Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Motorola just announced the Moto Z Droid and the Moto Z Force

They also announced Moto Mods.

As much as I want off this Moto ship, it looks intriguing.

They don't have headphone jacks. That'll be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Motorola just announced the Moto Z Droid and the Moto Z Force

They also announced Moto Mods.

As much as I want off this Moto ship, it looks intriguing.

I'm out. Completely. Nothing about this is compelling.

However, the hard hard stop is the unbranded version is going to be GSM only so that basically eliminates it as an option. Way to regress there Motorola. I'm not moving from Verizon and I'm not buying a branded device again.

Other negatives, USB-C to headphone adapter, physical button on front, fingerprint sensor on front, front moto branding, smaller battery, no dual speakers.

Just an utter and complete fail in my book. Let's cut poo poo out to make it thinner and then charge extra for the cut poo poo.

Also, on those add on modules, Motorola hasn't been able to properly support their phones this year when they are running stock Android. It's ambitious (and a bit arrogant) on their part to add in the overhead of interfacing with those modules to their dev load. I don't believe they can do it.

So, if I move from my MXP this year, it will be to a Nexus phone. I just don't have much faith in HTC.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

bull3964 posted:

Just an utter and complete fail in my book. Let's cut poo poo out to make it thinner and then charge extra for the cut poo poo.

And then make the camera stick way out anyway.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
It's mind boggling that the original Turbo still doesn't have Marshmallow. I don't miss that phone at all. WTF Motorola, you were so good. I'm sorry to see it get like this.

OMGMYSPLEEN fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 10, 2016

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The moto x 13 was so good. RIP MOTO

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

hell I still use a 2013 moto g, sad to see them go out like this

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I'm out. Completely. Nothing about this is compelling.

However, the hard hard stop is the unbranded version is going to be GSM only so that basically eliminates it as an option. Way to regress there Motorola. I'm not moving from Verizon and I'm not buying a branded device again.

This is usually the case. The MXP was kind of a one of a kind device being able to be used on any carrier.

I don't get the unbranded bit though, you basically have only one choice for unbranded phones?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lblitzer posted:

This is usually the case. The MXP was kind of a one of a kind device being able to be used on any carrier.

I don't get the unbranded bit though, you basically have only one choice for unbranded phones?

Nexus devices can be used on any carrier too. Honestly, it should be an FCC requirement for devices to work on all carrier bands if they are technically capable.

But yes, after this the only unbranded source of phones for use on Verizon will be Nexus devices (assuming they keep their cross carrier compatibility.)

It's not like anyone else fairs much better. Most of the big flagships are only offered as carrier branded devices if you want a warranty.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

I've had a glass screen protector installed twice on my new S7, and both have the Halo Effect (wherein the edges don't stick). Both times the dude said that's because the S7's screen is slightly curved (just not as much as the S7E) so that's bound to happen with the brand of protector (Zagg).

Were the guys bullshitting me? Cuz I can't see any curve..

Samsung phones since the Note 4 have had a very slight curve to the edge of their screens. It looks nice but does make finding a compatible screen protector a bit of a pain.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

peepsalot posted:

Now if they would just remove individual searches in the overview. If I want to search a thing again I can just type/say it, really don't like revisiting every old search I've done for no good reason.

i'm glad you responded to my post, because now i have an excuse to tell this story. i woke up the other day and went about things as usual. at some point i remembered an article i'd read recently about an android app that i had been meaning to try. so i open the Play Store app and go to the search bar. normally a bunch of stuff pops up that i've searched for previously, but today...it didn't. only one result popped up. huh, that's weird. but it might make sense, given that another app i'd used just before had some odd behavior as well, like maybe i had cleared the history or changed some settings or something. this kept crystallizing in my mind until i remembered the night before this story started, when i had been drinking and i remembered a moment where i was sending silly text messages and doing other dumb poo poo on my phone. so yeah, this is probably why my Play Store history had gotten clobbered. and the one thing in my Play Store search history? "cum"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I hate it when I get that in unexpected places.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Battery too small, camera bump too big, stereo front speakers are gone along with the headphone jack, and Verizon exclusive for 6 months until the pure version. Nice job Lenovo you finally sank the ship. :china:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, it should be an FCC requirement for devices to work on all carrier bands if they are technically capable.

