Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Wait when were Jason Todd and Speedy sidekicks at the same time? Even in the compressed N52 timeline, wouldn't Jason have been some combination of dead or not yet Robin during that time?

EDIT: Why do I even care?

In real life, no. Jason didn't show up until the 83 and Roy had ditched the whole sidekick thing in the 70s. The Robin he was actually friends with was Dick because that was the one he was in the Teen Titans with.

Although really nothing about the character made sense in New52 seeing as Oliver Queen was like the same age as him so who would he even had been a sidekick to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So is either Flash or Batman series going to follow up with this investigation of the watchman bit? Or will it just be casually mentioned from here until the next big event?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Kingtheninja posted:

So is either Flash or Batman series going to follow up with this investigation of the watchman bit? Or will it just be casually mentioned from here until the next big event?

I sure hope it's in the Flash so I can continue never reading about it

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Travis343 posted:

I sure hope it's in the Flash so I can continue never reading about it

I hope they put Watchmen stuff in every book

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

My whole world will go topsy-turvy if DC has colorists who actually know what the gently caress and don't just paint everything in weak house-style garbage.

My world is very poorly moored, tbh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Squizzle's house has a print of the Injustice Batman horse teeth panel that's load bearing.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Norns posted:

I hope they put Watchmen stuff in every book

It's gonna be like Pandora in every #1 way back when.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's implied that Alfred will be dating Silk Specter.

Green Lanterns #1 preview
http://www.newsarama.com/29663-jessica-simon-star-in-buddy-space-crop-drama-with-rebirth-s-green-lanterns-1-preview.html

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 9, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm reading Night of the Owls right now including all tie-ins and boy just from this one issue of RHATO this comic is the wo-o-o-o-o-o-rst.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Squizzle's house has a print of the Injustice Batman horse teeth panel that's load bearing.

Apparently, that panel was redone for the trade paperback.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Now his roof collapsed. Way to go.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The gently caress is up with Sups blurry beard in Superman Rebirth? Someone is real happy with the photoshop blur tool at DC.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

I'm reading Night of the Owls right now including all tie-ins

No no no.
For Zero Year, just do Action Comics and just cause it kicks off a great run. Green Arrow is good too, but it's smack in the middle of Lemire's story.
Batgirl : Endgame was a pretty sweet mostly wordless Bengal drawn issue. Do that one when the time comes.

Batman #1 preview
http://www.newsarama.com/29664-dark-knight-has-an-insane-plan-in-rebirth-s-batman-1-preview.html

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 10, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

No no no.
For Zero Year, just do Action Comics and just cause it kicks off a great run. Green Arrow is good too, but it's smack in the middle of Lemire's story.
Batgirl : Endgame was a pretty sweet mostly wordless Bengal drawn issue. Do that one when the time comes.

Batman #1 preview
http://www.newsarama.com/29664-dark-knight-has-an-insane-plan-in-rebirth-s-batman-1-preview.html

In fact, for Death in the Family, you should actually skip the main Batman book and just read the Batman & Robin tie-in.

e: omg, Tim Sale variant cover

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Travis343 posted:

In fact, for Death in the Family, you should actually skip the main Batman book and just read the Batman & Robin tie-in.

e: omg, Tim Sale variant cover

Seriously that variant looks amazing. I am of the opinion that Sale draws the best Batman and his rogues and Gotham. His physique is so 90s but it just somehow WORKS. Plus it's a Gotham that resembles a noir city that's only matched by TAS.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wowzers the New 52 Mr. Freeze is a totally garbage character. Jesus. Talk about missing the loving point of why he became a favorite villain in the first place.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its the ice puns right?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SynthOrange posted:

Its the ice puns right?

Correct.

But no, really, there was a reason "Heart of Ice" got an Emmy for writing, and it's because it showed Mr. Freeze as a tragic, relatable villain largely of circumstance who has an empathetic reason for the things he's doing. He's still evil, and he kills people, and he's still a villain, but unlike most other Batman rogues he's not a completely irredeemable monster. A lot to near all of that is because of the whole Nora thing. Turning him into a mother-killing delusional sociopath eliminates any sort of moral nuance to his character in favor of making him just another mass-murdering sociopath who can only get worse, yet another nameless psycho among many.

God Batman Annual 1 sucked.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I hope the Narrator in Wacky Raceland turns out to also be Dr. Manhattan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not like it was a real Emmy. It was up against Tiny Toons and Goof Troop.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Whoopi says daytime Emmy counts.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't know they were doing a Batman/Avengers crossover.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

We're gonna get the weirdest Amalgam universe out of this crossover

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

It's not like it was a real Emmy. It was up against Tiny Toons and Goof Troop.

