Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

R. Mute posted:

Also worth noting that you have to put the invasion troops in an army, give them an order for an amphibious/para assault (selecting both start and end locations and then adding the troops to that order when it appears on the map), let it plan for like 70 days or something, have air/naval superiority/intel near the target area and then press the button and hope the game decides to play along.

Which is rather overly complicated for what shouldn't really be all that difficult.

If by overly complicated you mean not really complicated at all and completely in line with common sense? I expect most people will get tripped up trying to do their first invasion without any planning expecting they can just go ahead and do it, but after that it's pretty easy to figure out what you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Gamerofthegame posted:

look at the battleplans bar carefully

:downs:

Oh

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

nessin posted:

If by overly complicated you mean not really complicated at all and completely in line with common sense? I expect most people will get tripped up trying to do their first invasion without any planning expecting they can just go ahead and do it, but after that it's pretty easy to figure out what you need.

It doesn't tell you what your naval cap is and if you try to assign over your cap just doesn't assign any of them instead of assigning up to the cap.

Your allies running naval missions apparently gives you no intel because I had the only sea area I was crossing swarming with ships from Spain, my faction member and ally in the war, and it showed me having a flat zero intel despite being able to see the whole area and knowing that there were no enemy ships in it.

It also doesn't reassign convoys from trade to carry the invasion despite the fact that the invasion takes like at most a week so if you don't have enough convoys for both you have to manually go in and disable trade and then come back and reenable it afterwards.

It lets you start paradrop orders from airbases with no valid transports but then when you go to select the destination it just says that it's invalid because it's not within the range of the transports(which is 0, because there are none).

It's not that the actual concept of what you need to do is overly complex, it's that the game goes out of its way to not tell you which one of the required pieces is missing. It just doesn't happen and you're left to comb over the various relevant screens(which include some that you would not expect to be relevant) to find which of the specific requirements you are not meeting.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
In my game there is a "Chinese People's Republic" and a "People's Republic of China"

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

slavatuvs posted:

In my game there is a "Chinese People's Republic" and a "People's Republic of China"

SPLITTERS!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I just completed a massive project to replace my entire air force with state of the art modern planes, and was left with several hundred old airframes lying around in reserve. I probably should have held on to them so I'd have something to fall back on when the Germans finally get around to invading me, but instead I just shipped the whole lot of ~600 planes, of various types, to France as lend-lease. Since then I've gone from having about 10 air force experience to having 160 and it's still climbing, so I guess they're getting some good use out of them.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
E: dp

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Successfully launched a coup in Ireland, with my party having about 55% popular support, and the breakaway Irish Peoples' Republic spawned with literally zero troops. Not one division. I sent a single division of volunteers over and that ended up being the coup's entire military strength, and they surrendered before that division even saw combat.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What causes the USSR to be taken over by Trotsky?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

What causes the USSR to be taken over by Trotsky?

You have to put off the Great Purge until after the Fourth International is founded, and then during the Great Purge event chain choose to purge nobody. You then get an option to either abandon Stalinism and fight a small civil war against the few Stalin-loyalist holdouts, or stick with Stalinism and fight a fuckoff huge civil war against the Trotskyists. If you do the purge event chain too early, purging nobody just results in a right-wing uprising instead of a Trotskyist coup.

I went Trot and am currently spreading the permanent revolution to as many unaligned states as possible.

Coups seem to be broken, though, I've now had two in a row spawn with no troops at all and get immediately reconquered by their parent country.

e: also, funnily enough, while Trotsky immediately purges fascist and Stalinist sympathizers from the government (so going fascist ceases to be an option), he doesn't purge Alexander loving Kerensky or the democratic reformers, which means that if you really want to, you can make all of Stalin's worst fears come true by making the Trotskyist plot actually lead to the dissolution of the USSR.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 10, 2016

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
just realized venice isn't an island in this game. what kind of shameful loving paradox game doesn't have a stupid detached venice. disgusted.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'll have to give a Trot run a go and see how far I can export the permanent revolution. gently caress Stalin.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'll have to give a Trot run a go and see how far I can export the permanent revolution. gently caress Stalin.
Ditto.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Starting a coup in other countries seems way too easy.

I agree with whoever said the GB AI is bad, the African Theater is hilariously easy to dominate by yourself as Italy. There's also a lot of really weird decisions the battleplan AI makes, like when you have one enemy province that needs a unit to walk onto it to flip it to your colour it sends 10 divisions of infantry just to walk onto that tile and then walk back to the front line. That, along with really bad shuffling across fronts where I have to wait loving weeks just for the entirety of my Ethiopian troops to settle down after they took one province and decide to play musical chairs across the entire front line.

