Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Post in Vivaldi's forums. They're very very good about discussing feature requests usually!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Has anyone had ALT+D break in Vivaldi?

I think it happened with the latest update to 1.2.490.39 for me

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

lurksion posted:

Has anyone had ALT+D break in Vivaldi?

I think it happened with the latest update to 1.2.490.39 for me

I've noticed the same after 1.2 update.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!
I'd never used <alt>+d, but apparently it's the same thing as <ctrl>+l, which still works.

<alt>+d in Opera 12 jumps to the location bar and highlights the field, but it also plays the Windows alert sound. Is it supposed to do something other than move to the field? I'm sticking with <ctrl>+l anyway, since it's an easier, single finger move off the home row.

Edit: That's <ctrl>+L, since the forums font is ambiguous.

Since I'm editing, I find that if I want to type in the address/location bar, the first thing I'd do is mouse gesture for a new tab which automatically places the cursor the in the bar. Even if I'm done with the current tab, I'm more likely to mouse gesture it closed and immediately gesture into a new tab. :shrug:

Hexaemeron fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 6, 2016

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Turns out you can just add it back in as a shortcut under keyboard shortcuts. Guess it got removed for some reason?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

lurksion posted:

Turns out you can just add it back in as a shortcut under keyboard shortcuts. Guess it got removed for some reason?

There tend to be weird switchoffs that occur snapshot to snapshot

the last once switched my theme back to light from dark

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

There tend to be weird switchoffs that occur snapshot to snapshot

the last once switched my theme back to light from dark

I think everyone got switched back to light just because they added in the new customization system for themes.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

END ME SCOOB posted:

I think everyone got switched back to light just because they added in the new customization system for themes.

all I knew is that I threw my arm across my face like a vampire and hissed when Vivaldi restarted, glowing brighter than a thousand suns

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I've been using Vivaldi a lot lately and I love the webpane.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Darth TNT posted:

I run steam chat in it :buddy:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I run steam chat in it :buddy:

I'd imagine chat works great there as well.
I have mostly newssite and blogs in it. It reminds my why I really like mobile sites for certains sites. Having a list of news articles is so much clearer than the normal homepage for so many techsites (theverge, arstechnica).
The only thing that bothers me is that I can't share things from the webpane to social media.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I really wish Vivaldi would fix their godamn blurry font rendering when running on HiDPi monitors.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

I really wish Vivaldi would fix their godamn blurry font rendering when running on HiDPi monitors.

Try going to vivaldi://flags/ and toggling the DirectWrite flag.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hexaemeron posted:

Try going to vivaldi://flags/ and toggling the DirectWrite flag.

Slightly less blurry but the font rendering is completely messed up at the same time :smith:

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

Slightly less blurry but the font rendering is completely messed up at the same time :smith:

There are a couple of switches you could try.

code:
--force-device-scale-factor=1
and

code:
--disable-gpu

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah, I've got Twitter on mine, it's really nifty.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hexaemeron posted:

There are a couple of switches you could try.
code:
--disable-gpu

This one seems to work pretty well for now. Wonder what kind of performance implications it has. Forcing the scaling isn't really an option for me since it doesn't work well with multiple monitors.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

The sale of Opera to a Chinese company has been completed. The final closing is expected in late Q3 2016. https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/18/opera-renegotiates-its-1-2b-sale-down-to-600m-for-browser-privacy-apps-chinese-jv/

Some parts of the business will not transfer, but the browser(s) will. Can anyone translate "Yeah, Opera can do that," into Chinese?

Vivaldi being fairly close to parity with Opera 12 couldn't have come at a better time. It's still missing some things, but it's better than any other modern browser already.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hexaemeron posted:

Vivaldi being fairly close to parity with Opera 12 couldn't have come at a better time. It's still missing some things, but it's better than any other modern browser already.

Except it's not. It still fails dramatically at rendering fonts properly on HiDPi screens, and it's still no where near as responsive as some other browsers (but much MUCH better than it used to be)

It's a shame because I do like it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Stanley Pain posted:

Except it's not. It still fails dramatically at rendering fonts properly on HiDPi screens, and it's still no where near as responsive as some other browsers (but much MUCH better than it used to be)

You can solve most of the hiDPi issues by having vivaldi render in native DPi and then using the browser's own settings for default zoom levels of the interface and the page content. Granted it's a bit crude and creates some other problems (zoom on viewing images doesn't work super well), and having native hiDPi support is something that the Vivaldi team ought to work on, but it's a workaround that works reasonably well.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

YF-23 posted:

You can solve most of the hiDPi issues by having vivaldi render in native DPi and then using the browser's own settings for default zoom levels of the interface and the page content. Granted it's a bit crude and creates some other problems (zoom on viewing images doesn't work super well), and having native hiDPi support is something that the Vivaldi team ought to work on, but it's a workaround that works reasonably well.

