Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm

Danann posted:

I've actually found that the Admiral Hipper can apparently lose to a Somers-class destroyer in a gunfight at ~3km because apparently its superstructure has no armor.

Although the Tone has enough armor to not get bothered by 5" guns so there you have it.

Are you talking about the battle between Admiral Hipper and HMS Glowworm here, because I can't find anything about any of the 5 Somers-Class Destroyers having a fight with Admiral Hipper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

RogueTM posted:

Are you talking about the battle between Admiral Hipper and HMS Glowworm here, because I can't find anything about any of the 5 Somers-Class Destroyers having a fight with Admiral Hipper?

It might be a typo on the destroyer type and he's relating something that happened in World of Warships.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GAL posted:

hey, this review calls it "playable," that's...something
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/thirty-years-war-pc-game-review.htm

edit: no last third of the war? what the hell

Based on the review, the earlier phases are available as stand alones, but the 369 month full campaign translates to 30 years 9 months.
:getin:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nebakenezzer posted:

2. When Winston Churchill was First Sea Lord, did he insist people call him 'Sea Lord" like "Star Lord" in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie?

Churchill was First Lord of the Admiralty. That's not the same thing as First Sea Lord.

The First Lord was the civilian head of the Admiralty, the First Sea Lord was the professional head of the Admiralty.

quote:

3. Are there other Sea Lords lesser than the first one? Sea Lord of the Atlantic, etc.

At the outbreak of the war there were four Sea Lords. They all had different bureaucratic responsibilities that I don't remember off the top of my head.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

You know when you've been a naval empire too long when you're top-heavy with Sea Lords.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rockopolis posted:

I can move troops through other units, but it's slow and messy.
That was always the part I have trouble picturing, that I'd the tercio isn't hollow, where do the gunners run off to?

I'll try the wedge, it sounds good. Just repeat the pattern as I get more troops?
What do I name my officers and troops?

I just realized that Archaeon is probably supposed to be like, demon Martin Luther who decided to get pagan swole instead of writing.

This is the most terrifying theory I have heard in my now 17 years of Warhams fandom. That said, I always got an uber swole Jesus/Gilgamesh vibe from Sigmar.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

can you move one formation "into" or "through" another in this game? Because that's why a tercio is a thing, the musketeers stand between the pikemen right before the cav gets there

if you can't do that, consider a modified Swedish wedge, which'll give gunpowder weapons (M) a clear field of fire while being at least semi-protected by your spearmen/halberdiers (S), dashes are empty space:

----SSSS----
MMMM----MMMM

or an actual Swedish wedge,

----SSSS----
MMMMSSSSMMMM

make sure to keep your ranks of staff weapon dudes deep

The modified Swedish wedge is what the Total War: Warhammer guys are calling a checkerboard, pretty much.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

1. Somebody mentioned a little while ago that Germany and Britain were 'spending themselves bankrupt' building their gigantic surface fleets. Are there any hard numbers as to how much naval construction was actually costing their respective economies?

If you want the real, REAL hard numbers, Lord Brassey has you covered. That is some dense poo poo though.

The book "Battleship Builders" has some good accessible charts and there is a decent preview up on Google books; take a look at page 235 for a nice overview of UK spending. Basically, if you take out the inflated years of the Boer War, annual defence spending was around 40% of the budget, and naval spending was around 50-60% of the defence budget in the runup years to the war. Numbers on new construction costs vary quite a bit year to year obviously but they seem to average around 30% of the annual naval budget, so somewhere between 6-8% of the annual budget was spent solely on new construction of warships. To compare it to the contemporary US, that'd be comparable to spending on housing, transportation, and education put together, or about a quarter trillion dollars. The largest procurement program in 2015 was, unsurprisingly, the F-35, which clocked in at a cool 11 billion.

If I remember correctly Germany was spending a much, much larger proportion of her national budget on the military (I want to say it was north of 90%? ) but less proportionally on the navy until just prior to the outbreak of the war; that was still well behind what the UK was spending which really illustrates just how disgustingly rich and powerful late Imperial Britain was.

All this had some interesting second and third order effects, especially in the UK. It represented a pretty big budgetary competition to social spending, which was a major platform piece for the Liberal Party that had become pretty powerful in the prewar years. It was hard to pay for the new social programs AND the battleships, so lots of new taxes were established. The population at large didn't like the big taxes being levied on the lower/middle classes, but they also wanted social programs AND battleships, and lots of them. So, the government really went after the rich old House of Lords types for the money, first in the form of the People's Budget, and then in the Parliament Act of 1911. In that way the Royal Navy really helped the progressive wing of British politics along, ironically enough.

