Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Desmond posted:

I didn't say it was the same thing, in fact pointed out it wasn't the same thing as being sent to camps. If you haven't seen the movie yet, the suicide was prompted by the parents' severe religious over-protection to begin with.

No, it wasn't. The parents were religious and overprotective, but they're not abusive, they're not violent, and they don't go around the bend until the youngest girl, Cecilia, jumps out of her bedroom window after previously attempting to kill herself by slitting her wrists. Cecilia's suicide is never explained in such clear and facile terms; in the book, the boys across the street even find and read her diary, trying to figure out why she'd kill herself, and there's nothing it in that explains anything. Her diary entries (which also feature in the movie) don't explain her suicide. The psychiatrist's theory that she killed herself because of sexual repression is just as facile and nonexplanatory. The neighbors' varying explanations, that she just did it as a way to get a boy's attention, or for unrequited 13-year-old love, are just as facile and nonexplanatory. That's a big part of the point: you, the viewer, are like the boys and like the girls' parents, watching them from afar and knowing what they do, but not knowing who they are. The book and the film (which is a masterpiece, it's an amazing film that was infinitely better than the similar _American Beauty_ of the same year) have a *lot* more going on in them than "religious nutbag parents drove their children to suicide."

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The book is also really good. I like Jeffrey Eugenides a lot.

Prof. Moriarty
Dec 6, 2003
Not the regular Professor Moriarty, the hologram Professor Moriarty where the holodeck malfunctioned and he created the whole fake hologram enterprise and fooled the Captain. Oh, and he tried to escape with his girlfriend once, but he was foiled.

Crow Jane posted:

The thing that kills me about my friend who had to go through that is that she is genuinely one of the sweetest, kindest, most generous people I've ever known. Once I had to cancel plans with her due to coming down with the flu, and she dropped by my apartment with a pint of miso soup and a couple DVDs on her way to the venue, because she wanted me to have a nice evening even if I couldn't go out. I can't imagine any parent not being proud of someone like that. I didn't meet her til we were both in our early twenties, and I've never met her parents, but goddamn do I have some choice words for them.

Of course, the hosed up thing is that they would probably claim responsibility for her being such a great person. Their "intervention" really worked miracles! (And see? It obviously does NOT mess kids up; she's perfect evidence)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
When I pointed out to my fundamentalist mother-in-law that my wife and I (both irreligious) are both good and decent people without Jesus her explanation was that this is because we were raised by Christians, implying that our son will not be a good person because of our lack of Jesus. So yes, they would claim responsibility for her positive qualities.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Imagined posted:

When I pointed out to my fundamentalist mother-in-law that my wife and I (both irreligious) are both good and decent people without Jesus her explanation was that this is because we were raised by Christians, implying that our son will not be a good person because of our lack of Jesus. So yes, they would claim responsibility for her positive qualities.

This argument never works with my fundie friends & family, either. (My wife was raised fundamentalist Christian and I was in that environment for about 10 years myself, but never as a child.)
The answer is usually "but without Jesus in your heart it's all for naught"

In other words, it's not about your actions or character, it's only about jeebus in your heart. I tried to show my wife some of the kidnapping posts and she couldn't finish reading them. She found them too upsetting, having known a couple of her childhood friends that went to some camp(s) of similar nature.
And while the camps may be going away, there are other things taking their place. A good example is "Journey With Christ", a drat-near kidnap-type experience for a 3-4 day weekend in isolation with other youth. The kids get broken down over a couple days, then "rebuilt in his image". It's terrible and while not as outwardly terrible as the camps, it's still plenty bad.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Basebf555 posted:

drat I'm a Jew who's never been anywhere except the East and West coast of the country. If I ever went to some of these southern states it would probably feel like I stepped into a bizarro universe. It would probably be a bit scary to be honest.

My now best friend is a non practicing Jew who moved from San Diego to Austin during my high school years, back in the early 2000's.