Well then Tiny Toons was robbed.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We will always stick together, and be best of friends forever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh man, that interior art, that's not good.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

Wowzers the New 52 Mr. Freeze is a totally garbage character. Jesus. Talk about missing the loving point of why he became a favorite villain in the first place.

They didn't miss the point. The "point" is what they were directly trying to subvert. Part of the point of a New52 is not to pull an Ultimate Marvel and say "They're the exact same except some minor thing". Or even worse, the same Freeze we've had for 20 years now. I'm not saying this Freeze is better or even good at all, but "It's different so it's bad" is a childish way to view the product of a complete reboot. Or at least partial reboot in Batman's case. I liked that story. After Arkham Origins, I can't say I need yet another DO YOU REMEMBER HEART OF ICE storyline.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

"It's different so it's bad"

It's bad, so it's bad. Does that work? Are you going to go to bat for fuckin' One-Face next?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Travis343 posted:

It's bad, so it's bad. Does that work? Are you going to go to bat for fuckin' One-Face next?

Say it's bad for reasons that actually matter. Not because it wasn't Heart of Ice. Don't be a baby.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SonicRulez posted:

I'm not saying this Freeze is better or even good at all, but "It's different so it's bad" is a childish way to view the product of a complete reboot.

I'm not saying that. I never said that. In fact, I literally voiced why I thought N52 Freeze sucks in one sentence in the post that followed up that one.

Toxxupation posted:

Turning him into a mother-killing delusional sociopath eliminates any sort of moral nuance to his character in favor of making him just another mass-murdering sociopath who can only get worse, yet another nameless psycho among many.

I'm fine with changes. This was a bad one, because it dehumanized a character. It's a change that makes a flatter character, a more monstrous and less nuanced character. That's why it's a bad change, not that they didn't do Heart of Ice again.

And like you even said it's basically one big inversion of Heart of Ice. It's not even that new or interesting an idea, because it's Snyder playing on people's expectations of Freeze from Heart of Ice and inverting them. If anything, N52 Freeze is "Mr. Freeze but Nora isn't actually his wife, just some lady he's obsessed with". It's not only bad in a sort of removed sense, it's bad because it's Snyder doing exactly what you claim to hate, going "Remember Heart of Ice? Well, what if Mr. Freeze was crazy."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's bad because it reduces a nuanced character to Another Crazy Guy Who Kills People, which is the last thing Batman's rogues gallery needed. It's bad because it's yet another example of New 52 trying to give everything an 'edge' or a 'twist' - not because they're better or creative or even interesting - but just because they can. I mentioned One-Face as an example - it's the same thing as Joker slicing his face off, Harley blowing up kids with video games, Mad Hatter mind-controlling people into drowning themselves, ad infinitum. It's artless, thoughtless, completely unnecessary tweaking and I'm still not sure what the point of any of it was, except villains with high body counts are apparently more threatening than interesting, multi-layered villains. They're all becoming Crazy Guys Who Kill People, just some of them use cold guns and some of them use knives and playing cards and Alice in Wonderland paraphernalia. It's dumb and lovely writing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SonicRulez posted:

Say it's bad for reasons that actually matter. Not because it wasn't Heart of Ice. Don't be a baby.

He gave a reason, explain why it's bad instead of trying to be that guy

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At no point was Freeze not a crazy guy who kills people. He called himself Mr. Freeze and used an ice gun!

That's the name of a frozen juice treat. Dude was crazy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gotham's spin on Heart of Ice was real good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Because it's genuinely boring and transforms a character with actual pathos into another insane villain with no depth whatsoever.,

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

At no point was Freeze not a crazy guy who kills people. He called himself Mr. Freeze and used an ice gun!

That's the name of a frozen juice treat. Dude was crazy.

I mean maybe he was calling himself Mr. Fries, that is his Christian name.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a place that serves burgers.

The guy is basically running around calling himself Carl's Jr. Crazy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Gotham [...] was real good.

well drat that's news.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If you checked out after a few episodes, give season 2 a shot. The show really found its footing once they figured out what to do with Barbara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

If you checked out after a few episodes, give season 2 a shot. The show really found its footing once they figured out what to do with Barbara.
I think I lost it after the episode with MGH superroids let someone pick up an ATM and then get crushed/break his arm when they wore off.

Killed the not quite fantastic feel that I thought they were going for.

Now I saw a preview with Fish and poo poo looks like Adam West Batman levels of kitch.