That said I know there are some posters here with a lot more knowledge on this stuff (particularly UK political history) so if I got anything wrong or if anyone has any further amplifying information please to post/correct me.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 10, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

lenoon posted:

You know when you've been a naval empire too long when you're top-heavy with Sea Lords.

Out of curiosity, I did a quick search and this seems to be it:

First Sea Lord: Chief of Staff, professional head of the Navy

Second Sea Lord: personnel and training

Third Sea Lord: Procurement, research & development, construction, and maintenance

Fourth Sea Lord: logistics

Fifth Sea Lord: naval aviation

Nowadays, the Fourth and Fifth Sea Lord positions have been dissolved and the Third Sea Lord is now simply called the Chief Controller of the Navy.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bewbies posted:

If you want the real, REAL hard numbers, Lord Brassey has you covered. That is some dense poo poo though.

The book "Battleship Builders" has some good accessible charts and there is a decent preview up on Google books; take a look at page 235 for a nice overview of UK spending. Basically, if you take out the inflated years of the Boer War, annual defence spending was around 40% of the budget, and naval spending was around 50-60% of the defence budget in the runup years to the war. Numbers on new construction costs vary quite a bit year to year obviously but they seem to average around 30% of the annual naval budget, so somewhere between 6-8% of the annual budget was spent solely on new construction of warships. To compare it to the contemporary US, that'd be comparable to spending on housing, transportation, and education put together, or about a quarter trillion dollars. The largest procurement program in 2015 was, unsurprisingly, the F-35, which clocked in at a cool 11 billion.

Broadly, yes, though bear in mind that turn-of-the-20th-century governments spent very little on social programmes or housing or education at all - that's what the Liberals were bringing in, the first attempt at a welfare state in Britain. The central government did a lot less things that weren't 'have a military', so having that percentage of revenue being spent on the military isn't as hair-raising as you might think.

(This is also true if you look at spending by e.g. Early Modern governments, btw)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Out of curiosity, I did a quick search and this seems to be it:

First Sea Lord: Chief of Staff, professional head of the Navy

Second Sea Lord: personnel and training

Third Sea Lord: Procurement, research & development, construction, and maintenance

Fourth Sea Lord: logistics

Fifth Sea Lord: naval aviation

Nowadays, the Fourth and Fifth Sea Lord positions have been dissolved and the Third Sea Lord is now simply called the Chief Controller of the Navy.

Imagine five Sea Lords on the edge of cliff in Dover. The third Sea Lord pushes the fourth and fifth Sea Lords off the cliff and assumes their roles.

Time Lords work the same way.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Imagine five Sea Lords on the edge of cliff in Dover. The third Sea Lord pushes the fourth and fifth Sea Lords off the cliff and assumes their roles.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nenonen posted:

I wish this could be the new thread title. Mine's had a good run but this is a work of art.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

FAUXTON posted:

I wish this could be the new thread title. Mine's had a good run but this is a work of art.

I thought we were supposed to be having a new thread around 58 pages ago

Nebakenezzer posted:

World War 1 questions:

1. Somebody mentioned a little while ago that Germany and Britain were 'spending themselves bankrupt' building their gigantic surface fleets. Are there any hard numbers as to how much naval construction was actually costing their respective economies?

An important note to this is that by the actual outbreak of WWI the Germans had all but admitted defeat in the naval arms race and were no longer attempting to match the UK in terms of ships, hence why they had to go for convoluted plans to take out small chunks of the Grand Fleet at a time until they could get the whole thing down to a manageable size.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm trying to figuire out how to explain the different between a snaphance, a doglock and a flintlock in as few words as possible.

All I can come up with really is the phrase 'a gradual decrease of complicated machined parts.'

ltkerensky
Oct 27, 2010

Biggest lurker to ever lurk.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm trying to figuire out how to explain the different between a snaphance, a doglock and a flintlock in as few words as possible.

All I can come up with really is the phrase 'a gradual decrease of complicated machined parts.'

Getting a bigger bang for the buck?

(sorry)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FAUXTON posted:

Ask About Military History: Five Sea Lords on the Edge of a Cliff

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The Zumwalt Dock

(yea yea not even a Royal Navy ship... shut up)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
This, Darling, is the Pangbourne Dock.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cythereal posted:

Ask About Military History: Five Sea Lords on the Edge of a Cliff

Close enough for the underwater burst to cause hydraulic shock damage.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

FAUXTON posted:

Close enough for the underwater burst to cause hydraulic shock damage.

