Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Illinois Smith posted:

Start reading I.C.E., obviously. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Kyle is a dumb name. Also introducing Stoop, Smoky and Stalker all in the same chapter is needlessly confusing.

Esslemont is a bad writer who only improves enough to become mostly tolerable.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

sassassin why the gently caress would you read the B grade author when you don't even seem to enjoy the A grade one? :psyduck:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Tommofork posted:

sassassin why the gently caress would you read the D grade author when you don't even seem to enjoy the B grade one? :psyduck:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Uh excuse me I think you'll find Erikson is the greatest author since Terry Goodkind.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tommofork posted:

Uh excuse me I think you'll find Erikson is the greatest author since Terry Goodkind.

That's damning with faint praise if I ever heard it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Just because Terry Goodkind wrote some words down and they sort of made sense if you didn't pay close attention doesn't make him an author.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tommofork posted:

sassassin why the gently caress would you read the B grade author when you don't even seem to enjoy the A grade one? :psyduck:

Because one isn't the other and Esslemont doesn't have Erikson's faults even if he is objectively worse.

I've only come to dislike Erikson's writing on a second read of the last third of the series. Please stop acting like any criticism of a thing means it must be hated unconditionally. These books have good and bad parts and plenty of people sucking Erikson off over the good parts so for cosmic balance I'm get to moan.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

sassassin posted:

Because one isn't the other and Esslemont doesn't have Erikson's faults even if he is objectively worse.

I've only come to dislike Erikson's writing on a second read of the last third of the series. Please stop acting like any criticism of a thing means it must be hated unconditionally. These books have good and bad parts and plenty of people sucking Erikson off over the good parts so for cosmic balance I'm get to moan.

You know, I would take you more seriously if I hadn't seen the exact same modus operandi from you in other threads.
The troll is weak in this one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cardiac posted:

You know, I would take you more seriously if I hadn't seen the exact same modus operandi from you in other threads.
The troll is weak in this one.

How does consistency mean I'm not posting in good faith here?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

sassassin posted:

How does consistency mean I'm not posting in good faith here?

For instance, you could be consistently not posting in good faith.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Habibi posted:

For instance, you could be consistently not posting in good faith.

What a terrible way to live.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Having had some more time to think, one thing that springs to mind is that this mystery was never revealed.

cptn_dr posted:

Man, I'm about 8000 pages into this series, and I've yet to have the greatest mystery of all revealed - what the gently caress is up with Iskaral Pust's Mule?

So I'm just gonna assume that it's Soletaken Shadowthrone, and proceed accordingly.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Haha, can you believe this guy, goons? He missed the bit about Iskaral Pust's mule. Wow, I mean, how does the ending even make any kind of sense then?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Habibi posted:

Haha, can you believe this guy, goons? He missed the bit about Iskaral Pust's mule. Wow, I mean, how does the ending even make any kind of sense then?

:laffo:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah, thats mindblowing. He was far better with his projections than I was, but missed the entire mule subplot? Weird.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I have to save something for the reread, yknow

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It was just a perfectly normal mule in a long line of enigmatic Erikson equine.

Would be quicker to list the characters who don't have a weird relationship with a horse.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Sassassin is like an inverted Malazan Saga. I hated him at a first read and after two and three rereads I hate him even more.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

sassassin posted:

It was just a perfectly normal mule in a long line of enigmatic Erikson equine.

Would be quicker to list the characters who don't have a weird relationship with a horse.

What the hell are you even talking about? In Erikson's world, most people slaughter horses for food and blood. I mean, how many even had names other than Havok? I bet you can count them on your fingers without even running out. I can't run out, and I've read the series twice. I think at some point even the most dedicated horse-warriors (Awl, Khundryl, Wickans) all slaughter at least some of their horses. They certainly weren't pets or whatever like we have now.

e: The only characters I can remember having any particular relationship with a horse were Karsa, Torrent and Toc The Younger. After that what, Masan Gilani? She was a drat heavy, and was just a good rider.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 10, 2016

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Fiddler had his crazy and aggressive horse in Seven Cities. It seemed like a foreshadowing to Karsa's super-horse, in hindsight.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Fiddler and the Gral horse in Deadhouse.

Dukier and his stolen Gral horse to get to the Chain.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Ok, so yes, Fiddler's Gral horse and Duiker's mare (which showed up later iirc) ...still, like I said, you can count the examples on your fingers without running out.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

sassassin is my favorite poster simply because dissenting opinion and obvious hyperbole are getting big reactions.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
When I made that response I didn't even realize right away who I was responding to. Yay, I fed the troll :ughh:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Fiddler and the Gral horse in Deadhouse.

Dukier and his stolen Gral horse to get to the Chain.

Eh, I have a hard time seeing Duikers horse survive the Trail of Dogs.
Or do we know that? Last thing I remember was how the horse was taken on by the Wickan.
Also, didn't Fiddler just release that Gral horse after reaching the Azath? In that case, that horse probably ended up as Soletaken/D'ivers food.

Speaking of DG, what was the point of the Trail of Hands and getting all those Soletaken/D'ivers to the Azath. It was obviously setup by Shadowthrone, and it was partly an attempt by Gothos (Icariums father) to trap Icarium, but that doesn't explain all the D'ivers/Soletaken? Or it was another case of an Azath is dying, let us feed it with powerful creatures.

