Isamu and Myung are going to work. They need a long talk to hash things out and the entire OVA is about showing us that they don't talk.

Amazing music, though.

Giant Robo is quite possibly my favorite anime of all time, please tell us your reactions to every episode.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think it was mentioned in this thread, but apparently someone went and finished translating the second volume of Great Mazinger about a month ago. Search around the usual places and you'll likely find it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

If you enjoyed my patlabor simulwatch from this april, or are interested in patlabor in general: here's part 2 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783680

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This dream episode of Super Dimension Fortress Macross (Episode 17) was super legit and probably my favorite one in the show so far. The way it spliced together old footage together to tell a story about Hikaru's concerns, conflated the Zentradi guy with Minmay's cousin, cut from Minmay singing into the Zentradi theme song suddenly etc., were all super cool. Reminded me of the Instrumentality episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion and episode 14 of The Big O in particular.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think SDF is overall a better show than 7, and it's one of my favorite shows full stop, but I think episode 42 (I think it's that one) of Macross 7 is my favorite episode of anime. It's the episode where everyone is preparing to go on a suicide mission but celebrating Mylene's birthday before they go since she won't be joining them (and Max forbids it even) - and the whole episode strikes a really good balance of melancholy drama with some humor to lighten it up. While Mylene ends up going on the mission and everyone comes back alive, the episode is somber enough to genuinely believe it may not happen and addresses her fear of being left out and left alone well along with Basara's singular passion simply to sing. I especially love the section where he plays an acoustic song while up on the roof of a building as he confronts the idea he may not come back from it and he just wants to make his song heard regardless.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Episode 18 - P-pineapple salad... :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

I think SDF is overall a better show than 7, and it's one of my favorite shows full stop, but I think episode 42 (I think it's that one) of Macross 7 is my favorite episode of anime. It's the episode where everyone is preparing to go on a suicide mission but celebrating Mylene's birthday before they go since she won't be joining them (and Max forbids it even) - and the whole episode strikes a really good balance of melancholy drama with some humor to lighten it up. While Mylene ends up going on the mission and everyone comes back alive, the episode is somber enough to genuinely believe it may not happen and addresses her fear of being left out and left alone well along with Basara's singular passion simply to sing. I especially love the section where he plays an acoustic song while up on the roof of a building as he confronts the idea he may not come back from it and he just wants to make his song heard regardless.

I think SDF would be a better show if it ended at the final battle but I genuinely think most of the content post the final battle sort of sucks. The Zentradi adapting to Earth stuff is great but the Love Triangle plot goes full stupid for basically the entire thing and Hikaru becomes a far worse character.

In comparison I think MX7 is too slow to start but once it gets going it keeps hitting the beats and I guess I'm more willing to forgive a weak start than weak finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man, Hikaru went full edgelord there for a little bit.