Loving it apart from those nitpicks though, I just can't stick with one playthrough because I learn so much by the time I've made any progress on my current one. :negative:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
What controls how many divisions I can recruit at once? I've started several campaigns and gotten wrecked in all of them--it just takes for loving ever to get boots on the ground. This is in no way simpler than HOI3--all the production line poo poo and division designing and stuff is arcane as gently caress

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Luigi Thirty posted:

How do you fire the Trot event?

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Don't know if this has come up in the thread- but the one thing Paradox needs to fix is the disband exploit. In multiplayer we had people disbanding their troops trapped in pockets so they could retain the manpower and resources. Perhaps it makes sense to say if your units are in low supply that if they are disbanded all manpower and equipment is lost.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Ahahahaha, turning Luxembourg communist results in it being named 'Rosa Luxembourg'

Also, Bordiga leads communist Italy.

PleasingFungus posted:

How do you fire the Trot event?

Mister Bates posted:

You have to put off the Great Purge until after the Fourth International is founded, and then during the Great Purge event chain choose to purge nobody. You then get an option to either abandon Stalinism and fight a small civil war against the few Stalin-loyalist holdouts, or stick with Stalinism and fight a fuckoff huge civil war against the Trotskyists. If you do the purge event chain too early, purging nobody just results in a right-wing uprising instead of a Trotskyist coup.

I went Trot and am currently spreading the permanent revolution to as many unaligned states as possible.

Coups seem to be broken, though, I've now had two in a row spawn with no troops at all and get immediately reconquered by their parent country.

e: also, funnily enough, while Trotsky immediately purges fascist and Stalinist sympathizers from the government (so going fascist ceases to be an option), he doesn't purge Alexander loving Kerensky or the democratic reformers, which means that if you really want to, you can make all of Stalin's worst fears come true by making the Trotskyist plot actually lead to the dissolution of the USSR.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Sharzak posted:

What controls how many divisions I can recruit at once? I've started several campaigns and gotten wrecked in all of them--it just takes for loving ever to get boots on the ground. This is in no way simpler than HOI3--all the production line poo poo and division designing and stuff is arcane as gently caress

You can "recruit" as many divisions as you want at any one time. In the deployment tab, there's a button to "train" a division type. When you click this button, You'll see a box with the selected division type and two bars. The first bar represents the material and manpower you need to create a division. If you have enough manpower and equipment (tanks, rifles, artillery, etc.) for that division type, the bar will be full. The second bar is the training level- you need at least 20% training to deploy, but filling the bar (just by waiting) will spit the units out as "trained" which makes them significantly more effective in combat. Next to these two bars, you'll see a little button that lets you deploy them to the map.

Here's how training multiple divisions of the same type works: You can either train in series or sequentially (or both at the same time). You may see that little 1/infinity icon in the division box- by default, the game will keep trying to train a new division every time you deploy one that you've trained, but you can set that to a specific number. You can also train divisions in series- there's a button that will add a second set of two bars (or as many as you want). These will then take the manpower and equipment from your general pool and start training new divisions. These also fall under the sequential training order, so if you have 5 sets of bars and have 5 selected for the sequence count, you'll end up with 25 divisions trained 5 at a time.

Of course, if you want boots on the ground fast, you COULD just sequentially train 100 divisions, but the training bars won't fill if you're not meeting certain supply requirements (you don't have enough rifles/tanks/artillery/etc.) Also, if you don't have enough manpower, you won't be able to get more divisions. It's not really a problem for the USA or USSR, but you might need to change the conscription laws if you're Germany and don't have enough divisions to hold off the eastern and western front at the same time.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I cant lend-lease to Hungary or Mongolia as the USSR because they don't have convoys...

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Yes, lend-lease over land seem to not be a thing.

A Germany that has taken the whole of France can't send equipment to Italy without having the convoys sunk by Britain, as I found out in mp. My free Panzer 2s :qq:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
More serious problem/annoyance - in the late game, the AI seems to love declaring war on totally random minors, dragging them into the enemy faction and complicating your mop-up operation as they open up new fronts all over the goddamn place.

Also, I can't figure out any reasonable way of fighting in high-attrition areas without it massacring your men, and your unit experience along with it.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 10, 2016

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Strudel Man posted:

More serious problem/annoyance - in the late game, the AI seems to love declaring war on totally random minors, dragging them into the enemy faction and complicating your mop-up operation as they open up new fronts all over the goddamn place.

Hitler sits in his office, closing his eyes and pointing at the map. "Guatemala..."