He loathed everything about Austin, Texas's most progressive city, so I don't doubt your experience would be much different. If you hate humidity, bugs, Latinos, gentrification, country Bros, heat and hippies, you'll find something to hate in Austin.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Since I'm still playing catch up reading the thread, I did want to say thank you so much for the write ups Droogie. I remember when the West Mesa thing hit the news and people talking about it on the bus with our driver mentioning he'd known some of the women who turned up dead as they'd been on his bus. The Desert Sands, I go past there regularly on my way to UNM Main. I look forward to any more write ups you do and if you ever write a book, you've got a guaranteed sale with me.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Phanatic posted:

No, it wasn't. The parents were religious and overprotective, but they're not abusive, they're not violent, and they don't go around the bend until the youngest girl, Cecilia, jumps out of her bedroom window after previously attempting to kill herself by slitting her wrists. Cecilia's suicide is never explained in such clear and facile terms; in the book, the boys across the street even find and read her diary, trying to figure out why she'd kill herself, and there's nothing it in that explains anything. Her diary entries (which also feature in the movie) don't explain her suicide. The psychiatrist's theory that she killed herself because of sexual repression is just as facile and nonexplanatory. The neighbors' varying explanations, that she just did it as a way to get a boy's attention, or for unrequited 13-year-old love, are just as facile and nonexplanatory. That's a big part of the point: you, the viewer, are like the boys and like the girls' parents, watching them from afar and knowing what they do, but not knowing who they are. The book and the film (which is a masterpiece, it's an amazing film that was infinitely better than the similar _American Beauty_ of the same year) have a *lot* more going on in them than "religious nutbag parents drove their children to suicide."

gently caress, it was a simple recommendation for people who might be interested in religious neglect/abuse/bizarre behavior that this movie has some of that even though it isn't like sending your child to torture camp--which I clarified in my first post. But do go on putting words in my mouth and arguing with those words :gonk:

From the author's site (http://jeffreyeugenides.weebly.com/the-virgin-suicides.html):

quote:

Religion
Religion plays an important role in the story of the Lisbon girls. Mrs. Lisbon, the girls' mother, is a deeply religious character who forces her will onto the rest of the family. The book is basically saying religion is the number one key thing in life that everyone should be apart of. The girls are not allowed to wear any makeup, or wear revealing clothing. They are only allowed out of the house to attend school during the week or church on Sundays. Her belief on the dogmas of the Catholic faith is represented by the image of Virgin Mary printed on a plastic card. Obviously, she would rather keep her daughters virgins, and at home. However, the evolving society that the Lisbon live in is making her attempt at preserving her daughters' virginity quite futile. Cecilia constantly wears a wedding dress, announcing in defiance of her mother that she is on the verge of giving up her virginity. Lux, the promiscuous one, despite being jailed inside her own home she ends up losing her virginity on a football field and having sex with random guys on the roof of her home.
I would argue that the mother's extreme religious over-protection had something to do with the suicide, and that the neglect and abuse worsened after the suicide, which led to the remaining girls' fates. Of course there were other themes, but I was speaking in context to that particular one because I felt it was interesting in the discussion that was going on about religious nutters; this isn't really a thread for analyzing movies, so I'll leave it at that.

Jenny of Oldstones has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Jun 10, 2016

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Goons gotta goon

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crow Jane posted:

It'd be one thing if it were Bauhaus. At the time, her favorite band was Belle and frickin' Sebastian. How on earth her parents found that threatening is beyond me.

They have an album called The Boy With The Arab Strap. I'm not going to inquire as to how a pair of fundies knew what an Arab strap is, but if they're ignorant of the music and saw the album name I can well understand them thinking it was perverted and ungodly.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
The "Jesus Camp" specific movement is known as the Charismatic Movement and is closely related to Pentecostalism. Most people in the south are familiar with Pentecostals because of some of their more wacky, sometimes niche beliefs like the handling of venomous snakes, speaking in tongues, and "holy rolling". (As an aside, my grandparents are Pentacostal... or at least, were when they were in better health and could drive themselves to the nearest church that's about an hour away. Some of the stories that my gran has told me of things going on in their services terrify me - for instance one woman was thrashing on the ground and was left under a pew for the whole service because they thought that God was on her. Turns out she had epilepsy and got so worked up she had several seizures all in a row.)

Personally, I find this entire offshoot of belief pretty drat unnerving on it's own. Like... I mean... what? Ok, go grab that venomous snake, it's all good this one line in this book says it's ok and it won't bite you if you believe enough? Sure, right, got it.

