Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think he might be alive.

his design is too fantastic -- it would be a waste if he died and never showed up again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kamui Woods grabbed him from the scene along with the other injured heroes so hopefully the paramedics can help him.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Roland Jones posted:

For all we know, we may never see Hagakure again.

i caught that you fucker

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
What up, Stain

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You guys are overstating the interconnected, shared universe, of mediocrity in Western Comics. Outside the flagship books, the shared universe is largely just there for cameos and team ups. Even in the flagship books there are good runs by a single writer, which is really how Comics should be compared to Manga.

That's not even getting into the various creator owned studios and the "weird" Marvel/DC side imprints like Vertigo. Plus there are min/maxi series put out with some regularity. poo poo, Congressman John Lewis just released a series of books on the Civil Rights movement.

Fabricated posted:

I kinda hope Midoriya doesn't really go with the whole "Symbol of Peace" thing because that's arguably the weakest part of All Might's ideology. Any system based on one dude's existence falls apart if that guy dies and it's kinda stupid to just really really really hope that never happens through an unbroken line of successors.

I kinda hope the lesson in the end is something like, "everyone needs to be a hero to someone".

The All Might stuff and the various backstories of class 1-A seem to me to be pointing toward a Justice League type thing replacing All Might's Silver Age Superman shtick.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I hope the title of the next chapter is Tomura Shigaraki: The Origin

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 10, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SgtSteel91 posted:

I hope the title of the next chapter is Tomura Shigaraki: The Beginning

I hope he's also inexplicably on a farm with a new buddy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There's another way in which the good guys are now in trouble - now that All Might's out of action, Endeavour is the most senior, respected, and powerful active hero. It isn't just the obvious, card-carrying supervillains that All Might was holding back as the Symbol of Peace, and I imagine that he'll be the reason poo poo goes sideways enough to allow for Shigaraki's rise.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I believe in Endeavor.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

LostRook posted:

I believe in Endeavor.

I don't.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

LostRook posted:

I believe in Endeavor.

I also believe

that he is a horrible person.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I'm glad All Might lived.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, don't forget endeavors good points.

1) practical application of eugenics
2) his beard is made out of fire
3) ???
4) his mask is also made out of fire

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Serious Frolicking posted:

hey, don't forget endeavors good points.

1) practical application of eugenics
2) his beard is made out of fire
3) ???
4) his mask is also made out of fire

You get firebeard and nothing else. Which makes Endeavour extra crappy, that fire beard is going to waste on a freaking chump.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, he set out to create a quirk (that was attached to a person, but he doesnt really care about that part) with no downside or limits. he succeeded, and i think that is pretty impressive.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Space-Bird posted:

I'm glad All Might lived.

Yagi Toshinori lived. All Might is dead.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Sarcophallus posted:

Y'know...yeah. You just blew my mind...

I'd believe in Yagi more than All Might any day He's the real hero."

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Serious Frolicking posted:

hey, he set out to create a quirk (that was attached to a person, but he doesnt really care about that part) with no downside or limits. he succeeded, and i think that is pretty impressive.

At the expense of his son hating him and his wife going insane, it's a literal beard-flaming metaphor for why eugenics is bad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sarcophallus posted:

This is an important distinction, I think, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to say that, yet. If you mean All Might, the active hero is dead, then I have to agree, but if you mean All Might, the Symbol of Peace is dead, then I have to disagree, because they missed their moment for him to collapse on-camera.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Space-Bird posted:

At the expense of his son hating him and his wife going insane, it's a literal beard-flaming metaphor for why eugenics is bad.

it is a really good quirk, though

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I believe in Endeavor's eugenics program but holy poo poo do I not believe in anything else besides that.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

RareAcumen posted:

I believe in Endeavor's eugenics program but holy poo poo do I not believe in anything else besides that.