I don't know about this "underwater hydromlic shack" but it sounds bladdy unsporting old chap :wotwot:

Now, back to blasting the hun off the decks of their ships with 14" shells, eh?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

feedmegin posted:

Broadly, yes, though bear in mind that turn-of-the-20th-century governments spent very little on social programmes or housing or education at all - that's what the Liberals were bringing in, the first attempt at a welfare state in Britain. The central government did a lot less things that weren't 'have a military', so having that percentage of revenue being spent on the military isn't as hair-raising as you might think.

(This is also true if you look at spending by e.g. Early Modern governments, btw)

Interesting. When it comes to military spending, I only understand it as a percentage of GDP, like in the Cold War. The US was spending 5% of its GDP on the military in the 1980s. It was suspected that the Soviets were spending more as a GDP percentage...and was confirmed by some economics experts who defected to Britain in the 1980s. The Soviet Econ people floored MI5 debriefers when they were all "the Soviet Union spends 50% of its GDP on military stuff, you guys seriously."

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nebakenezzer posted:

Interesting. When it comes to military spending, I only understand it as a percentage of GDP, like in the Cold War. The US was spending 5% of its GDP on the military in the 1980s. It was suspected that the Soviets were spending more as a GDP percentage...and was confirmed by some economics experts who defected to Britain in the 1980s. The Soviet Econ people floored MI5 debriefers when they were all "the Soviet Union spends 50% of its GDP on military stuff, you guys seriously."

In terms of percentage of GDP you are talking similar figures to the USA, around 5-6% for the major combatants. Austria-Hungary was a outlier at around 2.5% due to the fact that Hungary could veto any raises in military spending, which they did. Regularly. Hence the Austro-Hungarian empire having no money at the outbreak of the war for things like artillery made in the current century.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Trin Tragula posted:

OK, as long as the world avoids tipping sideways for a few weeks, we are now genuinely and honestly on course to be back up to date and day by day as of tomorrow. Time for the dash to the first day on the Somme...

100 Years Ago (This Time In The Correct Month And With No Major Mathematical Errors)

7 June: Fort Vaux falls after a spirited defence. It's not enough. The Germans are planning more attacks. The Brusilov Offensive continues gaining momentum after the fashion of a snowball rolling downhill; it's time for my last word on Jutland; a look at the shortcomings of the Mark I tank (excellent for cooking bacon butties, not great at many more practical things); Evelyn Southwell has once again been gazumped out of his company command; Clifford Wells complains about nepotism in the Canadian army (never!); Herbert Sulzbach is getting all the news; two short paragraphs from Maximilian Mugge offer an opportunity to follow up the earlier Challenger 2 gag and to engage in a quick digression about his words for meal-times. Oh, and Bernard Adams is still pretty upset about Lance-Corporal Allan, as well he might be. But don't worry, something will be along to take his mind off it soon enough.

8 June: Hope you like a semi-random round-up of a lot of things that are happening re: the air war about now-ish. From the RFC sending pilots everywhere, through the Germans conspicuously not bombing the Voie Sacree, the French Army consolidating air assets for their part of the Battle of the Somme, it's all here. Oh yes, and the Germans have a new fighter type. General Fayolle sets out his expectations for how the French Somme will be fought; the Brusilov Offensive rolls on; Malcolm White at Beaumont Hamel becomes the latest victim of German sign warfare; and Maximilian Mugge bumps into a parson's cover story (thanks, Christian thread).

Was Mugge maybe being a bit Francophile? In French lunch is also "Diner".

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MikeCrotch posted:

I don't know about this "underwater hydromlic shack" but it sounds bladdy unsporting old chap :wotwot:

nah it's actually really cool, check out this motherfucker called a torpedo

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

MikeCrotch posted:

In terms of percentage of GDP you are talking similar figures to the USA, around 5-6% for the major combatants. Austria-Hungary was a outlier at around 2.5% due to the fact that Hungary could veto any raises in military spending, which they did. Regularly. Hence the Austro-Hungarian empire having no money at the outbreak of the war for things like artillery made in the current century.

I was just reading about this, and holy poo poo, bronze forged barrels in the 20th century? That's something else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FAUXTON posted:

nah it's actually really cool, check out this motherfucker called a torpedo

Like the submarine, it's just one of your toys Jackie Fisher. Not a proper weapon of civilized war between gentlemen.