So all this Jesus torture camp stuff got me to wondering - do things like this exist in other religions and places in the world? I mean, clearly in certain Muslim areas there are even worse punishments for the "girls that just want to be a hairstylist" types ie: being thrown in a pit and stoned to death by all the men in their village but like.. What about Hindus? Tao/Shinto/other Asiatic religions? Or is it the fact that the core belief system / nature of the beliefs in Christianity are structured in a way that this is a uniquely American Christian thing? I feel like it must be, because we're the only country that's rich enough to pay someone to do this poo poo to our children.

Also, here is a link with some more really :nms: accounts of kids that were sent to one of these places:
https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/q6is0/in_september_2009_after_admitting_to_my_parents/

edit: Damnit, as soon as I hit post I found this subreddit, which is a goldmine of horror for stories of survivors.
https://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteens/
https://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteens/comments/17y4pr/american_companies_torturing_teens_for_profit_you/

That Damn Satyr has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Jun 10, 2016

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Is there no way to protect kids from this type of abuse? Why are these camps even allowed?

E: i went to 'church camp' as a kid with my youth group, but that was far and away different from the internment camps described above. We just played outside, worshipped and did a few little lessons. My last time at camp, we went whitewater rafting. :3: Aside from the church part, it was pretty fun.

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Jun 10, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DicktheCat posted:

Is there no way to protect kids from this type of abuse? Why are these camps even allowed?

E: i went to 'church camp' as a kid with my youth group, but that was far and away different from the internment camps described above. We just played outside, worshipped and did a few little lessons. My last time at camp, we went whitewater rafting. :3: Aside from the church part, it was pretty fun.

In america children are considered the property of their parents, and legal authority can be transferred by contract. There's nothing anyone can do short of getting the camps shut down.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

There seem to be a few motions to police this more, but... gently caress.

From that reddit thread:

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/112/s1667

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/112/hr3126

This seems a place teeming with people who want to fight these organizations:

http://www.fornits.com/phpbb/index.php

E: this is horrible and I hate it so much. I just want to put it right and I can't. I'm going to go play loco roco and pretend humans aren't real.
This shouldn't be happening here. This shouldn't be happening anywhere.

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 03:26 on Jun 10, 2016

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Have there been any incidents where kids get out once they turn 18 just to come back and murder a bunch of people at these places? Kids flip their poo poo being bullied at school I can't imagine these camps don't breed killers.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

FalloutGod posted:

Have there been any incidents where kids get out once they turn 18 just to come back and murder a bunch of people at these places? Kids flip their poo poo being bullied at school I can't imagine these camps don't breed killers.

The first thing that came to mind was the dude that did the 2011 shootings in Norway, but that was a politically sponsored camp and he was just mad over Muslims.

And anyway, it seems like if you try to go any sort of legal route these shithole places have the grounds to protect themselves.

quote:

http://powelltribune.com/news/item/14918-owners-of-clark-treatment-facility-sue-detractors-for-libel

The owners of a Clark facility for troubled teenage girls are suing three former patients over disparaging remarks they’ve made about the business.
Trinity Teen Solutions owners Angie and Jerry Woodward say the three young women’s repeated criticisms — mostly made in negative online reviews — are false.

“The defendants appear to have conspired and worked together in a concerted effort to destroy (Trinity Teen Solutions’) business and to recruit others to their misguided cause,” says a portion of the Woodwards’ complaint.

The suit was filed in March and accuses Florida residents Claire Malone Matson and Mollie Lynch and Chanel Plander of California of having developed a plan “to wrongfully cause the parents of troubled teens to look elsewhere for residential treatment facilities.”

The Woodwards say the postings include “wildly false statements and innuendos” that the women know are not true.

The three women have admitted to writing the reviews and statements that Trinity Teen Solutions is complaining about, but they deny the postings are false or defamatory or that they were part of a conspiracy.

Matson, Lynch and Plander have said in their responses to the suit that their intent was to share their experiences with potential Trinity Teen Solutions patients and their families and to reconnect with and support other former patients.

Founded in 2002, Trinity Teen Solutions is located on a 160-acre ranch off of Road 8RA and surrounded by the Shoshone National Forest. It provides faith-based treatment to girls between the ages of 13 and 18 who are “dealing with addiction, substance abuse, depression, academic failure, sexual promiscuity, and other issues related to poor mental health,” according to Trinity Teen Solutions’ website.

