Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

Good lord, what the hell was he thinking?

He's a cyclist. You know that they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's Daily Mail, but doooo itttt... :getin:

I'm not sure I could handle this happening, it would be too amazing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FAUXTON posted:

Hey if they just gently caress off to their own little molestation communes and never vote again that's all right with me.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It'll be a loving nightmare for social services workers, though.

Yeah, I didn't want to be all 'think of the children' but my partner and I both work in education and...well...I thought of the children.

No kid deserves to be born into that without somebody, somewhere, looking out for them. And when families and communities withdraw from society over perceived moral decay- and particularly over stuff like sexuality or sexual orientation- you're just setting off a time bomb of potential abuse.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Good point. Maybe just raid them every couple months and take the kids?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Boon posted:

Commonly uttered in the Bernie thread was that she'd go to war against Iran. Being hawkish doesn't equal starting wars but you know how they are with nuance.

Ah, now I see why a couple goons got snippy with my earlier comment.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Careful. We're getting into rkajdi territory here.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

FAUXTON posted:

We should probably work on the foster system at some point, then

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hollismason posted:

If 80% of the population of Puerto Rico got Zika I'm pretty sure in 30 years there'd just be tumble weeds all over Puerto Rico.

Seems like a dick move to go and import tumble weeds to Puerto Rico on top of all their other issues.

On Terra Firma posted:

I cannot come up with a situation in a debate where he could turn the tables on her in the eyes of the general electorate. In the primary among republicans he can do some macho poo poo and talk down to people, but at the general level that just doesn't fly. Right?

Strong man macho poo poo isn't going to work on Hillary. Aside from Hillary not putting up with that poo poo like the Republicans did, the optics get worse and worse as he does it. Hillary may have a public image among large parts of the country as a Hard Bitch Ice Queen, but it's still going to be an Orange Goblin being a misogynistic prick to a woman on live TV.

Hell, Carly Fiorina got hims to shut the gently caress up and be quiet, and she is terrible at this stuff. Hillary is not one of the sad sack members of the Clown Car. She isn't going to give Donald 5 after he insults her spouse, and if he starts talking about the size of his dick she's gonna dunk on him so hard the stage mic will pick up Tim Kitzrow's reaction.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Epic High Five posted:

The usual belief in the mind of the cyclist is, "the rules of the road don't apply to me, I can do whatever I want!" so he probably thought that cars being blocked off meant bikes are still fine, like how he's allowed to just blow through stoplights and stop signs!

this place is a loving joke now

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Enkmar posted:

this place is a loving joke now

sorry about your bike/elbows/criminal charges

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
This is primarily a meta-argument about how the email scandal accusations are framed.

kronix posted:

It's very likely that the state dept had no mechanism for delivering classified email to smartphones and the only option would be unclassified email.

When Colin Powell stepped up in 2004 the state department didn't have email at all. He used a private mail account through dial up on his personal laptop in his office to do all his emailing in part to show other people how awesome email is and make the case for adopting it.

In his autobiography he talks with pride about successfully making the case to get funding that allowed him to purchase 44,000 internet capable computers so that every person at state could have one:

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/03/08/republican-colin-powell-deals-death-blow-hillary-clinton-email-scandal.html

Colin Powell posted:

What I did when I entered the State Department, I found an antiquated system that had to be modernized and modernized quickly.

So we put in place new systems, bought 44,000 computers and put a new Internet capable computer on every single desk in every embassy, every office in the State Department. And then I connected it with software.

But in order to change the culture, to change the brainware, as I call it, I started using it in order to get everybody to use it, so we could be a 21st century institution and not a 19th century.

It's a rather important bit of perspective to realize that when Clinton stepped up in 2008 email was still a rather new thing at State ( it takes awhile to get funding and install 44,000 computers ) and that prior to its adoption all the business done on email was done on private accounts out of band. For example, Powell's demo email account only connected with staff who also had private email accounts since the .gov email system didn't exist yet. People who frame this as if the state department IT was run like a James Bond movie are misinformed. Deliberately so since talking up the maturity/security of their IT allows detractors to make Clinton's actions look more significant/subversive.

