Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
You know that section in cdbs where you put long short and medium term goals?

It's that but on an index card and taken with religious fervor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Laranzu posted:

You know that section in cdbs where you put long short and medium term goals?

It's that but on an index card and taken with religious fervor

My reads "long term Scarlett Johansson, medium term Kandy Cane from the Pink Poodle and short term that barista from the Starbucks down the street".

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Goal Card posted:

1. gently caress Bitches
2. Get Money

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Great a CT* as MCPON, can't wait for mandatory anime.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

Can't wait for the first release from his office.

This guy gave me a speech about how his wife and him keep their goal cards next to their alarm clocks. They wake up and the first thing they do is review and update them

Then he got angry because I don't even have a goal card and my wife and I don't want kids.

Good pick. He'll fit right in.

It would be everything I could do to not laugh at that poo poo.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Laranzu posted:

Can't wait for the first release from his office.

This guy gave me a speech about how his wife and him keep their goal cards next to their alarm clocks. They wake up and the first thing they do is review and update them

Then he got angry because I don't even have a goal card and my wife and I don't want kids.

Good pick. He'll fit right in.

Lmao look at this loser without a goal card :cmon:

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

New boot camp uniform item: Goal Card to be carried in your front left breast pocket, inspectable at all times with Navy approved goals.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Null Integer posted:

New boot camp uniform item: Goal Card to be carried in your front left breast pocket, inspectable at all times with Navy approved goals.

1. Make Third Class
2. Get hawt wifey who has less than three kids
3. University of Phoenix degree in Bizunuss Manugment
4. Nothing past DRB this year
5. Lease a 2006 Escalade
6. Sailor of Quarter

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dingleberry posted:

1. Make Third Class
2. Get hawt wifey who has less than three kids
3. University of Phoenix degree in Bizunuss Manugment
4. Nothing past DRB this year
5. Lease a 2006 Escalade
6. Sailor of Quarter

Well 2 out of 6 ain't bad I guess.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I got my goal card a few days ago. It's blue and has my picture on it and expires just before I turn 65.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

poopkitty posted:

I got my goal card a few days ago. It's blue and has my picture on it and expires just before I turn 65.

This post should be framed

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

poopkitty posted:

Wait, is this is the goal that goes on the card or the goal card itself? I mean, I would wake up every morning and stare at that FREEDOM card every morning.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I do really really want that DD-214 blanket. No joke

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Laranzu posted:

I do really really want that DD-214 blanket. No joke

I might get one if I end up making deployment before I punch out.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Right before I Ieft a bunch of Sailor town bars seemed to be on the brink. Someone (a civilian I guess) needs to do a documentary on these business owners. There's a whole lot of interesting questions involving safety nets (I doubt there's insurance for Okinawa sailors hosed up again), their social roles (If you're a Japanese citizen that hates us, do you like Sailor town and Philippino Alley because it keeps Americans away or hate those places because they cater to Sailors. Involvement with foreign Intel agencies? And there's probably a really depressing piece in there about the person who just crumbles under insurmountable debt and organized crime pressures after trying to weather a storm like this for a few months.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Sounds like a really good subject for a Vice documentary.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Woo orders in NROWS for Dam Neck C school this August. Car rental included for the 55 days. Time to get my learn on!

Updawgs
Oct 14, 2012

Gonna sine yo pitty
on da runny kine
Hey yall,

I'll be speaking to a recruiter in the next week or so, in interest of enlisting. As far as rates go, CTN looks right up my alley, and after looking at the CTN FY16 Summary PDF, Zone A manning is at 87%, which I believe is undermanned. I understand timing/availability plays a factor in rate availability. How far does the navy recruiter's capabilities extend, in terms of helping me sign for this rate (asvab/TS passing considered)? Any tips regarding how to convey that I'd be gunning for CTN, without looking 'job locked'?

Thanks!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The recruiter can't do a loving thing to guarantee a rate. Only the detailer at MEPS can do that poo poo. A recruiter can only do things like get you a free E-3 once you graduate boot (MAKE SURE ITS IN WRITING). ASVAB you can take at MEPS but it would better for you if you did it before you go there since they do poo poo like wake you up at 3am to start your processing day. As long as you don't have massive debts and are not a terrorist/communist/dopefiend it shouldn't be a problem to get a clearance.

When you do your medical exam at MEPS at the end of it is when you talk to the detailer. You can tell them "I am looking for x job" and they will have all the information on availability and timing. As long as you are not in some big rush to go in you can be in DEP (delayed entry) for up to 1 year and that will get you pretty much whatever job you want as long as your ASVAB qualifies you.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Never again volunteer yourself

Run as far as you can run, get away before you get sucked in to the abyss.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Actually there is a cool option for being "undesignated" where you get to try all the jobs before you choose one, so you really know what you want to do and aren't stuck. Forums poster Mr. Nice! can tell you more :)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

Actually there is a cool option for being "undesignated" where you get to try all the jobs before you choose one, so you really know what you want to do and aren't stuck. Forums poster Mr. Nice! can tell you more :)

Eat poo poo and die, only go undesignated if you want to chip paint for 4 years or work in a line shack or something else extremely menial.

Basically only go undesignated if you made like a 35 on the ASVAB. If you make anything higher, pick a rate, literally anything is better than undesignated paint-chipper.