The business describes itself as a residential treatment program and Catholic boarding school that’s “more like a long-term youth ranch than a wilderness treatment program.” Documents included with court records suggest most patients stay for around 18 months and are charged upwards of $195 a day — making for total bills that can apparently approach or surpass six figures.

In addition to the owners, 13 full-time staffers work at Trinity Teen Solutions to help oversee as many as 14 girls. The Woodwards are currently expanding the facility to accommodate as many as 18 girls at a time. Park County commissioners unanimously signed off on the expansion plans last month. The commission granted a special use permit that allows the Woodwards to add new offices and school facilities, a larger dormitory for the patients, a chapel and a multi-purpose building that will include an exercise room, game room and lounge. The Woodwards said they were asked to expand by the Wyoming Department of Family Services because of increased demand.

Trinity Teen Solutions’ website says it has a “drastically higher long-term success rate” than other facilities.

“A full 96% of the girls who come to Trinity and complete their stay effectively overcome the struggles in their lives,” says a portion of the site.

Matson, Lynch and Plander have been telling a different story — warning parents not to send their daughters to Trinity Teen Solutions.

In postings to Yelp, Facebook, Google reviews, the Better Business Bureau and on a since-deleted website that was called “Trinity Teen Survivors,” the women have given detailed accounts alleging they suffered traumatic mistreatment at the facility. They describe punishments that included being tied to animals or being forced to sit and stare at a wall for long periods of time; they also say they were not provided good food or allowed to tell their family members how unhappy they were.

Lynch wrote in a post on the now-defunct “Survivors” site that the Woodwards were running a “work camp” where “they get paid for your kids to be shamed, belittled, and work for them.” Matson — who was at the facility between 2004 and 2005 — described herself in a Yelp review as having been a “prisoner for profit” and said in a Google review that girls tend to “love” Trinity when they leave “but in a year or two the haze of the brainwashing clears and they realize it wasn’t so great.” Plander, meanwhile, has said the living conditions were “terrible” with “horribly abusive staff” who denied them things like showers and medical attention.

While there are similarly negative online reviews from other former patients, other young women and their parents have described Trinity Teen Solutions as having been a positive and even life-saving influence.

“It is hurtful to see all these poor reviews when all we are trying to do here at Trinity is help people,” Angie Woodward wrote in one response posted on Yelp in November 2015.

To back up their contentions that former patients’ complaints are untrue, the Woodwards have noted that Lynch and Plander previously had positive things to say about their experiences at Trinity Teen Solutions.

Lynch wrote a glowing five-star review shortly after leaving the program in 2012. The then-18-year-old had called the program “a true miracle,” praised its “wonderful and extremely patient staff” and said “every moment on the soil of that Wyoming ranch was exactly what I needed to live my life the way a young woman is truly meant to live.”

“If you want to give your daughter her life, Trinity is the way to go and I can say with confidence that it is a gift you will not regret giving and that she will be happy to have received with time,” Lynch concluded.

In last month’s response to the lawsuit, Lynch said her 2012 review was not accurate and did not reflect her actual experiences at the ranch.

Plander, meanwhile, wrote a testimonial for Trinity Teen Solutions toward the end of her 2007 to 2010 tenure at the facility.

“Now I have a light in my life and more than anything, I have hope,” she wrote. “Trinity has given me the chance to live and move on with my life.”

Plander now says she wrote the testimonial while still at the facility and “under duress” and that it “did not truthfully relate her experiences.”

The Woodwards say Trinity Teen Solutions has lost business, goodwill, customers and time and energy because of the former patients’ defamatory statements. They’re asking a judge to have Matson, Lynch and Plander “restrained from posting false information,” “required to remove all false and disparaging they have made” and ordered to stop contacting employees and potential customers of Trinity Teen Solutions.

Matson, Lynch and Plander, meanwhile, have offered up numerous possible defenses, including that the statements “were and are true,” “were merely statements of opinion” or constituted “fair comment.”

The women’s attorneys have said the case will “necessarily be an extremely fact-intensive litigation (as truth is a defense to libel claims) that will involve discovery, testimony and/or affidavits from Plaintiff’s (Trinity Teen Solutions’) staff, Defendants, and former residents of Plaintiff’s facility” that could involve tens of thousands of dollars of legal fees and costs.

