Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tuesday Nitro is reaching a point where Tony starts to get insufferable. Some of it isn't his fault, no one can make that many Surge plugs sound good. Sure Surge is the greatest drink known to man, but after awhile it rings hollow. But beyond the plugs and the terrible writing he's calling, he was a vindictive, petty man too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Tuesday Nitro is reaching a point where Tony starts to get insufferable. Some of it isn't his fault, no one can make that many Surge plugs sound good.

Manflurry would like a word

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

What about mongo

Never mind that poo poo

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I think Tony's biggest problem was his overuse of hyperbole.

"This is the greatest night in the history of our sport," was said way too many times, for example.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's that kind of thinking that led to WCW's demise, Rusty. Tony wasn't afraid to announce the fact that Nitro just kept getting better and better despite naysayers like yourself and Shave Seltzer.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Crazy exaggeration is the lifeblood of wrestling anyway. I miss the glory days of HE MUST BE 7'5!!! when the Giant came out

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Or Joey Styles screaming about how a bump DAMAGED HIS SPINE OH MY GOD

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I think Tony's biggest problem was his overuse of hyperbole.

"This is the greatest night in the history of our sport," was said way too many times, for example.

Huh weird, I never noticed that before

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Marquis de Pyro posted:

WE GOT A FLYING FOLEY!!!

REMEMBER FOLKS HASHTAG FLYING FOLEY!!!

*10 minutes later*

LOOKS LIKE HASHTAG FLYING FOLEY IS TRENDING ON TWITTER

Luigi Thirty posted:

Mongo ruled shut up

I am ON RECORD as a mongo liker

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I would kind of like to hear the poo poo announcers today applied to older wrestling. "Well, the WWE universe certainly has a divided opinion on this guy! Love him or hate him, you gotta respect X-Pac!"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
And here comes Hulk Hogan in the new #NWO shirt, which you can buy from the gift shop

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Crazy exaggeration is the lifeblood of wrestling anyway. I miss the glory days of HE MUST BE 7'5!!! when the Giant came out

Someone once fell from the top turnbuckle to the outside and jr was screaming that he fell thirty feet.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Possibly my favorite moment in WWE history is Michael Cole yelling HE COULD BE DEAD!!!!! when Vince McMahon fell off the side of the steel cage through a table

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Tuesday Nitro is reaching a point where Tony starts to get insufferable. Some of it isn't his fault, no one can make that many Surge plugs sound good. Sure Surge is the greatest drink known to man, but after awhile it rings hollow. But beyond the plugs and the terrible writing he's calling, he was a vindictive, petty man too.

in Tony's defense, imagine a world in which you got passed over for a job, the dude who got it was great for a year, and then proceeded to piss it all away and you have to go on tv to an audience of millions and try to put a shine to it as the idiot who got your promotion is fly fishing in montana

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Halloween Jack posted:

Shave Seltzer

Makes me laugh every time I see it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploding mummy posted:

in Tony's defense, imagine a world in which you got passed over for a job, the dude who got it was great for a year, and then proceeded to piss it all away and you have to go on tv to an audience of millions and try to put a shine to it as the idiot who got your promotion is fly fishing in montana

Sure but then there's the guy he held a grudge against for years and pounced on when he said something stupid on a gameshow.

Tony owned.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Schiavone being better than Michael Cole/JBL/Byron Saxton does not mean he was actually any good. Schiavone sucked nuts

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tony was actually good for a large part of his career because he announced wrestling like it was a sport and his voice was suited for it.

I wonder how much he was getting paid in those last few years.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Apparently the final 18 months of Nitro are about to be uploaded to the Network :suspense:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

Apparently the final 18 months of Nitro are about to be uploaded to the Network :suspense:

Any "highlights" of the pre collapse year are you guys most looking forward to?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

just another way wwe is trying to undermine tuesday nitro for the new live smackdown

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

The music near the end is a delight, hopefully it's not all dubbed over on the network. From real songs they overpaid for (I still have my limited edition of WCW Mayhem: The Soundtrack with Sting on the cover) to blatant rip offs to bad originals, Jimmy Hart was a busy man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDvsD1uzOSc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKdA9RqwGSQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAcd4KdHe8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsn0z5DE5lY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrePT3voYZ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMafucdnpdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XqI5B0OQeo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVbNSlgKqS0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX_aY5N6Dik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94J_Hsuc1a8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHihfxE0ZTk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW5SWd28BUo

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Sure but then there's the guy he held a grudge against for years and pounced on when he said something stupid on a gameshow.