It's almost like there is one powerful, obstinant corporation who actively works to prevent this. One that lobbies and works constantly to gently caress over users.

Honestly I say it's better the way it is now, where if you want a device you contol, you simply don't patronize the worst telecom in America or you buy an iPhone or Nexus which is advice people should follow regardless.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

It's almost like there is one powerful, obstinant corporation who actively works to prevent this. One that lobbies and works constantly to gently caress over users.

Honestly I say it's better the way it is now, where if you want a device you contol, you simply don't patronize the worst telecom in America or you buy an iPhone or Nexus which is advice people should follow regardless.

AT&T is just as bad.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

My S7 edge just dropped literally 10cm (it fell out my pocket as I stood up from the toilet) and shattered in 3 places. I've had nothing but good things to say about it previously but a phone that breaks in that way is not fit for loving purpose.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

The moto x 13 was so good. RIP MOTO

I still want the Moto X 13 with Nexus 5X internals and camera, but apparently hell will freeze over before I'll get anything remotely close.
That said, I'm wondering if it is lenovo that is lovely, or is it the Chinese phablet market? :v:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

BurritoJustice posted:

My S7 edge just dropped literally 10cm (it fell out my pocket as I stood up from the toilet) and shattered in 3 places. I've had nothing but good things to say about it previously but a phone that breaks in that way is not fit for loving purpose.

It was probably all the other times you dropped it that did the damage

You may not even remember all the times it got dropped 'without a scratch'

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 10, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

theres a certain angle that the s7 edge instantly shatters from. my cousin works for sarnsung

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I don't follow apple news, but this one site says Apple is bringing iMessage to Android:

http://macdailynews.com/2016/06/09/apple-to-deliver-imessage-to-android-at-wwdc/

Not sure how reliable macdailynews is though.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

It was probably all the other times you dropped it that did the damage

You may not even remember all the times it got dropped 'without a scratch'

I've only had it for just over a month, and I baby my phones like mad. I know it doesn't mean much, but I can confidently say that I haven't dropped it on anything harder than my bed. I didn't even get a scratch on my last phone for the two years I used it.

Does anyone know if the phone is still waterproof with cracked glass? I'm guessing not :(

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

BurritoJustice posted:

I've only had it for just over a month, and I baby my phones like mad. I know it doesn't mean much, but I can confidently say that I haven't dropped it on anything harder than my bed. I didn't even get a scratch on my last phone for the two years I used it.

Does anyone know if the phone is still waterproof with cracked glass? I'm guessing not :(

The sony xperia z-whatever had a test utility that you could access through the dialer. Among other things there was a pressure sensor inside the phone that would measure an increased pressure when you pushed the screen while the waterproof hatches were closed. As long as the pressure increased, the phone was considered waterproof, at least by xda-posters.

Maybe you could access something like that? I don't know how trustworthy it is though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

AT&T is just as bad.

You can't defend bad behavior by pointing at someone else's bad behavior.

Obviously but AT&T just due to being GSM has never prevented you from bringing a device to them. I'm sure they'd love to, but they haven't.

Remember that it wasn't AT&T who used their oddball network to force manufacturers to make snowflake models just for them that put the Internet button right next to the End Call button so that they could make a dime every time a customer fat-fingered their phonecall.

It wasn't AT&T that forced manufacturers to cripple Bluetooth on their phones so customers couldn't add their own ringtones but would have to buy them direct from Verizon.

Verizon is the Comcast of mobile while AT&T is just Charter/Time Warner.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Google fi is getting access to us cellular in addition to sprint and tmobile(in the coming few weeks)

https://android.googleblog.com/2016/06/more-speed-and-coverage-with-us.html?m=1

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Chikimiki posted:

That said, I'm wondering if it is lenovo that is lovely, or is it the Chinese phablet market? :v:

Why not both?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
OK so the type C to type C cable that came with my nexus 6P back in November stopped working. I found out this morning when my phone almost died before I left the house (after it had been "charging" overnight ) . Thankfully, the type A to type C cable still works. So, which of the type c to type C cables from Amazon were legit again?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

BurritoJustice posted:

Your toilet is super low. I think everything would fall out of my pockets in the squat position. Solution for your phone: raise your toilet.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Centzon Totochtin posted:

OK so the type C to type C cable that came with my nexus 6P back in November stopped working. I found out this morning when my phone almost died before I left the house (after it had been "charging" overnight ) . Thankfully, the type A to type C cable still works. So, which of the type c to type C cables from Amazon were legit again?