Speaking of Azaths, the Toblakai gods are not the smartest in that respect with regards to FoL and MT. Fool me once, fool me twice and so on..... They started out as 12 in FoL and are 3 in MT and something like 9 survive the one in FoL.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Cardiac posted:

Speaking of DG, what was the point of the Trail of Hands and getting all those Soletaken/D'ivers to the Azath. It was obviously setup by Shadowthrone, and it was partly an attempt by Gothos (Icariums father) to trap Icarium, but that doesn't explain all the D'ivers/Soletaken? Or it was another case of an Azath is dying, let us feed it with powerful creatures.

The latter more or less. IIRC, as the real gate was hidden below Pust's temple, the decoy leading the D'ivers and Soletaken to the Tremorlor was intended to...maybe not feed the Azath, so much aa use it to drastically reduce the number of shape shifters roaming the continent.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Habibi posted:

The latter more or less. IIRC, as the real gate was hidden below Pust's temple, the decoy leading the D'ivers and Soletaken to the Tremorlor was intended to...maybe not feed the Azath, so much aa use it to drastically reduce the number of shape shifters roaming the continent.

But why? Ryllandaras, Trake and a lot of others are still roaming around at that point.
And we don't see anything more of this in the series, and the main effect is delivering various characters to their destinations in an Deus Ex Machina way.
Or maybe it is just me getting used to everything fitting together in the end. drat you, Erikson, you have spoiled me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It actually had an effect in MoI: the Path of Hands was won by Togg and Fanderay. Who, gently caress me sideways, I just realize are according to FoL a d'ivers.
No idea whether anyone planned for that happening though. The shapeshifters obviously wanted to ascend but it turned out even the real gate wasn't necessary. My guess would be that the actual winners are one of the more sane shapeshifters which is probably an effect desired by... someone?

edit: Not sure if I'd call the Azath teleportation network a deus ex machina, it's foreshadowed and used to explain quite a lot. Hell, Gothos gets around quite a lot despite supposedly being imprisoned, he shows up azath-free in TtH.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 10, 2016

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

edit: Not sure if I'd call the Azath teleportation network a deus ex machina, it's foreshadowed and used to explain quite a lot. Hell, Gothos gets around quite a lot despite supposedly being imprisoned, he shows up azath-free in TtH.

If you're referring to the scene with Kallor, I'm pretty sure he wasn't azath-free.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I just got to where Icarium and Karsa fight. This book is... idk I'm not super into it. I like the Karsa parts and that's really it

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RC Cola posted:

I just got to where Icarium and Karsa fight. This book is... idk I'm not super into it. I like the Karsa parts and that's really it

Yeah Icarium freaking out wasn't as badass as I wanted it to be. Way too much talking going on, and it just didn't have a ton of impact to me. Maybe I missed something though.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
I think there's a lot more hate from ICE as time goes on, but there were a lot of bad-rear end parts in ROTCG. The final battle with Ryllandaras stands out as one of my favorite moments in any of the books, and Laseen was up there as well with the short bits that we got. Stonewielder also had some decent parts. I admit I stopped reading after Orb, Sceptre and Throne with no regrets, but I would definitely encourage Malazan fans to power through the Kyle garbage in ROTCG.

It also seems like Erickson really got tired of the convergence/big fights theme he tackled in the first few books. I am enjoying the FoL but I do miss the days when the bulk of any chapter wasn't made up of long winded introspection.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Jayisspecial posted:

I am enjoying the FoL but I do miss the days when the bulk of any chapter wasn't made up of long winded introspection.
Yeah, I've made it about 2/3 through. It's a bit of a slog but the bits that are good (like Brood & Olar Ethil vs Spite & Envy are really good. Hunn Raal getting hypnotized into jerking off inside a fire was hilarious. Really don't give a poo poo about the Kharkanas court intrigue stuff so far though and am wondering whether we'll actually get to a battle in this book.

The real shame is that I'm reading most of it wishing the next chapter was about Hood's story again. It never is. :(

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 12, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Most of Hood's story is related via the goddamn Thel Akai and I started hating them after their first chapter and never let go.

A lot of that long-winded introspection about religion, principles and politics actually pays off at the end.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
They're pretty tiresome but I got a kick out of their scenes with Raest.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Come to think of that, I wouldn't be surprised if his experience with them was what started his path to being a tyrant. But yeah, Raest is always great.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

anilEhilated posted:

Come to think of that, I wouldn't be surprised if his experience with them was what started his path to being a tyrant. But yeah, Raest is always great.
Well, he outright said the he wanted to find a secluded spot to create a new civilization that "got things right" (to paraphrase). Obviously his methods of creating a perfect society made his subjects unhappy. With the single-mindedness of the Imass, it wouldn't be surprising if he was the only actual "Jaghut Tyrant," and the T'lan Imass went on a genocidal rampage just in case.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Reaper's Gale update: I'm laughing so much at the two Kenryll'ah from Midnight Tides who have taken up farming, and holy poo poo Fiddler's drum. The sappers are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fenrir posted:

Ok, so yes, Fiddler's Gral horse and Duiker's mare (which showed up later iirc) ...still, like I said, you can count the examples on your fingers without running out.

Off the top of my head...

Ganoes
Iskaral Pust
Kruppe
Samar Dev
Fiddler
Duiker

It's a recurrent theme among his favourite characters.

Plus every horse tribe he writes gets brutally beaten into the ground over the course of the books.