It's interesting One for All isn't hereditary, while endeavour is chasing after what One far All is via eugenics. I'm pretty sure the theme is 'eugenics are crazy, dangerous and inferior but don't drat the children of them'

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
actually the idea is that with quirk eugenics really work as opposed to regular eugenics which have always been utter nonsense based on pseudoscience. endeavor's quirk is probably limited by his body overheating, so he found a woman with an ice quirk. mush them together in just the right way and you get todoroki, a kid with both quirks and no limit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RareAcumen posted:

I'm just making sure I'm thinking of the same thing because, wow, I don't think I've talked to anyone about Bone/heard anyone bring it up since I got out of Middle School.

It's good, I'm not arguing that.

That's about the same for me too but then they put out the entire thing in one single volume and I picked that up and read it, it's still fantastic. I had never actually finished it until then, it ends well too.

Ytlaya posted:

I feel that while there are individual Western comics that are just as good as any individual Japanese manga, the Japanese manga industry in general is far more robust and, as a result, produces far more content of all levels of quality (which naturally also results in more high quality content) than the Western comics industry. The simple fact that more people aspire to draw manga means that more talent is going to show up. Another problem is that in the West, pretty much all comics are aimed at a relatively nerdy audience. Even the good comics like those you mentioned are seldom read by people who are not at least somewhat nerdy. By contrast, manga is a comparatively mainstream thing with a very wide variety of genres.

So even though it might sound disagreeable, I honestly believe that Japanese manga has more to offer than Western comics, at least in the past several decades.
The nerd thing is more of a culture reason and less of it simply being "for" nerds. Also, most manga is always produced by a single author rather than arcs being by different people which USUALLY greatly improves coherence in the series.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

well, a single guiding influence over the overall story, anyway. Hiroshiki has like 8 assistants. (Side-kicks)

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

The process of making comics in Japan is very different than in the US. Urasawa Naoki (20th century boys, monster, pluto fame) does this serious about how each Mangaka is essentially their own studio making their product for the publisher

If anyone is interested it is here: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/HabaneroScans/1

Western Comics shifting through multiple generations and multiple writers becomes more about branding than narrative, and I think that is why Japanese, and European Comics have a lot more appeal...and why American comics are uniquely strange in being isolating. But hey, webcomics are really cool these days too!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Endeavor is lovely as a human being but his design is fantastic.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm glad I believed in all might

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Space-Bird posted:

It's interesting One for All isn't hereditary, while endeavour is chasing after what One far All is via eugenics. I'm pretty sure the theme is 'eugenics are crazy, dangerous and inferior but don't drat the children of them'

60% of the time, it works everytime.

Captain Invictus posted:

That's about the same for me too but then they put out the entire thing in one single volume and I picked that up and read it, it's still fantastic. I had never actually finished it until then, it ends well too.

Yeah, same! I would've been happy if it was on Kindle or colored but heck, I got the entire main story so I finally got a chance to know how it all ended at the least.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Actually there is a full color version

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Actually there is a full color version

Oh I'm sure there is, I just mean I would've liked if I could've got one of the colored versions. They only had black and white at my Books a Million.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Mikl posted:

Bakugou has the face of someone who's put the puzzle pieces together.

He's clearly pointing at Bakugou :colbert:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It's interesting seeing people talking about American Comics who don't actually know much about them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's interesting seeing people talking about American Comics who don't actually know much about them.

Not really. Capeshit is boring.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

LostRook posted:

I believe in Endeavor.

I do too.

To make a complete hash of things to further his own ends.

He's a real New 52 kinda superhero.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 10, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
How Endeavor handles his new position going forward will be interesting. He's a completely repugnant human being, of course, but how he reacts to finally "achieving" his goals and what he just saw should be interesting. Also interesting will be how the manga handles him; hopefully Horikoshi doesn't go too far trying to make him sympathetic or something.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 10, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Not really. Capeshit is boring.

That is only a part of American Comics, hence the idea that y'all don't know that much about them.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I definitely do not know much about american cape comics. I'd like to, but it's just so tough to get into, and I'm more interested in an academic sense at this point, because I never grew up with it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is only a part of American Comics, hence the idea that y'all don't know that much about them.

What about garbage like Scott [pop culture reference] Pilgrim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That's fine, I am more annoyed that every time this comes up it turns into a dick waving competition.