Matson, Lynch and Plander are being represented by a team of five lawyers — including three from a New York firm that specializes in intellectual property cases and two from Casper, court records show. Trinity Teen Solutions is being represented by attorney Joey Darrah of Powell.

Because the dispute involves citizens of different states, the civil case is proceeding in Wyoming’s federal court.

Chief U.S. District Court Judge Nancy Freudenthal has scheduled an initial pretrial conference for July 12 in Cheyenne.

So... It doesn't really seem like there's any protection, period. The best you can hope for is that your friends find out what happens, educate themselves, and that they somehow manage to educate your parents - which is the purpose of the subreddit linked in the previous post. It's all a drat shame and my heart breaks for these kids because I know I was || close to being one of them, too.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I had an ex that went to one of those troubled teen places. She talked about them doing basically all of the poo poo that people have been talking about here. It was near where I went to college so I met a few other people who graduated from there and they all pretty much said the same thing.

This was probably around eight years ago and the place has since closed down. We're still Facebook friends and apparently the place was never accredited so the diploma she got from there was bullshit, and she didn't find out until she tried to go back to college like a year ago.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
The girl got released from the camp: http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/06/09/lesbian-teen-released-from-gay-cure-camp-following-campaign-by-supergirl-actor-cousin/

quote:

But Mark Gregston, founder and executive director of Heartlight Ministries, which operates the Christian school in Texas, has now released a statement saying that Sarah has been released.

“It is disheartening to see that this young woman has had elements of her story made widely public without her consent,” the statement reads.

“The assertion that this teen was held at Heartlight Ministries against her will, or that Heartlight provides any ‘treatment’ services for sexual identity, are categorically untrue.

“Heartlight is a residential counseling program for teenagers who struggle with a wide range of behavioral and emotional issues… While this young women is no longer at Heartlight, should she ever personally choose to return, we would welcome her with open arms.”

Jordan has not confirmed or denied that his cousin has been released.

Sarah’s mother has also given a new interview denying that she was placed into the camp in order to “cure” her of being gay.

Speaking to the Austin American Statesman, the un-named mother said: “My daughter would be heartbroken that she is being misrepresented this way,”

She went on to say that she went to the camp to “help her with issues of depression, self-harm, drug use, and behavioral issues,” according to the paper.

I wonder if Sarah will speak out. Is she back living with her parents now? That seems awful.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Interestingly specific statement from the camp--I imagine their line is that you can't make gay people straight but can condition them to either be celibate or enter loveless marriages with other conditioned gays so that they never act on their genuine desire--and that such desires cause depression and self-esteem issues.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Behavioral issues", my rear end.

It's the same drat thing that happened to JFK's sister Rosemary, except in her case they had a prefrontal lobotomy performed on her, simply because she was a rebellious and assertive teenager.

E: Seriously, this is part of one program's "teen assessment":

quote:

• Had any changes in behavior and / or mood? (i.e. sad, angry, withdrawn, etc.)
• Exhibited depressive symptoms? (i.e. weight loss, weight gain, excessive sleep, etc.)
• Had problems getting along with others?
• Do you suspect that your child has used drugs or alcohol?
• Has your child disregarded family rules and parental guidance?
• Has you child been able to escape consequences due to the ability to manipulate people and situations?
• Had problems in school? (i.e. poor grades, challenging authority, etc.)

E2:

That drat Satyr posted:

The first thing that came to mind was the dude that did the 2011 shootings in Norway, but that was a politically sponsored camp and he was just mad over Muslims.

What Breivik did has absolutely no relation to these types of "camps". The island camp he shot up was a normal summer camp for members of AUF, the Norwegian Labour Party's youth organization. I can assure you that absolutely no brainwashing goes on there apart from the usual benign political party groupthink, and that everyone was there voluntarily. I know you're probably not trying to draw any parallels, I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea :)

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 10:09 on Jun 10, 2016

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

FalloutGod posted:

I had thoughts about this of course but I dismissed them because I'm not a psycho. I will say that the idea that none of the staff in Tranquility Bay will be held accountable does bother me even years later. Accountability was a big thing for me in general. I'm pretty sure everyone involved with it got away with it save a small civil lawsuit or two.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Haha gently caress, forcing kids to write positive reviews online so they can point to them later when the kids are finally able to speak out

"Nuh huh! Look, you said right here on ratemytorturecamp.com that our place was awesome and that you'd totally send your own kids there!"