Another bit of misleading framing is the implication or claim that Clintons' server was set up after she was appointed SoS. In reality the Clinton family server was set up by Bill after he stepped down around 2001ish. Hillary had her blackberry hooked up to it all during the primary. Setting up a secure email server is a significant endeavor for the layman. By claiming it was done after she stepped up you make listeners suspicious and prime them to accept a devious motive. The truth that she just kept on using the setup she'd been using, otoh, flows much more naturally into Hillary's stated reason, convenience. All her poo poo was there and why mess with what works? You can juggle two mail boxes ok but juggling two calendars completely defeats the purpose of a calendar. Again, she used it in place of a non-classified .gov email. When she had to use the secure system she went to the secure building and handed over her wireless devices to security to get in and sit at a special secure terminal like everyone else. She hated it just like everyone else. Lastly, her own emails show her asking IT to hook up her blackberry to a .gov account and them saying they couldn't do it.. ( http://www.cbsnews.com/news/emails-show-nsa-rejected-hillary-clinton-request-for-secure-smartphone/ ). This information is also left out or actively lied about by people pushing a nefarious motives narrative since attempt to use the State system while maintaining the functionality of her system undermines their entire premise.

The last major false frame of the email scandal is the idea that criminal prosecution is something that routinely happens when people mess up with secure material. You get a lot of hyperbolic claims about how much trouble a regular Joe would be if they'd done that. Also a poo poo ton of quoting snippets of legal statutes and torturing the definition of the word "deliberately". If security agencies criminally prosecuted people for honest mistakes then people would never self report or cooperate with security audits for fear of jail. It is more important that breaches be promptly and honestly reported than to jail people for mistakes. They will gently caress you up if you deliberately sell data or deliberately post it to wiki leaks sure. But if you are operating in good faith then jail isn't a realistic outcome even if you "deliberately" took some work home with you the night you got mugged and someone stole your backpack. You didn't intend for the data to get away so that's not the right kind of "deliberately" to get anti-espionage statutes thrown at you.

A minor frame used in all three major frames is trying to make this an elitist thing. Asserting that nobody else uses personal emails when it was actually a common practice or that she is avoiding punishment others would face when in reality punishment would be the exception rather than the rule.

Once you see the tropes and false frames, you can't un-see them.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Sir Tonk posted:

Good lord, what the hell was he thinking?

Probably "gently caress I'M LATE gently caress I'M LATE gently caress I'M LATE!!! I CAN TOTALLY MAKE IT BEFO....*gets tackled*" That is a ride share bike. Usually I only see people use them when they are super late.

Edit: My favorite part though is the super obvious Fed.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 10, 2016

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

FAUXTON posted:

yo you hear about the news in kalamazoo? It's probably the wrong time to take out your poo poo brush and paint every cyclist with it

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

FAUXTON posted:

sorry about your fat/obesity/bad health

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

Those servers she could have used are the same State Department email system that was hacked. That's the alternative, not some better more secure email.

I'm not defending her mistake, just pointing out how the massively larger issues are being ignored to focus on the private email server.

Since you're just curious and still open to changing your mind, consider that the main accusation is that someone forwarded Clinton an email that criticized a public article. No one has ever had any evidence anyone manually copied classified data into a regular email:

Of course the great irony is we got to read more of her emails because of the stupid server.

It seems that a huge number of people think she was using her personal email for all of her state department business. Like completely bypassing their classified system for her personal server kind of stuff.

I guess I might be a little more receptive of the seriousness of the issue if that were true?

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
I can't find a more recent Clinton vs trump poll than the Lyceum. The article about Texas republican women planning to abstain or vote Clinton was from last month.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

McAlister posted:

This is primarily a meta-argument about how the email scandal accusations are framed.

This was good. I had no idea how out of date the DoS was and it definitely puts things in perspective.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

On Terra Firma posted:

This was good. I had no idea how out of date the DoS was and it definitely puts things in perspective.

I just love how the phrase "internet capable computer" is something that makes no sense at all to kids today. Is a computer even a computer if it can't look things up on google?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Enkmar posted:

yo you hear about the news in kalamazoo? It's probably the wrong time to take out your poo poo brush and paint every cyclist with it

I didn't know bad cyclists get a pass when someone murders five of them in a different part of the country. Maybe you should put away your victimhood brush or something.

On Terra Firma posted:

A lot of large organizations are multiple generations behind on software and hardware. Hell, when I send the transaction data to the Treasury with my AML investigations it has to be in a CSV file smaller than 1MB. That's all that can be transmitted, any actual documentation (PDFs of signature cards, check images, security or atm camera footage, pacer docs) just gets kept on our servers in case FinCEN asks for it.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 10, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Enkmar posted:

Nice cross you have there, mate.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, that really paints the whole email thing in a much better light, and it almost suggest that not having a private server would actually have been worse due to the low security and ancient technology they had.