Anker ones are good, and certified.

In fact I can vouch for Anker stuff generally. I bought a power bank and multi-charger off them recently and they are both excellent, fantastic build quality.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Mister Fister posted:

I don't follow apple news, but this one site says Apple is bringing iMessage to Android:

http://macdailynews.com/2016/06/09/apple-to-deliver-imessage-to-android-at-wwdc/

Not sure how reliable macdailynews is though.

Isn't iMessage literally just text messaging in Apple's proprietary format?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

JohnnyCanuck posted:

It's an instant messenger. It's basically Apple's hangouts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

You can't defend bad behavior by pointing at someone else's bad behavior.

It's not defending behavior, it's a statement of fact. It's a lateral move to jump from Verizon to AT&T on the outrage scale and the US really only has two nationwide carriers.

quote:

Obviously but AT&T just due to being GSM has never prevented you from bringing a device to them. I'm sure they'd love to, but they haven't.

That's an academic statement at this point. Verizon can't prevent you from bringing an LTE device to their network either. The problem remains the same. Lack of devices. It's MARGINALLY better on AT&T side since there's an increase in low end phones you can choose, but the flagship situation remains pretty much the same. You want to buy a flagship and you want it to not be some gray market import with zero or almost zero warranty coverage, you need to buy the carrier branded version.

quote:

Remember that it wasn't AT&T who used their oddball network to force manufacturers to make snowflake models just for them that put the Internet button right next to the End Call button so that they could make a dime every time a customer fat-fingered their phonecall.

It wasn't AT&T that forced manufacturers to cripple Bluetooth on their phones so customers couldn't add their own ringtones but would have to buy them direct from Verizon.

Verizon is the Comcast of mobile while AT&T is just Charter/Time Warner.

If you want to look at far more recent history though, remind me which carrier delayed updating the Nexus 6 and required google to make a special snowflake OS patch level?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lol don't white knight verizon man

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Once again I have to express my horror at the American mobile market. The UK :britain: has 3 or 4 networks and so far as I can tell there's very little carrier interference in the handsets or their software, at least compared to the US market.

How did things get so bad for Yank goons?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Verizon is the evil empire, but they're the evil empire that covers the entire nation and not just urban areas. I'd love to jump ship but I also want my phone to work when I go hiking/camping soooooo

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Once again I have to express my horror at the American mobile market. The UK :britain: has 3 or 4 networks and so far as I can tell there's very little carrier interference in the handsets or their software, at least compared to the US market.

Since the US is geographically so much larger than the UK you need a bigger company to cover that bigger area. The bigger the company, the more...influential... it can be.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bryter posted:

It's an instant messenger. It's basically Apple's hangouts.
Yeah. I guess I understand why they'd bring it to Android, and if it can be used as the SMS app, as well, it may very well be worth it to do so for Android users. The nice thing about iMessage is that it's completely seamless. You just send a message like you would and it figures out whether it's sending via SMS or iMessage without any user interaction.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Blue Train posted:

lol don't white knight verizon man

No one is white knighting anyone. They are both equally poo poo as far as customer hostility.

The whole industry needs gutted, it's not a single carrier problem.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

The Merkinman posted:

Since the US is geographically so much larger than the UK you need a bigger company to cover that bigger area. The bigger the company, the more...influential... it can be.

Plus the EU has taken a fairly active role in regulating telecoms companies, preventing a lot of the poo poo that goes on in the US. Can't wait for June next year when EU roaming charges go away for good (though the UK might not get that if we shoot ourselves in the face and vote to leave the EU)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yes, regulation is the key. Unfortunately, Verizon spent about $12mil and ATT spent about $17mil last year lobbying to protect their industry.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Yeah and since everyone in the US has unlimited texting now it probably won't gain any traction on Android. This is also why whatsapp, which is the best/most popular messaging app in the world, hardly gets used in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Also, take a look at their contract monthly payments and contract durations :sun:

Edit: Dunno about texting and Whatsapp though. Do you imagine we over in Europe are paying 10p an SMS or something?