Tony owned.

in Tony's defense, the man he held the grudge against was the person who actually made the decision to go with Bischoff so it's part and parcel of his misery

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

"Look at him, Gorilla. Andre must be pushing 500 tonight."

"I think at the weigh-in earlier, he was over 600, Jess. That's right, over six-hundred pounds."

"I don't think so, Gorilla, he looks to be about five hundred."

"That's right folks, five hundred and fifty pounds of giant are on the way to the ring right now."

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Platypus Farm posted:

"I think at the weigh-in earlier, he was over 600, Jess. That's right, over six-hundred pounds."

"That's right folks, five hundred and fifty pounds of giant are on the way to the ring right now."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9AbN5dySl4

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Platypus Farm posted:

Gorilla and Jesse's bickering was awesome, and leagues above today's lovely commentary that's just another platform for Vince to spew his own weird insecurities all over TV.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/WWE_Network_Bot/status/741314425664229376
Just got updated up to May 2000

Should I watch and spoil myself for Tuesday Nitros from a year from now?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Even better

https://twitter.com/WWE_Network_Bot/status/741314511244791810

The internet loved the reboot, but I knew it would fly over the typical viewer's heads

So far they only uploaded 9 new Nitros from 1999-2000

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

pre-repeated head trauma Daffney was so adorbz. Now she's gorgeous tho.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

CombineThresher posted:

Gorilla and Jesse's bickering was awesome, and leagues above today's lovely commentary that's just another platform for Vince to spew his own weird insecurities all over TV.

The funniest parts of their banter were always when gorilla would just give up, exasperated, and give him a "Highly unlikely, Jess"

I grew up listening to them, and then to gorilla and heenan and yeah, we aren't even talking leagues, we're talking literally hanging from the rafters at the garden better.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Platypus Farm posted:

The funniest parts of their banter were always when gorilla would just give up, exasperated, and give him a "Highly unlikely, Jess"

I grew up listening to them, and then to gorilla and heenan and yeah, we aren't even talking leagues, we're talking literally hanging from the rafters at the garden better.

I literally can't decide which is better, Gorilla and Heenan, or Gorilla and Ventura.

Jesse Ventura was the man, back in the day, who clued me in that it was the heels that more often than not had legitimate grievances, and the faces were whingy cheating tools. And when Gorilla was with Heenan, there was something awesome about the way Heenan would needle and needle and needle until the inevitable "Will you stop!"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Which led to the biggest WILL YOU STOP ever when Heenan wouldn't shut up during Flair/Savage at Wrestlemania 8. It even stunned poor Bobby into a meek little "Don't yell at me."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DeathChicken posted:

Which led to the biggest WILL YOU STOP ever when Heenan wouldn't shut up during Flair/Savage at Wrestlemania 8. It even stunned poor Bobby into a meek little "Don't yell at me."

I thought that was at Royal Rumble '92 when Flair came out second and Bobby lost his mind saying "You gotta be fair to Flair!" over and over again.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Flair coming out at the Rumble is accompanied by Bobby reacting as though he just watched his kid get run over by a tractor.

Wrestlemania 8 is where he won't shut up about Flair's robe during nearly the entire walk down the aisle, until finally Gorilla screams "WILL YOU STOP?!"

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I thought that was at Royal Rumble '92 when Flair came out second and Bobby lost his mind saying "You gotta be fair to Flair!" over and over again.

Third, not second.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yay, I'm wrong about everything!

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

I literally can't decide which is better, Gorilla and Heenan, or Gorilla and Ventura.

Jesse Ventura was the man, back in the day, who clued me in that it was the heels that more often than not had legitimate grievances, and the faces were whingy cheating tools. And when Gorilla was with Heenan, there was something awesome about the way Heenan would needle and needle and needle until the inevitable "Will you stop!"

I think that the body and the brain were equal as far as color guys. The thing is that Gorilla was always the rock. Either of them werent' anywhere near as good when they commented with vince. I mean, they were still excellent, but either one of them with monsoon was just amazing.

It's actually kind of funny. A childhood friend and I were talking the other day about wrestling, since we both grew up renting whatever tapes we could find at the local mom & pop, and for both of us, our memories of specific matches aren't ever that clear unless we've watched them recently. Same goes for entire PPVs. But we can both remember exactly things gorilla, jess and bobby said that made us laugh and laugh.

Oh poo poo, what about some of those prime time skits with bobby and gorilla? Or when bobby came into WM 9 turned around on his donkey? that was better than the whole show.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ventura's heel commentator personality was good. Were there any great heel commentators before him, or was he kind of the prototype?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was pretty fun before he retired when he'd be announcing, get up to have a match, then come back to announcing. If he lost Monsoon would make fun of him.