Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I haven't read it. It's got that The Lottery (Shriley Jackson) vibe, but it's obviously not it. The doorknob twist is pretty corny to me, but it might work pretty well in the text.

It would help if you say what year you read it first, 2010, 1995? Just for an upper limit on the publishing.

1999-2000, a photocopied version my English 8 teacher gave to us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Sugar Boy rules.

I would totally reread that book if I didn't already have plans to reread Midnight’s Children soon.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is there a thread here for the Aubrey-Maturin series?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Is there a thread here for the Aubrey-Maturin series?

Yes, a bit further down, inactive since March. Can't link it for you because I'm posting via the app at the moment.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

mcustic posted:

Yes, a bit further down, inactive since March. Can't link it for you because I'm posting via the app at the moment.

Awesome, thanks

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My book club read Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart this month. Our meeting is tonight, and my friend always likes to bring discussion questions in case conversation hits a lull. However, she couldn't find any, and I'm having difficulties as well.

Does anyone have any resources I can bring? Or, since it's a TBB favorite, does anyone want to give me some topics/questions to bring?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

My book club read Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart this month. Our meeting is tonight, and my friend always likes to bring discussion questions in case conversation hits a lull. However, she couldn't find any, and I'm having difficulties as well.

Does anyone have any resources I can bring? Or, since it's a TBB favorite, does anyone want to give me some topics/questions to bring?

If you want to poo poo on the proverbial floor, bring up cultural appropriation.

Otherwise I'd talk about trickster myths and the adaptation of traditional folk tales for modern fantasy. Almost every set piece in BoB, from the gold making GBS threads goat on down, is taken out of traditional folk tales then re-imagined.

The other really magical thing about BoB is that there are no real villains; just about every character is humanized and given depth and a chance to earn the reader's sympathy.

You could also talk about moral inversions. The slight flaw in the character. Murdering someone who deserves it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

is talking about a book really that hard man

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

No, and I don't like having structured questions, but the others do to entice more discussion, and I'm a team player.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How do you pronounce Andre Dubus III?

One of his stories ruined my life the other day and I've struggled to describe it to people because I don't know how to pronounce the author's name.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Otherwise I'd talk about trickster myths and the adaptation of traditional folk tales for modern fantasy. Almost every set piece in BoB, from the gold making GBS threads goat on down, is taken out of traditional folk tales then re-imagined.

On that topic, anyone have recommendations for more books in that vein, i.e. modern adaptations of traditional trickster folk tales?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ToxicFrog posted:

On that topic, anyone have recommendations for more books in that vein, i.e. modern adaptations of traditional trickster folk tales?

Neil Gaiman made a decent attempt with Anansi Boys.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

I had fun with Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cheerfullydrab posted:

How do you pronounce Andre Dubus III?

One of his stories ruined my life the other day and I've struggled to describe it to people because I don't know how to pronounce the author's name.

Wikipedia yo: His surname is pronounced "Duh-BYOOSE", with the accent falling on the second syllable, as in "profuse".

I would probably write "d'abuse but without the a"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Wikipedia yo: His surname is pronounced "Duh-BYOOSE", with the accent falling on the second syllable, as in "profuse".

I would probably write "d'abuse but without the a"

Thank you.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

A human heart posted:

Reading books is hard, man. Now you want to talk about them too?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/small-beer-press-fiction

any of this good?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I've only read North American Lake Monsters, which is under the 'More than $10 Average' tier, roughly what I paid for it. It was a decent horror collection with at least three strong stories, but I traded it in at a book store for store credit. I don't think I'll revisit it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Lydia Millet does good adult fiction, not sure about her YA stuff

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Everything I recognise is good. Small Beer is good. But what you really want to be spending your money on is Mark Z. Danielewski's clothing range, right? http://markzdanielewski.com/ Like the Yggdrasil zip-up hoodie and "It's mine" bag (explicit!) They even come with page numbers!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

*hunched, deep in thought, fingers rubbing chin* I wonder if the people who sell bad videogames for low prices have good taste in books

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I read so much. But I feel I am a jaded adult. I miss the sparkly warmth reading Harry Potter under the covers gave me. That's really what I am seeking when I read but forgot until now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lampsacus posted:

I read so much. But I feel I am a jaded adult. I miss the sparkly warmth reading Harry Potter under the covers gave me. That's really what I am seeking when I read but forgot until now.

Read Bridge of Birds, it's the closest you'll get

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

gwaarrk posted:

I just finished reading Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt and it was a pretty good creepy horror book, but in the epilogue he says that he changed stuff for the american version including the ending. And so far I can not find the original dutch ending online, does anyone have a link to it or could just spoil it for me?
I just finished HEX, and I need to know. :mad:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm getting depressed by reading all the comments online about the actress playing Hermione Granger in the new stage play :smith:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I'm getting depressed by reading all the comments online about the actress playing Hermione Granger in the new stage play :smith:

I guess she's some sort of a... black mage :rimshot:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lampsacus posted:

if you want sparkles under the covers, there's a ton of weird "erotica"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
yeah hi long time reader first time caller just had a quick question where the gently caress is the book club thread thank you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mel Mudkiper posted:

yeah hi long time reader first time caller just had a quick question where the gently caress is the book club thread thank you

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774553

Ha I had the same problem earlier. Trick is you gotta search for "botm". There's no room to have the full sentence "Book of the Month" + title and author on top.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774553

Ha I had the same problem earlier. Trick is you gotta search for "botm". There's no room to have the full sentence "Book of the Month" + title and author on top.

ITS JUNE THOUGH!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mel Mudkiper posted:

ITS JUNE THOUGH!

AH gently caress

idk the poll for choosing the book is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777499

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
"I Sing the Body Electric" is the best conceived title for a poem and also for an anthology, album, song and play and others.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Is there a Harry Potter thread?

Early audience reports from the Cursed Child previews are hitting the Internet. The plot sounds batshit crazy:

Albus Potter and Scorpio Malfoy, who are super BFFs, steal a time turner to go back and try to save Cedric Diggory (reason=?????), only to accidentally create a dark alternate future where Harry died in book 7 and Voldemort took over the world. They eventually fix things. Cameos by past and future versions of almost every character who's ever been in the series.

It sounds both :psyduck: and :black101:

I legitimately can't wait to read this crazy motherfucker when the script comes out. :shepspends:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Further thoughts:

I thought time turners didn't work that way.

The plot is literally Back to the Future and even more literally that fan musical, A Very Potter Sequel.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Full plot descriptions:

Part 1 - http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sop22s

Part 2 - http://victorkrvm.tumblr.com/post/145680264471/in-depth-plot-summary-of-cursed-child-part-two

Spoilers, duh.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
With regards to certain stories working best in specific mediums, why would a time-travel storyin the Harry Potter universe be made as a play? That doesn't really make sense.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Part one got taken down but I'm dying laughing at parts of part 2. JK Rowling has gone over the top and, as someone who was never super invested, I'm loving it. I bet the few remaining diehard HP fans I know are going to be furious.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Franchescanado posted:

With regards to certain stories working best in specific mediums, why would a time-travel storyin the Harry Potter universe be made as a play? That doesn't really make sense.

You couldn't be more wrong, the second Harry Potter musical (A Very Potter Sequel) is a time travel story and it's brilliant.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
fly away troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I'm not trolling, the plot is legitimately ingenious.