How much time do these people spend coming up with new ways to be despicable monsters (in the name of Jesus)

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
You guys should watch the movie Sleepers. It's about a group of kids who got send there and who gets their revenge

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

TotalLossBrain posted:

This argument never works with my fundie friends & family, either. (My wife was raised fundamentalist Christian and I was in that environment for about 10 years myself, but never as a child.)
The answer is usually "but without Jesus in your heart it's all for naught"

In other words, it's not about your actions or character, it's only about jeebus in your heart. I tried to show my wife some of the kidnapping posts and she couldn't finish reading them. She found them too upsetting, having known a couple of her childhood friends that went to some camp(s) of similar nature.
And while the camps may be going away, there are other things taking their place. A good example is "Journey With Christ", a drat-near kidnap-type experience for a 3-4 day weekend in isolation with other youth. The kids get broken down over a couple days, then "rebuilt in his image". It's terrible and while not as outwardly terrible as the camps, it's still plenty bad.

This is actually one of the founding beliefs of all branches of all Protestant sects descended from Lutheranism, the Reform Church, or Anabaptism. All of them argued for works being essentially meaningless and that faith is the only measure of someone's character. Hence why Anglicans, Catholics, and Episcopals all have some variant on the Righteous Heathen belief, but most American Protestants don't. Martin Luther and John Calvin were huge racist assholes who taught that every Jew and pagan was going hell, so now their follows continue that belief.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Grimlook posted:

You guys should watch the movie Sleepers. It's about a group of kids who got send there and who gets their revenge

I have to wonder how often one of the kids shivs a guard and runs

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

Not very often. The camps are straight up designed to invoke feelings of helplessness and engender the kids with the idea that they can't do anything to overcome authority. While it sounds cool to think that that sort of treatment would cause people to rebel, usually they just give up and take it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

It'd be one thing if it were Bauhaus. At the time, her favorite band was Belle and frickin' Sebastian. How on earth her parents found that threatening is beyond me.

That's especially tragic because Stuart Murdoch, lead singer of Belle and Sebastian, is a committed Christian. He even runs his local church choir.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Imagined posted:

You don't understand these people. I'm from Oklahoma. I know these people. The Devil is very literally real to them, and so anything that isn't explicitly, overtly pro-Jesus is actively anti-Jesus.
I'm from Oklahoma and this is legit. I'm even from Norman, probably the most liberal town in the state, and I still went to school with a ton of Pentecostals, creationists, and various flavors of fundamentalists. They didn't teach evolution in school (or creation either - they just avoided the whole thing). People repeatedly asked me if my being an atheist meant I worshipped Satan. I had a swastika drawn on my locker once (I'm Jewish) and I was told a few times that my people murdered Christ. I had friends who weren't allowed to listen to rock music or read fantasy books, and a classmate of my brother's once demonstrated speaking in tongues for me. My sort-of prom date (three of us girls went with him since we didn't have dates) didn't dance because of his religion, but would stand still on the dance floor and let girls dance with him. One of the guys in my brother's D&D group had to tell him mom he was playing "military strategy games" because she'd heard D&D was satanic. When we went to his house we had to be careful what we called it.

I could go on, but you get the picture. Oklahoma is VERY fundamentalist. I moved to North Dakota, which is just as Republican, but mostly populated with Scandinavian Lutheran and German Catholic immigrants. It's worlds apart. Sure, they might vote for some stuff that makes me twitch, but they teach evolution and sex ed in schools without many complaints.

Jedit posted:

They have an album called The Boy With The Arab Strap. I'm not going to inquire as to how a pair of fundies knew what an Arab strap is, but if they're ignorant of the music and saw the album name I can well understand them thinking it was perverted and ungodly.

I have no idea what an Arab strap is (something sexual?) but I'm assuming "Arab" is all they'd need to see to think it's Satanic.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

KozmoNaut posted:

"Behavioral issues", my rear end.