Now if you'll excuse me I've got three ancient battleships to post to the Broad Fourteens.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

(armored cruisers)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Is there a reason stirrups were not widespread for mounted combat thousands of years before they became standard?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Animal posted:

Is there a reason stirrups were not widespread for mounted combat thousands of years before they became standard?

Horses had only gotten big enough for people to ride on top of them relatively recently, and nobody had thought of stirrups yet.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Probably bally not bladdy, the latter sounds more Australian :colbert:

And I was taught French lunch is dejeuner...

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 10, 2016

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

9 June: Further developments on the Eastern Front; we may just have a general retreat on our hands. There's another in the endless series of Anglo-French conferences, this one in London; General Currie has a very clever and sneaky plan to retake Mont Sorrel; E.S. Thompson watches the aeroplanes flying; Emilio Lussu has a long and hilarious discussion about booze; and Robert Pelissier loses eleven of his friends to enemy shelling.

10 June: Alessandro Salandra, the man who did so much to get Italy involved in this shitshow of a war, has been comprehensively outflanked by General Cadorna. A vote of no confidence will soon follow and he'll be replaced with a non-entity. In the Middle East, the Arab Revolt gets underway to an uncertain start; the Greek government rolls over for the Entente; Commandant de Bugger bombs the Goetzen and its new wooden gun; Henri Desagneaux is ordered to Verdun; Oskar Teichman meets some Egyptian flamingos; Malcolm White tries to take his mind off the Big Push with some thoughts about after the war; we meet new correspondent Alan Bott, who will be giving us the perspective of an aeroplane observer (not a pilot, the guy who sits in the other seat); and Maximilian Mugge gives us some thoughts on linguistics.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Huh. The Mugge who appears in your latest posts seems a lot different than that same Mugge I got glimpses of from checking out that book he wrote.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

cheerfullydrab posted:

Horses had only gotten big enough for people to ride on top of them relatively recently, and nobody had thought of stirrups yet.

'Reletively' in the galactic sense? The saddle had been invented a thousand years before the stirrup. And people had probably been riding bareback years before the first historical evidence of a saddle.

Animal, your question is one many people share. No one can really figure it out. One can imagine a horseman scientist of the day puzzling how to support his heavy rear end in combat. "If only I could bring stairs with me as I ride!"

It also might have been the supremacy of chariots in early 'mounted' combat delaying the invention. But that makes no sense because Europeans were nearly dead last in the 'stirrup' thing, and Europe's not a charioteering culture.

One can imagine how early non-stirrup wearing riders reacted to the introduction. "Oh poo poo, really? More straps? And you just like, stand in them? How do you not get dragged to death when you fall off though? Oohh, you fall off way less with these. Yeah, that makes sense. Dang."

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 11, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

feedmegin posted:

Broadly, yes, though bear in mind that turn-of-the-20th-century governments spent very little on social programmes or housing or education at all

Eh not really. Germany was guns ho on social programs under Bismarck. It was a really successful attempt to co opt the agendas of the social democrats to forestall real social change. As far as education goes it had been on the national governments radar in Prussia as far back as Frederick the great and a major reform issue on the post Napoleon shake up. France also had good public education at least by the 1880s = I want to say earlier but I don't know French educational history that well
What you're talking about holds true for the US and Russia but those are both developing nations at that point. Even in the US it's VERY regional. Out west and in the south it's pretty dire but in the northeast and Midwest you have a pelretty ok network of public schools up through the end of primary education.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh not really. Germany was guns ho on social programs under Bismarck. It was a really successful attempt to co opt the agendas of the social democrats to forestall real social change. As far as education goes it had been on the national governments radar in Prussia as far back as Frederick the great and a major reform issue on the post Napoleon shake up. France also had good public education at least by the 1880s = I want to say earlier but I don't know French educational history that well
What you're talking about holds true for the US and Russia but those are both developing nations at that point. Even in the US it's VERY regional. Out west and in the south it's pretty dire but in the northeast and Midwest you have a pelretty ok network of public schools up through the end of primary education.

Next thing you'll be telling us about how austerity affected the rise of the Nazis. :v:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Klaus88 posted:

Next thing you'll be telling us about how austerity affected the rise of the Nazis. :v:

Read that as autisim. :spergin:

edit: \/\/\/

Pellisworth posted:

Fascism is militarized political autism

Holy poo poo IT IS. That's amazing.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 11, 2016

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
How do you think the trains ran on time?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Fascism is militarized political autism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Woodchip posted:

How do you think the trains ran on time?

Somebody post a picture of those disturbingly detailed Nazi dream city models Hitler and Speer would play with for hours.

• Locked thread