Except this doesn't work very well when moving between monitors, and it makes a bunch of dialog boxes SUPER MASSIVE. So like I said, it needs a LOT of work in this area before I could call it my main browser. I also wish there was a way to have to have it refresh tabs when I start it up instead of reading from cache.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

For my use case, it works better than other browsers. I don't have any monitors marketed as HiDPI, but my main monitor is a 30" 2560x1600 monitor and it moves/renders smoothly between that monitor, the secondary 1920x1080, and tertiary 1920x1200 monitors.

Besides, feature parity is what I'm really talking about. I've been using Opera since it was pay to use, and every other browser has always felt like a step (or several steps) backward. Opera didn't have font rendering problems, but a lot of pages were written specifically to break under Opera (Amazon for example used to display unusable pages unless you changed the user agent), so I'm used to putting up with a little rendering irregularity for the feature set.

The way it's being coded, I don't expect the browser to ever be as responsive or fast as Chrome or Firefox, but I've tried both those browsers and they are absolute garbage without me spending hours looking for plug-ins to replace functionality that's native in Opera 12 or Vivaldi.

It's not perfect, I agree. Hopefully they can focus attention on separating and re-writing some of the base Chromium code to address the issues you have and the dozens of other things that stand in its way.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Do you have font scaling enabled for any of those? If not then you won't see blurry fonts. On single screen it works fine, the problem comes into play with multiple monitors.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

No. A 2560x1600 30" is pretty close to a 21" 1080P monitor in terms of DPI, so I don't need font scaling. Like I said, it's a use-case thing.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Totally digging Vivaldi, but is there a way to enable dragging a tab to the desktop to make it a new window? I know I can right click -> move tab to New window but :effort:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

pahuyuth posted:

Totally digging Vivaldi, but is there a way to enable dragging a tab to the desktop to make it a new window? I know I can right click -> move tab to New window but :effort:

According to this thread they're working on it. So not at the moment, no.

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

pahuyuth posted:

Not right now. It's part of a planned update, but they're doing a whole tab system re-write.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The Opera Thread - Four Seasons :xd:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I just came back to Vivaldi after trying it initially but concluding it wasn't quite there yet. It's pretty drat good now.

Also, I figured out my bookmarks file that had been with me since 1995 or so, with its duplicate browser packaged defaults that had been backed up and imported over and over was what was causing responsiveness problems.

rapeface posted:

Vivaldi seemed awesome when I first started it. But after I customized everything, it got really slow and laggy when zooming, scrolling... everything really. Tried disabling extensions, but no dice. Don't think it's my computer, it's a new 6600 i5 with 16 gigs of RAM. Any clues what it could be?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

http://www.opera.com/blogs/security/2016/08/opera-server-breach-incident/

A few days old, and you probably got an email if you may have been affected.

quote:

Earlier this week, we detected signs of an attack where access was gained to the Opera sync system. This attack was quickly blocked. Our investigations are ongoing, but we believe some data, including some of our sync users’ passwords and account information, such as login names, may have been compromised.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Has Vivaldi allowed for search suggestions from google right in the address bar yet? I can't get them to work on mine.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

jokes posted:

Has Vivaldi allowed for search suggestions from google right in the address bar yet? I can't get them to work on mine.

Some people on the Vivaldi blog suggest using http://www.google.com/complete/search?client=chrome&q=%s

That worked for me - edit the existing google search and put that in the "Suggest URL".

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
it's been about a year since I last tried opera and I'm finding out that now opera can do that again? what a world.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I'd been using chrome forever, and chropera is not only more responsive, but it manages tabs better (I had ~500 open and it was still working fine, AND I could actually navigate between them properly, using both most-recently used and left/right tab switching) and lets my computer get 5-6 hours of battery life instead of 2-3 like Chrome.

when did this happen??

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Does Opera 40 on Windows have a feature that duplicates the Live Bookmarks functionality in Firefox?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Man I switched to Vivaldi a few days ago and it's pretty much everything I've ever wanted. No more Opera for me! Maybe some day I'll try out Otter but for now Vivaldi's great.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Man I switched to Vivaldi a few days ago and it's pretty much everything I've ever wanted. No more Opera for me! Maybe some day I'll try out Otter but for now Vivaldi's great.

Does it have anything like Opera's drop down list of open tabs? On Opera on Windows it's beside the Minimise button on the toolbar. Tab management on all these Blink browsers isn't great.

Out of interest, what specifically do you like about Vivaldi? I find it a bit bugger buggier than Opera but I can be patient.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 8, 2016

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
For me Vivaldi combines Chromes flash/standardized rendering and adblock/ghostery plugins with Operas mouse gestures, tab grouping and sleek ui.

It doesn't cover old Operas feature set by far, of course. Not mentioning the email/irc clients; the Link, Window and Info side tabs are complete gone, and download and history viewers suck horribly compared to Opera12s. Also no expandable tab preview thumbnails or tab cycling via RMB+scrollwheel.

course how much any of that bothers you is highly subjective and usage dependent.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

RoadCrewWorker posted:

tab cycling via RMB+scrollwheel.

course how much any of that bothers you is highly subjective and usage dependent.
Yeah, that one still makes it 100% no-go for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

Yeah, that one still makes it 100% no-go for me.

Under the Tab options, there's a function called Switch Tabs by Scrolling - is that what you're looking for?