The third major thing I keep hearing about Clinton is something about 10k a plate dinner that all the money what funneled into a personal account or something? It's very vague but always referred to as a money laundering scheme, but without any details and will probably turn out to be be something that every single politician does, except Bernie, so they can point to her and say "see, Bernie doesn't do that!".

Man, I must know a lot of lovely Bernie supporters, either that or they just uncritically share stuff.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's Daily Mail, but doooo itttt... :getin:

A woman on Metafilter named corb has been posting about this a bunch - she is a Cruz delegate who plans to participate in this and she's getting death threats from Trump supporters.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Boon posted:

Nice cross you have there, mate.

correct!

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Man, I must know a lot of lovely Bernie supporters, either that or they just uncritically share stuff.

Odd how frequently these things overlap.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
It took me far too long to get the joke behind Licenseless Rider's name.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

showbiz_liz posted:

A woman on Metafilter named corb has been posting about this a bunch - she is a Cruz delegate who plans to participate in this and she's getting death threats from Trump supporters.

There are Trump supporters on MetaFilter?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Metafilter still exists?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

McAlister posted:

When Colin Powell stepped up in 2004 the state department didn't have email at all. He used a private mail account through dial up on his personal laptop in his office to do all his emailing in part to show other people how awesome email is and make the case for adopting it.

In his autobiography he talks with pride about successfully making the case to get funding that allowed him to purchase 44,000 internet capable computers so that every person at state could have one:

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/03/08/republican-colin-powell-deals-death-blow-hillary-clinton-email-scandal.html

It's a rather important bit of perspective to realize that when Clinton stepped up in 2008 email was still a rather new thing at State ( it takes awhile to get funding and install 44,000 computers ) and that prior to its adoption all the business done on email was done on private accounts out of band. For example, Powell's demo email account only connected with staff who also had private email accounts since the .gov email system didn't exist yet. People who frame this as if the state department IT was run like a James Bond movie are misinformed. Deliberately so since talking up the maturity/security of their IT allows detractors to make Clinton's actions look more significant/subversive.

Another bit of misleading framing is the implication or claim that Clintons' server was set up after she was appointed SoS. In reality the Clinton family server was set up by Bill after he stepped down around 2001ish. Hillary had her blackberry hooked up to it all during the primary. Setting up a secure email server is a significant endeavor for the layman. By claiming it was done after she stepped up you make listeners suspicious and prime them to accept a devious motive. The truth that she just kept on using the setup she'd been using, otoh, flows much more naturally into Hillary's stated reason, convenience. All her poo poo was there and why mess with what works? You can juggle two mail boxes ok but juggling two calendars completely defeats the purpose of a calendar. Again, she used it in place of a non-classified .gov email. When she had to use the secure system she went to the secure building and handed over her wireless devices to security to get in and sit at a special secure terminal like everyone else. She hated it just like everyone else. Lastly, her own emails show her asking IT to hook up her blackberry to a .gov account and them saying they couldn't do it.. ( http://www.cbsnews.com/news/emails-show-nsa-rejected-hillary-clinton-request-for-secure-smartphone/ ). This information is also left out or actively lied about by people pushing a nefarious motives narrative since attempt to use the State system while maintaining the functionality of her system undermines their entire premise.

The last major false frame of the email scandal is the idea that criminal prosecution is something that routinely happens when people mess up with secure material. You get a lot of hyperbolic claims about how much trouble a regular Joe would be if they'd done that. Also a poo poo ton of quoting snippets of legal statutes and torturing the definition of the word "deliberately". If security agencies criminally prosecuted people for honest mistakes then people would never self report or cooperate with security audits for fear of jail. It is more important that breaches be promptly and honestly reported than to jail people for mistakes. They will gently caress you up if you deliberately sell data or deliberately post it to wiki leaks sure. But if you are operating in good faith then jail isn't a realistic outcome even if you "deliberately" took some work home with you the night you got mugged and someone stole your backpack. You didn't intend for the data to get away so that's not the right kind of "deliberately" to get anti-espionage statutes thrown at you.