It's the same drat thing that happened to JFK's sister Rosemary, except in her case they had a prefrontal lobotomy performed on her, simply because she was a rebellious and assertive teenager.

E: Seriously, this is part of one program's "teen assessment":

This is a very recent leaflet sent out to schools/parents in the UK

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Jose posted:

This is a very recent leaflet sent out to schools/parents in the UK

So every teenager on this planet, right?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pookel posted:

I have no idea what an Arab strap is (something sexual?) but I'm assuming "Arab" is all they'd need to see to think it's Satanic.

It's a cockring, basically.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

How is it that people who make it back to civilization don't hit up Department of Children's Services with allegations of child neglect? The statute of limitations doesn't end on your 18th birthday.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
The futility of trying to get them busted was also probably beat into their heads as part of their "treatment."

"Go ahead, call the cops. They won't find evidence of anything wrong here, and you'll be arrested for filing a false report. Then, we'll sue your family into oblivion for slander." It doesn't have to be true, just convincing enough.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Nth Doctor posted:

How is it that people who make it back to civilization don't hit up Department of Children's Services with allegations of child neglect? The statute of limitations doesn't end on your 18th birthday.

It's psychological conditioning. Another major major aspect is the idea that anybody who gets out of one of those places and manages to get back home will do anything to avoid going back. ANYTHING.

Without going too far into personal details I spent the rest of my childhood doing whatever I could to make sure that he didn't send me back to a place like that. When you finally get away from a situation like that the feeling of relief greatly overrides that of revenge.

That and simply not thinking about it is really the only thing you can do. I once joined a support group on Facebook for people that had been to TB to see how other people who had been sent there have been affected.

The people there that dwelled on it the most seemed the most outwardly crazy by far. In fact it's pretty difficult to find a normal person who went through a category 5 facility when they were young.

Crash_N_Burn has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Jun 10, 2016

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

pookel posted:

One of the guys in my brother's D&D group had to tell him mom he was playing "military strategy games" because she'd heard D&D was satanic.

This isn't particularly unnerving, but I had a boyfriend in college whose parents were extremely religious (Catholic). When he developed an interest in herpetology (reptile studies), his mom went, weeping, to their priest, concerned that their only son was worshiping the devil because he wanted to get a pet snake. The priest had to gently inform her that the whole snake in the garden of Eden thing was a metaphor and that snakes are god's creatures too, etc. etc.

She finally relented and he ended up becoming a really fantastic reptile vet before he died tragically. :(

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Cumslut1895 posted:

my friend went to one of these and if you disobeyed once you lost your shoe priveleges, even in winter. he managed to run away once though in spite of that, someone that lived nearby was kind enough to feed him and let him stay there for a while and did not call the police or the "school". also at that school the three big fat creeps that would physically restrain kids were named dick, woody, and cummings, but as far as I know there was no creepy sex poo poo going down at that place at least. when he got back home from there he was ripped and pissed (thanks to being forced to do pointless jobs like dump pebbles on a gravel road from sun up to sun down) and i watched him actually land roundhouse kicks and spinning backfists in street fights and poo poo haha but hes mellow now so thank god that place couldnt break him. his parents got him there by telling him his younger brother had a horrible accident and was in the hospital, and they needed to go be with him immediately.

HORMELCHILI has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Jun 10, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Maggie Fletcher posted:

This isn't particularly unnerving, but I had a boyfriend in college whose parents were extremely religious (Catholic). When he developed an interest in herpetology (reptile studies), his mom went, weeping, to their priest, concerned that their only son was worshiping the devil because he wanted to get a pet snake. The priest had to gently inform her that the whole snake in the garden of Eden thing was a metaphor and that snakes are god's creatures too, etc. etc.

She finally relented and he ended up becoming a really fantastic reptile vet before he died tragically. :(

drat I think I've got emotional whiplash from reading this little story

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

pookel posted:

One of the guys in my brother's D&D group had to tell him mom he was playing "military strategy games" because she'd heard D&D was satanic.

One of the kids in my school growing up wasn't allowed to watch Dragonball/Dragonball Z for similar reasons. Goku is the devil.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

We weren't allowed to watch In Living Color but that's because my dad was a huge racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So you didn't grow up screaming "Let me show you something!" impersonating Fire Marshall Bill?