Dead serious, do some basic Google searching, look for people who can describe what they do in the Navy, don't just blind pick. If there's a civilian job you're interested in, odds are there's a Navy analogue.

If you score really poorly, wait some time, and retake the ASVAB after studying, before enlisting. Don't believe any of the bullshit the recruiter says and always critically examine everything like you would a used car salesman's sales pitch, because the recruiters job is to get you to sign on the dotted line, and some will tell you how it is, but others chase the almighty quota and will lie to your face about what you can do.

Also note that when you enlist in the military you enlist twice. Once when you get to MEPS and join the Delayed Entry Program (you can drop from this any time and not join the Navy no matter what the recruiter says), and your actual no poo poo enlistment before you ship to boot camp, this one carries the weight of the UCMJ behind it, but you can still wash out for like 6 months after and not really face any negative consequences.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 15, 2016

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

There's a far better place for you with an ASVAB of 35 and it's called the Seabees

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

maffew buildings posted:

There's a far better place for you with an ASVAB of 35 and it's called the Seabees

I've never met a Seabee in the civilian world who wasn't a fat drunk on a motorcycle

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah that about sums it up

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
don't be a nuke
don't loving do it
if he says nuke run away
i will say that being a nuke was a hard thing and it sucked and it was the best WORST decision of my life.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
You are out now ryand?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Sir Lucius posted:

You are out now ryand?

In about 30 days. I'm about to do the transitory things.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
A lot of people talk about being undesignated as the worst thing in the world but a lot of those people never actually worked in deck.

It's really not that bad. You get to do actual physical work, plenty of sunshine, blow whistles that everyone else hates, talk on the 1MC, and pretty much have one of the least demanding and low stress jobs you could have. People have literally zero expectations of you, so it's super easy to excel.

Have you ever heard of a painting emergency? What do you do when you gently caress up painting something? You just paint it again.

With all that said, pick a cushy job where you get to sit in the AC all day.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Mr. Nice! posted:

With all that said, pick a cushy job where you get to sit in the AC all day.

Like Sonar Technicians!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
If for some reason I was forced to enlist in the Navy, literally the only jobs I would even remotely consider are CTN or CTI.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

ManMythLegend posted:

If for some reason I was forced to enlist in the Navy, literally the only jobs I would even remotely consider are CTN or CTI.

Only pick CTI if you are a furry or brony.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Seqenenra posted:

Like Sonar Technicians!

paging SPACE HOMOS

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Only pick CTI if you are a furry or brony.

10 years ago it was anime.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Mr. Nice! posted:

paging SPACE HOMOS

I used to help him fix his Mk 116 and block 1.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Seqenenra posted:

I used to help him fix his Mk 116 and block 1.

the jsm is spreading

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Mr. Nice! posted:

10 years ago it was anime.

CTN is where all the anime weeaboos go.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Be SEAL. Get away with anything.

Best thing you can do for yourself about getting a clearance is (if you haven't done the paperwork already) start putting together the last 10 years of your life. Every address you've lived at, address of every job you've worked, estimated dates of residence and employment, etc. Be as accurate as possible, but don't sweat it if you're less than 100% sure, I've gotten the dates wrong and just changed them on my next resubmission a few years later and its fine. The goal is honesty.

The other thing is that if they have you fill out an SF86 (unlikely, this is the old paper application) make a loving copy and keep it. If you stay in long enough (5 years) you'll need almost all of this information again and I promise you that you won't remember the address of your high school jobs. If you do the online EQIP (likely...basically an online SF86) print a copy at the end and keep it. Otherwise don't sweat the clearance. It can take anywhere from a matter of days (I had my Secret in less than one business day :stare: ) to several months (the dozens of other times I submitted clearance paperwork for myself or others). It's just the machinery of bureaucracy rolling slowly. They're looking for evidence of untrustworthiness or something that makes you particularly vulnerable to bribery or extortion. They're not looking for an excuse to gently caress you over.

Get used to keeping a copy of all important paperwork. Expect that at some point in your career, the Navy will lose something very loving important and you'll have to prove something to make sure you get paid properly, or are eligible for a medal or promotion, or that you're ineligible for that horrible upcoming deployment because you just got back and it's loving illegal, etc. I'm not making it up when I say this is normal.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 15, 2016

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

The other thing is that if they have you fill out an SF86 (unlikely, this is the old paper application) make a loving copy and keep it. If you stay in long enough (5 years) you'll need almost all of this information again and I promise you that you won't remember the address of your high school jobs. If you do the online EQIP (likely...basically an online SF86) print a copy at the end and keep it.

Or just ask China for a copy of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Updawgs posted:

Hey yall,

I'll be speaking to a recruiter in the next week or so, in interest of enlisting. As far as rates go, CTN looks right up my alley, and after looking at the CTN FY16 Summary PDF, Zone A manning is at 87%, which I believe is undermanned. I understand timing/availability plays a factor in rate availability. How far does the navy recruiter's capabilities extend, in terms of helping me sign for this rate (asvab/TS passing considered)? Any tips regarding how to convey that I'd be gunning for CTN, without looking 'job locked'?

Thanks!

Who cares about advancement. If you join, join with the Intention of getting the gently caress out. Get your certs, get your clearance, get that sweet sweet GI bill and gtfo.

• Locked thread