A minor frame used in all three major frames is trying to make this an elitist thing. Asserting that nobody else uses personal emails when it was actually a common practice or that she is avoiding punishment others would face when in reality punishment would be the exception rather than the rule.

If only bookmarked posts lasted forever.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Excellent interview with Dr Adolf Reed about the use of identity politics as it relates to the election cycle on The Benjamin Dixon Show. Also some good stuff about Obama in there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eJFIybXxi8&t=91s

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 10, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

McAlister posted:

I just love how the phrase "internet capable computer" is something that makes no sense at all to kids today. Is a computer even a computer if it can't look things up on google?

According to my parents-of-teens coworkers, having a non-internet capable computer just for the kids homework is some kind of low-tier status thing.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Metafilter still exists?

Slashdot still exists, so I'm not sure why you're so surprised that Metafilter does too.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

inkblot posted:

It took me far too long to get the joke behind Licenseless Rider's name.

Pun translations are really drat hard to do and still work.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

It seems that a huge number of people think she was using her personal email for all of her state department business. Like completely bypassing their classified system for her personal server kind of stuff.

I guess I might be a little more receptive of the seriousness of the issue if that were true?

That is exactly what she did though? It was all on the same server unless you are drawing the distinction at email address instead of hardware that hosted it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

McAlister posted:

I totally stole this post and put it on Facebook, it's a very elegant way to explain why I think the whole thing is overblown.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

There are Trump supporters on MetaFilter?

Ah, no she is getting them from Trump supporters off-site.

(...the Something Awful Forums still exist?)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Joementum posted:

Proposed design for the flag of Wisconsin:

That's a much better flag than the current one but it's still just The State Flag of the University of Wisconsin which is dumb because it doesn't really represent the whole state.

Joementum posted:

This one is way better, in my opinion:

That opinion is objectively correct. If the badger were chasing a cheese wedge, it'd be even better.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

On Terra Firma posted:

There just a big article about how much the government has to spend every year to keep all of nuke silos with computers from the 70s and 80s running. Many of them are still running on 8 inch floppies

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Munkeymon posted:

That's a much better flag than the current one but it's still just The State Flag of the University of Wisconsin which is dumb because it doesn't really represent the whole state.

That opinion is objectively correct. If the badger were chasing a cheese wedge, it'd be even better.

Why not keep your existing state flag?

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, that really paints the whole email thing in a much better light, and it almost suggest that not having a private server would actually have been worse due to the low security and ancient technology they had.

The third major thing I keep hearing about Clinton is something about 10k a plate dinner that all the money what funneled into a personal account or something? It's very vague but always referred to as a money laundering scheme, but without any details and will probably turn out to be be something that every single politician does, except Bernie, so they can point to her and say "see, Bernie doesn't do that!".

This isn't one I've researched in depth. My first glance reaction to it based on the timing of when it started showing up was that it was a counterattack to pointing out that Bernie never fundraisers or stumps for anyone else or helps out other progressives. That was always a criticism but it gained traction when Hillary launched the Hillary victory fund which split donations between her campaign and down ticket candidates. Calling the victory fund a scam fits the general pattern of :

"Look at this cool thing Hillary is doing!"

":mad: thing isn't really cool! Thing is bad!"

So for example if you bring up the foundation people claim it doesn't really do good works and is jus a scam. Point out how nice it is that her daughter works there 35 hours a week for a salary of $0 and they start talking about how being able to volunteer is a privilege of the out of touch wealthy and thus her doing so is not an indication of being raised caring with a spirit of service but is in fact an indication of being a spoiled rich girl we should hate.

As I recall they were latching onto the fact that the funds were split and acting like she was representing the fund as purely for down ticket and nefariously hiding her cut from donors when she was actually being perfectly open about it ( it was explained if you were signed up to her mailing list for example ) and it was her star power selling the fundraising tickets in the first place.

I'm confident of how the fund works, and the timing of a "never helps", "fraud" slap fight. I'm not confident that the fraud allegations you are talking about are those fraud allegation or that those were specifically about the victory fund ( I skimmed at the time ). It's been awhile and there are so many bs allegations clogging up Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gyges posted:

Hillary may have a public image among large parts of the country as a Hard Bitch Ice Queen

...I was under the impression that this was a major selling point.

(SedanChair, if you have your inspirational post saved about how Hillary will crush the GOP and drive them before her, I'd appreciate it. :haw: )

Edit: McAlister, that was a Good Goddamn Post, thanks.

• Locked thread