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I picked historical focus, it's 1945, Germany has vastly superior forces to me, and I told Hitler to go gently caress himself at every possible opportunity (no tech exchange, no on Molotov-Ribbentrop, etc). Germany has still not declared war on me. They're in a perfect position to do so, and yet, no Barbarossa.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So how do I keep up unit experience? I had two tank divisions in the Spanish civil war and got up to max veteran and seemed to drop down a rank within a few days which seems ridiculous to me.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is anyone in the opt in beta crashing a ton once the war starts?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Watching streams of this, I wish this was how combat in Stellaris worked. As is I am tempted, but I have a few questions. Are changing ideologies the only way to trigger civil wars? Or for example can you try to lobby and stop Jim Crow in the US and come to conflict with them over that?

As well is it possible/fun to play someone like Iran and make an Arabian Empire and actually fight relatively equally or are so far behind you need to be DDR Jake to do it?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I hope however the AI makes division templates gets reworked. After loading a late-game save as a few AI nations, it looks like they've just taken their cheapest infantry division (usually a low-priority colonial garrison) and added a couple of support battalions and infantry battalions over 10 years. I don't think I saw and AI infantry division with more than 6 combat battalions, not counting things like the USA's National Guard template. The USA managed to replace a light tank battalion with medium tanks in their default tank division, but that was the only change I saw in tank divisions.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Eimi posted:

As well is it possible/fun to play someone like Iran and make an Arabian Empire and actually fight relatively equally or are so far behind you need to be DDR Jake to do it?

Possible yes, but early expansion will be hindered by the United Kingdom's commanding presence in the region. Though you'd be fighting them sooner or later anyway, doing so once the war is raging is a better option since the UK will be much more distracted on other fronts.

Edit: did a minor update on the OP to let people know that game is good, more stuff to follow including maybe using the second post as a brief "how do I play this game?" section. ExtraNoise, do you have a link or anything to something official for your modern day mod you're working on, or is that still very early days? I assume yours is a completely separate project to KillerRabbit's?

Drone fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 10, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
What are the exact settings I should be using to save flags in? I thought it was just that I'd used 24 bit instead of 32 bit tgas, but even after converting all my flags to 32 bit they still aren't loading and the error log is still insisting they're in the wrong format.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Raenir Salazar posted:

So how do I keep up unit experience? I had two tank divisions in the Spanish civil war and got up to max veteran and seemed to drop down a rank within a few days which seems ridiculous to me.

Get field hospitals in your support and don't take losses.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

MikeC posted:

Is anyone in the opt in beta crashing a ton once the war starts?

I joined the beta and it managed to speed up the game considerably, which sucks because its also giving me CTDs every 5 mins for no reason as far as I can tell.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Get field hospitals in your support and don't take losses.

This is 1937 and they went from max experience to losing an entire rank in a few days while taking zero losses and are out of combat. The only way I can keep their experience going is actually to keep them in combat as much as possible.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Goddamn, got several Italian and German divisions bottled up in Coruna, but they are just impossible to get rid of with my Soviet volunteer tanks/mountain infantry. :argh:
That drat town is the only thing keeping the civil war going....and the retarded AI is busily garrisoing all the parts of Spain where there's no combat....

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 10, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is 1937 and they went from max experience to losing an entire rank in a few days while taking zero losses and are out of combat. The only way I can keep their experience going is actually to keep them in combat as much as possible.

Yeah, but they lose experience as they replenish their supplies. And seeing as armoured divisions have fewer pieces of supplies the replenishment takes away even more experience.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

AceRimmer posted:

Goddamn, got several Italian and German divisions bottled up in Coruna, but they are just impossible to get rid of with my Soviet volunteer tanks/mountain infantry. :argh:
That drat town is the only thing keeping the civil war going....and the retarded AI is busily garrisoing all the parts of Spain where there's no combat....

Just had the same problem with Seville. :argh:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Well, not bad. Friggin' Japan screwed things up, of course, by grabbing most/all of Turkey in the peace deal, but still. Not bad.

(Except for the name thing.)

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
And now the German AI has declared war on me lol with no land border between us so whatever. How hosed am I going into this war without having done any purging?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Just had the same problem with Seville. :argh:
I'm guessing the Spanish AI just goes "beep boop there's no Nationalist divisions left, so time to go to peacetime posture" :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Strudel Man posted:

Well, not bad. Friggin' Japan screwed things up, of course, by grabbing most/all of Turkey in the peace deal, but still. Not bad.

(Except for the name thing.)

Not having Egypt and trying to remake the Roman Empire bothers me more. :colbert: