Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The land that celebration forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Huh, this was a gossipy tidbit tucked away at the end

I'm having trouble parsing that. The MTV group of ex-Grantlanders were fed up with Simmons or with ESPN? I know Holly Anderson has been more than happy to burn the latter bridge.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm having trouble parsing that. The MTV group of ex-Grantlanders were fed up with Simmons or with ESPN? I know Holly Anderson has been more than happy to burn the latter bridge.

I read it as they were upset with Simmons and the group of editors/writers that all quit the same day since that essentially was the death knell for Grantland. It sounds like they weren't kept in the loop about any future ventures.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah I read it as there's hard feelings for being left behind/blindsided by the exodus

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

In "we're not mad, honestly we are all just laughing about this" news, ESPN has quietly launched another attempt at a Longform Story Homepage, his time called Doubletruck.

No presumptive editorial staff making claims about their goals, no unifying themes or interconnected nature, and all that we have on the home-page is a Picture-with-Text "would you like to know more" style last seen at The Ringer. Its an off-shoot that largely reprints ESPN: the Mag features.

All-in-all, it's just another signal that ESPN doesn't really know what it wanted out of Grantland, just that they wanted to make sure they didn't NOT have whatever the hell Grantland was supposed to be.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I dunno, I think the purpose of Grantland was pretty clear: give Simmons what he wanted

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

morestuff posted:

I dunno, I think the purpose of Grantland was pretty clear: give Simmons what he wanted

Yep. Simmons passed the point of personal fame where he could and did say to ESPN on his next contract negotiation, "I don't want to be a writer anymore, but if you give me the funding to run my own prestige site plus $5 million a year then I'll half-rear end one column a week for you."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

quote:

"One of the ironies of my life is that I was definitely a chauvinist with men's and women's sports before. I'd always make WNBA jokes and stuff like that. And now I'm like a feminist, and it's all because of her," he says, as his ponytailed daughter waves at him between plays. "In L.A., they have all these academy teams for boys, and the girls are treated like second-class citizens. The fields we have are worse than the boys', too. It all just drives me f—ing crazy."

Oh how big of you, Bill

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
God willing this revelation will lead to Bill Simmons bringing his signature brand of basketball humor and knowledge to the exciting world of the WNBA!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Bill tell me about how the Lynx are like Revenge of the Nerds II

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Simmons instagrammed an apology

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ElwoodCuse posted:

Oh how big of you, Bill
Truly, the social justice battle that will define our generation - the way that the daughters of multi-millionaires often have to play soccer on fields that a notch or two less well maintained that the fields that the sons of multi-millionaires play on.

Welcome to the struggle, Comrade Simmons. All power to the correct faction.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

FMguru posted:

Truly, the social justice battle that will define our generation - the way that the daughters of multi-millionaires often have to play soccer on fields that a notch or two less well maintained that the fields that the sons of multi-millionaires play on.

Welcome to the struggle, Comrade Simmons. All power to the correct faction.

Look I get you all loving hate him, but this seems relatively harmless and sort of honest? He has a daughter now. He maybe sees the world a bit differently.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Eh, mocking the wnba was as common as ewing theory discussions in his columns for about 10 years, and not a one off thing. It is completely understandable that people will give him crap for going back on a consistent aspect of his whole shtick because of that.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

It's really lovely to not care about an oppressed group until it affects you personally

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's definitely better to just continue not caring

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Can I be in support of equality and still think the WNBA sucks?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's definitely better to just continue not caring

You don't get to pat yourself on the back for doing what you should already have been doing

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The WNBA sucks and no one here watches it.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's really lovely to not care about an oppressed group until it affects you personally

It's extremely lovely to tell someone they're a regressive dumb rear end because they love their daughter. Just one mans opinion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Work Friend Keven posted:

It's extremely lovely to tell someone they're a regressive dumb rear end because they love their daughter. Just one mans opinion.

That isn't what he is doing?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Why do you guys let Bill Simmons bother you this much

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

quote:

self-proclaimed minister of peace and champion of black pride, was ruthless and cruel to many of his black opponents.

He deliberately prolonged fights against Floyd Patterson and Ernie Terrell long after he could have put them away, because they had continued to call him Cassius Clay following his conversion to the Muslim religion. He battered away at them while shouting "What's my name? What's my name?"

I'm trying to be a sympathetic reader here and figure out what context is missing that could be reintroduced to make this anecdote anything other than a guy being extremely cool.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah I didn't even know that and now that I do Ali owned even more.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I'm trying to be a sympathetic reader here and figure out what context is missing that could be reintroduced to make this anecdote anything other than a guy being extremely cool.

Islam is a religion of peace

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

ElwoodCuse posted:

You're right but usually people don't. So at least he's acknowledging it...I guess.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sometimes people need to have first-person experience with something before they start to think and change their opinions about it. This is not a shocker.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I was just making fun of him for thinking that making fun of the WNBA was wrong and has anything to do with his daughter's soccer field

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Thinking the WNBA is lovely and thinking that women should have equal fields for sports are not mutually exclusive.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
The words of the quote are extremely dumb, but doing a lovely thing for a long time and then realizing you were doing a lovely thing and changing your mind to not do the lovely thing anymore isn't bad, it's actually good. Even for personally selfish reasons, being a better person is good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Badfinger posted:

The words of the quote are extremely dumb, but doing a lovely thing for a long time and then realizing you were doing a lovely thing and changing your mind to not do the lovely thing anymore isn't bad, it's actually good. Even for personally selfish reasons, being a better person is good.

listen either you come out of the womb fully woke and acknowledging your being born privilege or you're on the wrong side of history

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I miss grantlands layout.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

soggybagel posted:

I miss grantlands layout.

Seriously, who the hell looked at this and was like "Yeah that's good, roll with that!"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

Seriously, who the hell looked at this and was like "Yeah that's good, roll with that!"

People who thought tat they should let ticket master write an article about why secondary markets are bad.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Inspector_666 posted:

That looks like a very nice, minimalistic layout that is easy to read.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kibner posted:

That looks like a very nice, minimalistic layout that is easy to read.

The header takes up the entire page and then the actual content takes up 1/3 of the horizontal real estate when you try to read it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Inspector_666 posted:

The header takes up the entire page and then the actual content takes up 1/3 of the horizontal real estate when you try to read it.

The header is only that big on the landing page and if you stretch out the content to the full width of the screen, it becomes unreadable. The content will only stretch to so many pixels/characters/other-length-unit wide. There is a reason why books with text people are expected to read only get so wide before they split into multiple columns (which isn't very feasible in the scrollable internet world).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kibner posted:

The header is only that big on the landing page and if you stretch out the content to the full width of the screen, it becomes unreadable. The content will only stretch to so many pixels/characters/other-length-unit wide. There is a reason why books with text people are expected to read only get so wide before they split into multiple columns (which isn't very feasible in the scrollable internet world).

I don't expect or want the content to go edge-to-edge, but it just seems like very strange choices for proportions.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm crazy because I guess Medium actually uses the same exact layout horizontally but seems wider?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't expect or want the content to go edge-to-edge, but it just seems like very strange choices for proportions.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm crazy because I guess Medium actually uses the same exact layout horizontally but seems wider?

They can set a max width. You can inspect the css to see what it is and compare it to what Medium uses. Once you go below a certain browser width, it should switch to a more mobile friendly layout.